Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:25:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 221
Total: 223

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Kefir  (Read 27219 times)

Offline o

Kefir
« on: June 25, 2007, 09:26:57 am »
Hallo guys

Now, i have started drinking kefir which i make myself at home... I have also started to read the health benefits. Seems like a miracle...
Does anyone know more about it?
Please let us all know...

Greets
o

Offline o

Re: Kefir
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 10:25:58 am »
Here is at least one finding from the net. Though i have not come through any scientific research yet...

1- The benefits of consuming kefir regularly in the diet

Easily digested, it cleanses the intestines, provides beneficial bacteria and yeast, vitamins and minerals, and complete proteins. Because kefir is such a balanced and nourishing food, it contributes to a healthy immune system and has been used to help patients suffering from AIDS, chronic fatigue syndrome, herpes, and cancer. Its tranquilizing effect on the nervous system has benefited many who suffer from sleep disorders, depression, and ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder). 

The regular use of kefir can help relieve all intestinal disorders, promote bowel movement, reduce flatulence and create a healthier digestive system. In addition, its cleansing effect on the whole body helps to establish a balanced inner ecosystem for optimum health and longevity.

Kefir can also help eliminate unhealthy food cravings by making the body more nourished and balanced. Its excellent nutritional content offers healing and health-maintenance benefits to people in every type of condition.

Offline o

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 10:28:42 am »
and here is another one also giving info about what Kefir is and what the health benefits are...

2- Kefir is a fermented milk drink made from authentic kefir cultures imported from Europe. Similar to yogurt in appearance, kefir contains a unique mixture of beneficial microorganisms, including more than thirty different bacteria and yeasts. These include: Lactobacillus kefyr, Lactococcus lactis, Lactococcus cremoris, Lactococcus diacetylactis, Leuconostoc cremoris, Candida kefyr, and Saccharomyces unisporous.   Kefir also contains high levels of vitamin B 12, which is a common deficiency in immuno-compromised patient populations and vegetarians. Kefir also contains low levels of lactose, so it is beneficial to lactose-intolerant consumers. The levels of live bacteria in kefir are significantly higher than in yogurt, so the product should appeal to consumers who mistakenly believe that yogurt is positively influencing the microbial balance in their GI tract.   Kefir contributes to a more even movement of food in the intestine. The mild acid taste and its microflora facilitate salivation, enzyme secretion in the stomach and pancreas, and improved peristalsis. The presence of lactic acid, acetic acid, and antibiotic substances inhibit decomposition processes in the small intestine. It is also an excellent buffer like yogurt.   

Even though there is little clinical research evidence in the United States for the health benefits of kefir, there is substantial historical evidence and growing clinical evidence from Europe and Japan for the benefits of consuming kefir in the diet. (Otjes & Cagindi, 2003).   In addition, there is growing evidence that specific strains of probiotic bacteria dramatically impact human health; to wit:

Extensive biomedical research has documented considerable evidence for the wide-ranging therapeutic properties of probiotic organisms and has established their role in maintaining optimal health. The major areas of their therapeutic clinical action include:

Competition against harmful micro-organisms including Candida ;   
Preventing colonisation of pathogens through the production of inhibitory substances including acids and hydrogen peroxide and natural antibiotics;
Enhancement of digestion of lactose (milk sugar);   
Reduction in blood cholesterol levels;   
Immune enhancement, including enhanced macrophage activity;    
Reduction in the levels of and deactivation of potential cancer causing chemicals, particularly in the colon and direct anti-tumour activity of certain strains;   
Reduction in liver toxicity;    
Enhancement of peristalsis, digestion, regularity and re-absorption of nutrients;   
In infants, promotion of healthy digestive tract colonisation;   
Enhancement and balance of oestrogen levels, prevention of osteoporosis through increased calcium uptake;   
Protection against food poisoning, travellers' diarrhoea, allergies, skin problems;   and enhancement of vitamin status (B, K), digestion of proteins, fats, carbohydrates ”.     

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 10:52:03 am »
I never tried Kefir, so I can't say. Just ensure that when you prepare something that is based on bacteria you don't contaminate it. Wash the containers and sanitize!

