Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:21:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 453
Total: 454

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Hiv windows period  (Read 14650 times)

Offline ateeqar6

Hiv windows period
« on: November 03, 2006, 07:46:35 pm »
Dear all I understand in uk windows period 3 months but what is it if you fir in one of the categories
mentioned on your forum ie weak immunie  system or drug takeing or cancer
Regards

Offline RapidRod

Re: Hiv windows period
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 08:13:01 pm »
Abusive hardcore IV drug users, persons on Chemo, persons taking antirejection drugs for transpants and people with severe immune suppress systems can take up to 6 months.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 08:41:24 pm »
ateeqar,

Even the majority of people with severe immune system problems such as the ones Rodney outlined will seroconvert and test positive by the end of the three month period. It's pretty much unheard of for a person, no matter what their health, to take longer than three months, with the majority of people testing positive by six weeks, if they're actually infected that is.

Would you like to discuss what has you worrying about window periods?

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ateeqar6

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 09:42:40 am »
I tested after 6 months was negative but now I am worried about my new wife and baby  baby being hiv
regards

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 09:45:34 am »
Why does your wife cheat on you? That would be the only way for her to be infected. You are conclusively negative. Period..... You can't give something you don't have.

Offline mack

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 09:53:24 am »
Hi all! Ann's welcome guide says most people seroconvert by 3 months. Less than 1% take upto 6 months. I hope I am not splitting hairs when I say then that a 13 week test is not conclusive as it is not true for less than 1% of those that test. I have had one at 14 weeks( negative)but am still convinced I have to wait for 6 months. Perhaps it's true for low risk cases.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2006, 10:03:42 am »
It's not true only for the 1% that fall in the above catagory that was mentioned. Most people convert by 6 weeks. You don't understand you are negative period. You don't have a window period of 6 nonths. What ever your thinking is it is not fact. We've given you the facts.

Offline mack

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006, 11:21:41 am »
"Some testing centers may recommend testing again at six months. All but less than 1% of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within three months (seroconversion is the development of detectable antibodies to HIV in the blood as a result of infection.) It's extremely rare for seroconversion to take more than six months to develop detectable antibodies"

Rod the above is from the welcome threadand reflects what is stated elsewhere on the net. I am not being semantic I hope when I point out that it goes from less than 1%- though I have seen 2% elsewhere!-to pointing out that it rarely takes more than 6 months which is a further 3 months window.I really appreciate your comments Rod but honestly don't see how you can be right,though I wish with all my heart you were.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2006, 01:44:48 pm »
Mack keep all your questions and thoughts in your own thread. If you would have bothered to read he was told that the only ones that convert later than 3 months fall in the above categorys.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2006, 01:48:45 pm by RapidRod »

Offline ateeqar6

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 03:41:44 pm »
So the fact that I have tested negative after 6months whatever the risk means i should not even consider another test in the ineterest of the childs health
Regards

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2006, 04:35:30 pm »
You are conclusively and reliably HIV negative. Period. End of story.

Your wife and baby can't catch something from you that you don't have. Give it up right now and get on with your life. No kidding.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline mack

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 05:45:06 pm »
apologies Rod! I wasn't trying to hijack the thread! I'll do as you suggest.

Offline ateeqar6

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 06:47:23 pm »
So when my wifes Antinata nurse says do oi have any concerns Should i say nothing
I dont feel it is fair that I should burden my wife with this stress/concern pregnancy is stressfull enough
and when the nurse she says do you want you baby to be tested for Hiv how should i respond
Reagards

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 07:34:42 pm »
ateeqar,

Babies are not tested for hiv unless the mother is already known to be hiv positive. Most mothers now days are tested for hiv early on in the pregnancy. There is no reason why your wife cannot take this routine hiv test. You are hiv negative and as you have been told, you cannot pass on what you do not have.

What you say to your wife's nurse is up to you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ateeqar6

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 06:26:33 pm »
Hi Anne thanks for the info how early on in the pregnancy are they tested
and do i have to ask for it specifically
Regards

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2006, 06:43:52 pm »
ateeqar,

In the UK, antenatal hiv testing is offered as a matter of routine. They ask you and you say yes, test, or no, don't test for hiv. It's that simple. If your wife has been been having regular antenatal check ups, she's probably already been asked to test. The tests are normally run in the first trimester, unless the mother presents later.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline ateeqar6

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006, 06:45:55 pm »
But i had high risk unprotected sex
doe that change anything
Regards 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 06:55:15 pm »
No, not with a negative result. That's what the testing is for, people that had high risk exposure.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006, 07:38:50 pm »
I wish you could see my lips when I say READ MY LIPS:

You have reliably tested negative for HIV. Period. End of story.

Maybe you have some lingering guilt or whatever about the situation. That's something it would be good to not burden your relationship with so take a good deep breath and let it go.

You are HIV negative. Really.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline ateeqar6

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2006, 06:42:25 am »
Thanks for all your help this is my testing history
Tested in june 2004 a year after incident result negative with Abbots Rapid test
Tested again in July 2004  with Elisa result negative
Tested  again in 2005 November 7th , Rapid Test   negative
I Am negative
Thanks again for all your help

Best wishes to all and thanks 
Regards

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2006, 10:39:40 am »
Negative. Negative. NEGATIVE! You ARE HIV negative.

No matter what fears crop up in your mind to the contrary you are STILL

HIV NEGATIVE. Finis.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.