Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:45:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 159
Total: 159

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Fauci asks for help  (Read 5959 times)

Offline leit

Fauci asks for help
« on: September 03, 2008, 01:35:11 pm »

"Fresh new ideas beyond the scope of classic vaccinology are urgently needed."

...And they have wasted more than a decade (Ho: HAART doesn't eradicate HIV in 2-3 years even in selected patients - Siliciano: more than 70 year of HAART are needed to purge reservoirs and get rid of HIV) involved in a pseudo-therapy that the Big Pharma would have developed anyway!

Once again, poor us!

Offline krh

Re: Fauci asks for help
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 02:37:17 pm »
I keep reading negative posts/comment like this consistently from a select few.

How about instead of always focusing on the negative, focus on the positive.

There is a reason why vaccinology is difficult.  It IS difficult and even with vaccines out there they are not completely understood as to the mechanism.  Otherwise they would have found a cure for the common cold virus or cancer.  There has been signifigant strides in HIV care that has far outpaced MANY other diseases.

We have medications that give us our life back so we can LIVE.  Focus on that instead of what the drug companies AREN'T doing for you.  And if you can't do that then start your own drug company and do what you think they aren't providing.

Instead of scouring the internet for possible cures, how about living your life the fullest.

Offline keyite

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 03:37:27 pm »

Indeed. It is getting really tiresome. Like you say, if they think they can do better, then they should do us all a favour and get going and amaze the world with their brilliant discoveries. But then I guess it's easier to just criticise the efforts of others.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 06:42:49 pm »
But, in short, combo that reduces viral load to <50 copies/mL in peripheral blood is (1) likely to do so in other parts of the body (2) seems to stop HIV in its tracks -- no resistance, no further immune damage.

This may constitute a functional route to remission (of immune damage) if treatment is applied early enough.

What we need is better and simpler combo with less/no side effects short and long term at reasonable cost, This is the best chance in the short-medium term  post-infection (which answers the question in another thread about best hope to tackle HIV, prevention of infection notwithstanding).

Eradication is a big and difficult goal and a long way off. Immune based and/or other novel approaches are a long way from the clinic.

A version of Sustiva (or another NNRTI) which don't make you loopy and/or fuck your liver plus costs a few cents would be a better contribution to the fight against AIDS than testing a fancy new approach.

The loopy/liver question is a chemistry project, the few cents a matter of political will.

Okay, pills every day is not brilliant, so maybe some improvement in delivery, like a once in a while subcutaneous implant, would be icing on the cake.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Jake72

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 07:11:18 pm »

A version of Sustiva (or another NNRTI) which don't make you loopy and/or fuck your liver plus costs a few cents would be a better contribution to the fight against AIDS than testing a fancy new approach.

The loopy/liver question is a chemistry project, the few cents a matter of political will.

Okay, pills every day is not brilliant, so maybe some improvement in delivery, like a once in a while subcutaneous implant, would be icing on the cake.

- matt

Most definitely. Especially if, in addition, these 'new and improved' meds don't cause any sort of lipodystrophy, since this is, of course, a very troublesome (psychologically and emotionally, to say the least) long-term side effect potentially caused by a large number of current medications and is receiving disgustingly little attention.

Offline leit

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 11:34:06 pm »

Sorry, but I cannot report anything good if there is only negative news (or bullshit).

How about instead of always focusing on the negative, focus on the positive.

IMHO, there is nothing positive in HIV, really NOTHING.

We have medications that give us our life back so we can LIVE.

"Living with HIV" is an oxymoron (and let alone "living the fullest"), as far as I'm concerned.

And if you can't do that then start your own drug company and do what you think they aren't providing.

It's not my job, but I think I can nevertheless criticize Fauci's report, which is only a list of failures and obstacles that anyone has known for years.

Offline leit

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 11:40:20 pm »
Thanks for your reply, "newt"!

This may constitute a functional route to remission (of immune damage) if treatment is applied early enough.

In Fauci's opinion, "early enough" means days/weeks after infection. Is this realistic?

Eradication is a big and difficult goal and a long way off.

...Expecially if there are "researchers" like Margolis who tell stories (valproic acid)!

A version of Sustiva (or another NNRTI) which don't make you loopy

If one prefers depression, here is the brand new Isentress in the real world.

Injectable long-acting TMC278 looks attractive but... what if it gives adverse effects all of a sudden? Where is the antidote???

"Living with HIV", yeah! :(

Offline krh

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 12:46:36 pm »
You've proven my point yet again.

If you only want to focus on the negative it's your choice, but please stop trying to bring the rest of us down.  There have been many successes with HIV care as well as failures.

Blaming everyone else for failure sounds like a lack of responsibility of oneself's issues.

Do you take medication yet Leit?  I've been on Sustiva/atripla for 5 years now (and started literally within weeks of infections, so yes it is realistic).  I have some dream/sleep issues.  but you know what, so what?  get over it.  Considering what my friends had to deal with 10-20 years ago (30-40 pills a day and death) I'll take it any day.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 12:59:41 pm by krh »

Offline MYSTERY

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 01:16:29 pm »
Krh,

I most definetly agree with what you say and I to am very greatful at the advances they have made in treating this illness. But I also think we must never settle for what we have at this point. I think we need to find better treatments for people that are resistant to the current meds, and find better meds that one take less often with less side effect. It would also be nice to have something that we could take with out being worried about becoming resistant to it. But with that being said I think we must live each day of our lives to the fullest because complications of HIV/AIDS might not even be the thing that kills you. Lets not forget about cancer and the host of other terrible illnesses. Live life and enjoy life.
Atheist don't believe in GOD, but GOD believes in them and loves them. Never let the failure of man conflict with your love of GOD.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2008, 01:18:46 pm »
Nothing krh just said indicated that he/she is "settling" for anything, and I don't see anyone that advocates freezing HIV treatment where it is at the moment.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline freewillie99

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2008, 01:21:10 pm »
philly,

Is that a cat version of Bono?
Beware Romanians bearing strange gifts

Offline krh

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2008, 01:34:32 pm »
I appreciate your comment philly.

I am definitely not settling (not sure how that deduction was made, expecially since I have been in several studies even when I was negative). 

My only point is that if all you want to look at is the negative, that is all you are going to find.

Anyway, not trying to be overly critical, but people come to this site for some hope also.  Every failure leads to better understanding and eventually success. 
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 01:39:11 pm by krh »

Offline leit

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 06:28:57 am »
If you only want to focus on the negative it's your choice, but please stop trying to bring the rest of us down.  There have been many successes with HIV care as well as failures.

This is the kind of *actual* good news one can currently find:
http://www.natap.org/2008/HIV/090508_01.htm
Be patient, but I cannot dance about with joy.

Do you take medication yet Leit?

Yes, I've been taking them for a dozen years. Does that matter?

Considering what my friends had to deal with 10-20 years ago (30-40 pills a day and death)

I DON'T WANT to consider that any longer, sorry. HIV is a global catastrophe and they chatter, play, rest on "their" old HAART-laurels (that aren't even theirs, but of pharmaceutical companies). This is what makes me furious, "krh"!

Fauci, like Gallo, the poor Montagnier (a seller of miracle papaya powders) and many others, are NOT true scientists/researchers, but mainly officiers. They'd better make their job selecting the most realistic and quickest ways to a cure and assigning funds/speeding up trials consequently.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 08:08:47 am by leit »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.