Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:28:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 406
Total: 406

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: NYC reggae concert canceled after gay protests  (Read 12429 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
NYC reggae concert canceled after gay protests
« on: July 16, 2006, 07:46:47 pm »

http://www.topix.net/content/ap/0318740906398363601330760544340737276599

Citing concerns about potential violence, an organizer on Wednesday canceled a reggae concert meant to raise awareness of HIV/AIDS after protesters complained two of the scheduled performers were anti-gay.

The organizer, LIFEbeat, came under fire by black gay activists and bloggers after it was announced that Jamaican dancehall artists Beenie Man and the group T.O.K. were scheduled to perform during a concert next week at Webster Hall. Protesters asked that the artists be dropped or forced to denounce controversial lyrics.

Instead, LIFEbeat, which uses the music industry to raise awareness about HIV/AIDS, said it would cancel the event for safety reasons.

'The possibility of violence at the concert from the firestorm incited by a select group of activists makes canceling the event the only responsible action,' it said in a statement. 'It is very unfortunate, however, that the intended good that could result from bringing this community together around this potentially groundbreaking event will not be realized.'

Beenie Man and T.O.K. have released songs that deride gays through slang terms. One Beenie Man song calls for a lesbian hanging, and a T.O.K tune suggests gay men be burned.

Earlier this week, the concert organizer rejected the anti-gay lyrics but said including the artists would help reach a larger audience thanks to the popularity of their beat-driven dancehall music.

In statements earlier this week, T.O.K. said it had 'matured over the years,' and Beenie Man said, 'AIDS is an epidemic that doesn't discriminate. It's not a gay or a straight thing, it is a fight for life.'

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Hosted by: Topix.net Publisher Platform (beta)

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Eldon

Re: NYC reggae concert canceled after gay protests
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 09:16:58 pm »
Ray,

I think Lifebeat should have considered the odds with cancelling a benefit concert. We have to keep in mind that HIV/AIDS isn't just the gay community, it is also the heterosexual community as well. We are all in this together.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 02:54:24 am »
Hello Eldon,

I beleve that Lifebeat acted responsibly, under the circumstances. I know very well, that HIV/Aids is not a straight or gay issue. It is everyones issue !

As A gay man,( with aids) I would not attend a fundraiser, that reaked of discriminatory anti gay tones.

Further infomation  below :

http://www.villagevoice.com/blogs/powerplays/archives/002732.php

"One Beenie Man song calls for a lesbian hanging, and a T.O.K tune suggests gay men be burned."
 I don't know about you, but this bothers me extreemely.

Jamaica, is not a good place to be, if you are gay :

What else is going on in Jamaica :

http://www.ilga.org/news_results.asp?LanguageID=1&FileCategory=53&FileID=184

More on Brian Williamson's Death :

http://www.sodomylaws.org/world/jamaica/janews017.htm

Just my thoughts ------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 03:49:44 am »

And lets not forget Steve Harvey's murder in Jamaica :

http://www.christian-aid.org.uk/news/stories/051201s3.htm

Jamaican HIV defender murdered on eve of World AIDS Day /01.12.05

Steve Harvey from Christian Aid partner, Jamaica AIDS Support for Life (JASL), has been murdered.  He ran a programme providing support to gay men and sex workers.

Three men, armed with guns, broke into Mr Harvey’s house and demanded money. They then forced him to carry valuables into the JASL car parked outside.

One of the gun men was reported to have said to Mr Harvey and his two house-mates: ‘We hear that you are gay’. Two of the men denied it. They were tied up and left in the house. Steve was forced into the car which then sped away. Two hours later, he was found, shot dead.

Jamaica has one of the highest murder rates in the world. With a population of only 2.7 million people, the country has seen 1,383 murders in 2005 alone. Gun violence is common and homophobia rife.

Homophobia

Victims of homophobic violence are often too scared to appeal to the police for protection. According to Human Rights Watch: ‘Police actively support homophobic violence, fail to investigate complaints of abuse, and arrest and detain [men] based on their alleged homosexual conduct.’

Last year, the founder of Jamaica’s gay rights movement, Brian Williamson, was murdered. Investigators claimed the motive for murder was robbery, since a safe was missing and the apartment ransacked. However, many believe the killing was a hate crime.

Homosexuality is illegal in Jamaica: men convicted of homosexual activity can face ten years’ imprisonment with hard labour.

A Christian Aid spokesperson said: 'JASL defends the rights of people who are not considered to have any rights in Jamaica. The work they do is very dangerous.'

HIV

Human Rights Watch also states: ‘Jamaica’s growing HIV/AIDS epidemic is unfolding in the context of widespread violence and discrimination against people living with and at high risk of HIV/AIDS, especially men who have sex with men.’

