Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:07:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773164
  • Total Topics: 66330
  • Online Today: 286
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 245
Total: 246

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: KFC Sued for fatty foods  (Read 14183 times)

Offline Cliff

KFC Sued for fatty foods
« on: June 14, 2006, 01:59:10 pm »
I'm not sure I understand the logic, since I can't imagine anyone could claim, (with a straight face), they thought fried chicken from KFC was healthy.  But if it gets fast food joints to change their menus, then maybe the ends justifies the means.
WASHINGTON, DC, United States (UPI) -- A retired Maryland physician is suing KFC over claims the oil the restaurant-chain fries its chicken and other menu items in is high in trans fat.  Arthur Hoyte of Rockville, Md., is the plaintiff in a suit filed in Superior Court of the District of Columbia Tuesday that wants KFC to either stop using partially hydrogenated oil or post signs that read 'KFC`s fried chicken and certain other foods contain trans fat, which promotes heart disease.'

KFC officials deny they do anything wrong and although KFC hasn`t broken a law with its recipe, the Louisville (Ky.) Courier-Journal reports the plaintiffs think the chain should be straight-up with customers.

The suit claims KFC`s menu is abnormally higher in trans fat than other fast-food outlets and restaurants. Eighty percent of U.S. trans fat intake is from partially hydrogenated oil. Trans fats reduce healthy cholesterol and drastically raise harmful cholesterol which is attributed to 50,000 deaths a year.

If the plaintiffs win the suit it would only be binding on Washington-area KFC restaurants.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 02:02:23 pm by Cliff »

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
Re: KFC Sued for fatty foods
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 02:03:44 pm »
The point here is that fast food chains can make their foods less dangerous by not using hydrogenated oils.  Using cheap hydrogenated oils comes at the expense of the consumer.  Unlike people suing McDonald's for being fat, I think there is some merit to this case.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 02:45:10 pm »
These lawsuits just burn me up. We don't need a warning label on a chicken leg. A person of average intelligence knows that fried chicken, hamburgers, french fries, ice cream and candy bars are not health food.  Yes, eating these food all the time is bad for your health. But 1) we don't need the government to parent us, 2) these foods are perfectly fine when eaten in moderation, 3) these restaurants don't have a monopoly on the food we eat and shouldn't be forced to change their menu. If people don't want to eat fatty food they won't go to KFC or McDonald's, their profits will suffer and they will change their menus. These restaurants are just giving people what they want. Fastfood restaurants started selling salads not because someone forced them but because people wanted salads. If you go to fast food restaurants all the time and have a fat ass it's not the government's fault, it's not Burger King's fault, it's advertising's fault... it's your own damn fault.

I have a 30 inch waist, can bench press 300 lbs, can run 5 miles no problem and I eat what ever the hell I want... and I'm 40 years old and have AIDS. If I can do it than anyone else without a crippling physical disability can do it to.

The government will have to pry that KFC chicken leg out of my cold, dead hand! >:(

Offline MSPspud

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 03:24:36 pm »
Hmmm, read the article a little closer. 

It's not about the amount of fat but the type of fat.  Hydrogenation of fat synthetically changes the chemical make up to where a body cannot breakdown lipids normally.  The hydrogenation of fat makes trans fats, which is what this food contains.  All these fast food places can make the same exact food by oils or fats that are not chemically altered, like coconut oil or palm oil.  This would greatly reduce the carcinogenic and lipid promoting properties of these foods while not changing calories or taste. 

Basically these places are frying their crap in a substance slightly less toxic than motor oil.  It doesn't matter who you are or how much you exercise, trans fats and synthetically altered foods will eventually kill you.  This lawsuit isn't' suggesting we take the foods off the market, rather fry this shit without transfats, so you can have our cake and eat it to.

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 03:30:27 pm »
actually, that's not entirely accurate.  mcdonald's began offer salads in a bid to get away from it's negative 'fatty' image.   It was more a PR spin in an effort to prevent further government regulation.  So now they can say, well, yes, our burgers and fries are artery clogging but we do offer salads :) 

Much like getting rid of the supersize options.   

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 03:35:33 pm »
While I can see the merit in this case, no one is holding a gun to anyone's head at the drive-thru. It's all about how much you value your health when you pull up to that window. If you don't want to eat these types of fats, don't go there. Make a sandwhich at home or have an apple and skip the 12 piece chicken meal.

I know this when I pull into McDonalds for my once a week indulgence but you don't see me suing the pants off of the company for my love handles.

It just seems like they are looking for someone to blame.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 03:39:01 pm by swede_dish »
"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 03:38:42 pm »
This lawsuit isn't' suggesting we take the foods off the market, rather fry this shit without transfats, so you can have our cake and eat it to.

