Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:41:11 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 802
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 762
Total: 763

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: LTNPs and AIDS Denialism  (Read 7369 times)

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
LTNPs and AIDS Denialism
« on: March 18, 2008, 07:11:04 pm »
A friend of mine last year admitted to me he had HIV and was poz for over 10 years.  Never had any symptoms and said he "forgets" he's poz all the time and not on meds.
I was excited when he told me was poz as I was just diagnosed and didn't know anyone close to me who was poz too.
He then started to go on this aids denialist tirade and I just had stop him and ask, "So you're telling me...if your numbers went down you WOULDN'T go on meds?"

He didn't really answer...I just still trip out on him...maybe he denies HIV is real because he's never had any symptoms.  I just can't get over that tirade and links he sent me that day. Creepy.
Jan 08       321/23%  VL 92,000 (very mild shingles)
Feb 1 08    Start Truvada+Viramune
March 08    470/33%  VL 320
mid-May     Start Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada
June 08      571/ 40%     VL   80
August 08   585/ 33%     VL >50
Nov  Lab error!!!!!!!!wah.
Jan 09        535      Undetectable
March 11     756

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: LTNPs and AIDS Denialism
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 07:26:38 pm »
HIV can make it real easy to forget until you wake up in hospital bed, which is a likely possibility for your friend here.  If he's that much into denial / ignoring, he probably has no clue what his numbers are...and won't know til his number's up.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 07:34:21 pm »
HIV can make it real easy to forget until you wake up in hospital bed, which is a likely possibility for your friend here.  If he's that much into denial / ignoring, he probably has no clue what his numbers are...and won't know til his number's up.
It's weird cuz it think he does knows his numbers cuz he linked me to some bullshiz on lab tests and their validity. I guess I left that part out.  I wonder if he even discloses.  I still need to hit that. He's hot!
March 11     756

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 07:35:38 pm »
I went 21 years with great numbers and not on medication but I can't ever say that I forgot that I had HIV. It's not the same as when you have to take meds every day and it's thrown in your face, day in day out. I'll grant him that.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 07:37:29 pm »
  I wonder if he even discloses.  I still need to hit that. He's hot!

Hrmmmm.....see how you are!   ;)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 08:02:27 pm »
There have been a lot of people who were AIDS denialists.   HIV has a way of kicking you in the ass, with a BIG OLD pair of boots on......

Sometimes, even the big 'kick' doesn't convince them.   I don't waste a whole lot of time thinking about them and their issues (or non-issues).   If I'm anything, I'm a realist.   And HIV is, unfortunately, very real.

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 10:34:32 pm »
 I never heard the term Aids denialest until reading post and threads in this forum. After thinking about it I realized that's was me years ago. After a couple of years POZ. and never getting sick I went into a Denialist state. I had convinced myself that I would never get sick or have to go on meds.

I had a lover that was negative, we were together 6 or 7 years and he liked to party as much as I did.
Somehow I promised him I wouldn't ever take meds or give up my world tour of of drugs and booze.
 He was with me at my doctors office the day I was told my cd4 count was low, I had Kaposi sarcoma and needed chemotherapy. I had damaged my liver but it would probably recover if I laid off the bad stuff.
Before I could speak He blurted I shouldn't do it , don't you remember what you promised... We asked him to leave. On the way home he got really quite after I told him I wanted to live and I was going to do as my Doctor advised. After that day he was rarely home.

About a month of this I found out he had been cheating on me for over a year, mostly with our best friend. He finally told me the truth, that he was only staying with me to make me happy because I loved him so much. He wasn't angry just matter of fact when he said that he was just waiting for me to die so he could go on with his life I moved out the next week.... That's the day my denial ended.

This thread brought up memory's . Some hurtfull some empowering. Hope this wasn't a hijack...Jeff 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Lis

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 11:34:53 pm »
Hi Mike,
I found out I was poz in 1986... I put my head in the sand and did nothing.. (well I did leave my first husband, and my child and I made a new life)

it wasn't until 2004 (i think) that I ended up in hospital with PCP...

we all work in differant ways with this crap.. your way is your way, others might find comfort in forgetting...

respect,

lisbeth
poz 1986....

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 12:19:42 am »
Hey Mike,

I tested poz in 1985.

I've been blessed with good health without medications throughout.  Having said that, not a day goes by that I don't count my blessings. Being an LTNP does not mean that I will always be one. So, each healthy day is a gift. With this gift, I participate in several global LTNP research studies. It's something that I can give, that for me is a tangible expression of how grateful I am for each new healthy day.

in Peace
Paul

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 08:01:20 am »
There's a difference between putting one's head in the sand (personal denial) and AIDS Denialism. Aids denialists claim that hiv does not cause aids and a whole lot of other bunkum.

There aren't many aids denialists around anymore because... well, because most of them died (or are dying) of aids! Imagine that!

To remind any new people here, we do not permit hiv denialist links or material to be posted on these forums.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Iggy

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 08:15:26 am »
There's a difference between putting one's head in the sand (personal denial) and AIDS Denialism.

I agree and have come across the former more often than the latter. 

I think what has is a bigger problem is the dual personalities of some with the personal denial issue where one moment they pretend HIV is not anything to worry about and the next moment they are trying to tell others about some herb or supplement that they worship to fight off the virus; too many newbies (both to the virus and treatment) get caught up in this.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 08:46:55 am »
HIV and HIV alone gets to decide how long you get to live in denial. When it decides to creep up on you, tapping you on the shoulder shouting "remember me", there will be no denying.

Offline David_CA

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 09:18:05 am »
HIV and HIV alone gets to decide how long you get to live in denial. When it decides to creep up on you, tapping you on the shoulder shouting "remember me", there will be no denying.

