Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:06:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 624
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 599
Total: 599

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Truvada Casting Call  (Read 5675 times)

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Truvada Casting Call
« on: April 02, 2009, 05:42:26 pm »
Hey ;)

I came across some information re: a casting call for a Truvada commercial/ad. I don't have anything to do with it, I'm just passing on the information in case anyone is interested. Looks like they're looking for one black female and one non-black male.

*CASTING FOR TRUVADA*

We are doing a casting for Truvada. We’re looking for *Men* and *Women*.
Please look closely at the specs below, you are *ONLY *eligible for this
casting if you fit *ALL* the specs. Note, you *MUST* be currently taking
Truvada.

*WOMEN:* You must have been on thymidine anolog + PI during
pregnancy and delivered a healthy HIV- child, then switched to Truvada.

If you fit the specs for either Patient 1 or 2 please reply confirming you fit the specs along with the following information. Also make sure you send a recent photo taken within the last 3 months in a JPEG
format. Make sure the shot is the highest resolution possible and clear!
No sunglasses or hats, natural lighting seems to be best.

*PLEASE REPLY WITH THE FOLLOWING INFO IN ORDER TO BE CONSIDERED*

Name: *

City:*
State: * *

Cell #: * *

Are you taking Truvada?

When did you start taking Truvada? Month:*
* Year: * *

Have you done any prior work for HIV print or commercial?

If so, When? * * What
Product? *

*SPECS*

*PATIENT PROFILE #1: *African American female, In her 30’s

· Was on a thymidine analog + PI during pregnancy. Delivered a
healthy HIV negative child

· Stable on thymidine analog +PI post-partum, changed to TRUVADA
because she wanted a simpler regime

· Viral load is undetectable and CD4 Cell count is stable

· No visual signs of lipoatrophy

· Preferably on TVD for 3 years

*PATIENT PROFILE #2:* Male (Of any race, *EXCEPT* African American)

· Treatment-naï ve patient with high baseline viral load (>100,000)

· Started with TRUVADA and is now undetectable

· Has been on TVD for 3 years

* Lilly Colón*

*Lilly@TheMorganAge ncy.com*

www.themorganagency.com

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Truvada Casting Call
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 06:00:51 pm »
dramatic reading. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Basquo

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 09:15:14 pm »

· No visual signs of lipoatrophy

*PATIENT PROFILE #2:* Male (Of any race, *EXCEPT* African American)

I appreciate Lilly's trying to have authentic models, but take exception to the requirements I've quoted.

Offline decayingsinner

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 09:50:00 pm »
I would totally do it, but I haven't been on Truvada for 3 years yet.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 10:58:48 pm »
Wonder how they'd like a photo of what came out of me WHILE I was taking the Truvada?  That should make a pretty picture for them......

Of course they don't want models with lipoatrophy!   Ssshhh.....we can't let anyone know that AIDS isn't a "pretty disease".....

::)
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline mjmel

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:18:56 am »
Wonder how they'd like a photo of what came out of me WHILE I was taking the Truvada?  That should make a pretty picture for them......

Of course they don't want models with lipoatrophy!   Ssshhh.....we can't let anyone know that AIDS isn't a "pretty disease".....

;D
that post made me chuckle as i share the same sentiments.

recently, i was musing at the faces on the upper right corner of this uploaded page and although i am glad some look so full-faced--for the most part, they are not majority; not us. a Hollywood version???

Mike

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 09:21:49 am »

Oh, but Alan honey, it is a pretty disease! I have a pretty belly, I have a pretty humpette, I have a pretty horsecollar neck, but, I have never taken Truvada.

I am really getting sick of Madison Avenue's vision of living with HIV.

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 11:04:49 am »
I'm pondering doing large scale full color nude portraits of Lipo Kids with Olan Mills backdrops.  Anyone want to participate?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 11:19:31 am »
I'm pondering doing large scale full color nude portraits of Lipo Kids with Olan Mills backdrops.  Anyone want to participate?

Only if you put enough Vaseline on the lense to make me beautiful.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 09:25:32 am »
Only if you put enough Vaseline on the lense to make me beautiful.

