Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:23:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 331
Total: 332

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Smoking & Drinking while on Stribild  (Read 13659 times)

Offline Mark010

Smoking & Drinking while on Stribild
« on: January 15, 2014, 08:01:31 pm »
Yesterday I just started taking Stribild.

So far no major side effects besides stinky gas, and I hope & pray that I won't get any major side effects but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

But my question to anyone who's had experience with taking Stribild, (or any HIV medication for that matter) is it ok to smoke marijuana while on the meds?

My doctor already told me to wait at least one month before drinking alcohol while on the meds but I had forgot to ask about smoking marijuana while on meds. (I don't smoke tobacco or anything else so that isn't my concern)

I usually smoke on a daily basis so I've been itching to inhale some green all day.

Does anyone or has anyone had any problems with this?

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Smoking & Drinking while on Stribild
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 08:05:47 pm »
I have never heard of a HIV med that has a negative side effect profile when mixed with weed . When I lived in California my doctor suggested I smoke if I had any nausea , so I say have a puff if it makes you feel good .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 08:29:13 pm »
Burn it.

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Mark010

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 08:34:50 pm »
Perfect! Thanks for your responses so far guys!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 08:21:19 am »
Mark, the one and only caveat to smoking weed is - don't let it make you forget to take your meds! It's always a good idea to get a weekly pill tray so you can know at a glance if you've taken your meds or not - and it's an even better idea to have one when you like a daily smoke.

Is it 4:20 yet? ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 10:24:27 am »
Just remember, smoking one joint damages your lungs like smoking 20 cigarettes. I'm not a pot smoker but isn't a vaporizer the way to go? There are those large contraptions for home use but also now more discreet vaporizers like Pax to use on the go, though they are an investment at $250
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:27:34 am by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 12:03:40 pm »
Just remember, smoking one joint damages your lungs like smoking 20 cigarettes.

Sounds like scaremongering exaggeration to me. Got a link to a study (published in a peer-review, respected journal) to back up your claim?

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 12:23:05 pm »
Sounds like scaremongering exaggeration to me. Got a link to a study (published in a peer-review, respected journal) to back up your claim?

Since I know you masturbate to The Guardian daily and trust it as a news source, I'll reduce my claim to more like five cigarettes, but I've also read other reports of 10 to 20 so I'm not sure there's any consensus other than it's (logically) more damaging:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2007/jul/31/drugsandalcohol.drugs

All I am advising is a daily pot smoker should investigate a more healthy delivery system -- do you have a problem with that recommendation?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 12:44:08 pm »
There are also various peer reviewed items if you search on this site: http://thorax.bmj.com -- specifically for respiratory medicine

Also addresses effects of smoking heroin, etc.

Would you like me to ask for details from Dr. Kotler at Penn Lung Center during my next visit for a sleep apnea follow up? I shall be scheduling one soon since I'm waking up during sleep with acid reflux and gagging -- very enjoyable. He's been on Oprah so I'm sure he knows the answer.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 12:49:46 pm »
Since I know you masturbate to The Guardian daily and trust it as a news source, I'll reduce my claim to more like five cigarettes, but I've also read other reports of 10 to 20 so I'm not sure there's any consensus other than it's (logically) more damaging:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2007/jul/31/drugsandalcohol.drugs

All I am advising is a daily pot smoker should investigate a more healthy delivery system -- do you have a problem with that recommendation?

I don't read The Grauniad, I read The Independent (the i, actually). So that blows that little theory of yours out of the water. And besides, I've got plenty in my own imagination and don't need outside stimuli for a wank. As if.

I absolutely do not have a problem with a better delivery system. I'm all about harm-reduction, having worked in the drug-misuse field. Having worked in the field is also why I don't like off-the-top-of-the-head-exaggerated-scaremongering fake stats like your first post included.

Would you like me to ask for details from Dr. Kotler at Penn Lung Center during my next visit for a sleep apnea follow up? I shall be scheduling one soon since I'm waking up during sleep with acid reflux and gagging -- very enjoyable. He's been on Oprah so I'm sure he knows the answer.

Sure. Go for it.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline buginme2

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 12:52:40 pm »
Just remember, smoking one joint damages your lungs like smoking 20 cigarettes. I'm not a pot smoker but isn't a vaporizer the way to go? There are those large contraptions for home use but also now more discreet vaporizers like Pax to use on the go, though they are an investment at $250

Finally something I can speak first hand on.

I have a PAX.  It's quite the niffty contraption.  It's much easier on the lungs and I prefer it to the traditional smoking method.  It also produces a much more stable/mellow high and doesn't produce the harsh high that smoking can. 

It's also perfect for travel or a night out as it fits discretely in your pocket.

Worth the investment.  It's much better than smoking the traditional way..easier on the lungs like P mentioned.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 01:06:40 pm »
Finally something I can speak first hand on.

I have a PAX.  It's quite the niffty contraption.  It's much easier on the lungs and I prefer it to the traditional smoking method.  It also produces a much more stable/mellow high and doesn't produce the harsh high that smoking can. 

It's also perfect for travel or a night out as it fits discretely in your pocket.

Worth the investment.  It's much better than smoking the traditional way..easier on the lungs like P mentioned.

Awesome -- looks like the best thing out there and really the price isn't THAT bad if you smoke daily. I'm almost considering it for tobacco use now, technically that's what it was designed for. How long have you been using PAX?

Do you have a lot of high end vapor bars now in Seattle?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 01:21:46 pm »
I don't read The Grauniad, I read The Independent (the i, actually). So that blows that little theory of yours out of the water. And besides, I've got plenty in my own imagination and don't need outside stimuli for a wank. As if.