An estimated 1.5 per cent of Jamaicans are living with HIV/AIDs. Although two thirds of HIV transmission is through heterosexual sex, many people still blame gay men for spreading the virus.

On Sunday, Mr Harvey led JASL’s annual candle-lit vigil in memory of those killed by HIV. JASL is now mourning the death of one of their strongest defendants of people living with HIV/AIDS.

• News index
• Christian Aid and HIV/AIDS

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 08:49:04 pm »
In statements earlier this week, T.O.K. said it had 'matured over the years,' and Beenie Man said, 'AIDS is an epidemic that doesn't discriminate. It's not a gay or a straight thing, it is a fight for life.'
Is that supposed to be an apology?
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 09:22:52 pm »
After reveiwing your response, I can see why with a global perspective on hate crimes that the lyrics of those singers calls for an act of violence for the people who beleive in what these artists are saying and it could have resulted as such at the concert.

The lyrics are kind of to the point as far as what they beleive in. Johnny had asked if there was an apology in the lyrics?

The fact remains, we have a pandemic in this world, and things are only going to get better if the world accepts this no matter what their nationality is. I should say regardless of what the nationalities believe in. We have to work on HIV/AIDS together to fight against it.

Hate crimes is one thing that isn't going to solve it. It's just going to cause more chaos instead of a workable solution.

Offline brandy

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 03:15:07 pm »
First of all let me say that the concert should not have been cancelled because I am sure there were other performers there who were not anit-gay, Secondly I myself am Jamaican  was born there, lived there until i migrated to the USA in 2000.
People would have to understand the culture in Jamaica to understand why Jamaicans are homophobic, I myself used to be until I contracted the hiv virus, and funny enough the first place I got help was from Jamaica Aids Support, and i found myself in a room with people who were gay and hivt, and the only thing that mattered then was that we were all living with a disese that scared the shit out of us.

Enough to say it was my being on the other side of the fence and being treated like a nobody because of hiv staus that helped me to realise that people are people regardless of sexual orientation, race class or creed.
I have lost tons of friends to this disease both gay and straight.
The culture in jamaica does not realise the gay lifestyle as a lifestyle condusive to the laws of god,  in the same manner when aids hit jamaica people said it was a punishment from god,
 that changed when hivt persons like myself and others went public adn decided to try to educate the wider population about hiv/aids.
That helped to higten the awarness of hiv/aids, now a lot more is being done to educate and promote hiv/aids awareness, i was the vice president of the network of persons in jamaica living with hiv/aids, called the jamaican network of seropositives and we went to hell and back trying to let our voices be heard.

The hypocrasy is that alot of these entertainers from jamaica who hurl anti gay lyrics are themslves closet gays,
they will go to places like new york and chicago and do their thing and then go back home to jamaica and pretend to be what they are not, I myself have a problem with alot of these entertainers, not only do they hurl anti gay lyrics but their songs also disrespect woman.
The problem is as long as there  is a market for this kind of crap, it will not stop.
The big problem is IGNORANCE, and as a jamacian I am ashamed of my  fellow country men who thinkl that in order for their records to sell thay have to disrespect others.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 06:00:56 pm »
Hello Brandy,

Thanks for expressing your thoughts on this issue. I appreciate it. And thanks for putting yourself out there, and educating and informing people about HIV/AIDS. I had just read that things are taking a favorable turn in Jamaica, but obviously there is still a long way to go, not only in Jamaica, but throughout the world. You know it, I know it... The more educated people are on HIV/AIDS, the less stigma, fear, and hatred ! Take care of yourself...

Thanks-----Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 07:14:31 am »
Response to Brandy, if there was a concert with members of the KKK would you feel the same way. Unfortunately you are known by who you hang with.
Secondly if Beenie Man said something anti Semitic a la Mel Gibson, there would be a different stronger penalty. It is good the other artists must distance themselves from him,  till Beenie man apologies and then does something to prove he has over come his homophobia.

People would have to understand the culture in Jamaica to understand why Jamaicans are homophobic,
Why we didn't need to understand the culture in South Africa to know apartheid was wrong.

Please tell us why we need to understand hate. Germany is still paying for it. We need to treat homophobia like anti semitism or racism. What is hypocritical  is the book of peace is used to justify war and hate.

