Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:40:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 352
Total: 353

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 1st Doctors appointment  (Read 11862 times)

Offline purplerain

• finally figured out the pic thing
1st Doctors appointment
« on: July 24, 2006, 03:40:52 pm »
Hey everyone I just back from my first Dr's appointment.  I have 2 say I'm glad it's over and I anxiously await the lab results.  They took 12 freaking tubes of blood so at that rate I figure the results should be like a book LOL. 

Blood pressure was 154/101 and when the nurse saw that she seemed really shocked and asked if It was always high but the doc didn't day anthing about it.  I'm not sure even what it is supposed 2 be so although I know it's high I don't know if it is something 2 be overly concerned about or if it was just the stress of the day.

Not sure what I think about the Doc.... He really seemed 2 be in a hurry and although he was more then willing 2 listen 2 and answer my questions it was still at the speed of light and I'm not sure I like that 2 much.  When I asked him if I could email him between appointments or call if I had concerns he was like nope just call the clinic.  I was hoping 2 avoid unnecessary trips down there over me freaking out about this that or the other.  We shall see how it goes. 

I might be part of a research study tracking the virus in people who are newly infected.  So part of my blood draw today will be sent away and they will be able 2 tell me weather or not i contracted it in the past 6 months or not.  If so in the beginning I will go in 4 blood draws every 2 weeks then every 4 then i think it was every 12 then 24 over the next few years.  Again we shall see what the results show on if I'm eligible 2 participate or not.  Hell I spent more time with the research group then I did with my id doc.  That really bothered me and I'm not even sure if it should or not LOL

Anyway just wanted 2 share my day, helps 2 get it off the brain thanks 4 listening/reading

BIG HUGZ JAG

P.S. does anyone know what would be a normal range 4 blood pressure 4 a 30yr old male? thanks

Offline Teresa

Re: 1st Doctors appointment
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 04:00:35 pm »
Hey Jag,

Well I'm glad you got your first appointment behind you. I'm not sure about blood pressure..it could have been high due to nerves and stress. I'm sure they will keep it monitored. Hubby's blood pressure was 130/72 last time he went.

Hubbys Dr is really good. She never seems rushed and always explains everything so we can understand. I know i have called there a few times with questions and i have to leave my name and number and the nurse calls me back. If she cant answer me she will talk to the Dr and call me back. I have never talked to the Dr over the phone but that's fine with me as long as the nurse has talked to the doc.

If you don't feel comfortable with your doc then id try to find one that you do feel at ease with. The doc works for you..so find one you like.

When do you get the results back? Make sure you ask for a copy of your labs. I keep hubbys in a notebook.

Hang in there hon..your doing great!

Hugs JAG
From TAG
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline purplerain

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 04:13:04 pm »
Teresa my next appointment isn't until Aug 24th 2 go over ALL of the results.  Doc said all the different tests will be rolling in at different times but that he would try 2 keep me informed as they came in then we can sit down and I guess go in depth about what they all mean. 

I also kind of thought that the blood pressure could have just been due 2 stress, at least I hope it is.

HUGZ TAG
FROM JAG

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 04:15:01 pm »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 08:24:49 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 04:16:19 pm »
Hey JAG,

That's one good thing done!

I feel that it is important you get a doc whom you trust. I went through a couple before I found one or maybe he found me ;)
I cannot compare with the situation in the states but I appreciate that mine always spends at least an hour with me and occasionaly answers my emails. I like the fact that he wants to be in touch with the other people I see who help me manage the situation, like my shrink, my acupuncturist etc...

I hope your results will be encouraging and that you'll soon find the best people to help you deal with your new status - outside this site that is (here it is more like a small town that is ready to help you, and 24/7 at that, what with the aussies, thais, africans, europeans and all those from the american continent).

Oh, and I thought I'd mention that I am glad you found how to put up your pic :D

stay well,

Pat
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline purplerain

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 04:31:24 pm »
Thanks Pat Thanks Alain... 120 over 80 ok now I'm a little worried LOL now 154 over 101 seems  really bad.  Alain is there anything I can watch out 4 when it comes 2 my b.p. that would be a signal that this is a real problem and not just the stress of today?

