Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 04:58:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 294
Total: 294

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: ATRIPLA - LOSING WEIGHT!!! THINK I FIGURED IT OUT!  (Read 4426 times)

Offline OakMax1

ATRIPLA - LOSING WEIGHT!!! THINK I FIGURED IT OUT!
« on: January 11, 2007, 02:30:59 am »
Hey Everyone it me!

While sitting in class tonight, I just figured out what wrong with me.  As I begin to ponder what was I doing differently prior to me losing weight.  I thought about and it clicked and I figured it out!!!!! 

I have a good friend who is a health nut and a PHD and he been Poz also, over 25 year and we been having these conversations about what I should and you should not be eating.  We had many conversations about sugar and salt, how I should cut them both out of my diet.  I agreed with him that I needed to cut them back because I wanted to be healthy and I knew that sugar was not good for you and salt was affecting my blood pressure.  Therefore, I took my friend advice and begin this sugar and salt reduction in my diet.  After looking back tonight, I realized I was not over doing the salt and sugar intake, and why in the hell was I cutting them back.   

I stop drinking coffee in the morning and even eating donuts on occasionally, stop eating sweets, and notice the change in my appearance but I did not catch until tonight.
Around Christmas my weight bounced back which I assume was from the holidays.  I remember eating sugar again, it just dawn on me.  Around the holidays my family cooks lot of cakes, pies, cookies, etc and I ate my fair share of sweets.  I was feeling great and weight about 215-20. 

My friend’s boy friend is a trainer and he recommended that I use him as nutrition and a fitness trainer.  I agreed and decided to use his boy friend services.  I paid him the money and he came over to my house to see what kinds of foods I was eating.  He suggested that I get rid of all my normal foods, meaning sugars and high salt contents, which I did and start buying low sodium and not many sweet items unless they where fruit, etc.

What is wrong with me!  He is not a certified nutritionist, am I crazy or what????  I was not eating my normal food and that made the different.  It has to be the answer, no sugars, and very little salt intake, and low diet food.  I am not on a diet and I LOVE SWEETS and I LOVE TO EAT!

My friends means well but I am a black man 6"2', 225 lbs and I need to eat!  My friends are white but they do not eat the same food I eat.  I could not survive on what they eat which is all health foods.....  I figured it out and I am sure that what it is.  Guess what I stop at KFC and order two breast with beans and rice, and two apple pies, love em....  I haven't had one in months!!!!!

I will use my friend lover to train but not as a nutritionist, I am eating what I want.  No its and/or buts about it, that the bottom-line....  I bet that what it is...  I haven't been eating properly in about a weeks.....

I guess after getting home from work and seeing my pants not fitting and I tried on about six other pants and they would not fit properly either, I TRIPPED OUT!!!  I FREAKED!   what is wrong with me!   

I am better and doing okay and FULL!   Guess what lets see what happens now!!!!

See you in a few days…. having me my two apple pies and going to bed!

Oakmax!
Go with it and KEEP MOVIN!  Life is good today and I am glad to be here

Offline budndallastx

Re: ATRIPLA - LOSING WEIGHT!!! THINK I FIGURED IT OUT!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 10:20:04 am »
The information you provided shows the change in diet is the reason for the weightloss. 

Check out this calorie tool to see how many calories you need in a day.  http://www.weightlossresource.com/tools/metabolism-calculator.cfm

My guess is reducing the sugar in your diet is the primary culprit since you've started to loose weight.  Most people loose 5-10# in their first week because of the reduction of sugar, salt, etc.  with the majority of this weight being water weight.  A normal diet transitions into 1-2# per week which is considered to be a healthy weight loss.  Anything higher results in body thinking it's in starvation mode and reduces your metabolism.

The salt reduction would be prudent in that salt is a major contributor to high blood pressure which is prevalent in black men.  The recommended daily intake is 2000Mg but most people consume much more than that.  Next time you're at the grocery store, look at the sodium content.  I think you'll be surprised at how much salt our processed food actually contains.

I heartily agree that you should see a registered nutritionist (preferably someone with a degree in this field) but I think you may be surprised to hear the recommendations will be the same or similar to the trainer's.

As for me, I am on a weight loss diet and am taking Sustiva/Truvada.  I have not  noticed an accelerated weight loss at this point.
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline OakMax1

Re: ATRIPLA - LOSING WEIGHT!!! THINK I FIGURED IT OUT!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 01:33:09 am »
Hello,

Thanks for the information, which I read this evening.  This weight loss is beginning to bother me because everyone I know is mention the lost of weight in my face and that "I am getting smaller".  A friend came over today and the first thing out of his mouth was are you sick, you loss a lot of weight.

Immediately, it hurt my feelings of course.  I thought everything seemed fine but  I guess it not.  I bought a big jar of weight gain from GNC which I am considering taking to gain the weight.   I also thought about taking a leave of absent from my job (go on disability) to get some real rest.   I have been truly confused this month and heart broken when all my other numbers look good. 

Seeing my doctor next week and depending on what happening, I am considering changing my doctor with the quickness.   Very unhappy about my progress because I am not trying to promote weight loss.   Wow, very depressed these last few weeks....

Oakmax1
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 01:36:10 am by OakMax1 »
Go with it and KEEP MOVIN!  Life is good today and I am glad to be here

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.