Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:49:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 389
Total: 392

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hi, it's me  (Read 12234 times)

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
Hi, it's me
« on: July 09, 2006, 05:16:47 pm »
Hi everyone,

as I kept comming back to this community after signing up as a member,  I noticed a lot of people had started by introducing themselves whereas I had sort of discreetly gate-crashed the party by contributing here and there...
As I am usualy quite polite, guilt suddenly washed over me.

This is therefore a small introduction to who I am, in the hope that you will forgive me for sneaking in and accept me for who I am.

I am 46, french speaking with a relatively good grasp of english, living in france, hiv+ for about 4 years, on meds since 18 months or so (zerit+epivir+ some phytotherapy stuff) and currently dealing with the first signs of lypo. These 4 years have been a roller coaster ride (as for many of you I am sure) but I have somewhat calmed down.

A skeptic when it comes to all internet fads, I somewhat stayed away from places like this until now. What I have discovered here is not only a very useful database regarding our common problem and how to deal with it, but first and foremost a group of people who in turn are warm, funny, depressed, hilarious, caring and so many other things that touched me.
For 4 years I felt I was lacking references in my fight against this unwelcome guest of mine, and I didn't know people to share this with. Now I feel I have found a place filled with people who are willing to both help each other and have a good laugh.

I like this place, and hope you will like me (well, most of the time that is... ;))

Pat

Oh by the way, I am gay.
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline Teresa

Re: Hi, it's me
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2006, 05:20:51 pm »
Hi Pat,

Welcome to the family!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 05:21:42 pm »
Pat Welcome!   "Depressed" here... I am sure halarious will be along shortly!!

Love

Offline TedEBearNC

• ~Cuddly~
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 05:31:14 pm »
Hi Pat. 

Welcome to the fourms! :)

Phil
Member since March 2004

Offline bear60

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 05:37:46 pm »
Hi Pat
Its a pleasure to meet you. The people here have a wealth of knowledge and experience to contribute when asked.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2006, 05:45:31 pm »
Hi Pat

Welcome to our global family !! Thanks for telling us a bit about yourself. Don't be too shy. As you've dicovered, we're supportive group of people scattered around the world.

Cheers
Paul

Offline Val

• Praxitèles -- Satyre au repos
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2006, 05:48:58 pm »
Salut, Pat!
And so you're gay!  Wel, honey, nobody's perfect!   ;)   Welcome.

Val
___
___
Arthus Bertrand
http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/yann2/affichage.php?reference=TVDC%20YABFR084&pais=France
Ali Mahdavi
http://asyoudesireme.online.fr/index.htm
Richard de Chazal
http://www.richarddechazal.com/
Daniel Nassoy
http://www.danielnassoy.com/pages/galeries_portraits_2.html
Photography:
The word comes from the Greek words φως phos ("light"), and γραφίς graphis ("stylus", "paintbrush") or γραφή graphê, together meaning "drawing with light" or "representation by means of lines".

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2006, 05:54:34 pm »
Hi Hun,

"Willkommen, bienvenu, welcome"

Yes indeed, you are one of many, that have been touched by the sincere, open and mostly very profound exchange of feelings and emotions here.

Don't worry, there is more than space enough for many a smile and joke, but also for many a tear.
I myself have shed quite some out of sheer fun, but even so by the many touching stories and kindred souls.

Open up Pat and you will soon feel the powerful energy of will to live flow through your veins even more.

Write Coen in the A'dam thread if you would like to join us there. Please, feel more then welcome.
The more, the merrier.

hermie :)
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2006, 05:59:01 pm »
Bojour etc, hello

First signs of lipo, the damn Zerit I bet, why are you on this ancient drug? And why are you only on 2 nukes? Not good prospects long term for most people, 2 nukes...

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 06:01:22 pm »
Allo Pat,

I am also fairly new here, but welcome. I liked your introduction very much.

Daniel

(Who is also Gay, by the way.)  ;D
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 07:44:38 pm »

I like this place, and hope you will like me

Hell Pat, I don’t care if anyone likes me or not. I’m not leaving.

Oh by the way, I am gay.
In that case you might want to stay clear of Lisa and Lis, they think they can change us. LOL!  ???

on meds since 18 months or so (zerit+epivir+ some phytotherapy stuff) and currently dealing with the first signs of lypo.

That is exactly the same combo that I was on for years. Which is the main reason I don’t post a picture of myself. I suggest you see your doctor and change your meds right away. Good luck!

Terry

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 07:58:13 pm »
Salut Pat,

Tu es le bienvenu sur ce forum.  :)

Nice to know you found a place where you feel comfortable with ( most of the time that is.... ;) ) and share with people you can related by their experiences with the unwelcome guest .

Au plaisir de te relire,

The Canuck

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 08:01:17 pm »
Welcome Pat!

I will get around to replying to your post in Nutrition. ;D

MtD

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2006, 08:07:52 pm »
Hello Pat,

Just wanted to say hello, and welcome you to the forums. I am sure you will find plenty of support and knowledge here !!

The Best-------Ray 8)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2006, 08:33:20 pm »
Hi Pat,
Welcome to our family,
I'm pretty new here, but I've come to feel very close to these people.
It's a great place to find if your in the same boat as we all are.
I'm happy you're here  ;D

Peace,
Kelly
POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Offline Nadine

« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2006, 08:45:15 pm »
Hello Pat...welcome to the family

Offline Robert

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2006, 09:14:19 pm »
No need to feel guilty.  There is no right or wrong way to join.  Just do it.