:o
OH MY! gymrat is venturing into dangerous territory here!
I'm SO jealous.
 ;)

Mike

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 09:32:52 am »

Of course they don't want models with lipoatrophy!   Ssshhh.....we can't let anyone know that AIDS isn't a "pretty disease".....

The idea of them not wanting anyone with lipo really pisses me off too, even though I'm yet on meds and don't suffer from lip. It's discrimination of the worst kind.

And whatever happened to truth in advertising? I thought there were laws in place in the US that kept companies from making false claims and to my mind, showing ONLY people without lipo is exactly that - making an false claim.

Once again, I'm so glad that there are laws in the UK to prevent the advertising of medications. At least we don't have to see unrealistic portrayals of people who take hiv meds on billboards etc.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 06:23:50 pm »
The idea of them not wanting anyone with lipo really pisses me off too, even though I'm yet on meds and don't suffer from lip. It's discrimination of the worst kind.

And whatever happened to truth in advertising? I thought there were laws in place in the US that kept companies from making false claims and to my mind, showing ONLY people without lipo is exactly that - making an false claim.

Once again, I'm so glad that there are laws in the UK to prevent the advertising of medications. At least we don't have to see unrealistic portrayals of people who take hiv meds on billboards etc.

Ann

I guess I look at this like any other advertising -- you use what will help sell your product.  Everyone in toothpaste commercials have perfect teeth.  Everyone in cruise commercials are hot.  Everyone in commercials for diabetes drugs have all their appendages.  It would be suicidal for any company to market the products using images that would create a negative image for someone.  These aren't meant as public service announcements.

Now -- I agree with Ann -- I don't think we should allow advertisements for medications, but seeing that we do, we can't expect these companies to do things that would have the OPPOSITE effect of what marketing is about.

Mike
(modified to better make a point)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 05:57:25 am »
I guess I look at this like any other advertising -- you use what will help sell your product.  Everyone in toothpaste commercials have perfect teeth.  Everyone in cruise commercials are hot.  Everyone in commercials for diabetes drugs have all their appendages.  It would be suicidal for any company to market the products using images that would create a negative image for someone.  These aren't meant as public service announcements.

Now -- I agree with Ann -- I don't think we should allow advertisements for medications, but seeing that we do, we can't expect these companies to do things that would have the OPPOSITE effect of what marketing is about.

Mike
(modified to better make a point)

The example of diabetes meds doesn't ring true, as it's not the meds that cause amputation, but the disease itself.

If they're going to be allowed to advertise medications, they should be held to a stricter definition of "truth in advertising" IMO. At the very least, they should be required to add a disclaimer stating the more common side-effects associated with WHATEVER drug they're trying to sell (and not in tiny print, either). It's not like we're talking toothpaste or cruises here, we're talking about people's lives - and quite often medications that are going to save those lives. Toothpaste isn't life-or-death.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 08:52:19 am »
The example of diabetes meds doesn't ring true, as it's not the meds that cause amputation, but the disease itself.

If they're going to be allowed to advertise medications, they should be held to a stricter definition of "truth in advertising" IMO. At the very least, they should be required to add a disclaimer stating the more common side-effects associated with WHATEVER drug they're trying to sell (and not in tiny print, either). It's not like we're talking toothpaste or cruises here, we're talking about people's lives - and quite often medications that are going to save those lives. Toothpaste isn't life-or-death.

Ann
I agree with overall feeling. 
While you (and I) may see my examples as different -- advertisers do not.  They are simply trying to get a target audience to choose their product over their competitors  whether that is HIV meds, diabetes meds, cruises, or toothpaste.  The fact remains that, unless there is a law to mandate differently, no advertiser is going to go the way of a realistic representation.  They will list the side effects, as required, in the most unobtrusive way possible.

I'm not defending this -- I'm simply stating that advertising is advertising -- all the hand-wringing and anger isn't going to change it -- without getting legislation.  So, we shouldn't aim anger at advertisers -- it should be directed at the government that allows medications to be advertised to the public.

When I read posts like this -- I get the feeling that we want these advertising companies to act like educators to the uninfected.  I don't see this as their role (and clearly -- neither do they).  They are marketing to doctors and HIV infected people. 