Don't you go old school and roll your own tobacco?  How's that work out without a filter in terms of lung health?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 01:46:42 pm »
Don't you go old school and roll your own tobacco?  How's that work out without a filter in terms of lung health?

I use these:

Don't they have those in that backwater you live in? I would have thought they'd be available mere blocks from your penthouse, dahlink.

I also use these:

Any other misconceptions about me I can clear up for you?

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 01:49:27 pm »
Oops, sorry Mark for the hijack. I was thinking this thread was in Off Topic - it's such an OT type subject.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline buginme2

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 02:43:06 pm »
Awesome -- looks like the best thing out there and really the price isn't THAT bad if you smoke daily. I'm almost considering it for tobacco use now, technically that's what it was designed for. How long have you been using PAX?

Do you have a lot of high end vapor bars now in Seattle?

I've had the pax for almost a year.  It works pretty well, no complaints.  Since I smoke pot in it it gets sticky which requires that it be cleaned after each use.  It's pretty easy to clean, just a pipe cleaner and some alcohol.

The bad thing about it is that it requires more pot than what you would normally need say if you were smoking from a pipe.  Which isn't necessarily a bad thing it's just is. 

I've never tried it but from what I've heard the volcano is big ol vaporizer that gets you pretty baked.  The pax is kinda the complete opposite.   It doesn't knock you out, it's a nice mellow high.  Actually, sometimes, I will smoke it before I go running or swimming.  It kinda clears your mind and you can exercise for a long time.

I don't know of any high end vapor bars.  It's against the law to smoke indoors here (cigarettes or otherwise) so I don't know if vaporizers are covered in that law or not.  I'd have to research.  Basically just like cigarettes at any bar people are standing outside smoking..their weed or cigarettes.

I will say, that since we legalized marihuana here...Seattle smells like weed.  It seems every where you go lately it smells like weed. 

On ps.  I don't smoke every day...but if I did, I would go with a vaporizer or pax...definitely

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 02:52:18 pm »

Don't they have those in that backwater you live in? I would have thought they'd be available mere blocks from your penthouse, dahlink.

They have all sorts of accouterments for the crack addicts in the hood at the gas station around the corner.

Any other misconceptions about me I can clear up for you?

Probably, but I'm busy washing skid marks out of my 700 thread count sheets. Plus there were just two huge explosions in my neighborhood and now I can hear a high pitch ringing going on outside in the back.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 02:54:55 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2014, 03:35:08 pm »
They have all sorts of accouterments for the crack addicts in the hood at the gas station around the corner.

You obviously know more about where to get crack addict accoutrements than I do. Never been interested in cocaine or any of its derivatives.

The most exciting thing "substance-wise" I do these days is have a fag with my morning cuppa. Must be getting old. ~sigh~

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 10:55:06 am »
You obviously know more about where to get crack addict accoutrements than I do. Never been interested in cocaine or any of its derivatives.

The most exciting thing "substance-wise" I do these days is have a fag with my morning cuppa. Must be getting old. ~sigh~

No, I just see obviously strung out individuals in the attached store asking for items that I'm not particularly familiar with. I'm not really sure if they're on crack, dope or what. The place is open 24 hours a day and the cashiers are encased in bullet-proof plexiglass. It's a really charming environment.

As far as doing drugs, please -- I'm on blood pressure meds for the past nine years. I'm scared of my body exploding if I do street drugs.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 10:59:27 am »
No, I just see obviously strung out individuals in the attached store asking for items that I'm not particularly familiar with. I'm not really sure if they're on crack, dope or what. The place is open 24 hours a day and the cashiers are encased in bullet-proof plexiglass. It's a really charming environment.

As far as doing drugs, please -- I'm on blood pressure meds for the past nine years. I'm scared of my body exploding if I do street drugs.

I'm thankful Miss P does not do street drugs . Can you imagine Miss P on crack ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 11:06:15 am »
I'm thankful Miss P does not do street drugs . Can you imagine Miss P on crack ?

I smoked crack a few times when I was dating the Dominican Heroin Addict back when I was 29. To make it more authentic we scored in the South Bronx and smoked it under the stair well in a semi-abandoned high rise project building.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 11:23:04 am »
I smoked crack a few times when I was dating the Dominican Heroin Addict back when I was 29. To make it more authentic we scored in the South Bronx and smoked it under the stair well in a semi-abandoned high rise project building.

I dated a guy who was way to fond of free basing ... is that crack ?

Im far to high strung and only tried it a few times and hated the way it made me feel . When I went though my Meth addiction I was on sustiva and that combo made me absolutely insane within a very short period of time . That period of my life was the most destructive and emotionally crippling thing I ever endured . My experience with that drug changed me and made my resolution to be drug free rather easy for me in many ways . The day I laid down the pipe I was so disgusted with my life that I have not wanted to repeat it again .

I am left to wonder why I was fortunate enough not to succumb or be tempted to use again like so many others that cant seem to break from addiction . I do not tempt fate and allow myself to be around people who use drugs recreationally, because I know just because I'm not tempted today does not mean I will never be tempted again if Im not vigilant .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline MadisonTeddy

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 08:45:39 am »
has this not gotten totally off topic and not helpful to those reading the original question? For me it has....

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 08:49:37 am »
has this not gotten totally off topic and not helpful to those reading the original question? For me it has....

The original question was answered in the first few posts and there isn't really anything more to add about the specific question.

The one thing that wasn't specifically addressed was the alcohol question, but alcohol is all right too, in moderation. You don't want to be getting so drunk all the time that you're frequently forgetting your meds.

All things in moderation, including moderation. That's my rule of thumb. 

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.