Amen to that!  In my case, it was a swift kick in the butt and sure got my attention (though I certainly wasn't in denial). 

There aren't many aids denialists around anymore because... well, because most of them died (or are dying) of aids! Imagine that!

How true! 

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 10:19:35 am »
I'm with Alan, I'm a realist.

Denialists are a waste of time. It is usually like arguing religion, circular arguments going nowhere.

I spent the first seven years after testing positive ignoring that fact. I was lucky to have a friend who kicked me in the ass and got me into treatment before the virus did.

As for those who denied AIDS' existence or that HIV was the virus doing the dirty work, most are dead.

For those who are still around, I don't have time to waste on their foolishness.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 10:31:12 am »
Back in the early 90's, I had a friend who was on the trip about HIV not causing AIDS etc.  until  she was diagnosed with toxoplasmosis.  Then she changed her tune.  Unfortunately, it was too late. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 11:48:56 am »
Back in the early 90's, I had a friend who was on the trip about HIV not causing AIDS etc.  until  she was diagnosed with toxoplasmosis.  Then she changed her tune.  Unfortunately, it was too late. 

There's a difference between putting one's head in the sand (personal denial) and AIDS Denialism. Aids denialists claim that hiv does not cause aids and a whole lot of other bunkum.

Betty, that's a sad story.  :-\ I think the heyday of the denialists was the mid and late 90's. Some head-in-the-sand denialists get tested for HIV regularly because they "just wanna see" if they can test neg year after year sort of like Russian Roulette. Of course they get the bullet eventually. I should know because what I just described was me. Now as for the bunkum-spreading denialists, they often feel they're on a crusade against "AIDS, Inc." and spend lots of energy and time spreading bunkum. I assume some of these loudmouths will sometimes take an HIV test whenever they feel like doing so, which to me indicates an ounce or two of doubt and they're often fanatics of natural health (like mentally unstable extreme nutcases).

Shadow, your friend totally needs to know what his numbers are.  :-\

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 01:13:13 pm »

To remind any new people here, we do not permit hiv denialist links or material to be posted on these forums.

Ann

Hi Ann!!
 You're right...cuz we talked more and I think we came to the conclusion that he would start meds if "anything happened"...so I guess he is more of the "head in the sand" type.   Those links had my head spinning for hours and I almost started to believe all the shiz he was linking me to.  I think I joined Aidsmeds soon after...
March 11     756

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 01:14:18 pm »
Betty, that's a sad story.  :-\ I think the heyday of the denialists was the mid and late 90's. Some head-in-the-sand denialists get tested for HIV regularly because they "just wanna see" if they can test neg year after year sort of like Russian Roulette. Of course they get the bullet eventually. I should know because what I just described was me. Now as for the bunkum-spreading denialists, they often feel they're on a crusade against "AIDS, Inc." and spend lots of energy and time spreading bunkum. I assume some of these loudmouths will sometimes take an HIV test whenever they feel like doing so, which to me indicates an ounce or two of doubt and they're often fanatics of natural health (like mentally unstable extreme nutcases).

Shadow, your friend totally needs to know what his numbers are.  :-\
Eh I really don't talk to him anymore... but what can you do?
March 11     756

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 01:17:49 pm »
Damn that's sad.
March 11     756

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 01:21:08 pm »
Hey Mike,

I tested poz in 1985.

I've been blessed with good health without medications throughout.  Having said that, not a day goes by that I don't count my blessings. Being an LTNP does not mean that I will always be one. So, each healthy day is a gift. With this gift, I participate in several global LTNP research studies. It's something that I can give, that for me is a tangible expression of how grateful I am for each new healthy day.

in Peace
Paul
That's great Paul... I need to be more grateful like you. 11 months since diagnosis and i'm not a ray of sunshine yet but reading this made me smile.   :)
March 11     756

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 01:23:50 pm »
Lis,  I'm sorry you went through that...but glad you made it through!

jeff,  Wow..."waiting for (you) to die"??  Crazy story...glad you are still around to share that. :)

modified: cuz I obviously haven't had my coffee yet
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 01:30:20 pm by shadowfluid »
March 11     756

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 02:05:29 pm »
 I apologise for writing all that stuff ...just got carried away I suppose. its been over 9 years ago and I'm just now getting over it in the past year.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 02:16:54 pm »
I apologise for writing all that stuff ...just got carried away I suppose. its been over 9 years ago and I'm just now getting over it in the past year.

If you say so, but it seemed to fit right in with the topic to me. 

I gotta say from reading Mark and Lis' posts, it's quite a different thing to have stuck your head in the sand in the in 80's / early 90's vs. now (in my opinion).  When there were no real treatments available, personal denial might have gone a long way toward mental survival.  Now, when there are treatments available, sticking one's head in the sand just seems so much more like recklessness & flirting with disaster.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 02:34:22 pm »
jg,

I agree with Thunter that it seemed to fit in with exactly what this thread is talking about. I don't think you owe any apologies - least of not to yourself for feeling what you do.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 02:48:07 pm »
  Thanks guys ..kinda new around here. 25 years of being poz and putting up the brave front and never letting them see you sweat has programmed me into keeping things inside. I came to this forum because I thought with my experience I could help others. I was wrong I have already gotten more from you guys than I will ever be able to say. That's the thing about denial , you can be sick, lonely, and hurting and if you live with it long enough it can kill you.....Thanks
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 03:20:06 pm »
Jg, I'm a suck it up and go on person myself, but these forums have proven a wonderful source of support time and again.  I'm glad you're with us.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2008, 03:42:45 pm »
 Bettytacy ... thank you so very much. All that you are dealing with and you took the time to say this to me is says volumes about the kind of person you are. You brought a tear to my eye.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.