Thanks Jag

Offline sfca415

• love this place
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 04:36:37 pm »
Hey JAG,

Good that you're here -- you're off to a good start just asking questions like that. 

Your brain can't hold all that info in the beginning (or later for that matter).  Keep a journal so you can jot down questions to ask at your next visit.  Note how you're feeling or what you're experiencing. Read a lot and realize that it takes time to sink in, and keep going until you learn what you need to know to take care of yourself. 

You might find a good MD, but you need to be a proactive patient.  You can tell him/her to slow down, or ask for a better explanation if something doesn't make sense.  Do your homework and learn as much as you can about HIV, so you can be a good patient.

Sometimes you have to move on if your MD is not working for you.  A lot of people here will tell you that, I'm sure.

I went through years of not taking anything, back in the bad old days (pre-1995) when there wasn't much choice.  But I did lots of things to make myself healthy, and I had to try to find an MD who I could work with. 

I was doing Chinese herbs, meditation, and exercising, taking antioxidants and trying to follow Dr Jon Kaiser's work -- in those days, before combination therapy, he (wisely) didn't encourage many meds (since AZT monotherapy didn't help, really). 

And one of the lame MDs I had for a year or so, when I told him that my CD4s were getting better and I was feeling stronger, actually said to me "well, that won't last.  it's only a matter of time before you get worse again." 

I felt like a cartoon character with steam coming out of my ears.  Blood boiling, and all that.  I fired him and never went back. 

Since then, I have found a wonderful PA/NP who sees mostly HIV patients, appreciates non-western medicine and how it can complement pharmaceuticals, and keeps up with developments. 

Keep asking questions!

wishing you the best.

R
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 04:39:54 pm by sfca415 »
cd4+ 617 30% undetec - Jul06
cd4+ 221 17% 32K - Dec01
cd4+ 640 41% 5K - Feb96
current meds: Reyataz+Norvir, Viread, Epzicom, Valtrex, Wellbutrin
+ 1992, first meds 2002: Viramune (nvp), Zerit (d4t), Epivir (3tc) -- (m184v mutation & resistant to non-nukes, so no Atripla)

Offline purplerain

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 04:40:45 pm »
Thanks R

Offline sfca415

• love this place
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 05:03:16 pm »
hi again JAG, 

I forgot to ask if you knew if anyone in your family has a history of high blood pressure.  And have you been to any kind of doctor's appointment in the past few years?  If so, they should have a  "baseline" BP number, so you can go back to and see if it was high then, or just recently changed. 

BP numbers can definitely be elevated due to stress. I know I've had mine read high just from rushing to an appointment after nearly being late.  And even taking it at the end of the appointment, my numbers would be lower again.

Before treating you for HBP, your MD would want to see if the numbers were always high or just spiked up temporarily.

Rob
cd4+ 617 30% undetec - Jul06
cd4+ 221 17% 32K - Dec01
cd4+ 640 41% 5K - Feb96
current meds: Reyataz+Norvir, Viread, Epzicom, Valtrex, Wellbutrin
+ 1992, first meds 2002: Viramune (nvp), Zerit (d4t), Epivir (3tc) -- (m184v mutation & resistant to non-nukes, so no Atripla)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 05:37:42 pm »
Hello Jag,

That first Doctors visit can be a little overwhelming ! Kind a like being in some type of time warp, everything sometimes moves along so rapidly, and yet seems to stand still at times.

As far as all the blood that was drawn, I don't ever remember having that many drawn at one time, so it appears they are doing some good tests on you.

My doctor always seems to be in a hurry, sometimes I would like to take him and strap him to the chair !

Let us know the results of your blood tests. Ask your doctor for a copy of those results. If there is something you don't understand, or you didn't ask the doctor about, you can ask those questions here. I am concerned about the blood pressure. So that will certainly have to be discussed with your doctor.

A journal is a good idea. It is so easy to forget questions, that you may like to ask the doctor, so write them down, so they are there in front of you on your next visit.

Take care------Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Eldon

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 05:46:26 pm »
Hello JAG,

It is good to hear from you today about your Doctor's appointment. (12) twelve tubes is just about right when you get all your tests done. As far as your Doctor is concerned, they always seem to be in a hurry when they see you for your visits.