IMHO this lawsuit REEKS - and it's not the rancid oil. I agree with the gym rat. I hope this case is deemed frivolous (or whatever terminology is used these days) and thrown the fuck out. What an insult (IMHO of course)

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 03:48:23 pm »
it is frivilous.  This is not an issue of kfc frying stuff in anything.

It's really an issue for legislative action and FDA requirements on notification and shouldn't be brought against kfc at all, but addressed in how nutrition information is conveyed.

Offline Terry

• 7/13/82 Infected
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 03:53:27 pm »
The government will have to pry that KFC chicken leg out of my cold, dead hand! >:(

The only time I ever buy KFC. is when I'm moving residences. It's easier to get a bucket of chicken the first night in a new house. I've lived here for 16 years.

Fast food should be eaten less. Good healthy home cooking is a lot better. I took a bite of a big mac once. Yuk!

It's what's in the food and how the food is prepared and handled that matters. Too much of anything is bad.  :-\ Four more hours till happy hour. Grrrrr.  ???

Terry

Offline Cliff

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 04:09:49 pm »
It's really an issue for legislative action and FDA requirements on notification and shouldn't be brought against kfc at all, but addressed in how nutrition information is conveyed.
And that's the problem.  Americans hate big government so much, we'd rather the courts make the difficult decisions and not the government.  In Europe, they would just legislate change, while Americans prefer to adjudicate change. 

If the lawsuits, (or the threat of it), forced KFC to use better grease, then so be it.  Yeah, it would be nice for me to make my own decision, but then again....I'd probably decide not to wear seat belts or send my kids to school, decide against getting the polio vaccine and I would probably drive 90 miles an hour on the highway.  But thank god someone a long time ago decided that the public isn't actually smart enough (or willing) to make the best decisions all the time, (which also probably explains why I'm a member in this forum).

Yeah, it kinda sucks that the lawyers will make a killing off this thing, but well it's our own damn fault...it's merely a consequence of us preferring to sue to make change happen, than to get the government to do our dirty work.

- Cliff

Offline The Canuck

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 04:18:43 pm »
Why nobody complained about KFC, McDonald, Burger King,etc.. in the '60 and early '70s ? Back then there were using the same stuff but people weren't always eating at those places on a regular basis. Every chemist knows the property of trans fat and how it reacts chemically.

The problem is that people eating habits changed over time and they are now eating on a regular basis into these restaurants. Obviously it had an impact on a lot of people ( health problems ) since those are extremely popular. All of sudden they started to explain why those people were having health problems. The trans fat were identified and they warned people to be careful to what they are eating. Some listened the warnings but most didn't.

You can go to McDonald once every three weeks but not 4-5 times a week. Anyone going to these places won't have any major health problems if they go there occasionally, however it'll be different if you are always eating there on a regular basis.

I'd bet the person who is suing KFC was eating there very often, has a fat ass, big belly and now having health problems.

What's next ? Pepsi / Coke being sued for using too much sugar ?

The Canuck

Offline DingoBoi

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 05:19:29 pm »
CSPI, often nicknamed the "food police," is known for campaigning against high-calorie and high-fat fare.

The industry-funded Center for Consumer Freedom said CSPI had filed the suit simply to generate media coverage.

"Any judge unfortunate enough to be burdened with this court-clogging sham should have the good sense to throw CSPI out of court," said Center for Consumer Freedom research analyst J. Justin Wilson.

full article http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/13/news/companies/kfc.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

Offline fearless

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 09:17:27 pm »
I wonder why they are picking on KFC only.
Most processed and fried foods contain a good deal of trans-fat. Shortening, used in a lot of products, contains about 50% trans-fats, and margarine about 30%.
Government's should insist on proper labelling, and people should educate themselves about what they are putting into their bodies.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline whizzer

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 11:06:36 pm »
In filing this lawsuit, the good doctor has told more people that KFC uses partially hydrogenated oil than KFC ever did.  He knows he won't win, but he got a lot more publicity about the issue than a complaint to the FDA ever would have.

The sin of the fast food industry is not what is in their food, but rather in their reticence to tell us what is in it.

In addition, the majority of their marketing is directed at children, seeking to mold their eating habits early, and poorly, to the children's detriment and for the corporation's profits.  Mom and Dad and a zucchini can't hold a candle to Ronald McDonald and a happy meal.