Mike

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 10:04:01 am »
Mike, yes, we are pretty much in agreement - except for the idea that I would want advertising agencies to educate the uninfected, because I don't. I just want them to be more realistic and truthful. But yes, you are correct in saying it's the governments which ultimately need to be held responsible for allowing such practices.

The closest we see in the UK is advertising - and I've only seen it in hiv-oriented magazines - of the companies themselves who manufacture hiv meds. They don't mention specific drugs - they're not allowed.

For example, looking through my last six quarterly copies of the UK publication Positively Women, there are only two drug company ads in each magazine.

Five of the magazines have an ad for Abbott on the back cover. The only graphic is Abbott's trademark "a", formed from a red ribbon. The text below the graphic reads "Awareness. Understanding. Commitment" In the lower left-hand corner it says "Shaping the future of HIV care" and in the lower right-hand corner, the trademark "a" appears again along with Abbott Virology (the only actual mention of Abbott). One magazine also advertises Abbott on the back cover, but the graphic is two different hands, cupped together, holding the red-ribbon trademark "a". There is no text in the left corner and the right corner is basically the same as above, but instead of saying "Abbott Virology", it says "Abbott A Promise for Life."

Inside five of the magazines, the only med-related advertisement is from Gilead. This ad shows a group of people (in one case it's a different photo of people in a line) from all walks of life - and no, none of them show signs of lipo. The text above the photo says "Putting Patients 1st", with a red ribbon. In the lower right hand corner, the only mention of the company is "Gilead. Advancing Therapeutics. Improving Lives."

In one magazine, the only drug ad is a joint effort from (sponsored by) Gilead and Bristol-Myers Squibb. The graphic shows a hand holding an all-white Rubik cube, with a red ribbon in the lower right-hand corner with sponsored by BMS and Gilead beneath the ribbon. The bottom third of the page is red with white text saying - "Life is complicated enough. Talking to your doctor may help you manage your HIV regimen better." (Gilead and Bristol-Myers Squibb are joint manufacturers of Atripla)

So while they're getting their company logos in print, they're not hawking any particular drug. And let's face it, the main bonus is that the money they pay to have their logos in print enable the publication to keep going. I don't mind this type of advertising because they aren't saying such and such a drug is what you should be taking.

By comparison, my May 2009 POZ magazine (an American publication for those of you who might not be aware) starts off with a four-page ad for a contest sponsored by Reyataz (Bristol-Myers Squibb). Obviously an ad for Reyataz, but to be fair, the main reason the ad is four pages long is because they list the whole FDS-Approved Patient Labeling Patient Information. It is also (fairly) prominently mentioned that REYATAZ is one of several treatment options your doctor may consider. Directly below that, it states: You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch or call 1-800-FDA-1088.   So kudos to BMS for truth in advertising in that particular instance.

Next up is Merck's three page ad for Isentress. Again, patient information is included. A few pages later, we have a four page advertisement for Prezista followed closely by a four-page ad for Atripla. This is fifteen pages of drug advertisement before page 20 - out of a total page count of 44, 46 if you count the inside covers, the front of which is part of the Reyataz ad.

I would imagine (but don't know because my only affiliation with POZ magazine is the forums) that POZ magazine insists on such long advertisements because they want the full patient information to be included. But how many other publications have the same attention to detail?

Does anyone have any examples of hiv med advertisements where the ads are only a page or two long and do not include the extensive patient information that POZ does? Ads on telly? Ads on billboards or public transportation?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 11:01:33 am »
Ann -- the FDA requires the full patient insert in pharma print ads that mention a drug and what the drug does.  For TV ads, they need to provide a website where folks can read the same info.

Pharma can get around this requirement only by running what's called a non-branded ad -- something that doesn't actually mention their drug (like a "get tested for HIV" ad, or "are your HIV meds causing diarrhea? Ask your doctor about other options" ad).

Offline poz4afewyears

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 10:32:25 pm »
Great. Gilead trying to further perpetuate the myth that Truada doesn't cause lipid problems. I understand they are selling a product, but this borders on false advetisement.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.