I lucked up and got a good Doctor one of the top (10) ten in Florida. He takes the time to explain everything and he stresses the do's and the don'ts.

As far as your blood pressure is concerned, it could be due to stress while you were all worked up for your first visit. I'm not a DOctor either. However, I did find a site that you may want to check your BP on. http://www.bpsuccesszone.com/info/tools/evaluator/blood_pressure_evaluator.jsp?creative=100002&site=100041&source=01030&campaign=CVZ-9473

Meanwhile, eat healthy and get plenty of excercise and plenty of rest. Keep us posted.

Offline purplerain

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 05:54:22 pm »
thank  u fellas-Ray and Eldon and again thanks Rob
I decided I'm not going 2 stress about the b.p. (would probably keep it elevated even if there is nothing wrong) and wait and see what it's like when I go in 4 my next visit next month.

THANKS AGAIN YOUR SUPPORT AND HELP NEVER CEASES 2 AMAZE ME
Jag

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 08:55:42 pm »
Jag,

sorry to hear about your BP issues on top of the big HIV issue, but BP is usually easily controlled with meds IF your doctor determines that you have hypertension.  Most times the doctors will want to see if the BP is elevated over 3 or so visits, and then decide upon a course of action at that time.

Nowadays i'm hearing that the "normal" range of BP is shifting downward for both systolic (top #) and dialstolic (bottom #).  I've even seen some BP devices at grocery stores and pharmacies reflect these lower values (in other words, 120/80 is now HIGH, go figure....)

My partner has hi BP and takes three different medicines to control his.  Hopefully it's just "white coat"syndrome...but if not, it's definitely something to keep tabs on.

Take care,
John

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 09:32:01 pm »
Hi JAG,
 I wouldn't fret too much over the BP thing. There are many factors that could influence your blood pressure.
I see you live in Colo.  so there may be an altitude issue, as well as the possibility of the state of your hydration, considering that the country has been entrenched in this heat wave. Factor in your stress levels of first visit with doc etc.......and one must also consider family genetics.....get my point? ;)..........
Since this was your first visit, and knowing that at least two of the vials of blood were for study inclusion, the other tubes all make sense. This will be your docs first foray into your normal baseline hemo-status. Complete blood count,( known as a CBC) liver function,hemoglobin&hematocrit,thyroid function, viral load, Tcell count with percentage, possibly an RPR, and a couple of others that escape me now.
I want you to just keep in mind, that unless you are currantly on your deathbed, there is not a lot to be anxious about. The virus is not going to suddenly metabolize at an astronomical rate, and become the virus that ate Philadelphia.
Eat well, get plenty of rest, and remember that we are all in the same boat with you. If you have questions you can always come here.    ........besides, you'll likely get better information, and advice here than with dockiepoo. ;D
Kisses
Lisa
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline purplerain

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 09:49:57 pm »
Thanks John Thanks Lisa....."The virus that ate Philadelphia" LOL I love it.  It does sometimes feel like the virus that ate my life (sex life, social life, self esteem) but I keep telling myself that it's only been a month since I found out and things will get better.

JAG

Offline Lisa

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2006, 09:53:41 pm »
Yer gonna be just fine sweetheart. We are pretty good at propping each other up in rough times.
I'm glad you're here.
.......Now,......please tell me that you call yourself purplerain for the reason I think you do...... :) ;D

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2006, 10:58:08 pm »
Jag,  Your first impressions of your doctor I think are important.  You will develop a very long lasting relationship with him/her.  If it comes down to it, and he doesnt wants to be a part of that relationship.  I would find one that does.  My doc is in Denver and I travel 200 miles per visit or they come up and see me 200 miles away.. I get all the face time I need.  His Email, his cell phone and can call him if ever I feel it necessary.  There are doctors like that!!!   Find one that treats you like you would treat someone....   

Love

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2006, 11:25:32 pm »
Hey JAG,

I would echo what others already said about the doc. I would see what the next appointment brings, with the labs, etc., and then, should he not be up to snuff, I would start looking around for someone who is.