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 09:00:59 am »

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 09:34:06 am »
I remember a story of Bulgarian farmers who became 120 years old because they always had a pint of kefir a day.

I also remember a story of Sicilian farmers who became 120 years old because they always had a pint of olive oil a day.

I'm not sure though if these stories are anything else but marketing hoaxes. BUT I know that probiotics are generally good for you, the good gut bacteria keep the bad ones at bay. And it tastes nice, very refreshing. If it's fresh, there are little bubbles from fermentation which tickle the tongue.

"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 08:58:08 pm »
Hi,

I Tried it about four years ago, but didn't much care for the taste of it. Maybe if I doctor it up with strawberries, or some other fruit it would taste better. I Should give it another try. Four years ago, not much of anything, was tasting good to me.

Take care-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 12:47:27 am »
I just checked Auntie Doxie's link to Helios Kefir and  - drum roll please - it is Gluten Free!

Think I'll give it a shot.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline catwoman

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 02:44:56 am »
I loooove Kefir.  I need to pick some up tomorrow.  I love blueberry kefir best.  I was introduced to it many years ago by my dance teacher.  He drank it all the time and always had a bottle with him.

Offline o

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 01:30:36 pm »
Dear friends,

The Kefir i am talking about is the one that you can ferment at home instead of buying from the store.
Because the one you buy from the store doesn't have all the bacteria that home made kefir has.
To do the fermentation you need kefir grains.
And to see its effects, you have to drink 1 liter of Kefir everyday.
And certain fermentation time is good for certain illnesses.

The times i will post later.

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 05:38:37 pm »
Cultivating Kefir requires patience. It's not unlike planting vegetables for own consumption. Most Kefir grain users are open to sharing their grains as the good bacteria colony ferments and grows, assuming it is well cultivated. Otherwise, it can become infested and die. This holds true also for the Kombucha tea cultures.

I have provided a link for possibly obtaining these grains from a Kefir grower near you. Contact them and explore more. Good luck!

Kefir Grains List : http://www.torontoadvisors.com/Kefir/kefir-list.php

Growing Kefir: http://www.tammysrecipes.com/making_kefir

Fermenting Kefir: http://www.seedsofhealth.co.uk/fermenting/kefir_howto.shtml

Blessed Be! ;)

Michael
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 07:21:17 pm by Merlin »
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline aztecan

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 12:11:17 am »
Cultivating Kefir requires patience. It's not unlike planting vegetables for own consumption. Most Kefir grain users are open to sharing their grains as the good bacteria colony ferments and grows, assuming it is well cultivated. Otherwise, it can become infested and die. This holds true also for the Kombucha tea cultures.

I have provided a link for possibly obtaining these grains from a Kefir grower near you. Contact them and explore more. Good luck!

Kefir Grains List : http://www.torontoadvisors.com/Kefir/kefir-list.php

Growing Kefir: http://www.tammysrecipes.com/making_kefir

Fermenting Kefir: http://www.seedsofhealth.co.uk/fermenting/kefir_howto.shtml

Blessed Be! ;)

Michael

Oh my goodness! I haven't heard of Kombucha tea in years. I used to make it myself, but that was pre-cocktail.

Like I said, in those days, we tried anything.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline Merlin

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 10:23:00 pm »
Oh my goodness! I haven't heard of Kombucha tea in years. I used to make it myself, but that was pre-cocktail.

Like I said, in those days, we tried anything.

HUGS,

Mark

And what was the effect of that (kombucha I meant) ?.;)

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline aztecan

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 07:31:15 pm »
And what was the effect of that (kombucha I meant) ?.;)

Well, it was supposed to promote overall health. I think all it ever did for me was taste terrible.  ;)

But it was fun to watch it grow in the jug!

HUGS,

Mark

Offline zachysmom

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 04:15:13 pm »
Kefir is great, my mom  ( who is from the Ukraine) got me started on it, she has been drinking it for years. We love it. I tried getting my husband to drink as well, but no such luck, he can't stand anything unless it's wrapped in a McDonalds wrapper. However, I have recently got him on Danactive, which he will drink because of the commerical, hey it's a start.
 So try Kefir, you might like it. By the way Trader Joes carries Kefir in regular and strawberry flavors.