If I were you, I would listen to Newt.  He is pretty savvy when it comes to ways HAART.  That's one of the valuable things about this place, you learn to question your Dr.  Not a bad thing.

Welcome.

robert

Offline joemutt

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 01:00:20 am »
Bonjour Pat et bienvenu,
Hope to see you in A'dam.

Offline water duck

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2006, 01:25:33 am »

I like this place, and hope you will like me (well, most of the time that is...

With so many replies, do you think you need to reassure you are liked ??

Welcome, Pat  :-* :-*

Siang

Offline frenchpat

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2006, 01:51:08 am »
Wow!

what a warm welcome!

thank you all, this feels great, even more so as I am to see my doc today. (always a time of mixed feelings as I like the guy but dread the news :P)

Oh well, here we go...

A good day to you all!

Pat

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2006, 02:04:15 am »
Pat,

I hope everything goes well with your doctor.

Fondly,

MtD

Offline water duck

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 04:20:53 am »
Ah !! OUI OUI !!

Cher Pat,

We all have those kind of days, coming here to talk about it helps !!

Good luck , catch you later  ;) ;)

Siang

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2006, 04:37:11 am »
Dear Pat,

welcome,

als you already found out we are going to have an AMG (Aids meds gathering) in Amsterdam in the weekend of 29 sept till 1 oct.

If you like we would very much enjoy having you in the group. If you wanna know more pm me, and there is a thread on the forum about the weekend as well.

I hope you will have a good time here on the  forum!

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2006, 08:35:32 am »
Bonjour Pat

Welcome to the best place in the cyber world for those of us who are HIV+.

Hope everything went well at your doctors, and I agree completely about the Zerit, lipoatrophy sucks.

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself.

RAB

(who's French is very limited  :-[)

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2006, 11:42:06 am »
      *gasp*   .......Terry !    Shame on you ! Frightening the new people like that.

Warm welcome to you Pat. Nice to meet a new member. Don't listen to Terry, he like to stir up trouble. ;) ;D

We always have room for one more. Make yourself comfy.

Lisa
(who loves people just the way they are)
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2006, 11:54:25 am »
hello pat, welcome  :)

Kate

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2006, 12:55:25 pm »
Welcome Pat,

Hope you had a chance to talk to your doctor about your meds. Echoing Newt: why are you on two drugs instead of three (in your case two "nuke" or NRTIs). You should add a a non-nuke (NNRTI) or protease inhibitor (PI) if that's feasible in your medical setting? And Zerit IS an ancient drug, plenty of other options out there. If your current doc doesn't know much about HIV medicine, I'd suggest finding another doctor who's more experienced in treating those of us who are "virally enhanced." May I ask what your viral load and CD4 numbers are?

Again, welcome.

Jay (who's currently reading about French royal mistresses: Marquise de Montespan, Marquise de Pompadour, Mme du Barry; but I'd like to find something about Louis XIII's boy toys)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 12:59:57 pm by lydgate »
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline tuggem

• Ron Hudson, same body, new face
    • 2sides2ron
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2006, 01:05:29 pm »
Salut from North Carolina.  Where in France are you living?  I spent a year in Montpellier, a month in Menton and some weeks in Paris...and 20+ years in a fight against HIV...

Ron
Lexiva, Videx EC

About 18 other meds to manage my side-effects/concomitant issues like diabetes, renal insufficiency, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, etc.

Poz since 08/25/1985 or earlier

Safe journeys!

Ce fut une belle aventure...

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2006, 01:13:54 pm »
Pat,

glad to see that you made your way here.  i think you'll like it!

Take care,
John

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2006, 02:56:25 pm »
HeHeHe, Lisa.  ::)

Offline Christine

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2006, 03:05:26 pm »
Bonjour Pat!
Welcome to the forums!
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline frenchpat

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2006, 04:48:12 pm »
Welcome Pat,

Hope you had a chance to talk to your doctor about your meds.
 Echoing Newt: why are you on two drugs instead of three (in your case two "nuke" or NRTIs). You should add a a non-nuke (NNRTI) or protease inhibitor (PI) if that's feasible in your medical setting? And Zerit IS an ancient drug, plenty of other options out there. If your current doc doesn't know much about HIV medicine, I'd suggest finding another doctor who's more experienced in treating those of us who are "virally enhanced." May I ask what your viral load and CD4 numbers are?

Again, welcome.

Jay (who's currently reading about French royal mistresses: Marquise de Montespan, Marquise de Pompadour, Mme du Barry; but I'd like to find something about Louis XIII's boy toys)

Hi Jay,

I did have a good talk with my doctor today and he's suggested a switch I could chose. I've posted further questions to the members here in the treatment section.

As to why I am with "only two" drugs it is a long story but to keep it short I will say that when this all started I was living a very healthy life, never taking any meds or drugs and drinking very little; I would use holistic medecines whenever I needed more than some time for my body to clear the bugs. So I first explored alternative treatments until I had to turn to alopathy. And when I did that I was still in the frame of mind of wanting as little as possible for as long as possible... (and my doctor, who is a very competent immunologist and oncologist respected my wishes; had he not I would have slammed the door, as I had with another one). - so yes, I can be stubborn at times... ::)

Re: french history, or the pink side of it, I can not really help you: I was born and raised in a different country and never studied much french stuff.

Ron:

I live nearby Annecy, close to the swiss border. Went to Chamonix (Mont Blanc area) today to get some fresh high altitude air ... lovely

To everyone:

you're a very welcoming bunch of people. I am deeply touched :-*

Pat

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.