Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:05:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 303
Total: 306

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pineapple Express  (Read 3864 times)

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
Pineapple Express
« on: November 07, 2006, 03:19:54 pm »
Pineapple my butt!   >:(

Things are a mess here .  Pineapple Express refers to the warm moist air blowing in from Hawaii, it produces unusually warm temperatures (68 degrees yesterday/same for today) for us, but brings torrential rain.  , we've received 7 inches in the past six days.  Streets are flooded, catch basins are overflowing, landslides/rockslides are a very real possibility.  The city has engineers (or whoever they are) checking out hillside above my house at this very moment to see how much risk there is for the hill to come sliding down.  All I know is if one of those big expensive homes up there ends up in my yard, I'm keeping it!   :P  I have water seeping into my basement (of course it's coming into the finished part of the basement, soaking the carpeting, making a mess of furniture, etc) like someone opened a tap.  It's all I can do to try and keep it contained. 

We are in a "State of Emergency"

As drenched as we are down here , it's even worse the farther North you go.  Another forums member who lives about 50 miles from me just bought his first new home, I'm concerned because he sits right above a river that is expected to flood and the development he's in has only been graded, no real vegetation, swales, drainage are in yet. Even further North Ademas is getting drenched in  from what I understand on the news.

(Damn salmon swimming across a highway!  Jesus!)

I think it's going to be a very long winter! 

RAB

« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 10:12:53 am by RAB »

Offline ademas

Re: Pineapple Express
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 04:08:48 pm »
The Green River is up about 15-20 feet.  See that little fishing shack across the river?  It usually sits up the bank, maybe 12' - 15' above the water level.  Now the water is halfway up the door, and it's still raining like a mofo.  It's up another foot since I took this picture.

Normally, standing on the levee (where I took this picture--about 50 yds. from my back door), you can barely see the river because it's too far down and hidden by brush and berry brambles.

No flood warnings for my neighborhood yet, but the water flow is at 11,000 c.f.s., the highest since 1996, and extreme flooding and levee seepage can occur at 12,000 c.f.s.

I'm glad I'm in a townhouse.  If it doesn't stop rising in the next hour, I'm going to be moving stuff upstairs!

http://dnr.metrokc.gov/wlr/flood/green-river.cfm

(sorry about your basement, Rab!  That's miserable.  I heard on the news last night that the jet stream was shifting south a bit--so you are getting the brunt of it now.  We are getting heavy showers still, but at least we're getting the occasional break.)

« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 04:33:46 pm by ademas »

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 05:22:12 pm »
So why did the salmon cross the road?
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 05:27:43 pm »
Hi Rab

Sorry you are having a hard time there at the moment..lets hope that house on the hill is full of nice antiques...they could bring a good price and would at least cover the bills if a lot of damage is done.. ;)....but of course I'm hoping it won't come to that.

I hope our friend is ok I'm sure we will hear how things are going.

Thinking of you...I don't want to rub it in, but it's a beautiful day here in NZ...sorry.

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 05:37:17 pm »
I hope the pineapple express, takes a one-way ticket back to Hawaii.  I hope things dry out before any serious damage is done to your home.  Lord knows, you don't need any more crews working in your home.

Cliff

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 05:48:59 pm »

Maybe he was trying to get away from "Jack the kipper"....sorry... :-[

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Jody

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 07:19:49 pm »
Hi Rocky...I was thinking of you today and called you earlier to discuss the elections and then I saw the World News at 6:30 and was concerned, now I read this...I hope your house is Ok and will pray that "Rain, rain go away"

Take care and stay dry.

Jody  :( 
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Basquo

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 07:26:37 pm »
Code: [Select]
because those locks are so last season!

I hope you dry out soon!

Offline Robert

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 12:04:32 am »
rocky....

I heard about you on the news this morning.  It doesn't sound good.  You say Pineapple Express.  I say El Nino. 

I hope our friend in the new house is OK.  I'll be thinking about you and Ademas and our friends.  If you or the others need help, please let us know.

robert

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 10:28:40 am »
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 10:13:49 am by RAB »

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 01:42:30 pm »
Rocky.

I am so sorry to hear this.  I heard the forecast last night and cringed.

This happened to Mike and me when we were living in SF about 10 years ago.  The rains started in March and it rained so hard and for so long that eventually the feds declared SF a federal disaster area.  Some more spring rains started up again in May.  By then, though, the feds had backed out of the picture.  But the ground was so innundated that even the slightest hint of rain caused flooding.  The retaining wall between us and the neighbors collapsed and our back yard ended up in their back yard.  It cost us 15k to fix that. AND YOU'RE RIGHT.  THE INSURANCE WOULDN'T COVER IT!!
If these rains keep up, I'm sure they will declare your area a federal disaster.  What that basically means is that you can get a low or no interest loan.  Oh and make sure you get some qualified bids.  There are some real shysters out there who love to cash in on other peoples laments. 

good luck my friend.

robert

(who lives in the shadow of Mt. Lassen, an active volcano.  Should it ever blow its top, well, si la vie.)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2006, 01:46:00 pm by Robert »

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 02:02:48 pm »
Rocky,

consider a move to the sunny South........or at least a visit!   You sound like you could use a break about now....

$15,000?  Good Lord.   Don't you just love insurance?   My auto insurance costs me a fortune, yet anytime I ever NEED to have a repair, I can't afford it because of the $500 deductible.....so what good is it?

Good luck with all of this honey.   Keep us posted.
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 02:25:55 pm »
Hey Rocky...

Having gone thru Katrina I can certainly appreciate your situation.  Hang in there sexy......if you should decided to head south
I always have an extra bedroom (if you don't mind sleeping in a purple/mardi gras room).  Otherwise hope the weather gets better and
you're OK????  Keep us informed..........
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 06:40:37 pm »
Hello Rocky,

Sorry to hear about all the nasty weather, that you've been having. I saw the one live video of the salmon crossing the road the other day, on one of the news networks. I was waiting for the bears to show up, for an easy catch.

I hope it starts drying out soon for all of you, and hopefully you won't sustain anymore damage. Having been flooded three times since 1985 ( here in Florida) , I very well understand the pain of it all.

The Best-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.