Happy Yogurt drinking,
Nicky
From Russia with love,
Nicole

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 12:04:23 pm »
Honestly, I just bought Kefir from a health food store just the other day, and it tastes like hot open ass.
Maybe if I mix it with something it will taste better...so sour! awful!
Jan 08       321/23%  VL 92,000 (very mild shingles)
Feb 1 08    Start Truvada+Viramune
March 08    470/33%  VL 320
mid-May     Start Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada
June 08      571/ 40%     VL   80
August 08   585/ 33%     VL >50
Nov  Lab error!!!!!!!!wah.
Jan 09        535      Undetectable
March 11     756

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 09:47:14 am »
and it tastes like hot open ass.

But that's not too bad then, is it?
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline ScottPhxAZ

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 11:12:53 am »
it tastes like hot open ass.

I will do a side-by-side taste comparison and post my results.  ;D
07/06 infected; K103N mutation (excludes non-nukes)
Date  CD4/%      VL
08/06 867/23%  1,000,000+
09/06 646/20%     434,000
10/06 948/24%   1,710,000
02/07 851/23%      439,000
04/07 CD4: 701/23%  VL:    184,000
06/07 CD4: 697/         VL:    202,000
08/07 CD4: 565/19%  VL:    184,000
08/07 Started Truvada+Viracept
11/07 CD4: 769/27%  VL:          181
02/08 CD4: 998/23%  VL:         <48
05/08 CD4: 809/26%  VL:         <48
06/08 Stopped meds while traveling
09/08 CD4: 793/31%  VL:         <48
12/08 CD4: 739/21%  VL:     27,700
02/09 CD4: 60
05/09 CD4: 508/22%  VL:     19,400
08/09 CD4: 358/22%  VL:     62,600
10/09 CD4: 548/26%  VL:         <48
01/10 CD4: 468/28%  VL:         <48
05/10 CD4: 475/34%  VL:         <48

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 12:19:42 pm »
I will do a side-by-side taste comparison and post my results.  ;D

I'm spread open and waiting!  I haven't had a good rim job in weeks!

Plain kefir is n-a-s-t-y, I find, so I prefer rasperries and/or chocolate in it.  Horribly lactose-intolerant, but the bugs have decomposed enough of the sugars for me to handle it without producing an anal symphony.
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 06:34:37 pm »
 I placed this post up in the Soy milk thread. ( which I also don't like the taste of. ) I was thinking of putting a packet of Carnation instant breakfast into it. Maybe it will help with the taste of the Kefir. Or perhaps adding some Ovaltine to it.  :P

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline o

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2007, 05:40:10 am »
hello people,
i do not know how our taste has been influenced by the food market... everything has to have a taste!
here in the netherlands i can hardly find any product without having the flavour of something else...
Kefir is sour and you can get used to it. Cause to get the best result, i drink 1 liter a day.
And that i obtain by fermentation of the milk at home, the product which is sold at the shelves are not up to the standards of home made Kefir...
greets.

by the way apart from the intestinal comfort, Kefir has helped in reducing the Acne on my face. Moreover, after 2 years, it is the first time that the fungi at my toes got really small...

Offline Merlin

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007, 01:19:30 pm »
Hey o, do u use pasturised milk or did u managed to obtain pure fresh raw milk? U must have a pretty big colony to be able to drink 1 litre daily. How long do u ferment each batch b4 consumption?

Peace!

Michael

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline o

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2007, 02:58:15 pm »
hallo Merlin,
i just use the pastorized milk, it can be half-fat or fat, goat or cow milk...
Kefir turns it to good bacterias anyway. Though i have read that in the mountains they were using goat milk.
i had received from my cousin just some kefir grains as big as half a wallnut. it was less than a month ago, now the amount is tripled!!!
i will give it to other people. Normally i always ferment it in 24 hours. 12 hours is good when one has constipation, and it has to be 36 hours if one has diarrhea...
greets
o

Offline Merlin

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2007, 03:22:48 am »
Thanks 4 the info o.  Stay healthy! ;)

Blessed Be

Michael

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline aztecan

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2007, 08:43:10 pm »
I posted this in the soy milk thread. (don't ask me why???)