As for the blood pressure, the norm is around 120 (called the systolic) over 80 (called the diastolic).
The number to really watch is the diastolic because it is an indicator of the stress your heart is experiencing trying to actually move blood through your body.

When the diastolic reading goes above 100, it can be a warning that something serious is going on. However, it could also be you were nervous about your first doctor visit. Believe me, it makes a difference.

A lot of things can affect your blood pressure: stress, diet (especially heavy salt usage or consuming lots of prepared, packaged or fast foods, lack of exercise, obesity, and a bunch of others.)

That said, you will have a better feeling of what is going on when you get it checked again. Since you are still quite young and appear very robust  ;) I would wager this one reading was just an anomaly.

Usually, I get the other end of the problem. My last blood pressure reading was 90/50. I am probably the only person I know whose doctor tells him to eat more salt and gain weight! UGH.

Anyway. Hang in there. You are taking an active role in your health care and that is one of the most important - and often ignored - steps that are possible.

Keep up the good work and let us know what's up.

HUGS,

Mark

Just an afterthought. Dehydration can also affect blood pressure. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and staying property hydrated.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 11:30:56 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline David_CA

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2006, 11:33:41 pm »
Blood pressure was 154/101 ...
P.S. does anyone know what would be a normal range 4 blood pressure 4 a 30yr old male? thanks

Hi Jag,

You sound like me about how you feel about your appointments!  Talk about blood pressure... I could feel mine rising.  Mine was 152/100.  The nurse took it again and asked me if I was going for a high score today!  I had a PA friend check it later and it was it's usual 136/68.  My Dr. didn't seem all that concerned about it either.  He's been treating HIV/AIDS patients for years and I'm sure has seen it happen before.  If it's concerning you, try to get somebody you know to check it away from a medical situation.  I've always had blood pressure that was borderline high until I started exercising regularly about 10 years ago.  That's kept it consistant, except for the stress of HIV!

I actually kind of like the appointments... at least those where I get my results.  I have a very active imagination and something concrete like how I'm REALLY doing sort of grounds me.  I have my third blood draw in two weeks, and I can't wait!   ;)  Right!  It does get easier as it goes on, though.  Take care and let us know how your numbers are.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2006, 11:47:54 pm »
Hey JAG...

Of course you're getting lots of good suggestions and advice.  On my last appt a couple weeks ago, my BP was much higher than usual.  It always it when I go to the Dr.  Usually I'm running late, running up stairs from the parking garage, just put out a cigarette, nervous, etc, etc...all things that make it go up, up, up.  Yet, the last time I was visiting my Grandma (a few months ago) I was playing with her little home BP dealy and everyone thought I was near dead.  It was down around 90 over 48.  I was totally relaxed, it was very warm in my grandma's house, etc.  I never worry about my BP and the Dr's office.  I just figure it's a matter of circumstances.  Maybe see if you can get it checked when you're NOT in that setting.  Just stop by the fire dept and have them check it (Note:  make sure it's not the hottest fireman at the station doing it as that may raise the BP as well.  ;) ) hehe  ahem...anyway....

That was some kind of vampire you had for a lab tech.  Holy cow...12 vials.  jeez louise.

Best of luck

Hugs,

Shane
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2006, 10:37:57 am »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 08:24:23 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline purplerain

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2006, 08:50:25 pm »
Thanks everyone.  Now if I could just take U all with me 2 my appointments I don't think I would have anymore problems.  Although there R a few men on here that make my B.P. rise so maybe that's not such a good idea LOL

I do know that whenever I start getting stressed or worried it helps SOOOOOOOOO much just 2 log on and read peoples posts and replies and 2 know I'm not going thru this alone.

Lisa my love theres only one Purplerain.  Everyone sing it with me

Purplerain Purplerain LOL HUGE Prince fan here anyone who ever gets 2 know me always says that they can never again here a Prince song without thinking of me LOL

HUGZ 2 ALL JAG

Offline Lisa

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 06:48:51 am »
EEEEEEEeeeeeeekkkkkk !!!!!!
I Knew it!I'm a huge fan too. He is definately a 200% showman when in concert.
I knew I liked you. ;D :-*

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.