In the 60s and 70s they used lard to fry their food.  Then when people became cholesterol-conscious, and the fact that they used lard came to light, they switched to, and advertised that, they fried in vegatable oil.  McDonalds never completely made the switch, however, preferring to mix lard with partially hydrogenated oil for taste reasons, though they advertised that they used all vegetable oil.  It was a lawsuit that exposed this ruse, and McDonalds then eliminated the lard, saying they finally found a chemical substitute that would preserve the unique flavor of their fries.

Anyone remember when they used to cut the french fries fresh each day at each McDonalds?  Man, fresh cut potatoes fried in lard, now THAT was some good eatin'.  At least to me, but then, I'm from the South.

Offline ademas

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2006, 11:12:14 pm »
In addition, the majority of their marketing is directed at children, seeking to mold their eating habits early, and poorly, to the children's detriment and for the corporation's profits.  Mom and Dad and a zucchini can't hold a candle to Ronald McDonald and a happy meal.

touche.

The eating habits of children today will kill far more of them than tobacco ever will, and we've done a fairly decent job at regulating tobacco sales to minors, as well as steering advertising away from them.

Why not hold the fast food industry to at least that same standard? 

Offline fearless

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 12:09:40 am »
In Sweden, Norway and Quebec, where foods ads are banned from kids' TV, there's no evidence that obesity rates have fallen.

"The eating habits of children today will kill far more of them than tobacco ever will" - that's a big call

Offline JeffInNYC

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 12:16:04 am »
KFC makes a great Twister.  Love the Twister wth the side of Wedge Fries.

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 01:45:56 am »
that it is!
"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Offline fearless

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2006, 02:18:27 am »
KFC does 'wedge fries' in the US!!! >:(
That sucks man. KFC only does normal chips down here, but they're the saltiest and best. mmmm. But, KFC wedgies - I'm jealous beyond belief.

I've just checked the US KFC site and you have a lot of different choices to what we have here. Stop treating us like some forgotten backwater Colonel!!!, but then again the thought of bbq baked beans sounds disgusting and there are some other choices on there that I wouldn't feed my dog. yuk

Give me a bacon and cheese zinger burger combo anyday, hold the mayonnaise please

Offline Cliff

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2006, 02:49:18 am »
Yes, Lil Steve....KFC overseas sucks.  Yes, the menu is very different and the menu in the US is MUCH, MUCH BETTER.  Though I imagine it's also much more unhealthy.  The best thing KFC has in the US are the buttermilk biscuits!  And they go great with honey.  Yum, Yum.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2006, 06:32:28 am »
I have to agree with Swede Dish: It just seems like they are looking for someone to blame.

I mean after all, isn't somebody else responsible for what I eat? ??? LOL

Since January this year, food labels in the US must include the content of trans fat on the nutrition information panel. Canada has such labelling in place and is considering requiring companies to eliminate trans fats. Denmark has made it illegal to sell any food with more than 2 per cent trans. Norway, Finland and the Netherlands have also limited trans fat content in foods.

MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Cliff

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2006, 07:51:08 am »
If they didn't fry it in trans fatty oil, what would they use?  And would that make the chicken not taste as well?  I mean is this about money (i.e., them using trans fatty oil because it's cheap and keeps the fast food prices low) or is it about taste (i.e., trans fatty oil makes the chicken taste better than if they used an alternative...canola oil or something like that)?

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2006, 08:17:00 am »

I had just recently heard, where "Wendy" is changing their deep fryer oil to something, which is supposed to be so much better. I didn't catch it all. I can't remember the last time I had been to a KFC, a peice of southern fried chicken sure sounds good though.
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2006, 11:24:15 am »
I very rarely eat fast food. Maybe once every 4 or 5 months I like to have a whopper. A few weeks ago, I got one of those coupon pages from KFC, and figured it had been ages since I had their chicken. I really like their cole slaw better than anybody elses.
So I cut out the coupon, drove on over to the restaurant, and dutifully handed the girl at the window my money, and the coupon. The bitch charged me fuill price for the fucking chicken, and it was nothing like I remembered it to be.
I really don't give a rats tushy what they fry their shit in, I'll never darken their doorway again.

Besides.......Bojangles is far superior.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2006, 11:30:53 am »
Going on a gluten-free diet (not by choice, mind you) pretty much rules out any fast food.

But, it still is my choice. What I stuff in my mouth is my business. These types of lawsuits give me gas (more than the barbecue baked beans at KFC).

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Basquo

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2006, 12:37:28 pm »
My aunt picked up "dinner" at McDonald's last week and I was surpised to see that they put the nutritional information on many of the items.  But I was super surprised at the fact that the 10-piece McNuggets has 47% of the USRDA for sodium!!!  The first thing I thought was boy, they sure have balls to be even selling this, much less putting the info on the packege. I hadn't had McNuggets in at least a decade so I didn't feel bad about eating them, but I'm sure I will probably not eat them again.