OK, I bought some Kefir, thought I would give it a try.

Nobody warned me about the consistency of that stuff.

All I have to say is, "Ewww."

HUGS,

Mark

Edited to add:

I just tried it again and it wasn't so bad. Maybe it wasn't cold enough the first time or something. Anyway, it actually was pretty good this time. It is strawberry flavored and I could actually taste the strawberries this time.

It is somewhat costly though. But, what the heck, its only money.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline shadowfluid

• Mike
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2007, 10:56:16 pm »
I threw mine away after it sat in the fridge for a month.... still not a big fan of the sour ass taste
Jan 08       321/23%  VL 92,000 (very mild shingles)
Feb 1 08    Start Truvada+Viramune
March 08    470/33%  VL 320
mid-May     Start Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada
June 08      571/ 40%     VL   80
August 08   585/ 33%     VL >50
Nov  Lab error!!!!!!!!wah.
Jan 09        535      Undetectable
March 11     756

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2007, 08:19:15 am »
I posted this in the soy milk thread. (don't ask me why???)

OK, I bought some Kefir, thought I would give it a try.

Nobody warned me about the consistency of that stuff.

All I have to say is, "Ewww."

HUGS,

Mark

Edited to add:

I just tried it again and it wasn't so bad. Maybe it wasn't cold enough the first time or something. Anyway, it actually was pretty good this time. It is strawberry flavored and I could actually taste the strawberries this time.

It is somewhat costly though. But, what the heck, its only money.

HUGS,

Mark

I threw mine away after it sat in the fridge for a month.... still not a big fan of the sour ass taste

It does taste pretty crappy doesn't it?  :) :o   I hate throwing stuff away, but this stuff went down the drain quite fast.  :P

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Merlin

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2007, 10:11:37 am »
The taste is not much different from yoghurt except being more sour because of the fermention. If u kept it in the fridge for a month, the culture should possibly still be alive as cold slows the replicating process. Smell it..it should be similar to Brie cheese.

If you managed to obtain the real Kefir grains (not those commercial starter kit in man made powdered form), it will be pretty cheap to produce and grow it yourself. All you need is just change the milk every 24-36 hours depending on how concentrated you want the curd to be.

The other cousin to Kefir is of cos Kombucha (using green/black tea & sugar), which also requires very little work as well. Only thing, for both kefir and kombucha, gotta keep all your equipment, like jars, filter, hands..etc, clean.

Good health & Blessed Be! :)

Michael

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2007, 11:52:31 pm »
Admit it Michael, kefir tastes like shit. ;)

MtD

Offline Merlin

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2007, 07:18:50 am »
I wouldn't know Matty cos I never tasted shit b4.  ;D I'm sure even shit will taste different depending on what was eaten before, not to mention the consistency. :o

Kefir is an acquired taste. If one can take pickles, the sour in kefir is no where near that. Also, the longer the fermentation, the more sour the taste, so a 12 hour kefir tastes more like brie cheese. And there are some cheese in the market that smells and taste like vomit. :P

Blessed Be!

Michael

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline catwoman

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2007, 03:28:03 am »
Merlin,
Do you make yogurt at home too?  If so, how do you do it?  I hear it's really easy.

Offline Merlin

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2007, 01:28:12 pm »
Hi Cat:

I don't cos since Kefir contains more beneficial strains of bacteria, I stopped taking yohgurt exclusively. Ocassionally, I do mix fruity yoghurts with the Kefir if I want a more broader taste. :)

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline Merlin

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2007, 08:27:03 pm »
Just a brief update. Kefir made it to the new list of superfoods in Men's Health under msn.
Happy reading. :)

http://health.msn.com/centers/highbloodpressure/slideshow.aspx?cp-documentid=100159956&imageindex=6

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Offline Gustavo

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2007, 05:23:20 pm »
Thank you for sharing.

Offline Merlin

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2007, 01:12:00 pm »
There is also water kefir if milk is not your cuppa. ;D

+++

Make It Happen...

+++

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.