Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Newly diagnosed less than 2 weeks and placed on leave by employer

<< < (11/12) > >>

vertigo:
I'm a little late to this discussion, but what you need to find -- if you haven't already -- is a good attorney who specializes solely in employment law.  Any big metro area should have one or more law firms who do this as their bread & butter.  You have very strong protections under the ADA.  Your legal position is actually a lot stronger than that of your employer, IMO.

Unfortunately good legal representation isn't cheap.  I recently talked to a lawyer about a similar workplace disclosure scenario, and it set me back $175 for 30 minutes.  But there are LGBT law groups that put on pro-bono clinics from time to time.  Your local ASO should be able to steer you in the right direction.  (Also, if you do wind up getting fired or forced out, you will have a claim for damages.  A law firm might be willing to take that case on a contingency fee basis.)

Considering everything that you've had to cope with in a short period of time, I would say that you're doing great.  Keep your chin up, and good luck.

exarmyguy77:
Hello everyone, no changes so far.  Lots of difficulty finding a lawyer in the midwest that is knowledgeable on this stuff and I've found that most in this area are just as uneducated as my employer.  I've been treated badly by some and others have said "I'll check into it" only to never return calls.  It's been very frustrating.  I have found Lambda Legal, they have not agreed to take the case but are looking at it.  They are a non profit organization that does LGBT and HIV issues.  They typically only take cases that will be a big impact/benefit on the community.  I believe they are interested but is being brought to the board for them to vote on.  I pray they accept it, if not I don't know what else I will do.   

mecch:
I am disappointed to hear that lawyers aren't interested.  I would have liked to believe that a lawyer who does labor law would hear the situation, and if he/she isn't aware of the setting or the ADA protections, would be able to review that stuff, and come up with a case for you. 
Can you pay for a lawyer? How much does this cost out of pocket?

pittman:

--- Quote from: exarmyguy77 on January 02, 2014, 03:49:58 am ---They typically only take cases that will be a big impact/benefit on the community.  I believe they are interested but is being brought to the board for them to vote on.  I pray they accept it, if not I don't know what else I will do.

--- End quote ---

If they say they can't take this on, perhaps you can ask them for a referral or list of knowledgeable attorneys. explain that you are struggling finding any on your own. 

watl:
Your state bar might also be able to point you in the right direction.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version