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2006, 07:33:21 pm »
Besides.......Bojangles is far superior.

oh gosh!-Bojangles!  :P   :P  when i allowed fast food in my life Bojangles would send me into an absolute TIZZY!!!! loved it! now all that stuff is just a fond memory.

What I stuff in my mouth is my business.

:o  :o  :o
well said!

Offline Gary85741

• Native Virginian living in Tucson AZ
    • Good guy, good heart
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2006, 02:14:10 pm »

What is wrong with this dysfunctional society?  Heaven forbid the litigants take an ounce of responsbility for what they eat.  No no...blame it on someone else.

Now I've also heard an idea floated about that fast foods should have some sort of (additional) tax...like a "fat tax"...placed on them.  Don't even try it!  At 6' and 140#...and wasting too...I need lots of calories...even though some may come from less that nutritious or wholesome foods. 

I very seldom eat out...fast-food or otherwise...but I wish the government would stop trying to legislate personal behavior which hurts no one else.  I've had more than my fill of all of that as a smoker.  It's my choice to make...grrr.

Gary
Poz since '89. 
Current regimen: Rescriptor, Emtriva, Kaletra, Invirase, Acyclovir, Lisinopril, Lipitor, Prilosec, Valium, Testim, Nandrolone, Loperamidr, Marinol.

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2006, 02:54:09 pm »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 08:35:25 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2006, 08:13:37 pm »
Since when, in America, was a lawsuit frivolous?

- matt (who roasts his own chicken)
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2006, 09:12:28 pm »
Article: KFC switches to new low linoleic soybean oil    - This as I watch the weight loss reality show "The Biggest Loser"  :D

Offline Eldon

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2006, 11:07:15 pm »
Mmmm...

They do not make it like they used to. But, Bojangles and Popeye's...talk about some buttermilk buscuits and their fried chicken!!!

But like it is said...in moderation.

Make the BEST of each and every Day!

Offline Longislander

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2006, 12:54:48 am »
Ever since they opened a private rotisserie chicken place in my town, there is absolutely no need for KFC. I practically LIVE there!

And yeah, people need to be responsible for their own actions. If you don't want trans-fat in your chicken, get your chicken from someplace else!
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline MSPspud

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2006, 10:10:52 am »
Looking back on this, was it all that difficult for them to switch away from transfats?  It's lawsuits like this that have added to the decision for them to finally do the right thing. 

Offline ChaplinGuy

• Eat my left foot
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2006, 10:31:48 am »

Sorry fellas, but this is one area where I become a big fat ragging conservative in my otherwise Oregon-raised liberal approach to society....

When are we as a country going to start taking responsibility for our actions and stop legislating common sense? Bill Maher calls it "legislating taste" (referring to things like whether you think two guys should be able to kiss in public, which is a preference rather than a necessary regulation).

To think that gun manufactureres and the NRA are protected, under our Constitution no less, from nearly all injury liabilities for the promotion and distribution of a product that is specifically designed to kill people. And yet we do feel theneed to be protecting people from making their own -- albeit stupid -- choices about what they eat.

What I think is most interesting is how the media is covering this issue -- which I sense is leaving a lot of people to think that now that the transfat is being removed, a KFC or other fast food meals will be "healthy". But we're not a country that appreciates the difference between healthier and healthy.

Offline MSPspud

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2006, 10:39:53 am »
You're actually in the majority here.  I am the outlier in my view. 

The food may not be healthy but it's no longer toxic sludge.  It's a big difference in my opinion.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2006, 06:37:51 pm »
What are they gonna use now?

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2006, 06:42:43 pm »
But we're not a country that appreciates the difference between healthier and healthy.

We can learn alot from Gwyneth Paltrow and Demi Moore - they eat health food.

... But they can afford private chefs too  :-\

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2006, 06:43:42 pm »

Offline Cliff

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2006, 06:57:32 pm »
soybean oil....yuck.  they'll be back to lard soon.

Offline MSPspud

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2006, 10:53:48 pm »
They weren't using lard.  They were using hydrogenated vegetable oil, most likely soybean oil.  The difference is, they are not going to hydrogenate it now.  There should be no difference in taste, Cliff.

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2006, 02:50:16 am »
Hell, the American Heart Association should put a hit out on the KFC flack who came up with this mega-unhealthy meal  ;)

http://www.kfc.com/menu/bowls_potato.asp

(of course he or she probably get a huge raise by brainstorming on a method of using yesterday's leftovers for today's meal)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.