South Africa was penalized  for it's hateful policies Jamaica and other countries  as well as religions  should be too. Hate is hate and what I find is that people who hate gays don't stop there, just hide it, like Mel.
This isn't an attack on you but this form of ignorance shouldn't be rewarded either for gays , or any other people.
In fact it should go further, stores should be boycotted who sell his records. Radio stations that play his music and their advertisers should be penalized. 
Like the rap community or American gov't we know the hypocrisy because we sleep with these guys- now that is hypocrisy
Cheers
Johnny
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 07:16:28 am by alisenjafi »
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline brandy

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 11:42:35 am »
Dear Johnny,
Apparantly it is your ignorance that is overwhelming, If you had read my post PROPERLY like the previous person before you, you would have understood exactly what I was trying to say.
I am in no way condoning gay bashing, and if you remember years ago americans themselves were bashing gays, until a few brave ones decided to come out of the closet and try to educate the public about a lifestlye thaat was deemed WRONG.
It takes EDUCATION and UNDERSTANDING for HUMAN BEINGS to fathom what is beyond their comprehension.
I did say that the concert should not have been cancelled BECAUSE I AM SURE THERE WERE OTHER PERFORMERS WHO WERE NOT ANTI GAY, I also did state that I was ashamed of beenie man and the others like him.
And since you decided to make this about RACE no i would not attend  a KKK concert, and even if I was caucasian I would not attend either, as much as i am Jamaican I do not approve of a lot of the music that comes from Jamaica, just as much as i do not approve of rap or hip hop.
I also said that when AIDS came to Jamaica the feeling of hatred was much the same, and IT TOOK PEOPLE INFECTED LIKE MYSELF TO GO OUT AND EDUCATE THE PUBLIC ABOUT THE DISEASE SO THAT THEY WOULD UNDERSTAND.
Next time try to understand what you read before being so quick to JUDGE.

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 05:41:47 pm »
Brandy I understood everything you were saying. In fact if you bother to read my post where I bring up the American gov't as well as religious organizations  for their part in spreading hate, whether Southern Churches who condoned lynching or those nuts protesting military funerals.
 America still has gay bashing - just a while back a guy in the epicentre of gay life  Christopher street , in the Village was bashed. So please reread the very end of my post before you judge!

As for your opening statement , just because I believe it is right to have it banned or better just have Beenie Man banned doesn't make me ignorant.  My question is why Beenie Man hasn't been made to go to counseling unlike Mel Gibson, or the way Marlon Brando had to apologize, why hasn't his record company tell him to apologize or else?
 Why because in the end unlike race it still is okay to be a little anti gay.
 Do you think if Beenie Man said anything disparaging about other groups he would get away with it- I doubt it. Yet he still gets airplay and sells records, unlike the Dixie Chicks who are still  boycotted in some of the American market for what they said.

Cheers
Johnny
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 05:45:38 pm by alisenjafi »
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Offline brandy

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 08:28:13 pm »
Hi Johnny,
I am sorry if i came on too strong, I agree that artists like bennie man should be punished and made to apologise for their remarks, but like i said as  long as there is a market for the crap that they sell we have a big problem, and like i said I know for a FACT that a lot of these aritists who hurl their gay bashing lyrics, are themselves GAY, you would be surprised at the things that comes to light when you become involved in the public world of hiv/aids, and if i could name names I would, which many times we who were in the front line in Jamaica as Activists for hiv/aids wanted to do but were warned about lawsuits against us.

The other problem is while I was in New York at the UN AIDS Conference in 2000 or 2001, my eyes became even more open, I went to a couple of gay bars and clubs with friends of mine, and I was surprised to see a couple of gay bashing artists there doing their thing.
The other point is for example take Jamaica which is a very poor country (WHICH IS NO EXCUSE), the government is more concerned about the revenue these so called artists bring in, and not concerned about what the lyrics are saying, Bob Marley the king of regae music would die a second time if he cloud here what is now being termed as Reggae music.
When I lived in Jamaica there were many artists like beenie man who had lyrics that also degraded women, and yet their biggest fans were women, the problem is IGNORANCE.
Maybe if we can start the process of writing letters to music stores, recording companies, clubs, bars etc, for a boycott on the products and performances of these artists, that will be a start.
take care
Brandy

Offline alisenjafi

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 07:47:33 am »
Hi Brandy thanks maybe I wasn't clear enough in my pov. As long as people can hide behind others they feel they can get away with this crap whether gay bashing or misogyny.

Why did the promoters feel it necessary to have this one performer with questionable ethics?
It is clear when the Dixie Chicks said one thing about one person they felt the economic repercussions, so we know it works.
I would like to see Beenie Man work in an AIDS center and realize he is talking about people. Maybe someone needs to out these guys for the hypocrites they are whether a rap artist or politician in Seattle.
I am not the first one to promote censureship but if your spouting hate and making money off it that is something else. The problem with people is if it doesn't affect them they don't want to think about it. Yet it tends to bite us all in the ass one day.
What I found interesting on the other Jamaican thread was some of those companies are international not solely Jamaican!
Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
The Smiths

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.