Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:37:16 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 439
Total: 439

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A Message from tnboy.  (Read 9683 times)

Offline tnboy

A Message from tnboy.
« on: December 17, 2007, 07:12:35 pm »
First let me say "Thank You" to each and everyone of you for this tremendous show of concern and support of my situation.

I am not sure I am doing the right thing by starting a new thread from the one dragonette started but I felt it might be easier this way but if not I apologize. I will do my best to clarify, but as many of you know that have been there, when you are not feeling so well it can be difficult to put into words exactly what you are trying to say.

Unfortunately, I do not feel up to a very detailed post but I will do my best to share a bit of what is going on.
I have not been on any HIV meds for almost 3 years due to financial reasons. I do have Medicare with a part D plan but do not qualify for any assistance programs to help cover the cost of my co pays. Many people have been working with me on this for months now but have not been able to get much accomplished as of yet. As we all know there are rules and guidelines to everything and it can be very difficult to get those changed and many times they cannot be changed.

As I mentioned in another thread, I have recently seen a new primary care doctor and he is working on doing everything he can to get me treatment. For now my ID doctor can only get samples of Kaletra and Invirase. He told me they are not the ideal combo to be on because they are both PI's but he thinks they might work. His main concern is if I will be able to take them I have a history of very. bad side effects.

Both doctors want me on these meds A.S.A.P. and understandably so. I have personally made the decision that I want to start them after Christmas because I have children and grand children and I would like to enjoy the Holiday with them as best I can. I know this is not what most in my situation would do but it is my choice.

I Know this information may seem very little but I just wanted to let everyone know that the situation is being worked on and tho it may be temporary it gives me hope.

I cannot tell you how much I do appreciate everyones PM's and I have even gotten calls today and I am just amazed by the Love and support shown from this site. To those of you that have sent PM's but have not heard from me I apologize. I thought I had answered them but please understand my memory is not so well these days either.

I am getting tired now and need to close but I have spoken to Jan and Dragonette today by phone and have tried to explain the situation to them as best I can so maybe they will help me out here with any questions anyone may have.
I wish I felt  up to responding to each and everyone of you but I trust you understand.

I will do my best to keep you posted as to what is going on with me in the days ahead.

Much Love to All.
Mike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: A Message from tnboy.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 07:17:46 pm »
Mike,
Only you know when the best time is to start on your combo of meds.  I wrote in the other post (Drag's) that I have quite a bit of spare Lexiva and Truvada, if you ever need anything else.  I probably have enough of each for 4-5 month coverage.  Just pm me and let me know.  I don't know anything about how Tennessee works with med coverage, I live in Indiana.  But, like I said, if you need the meds, pm me with the information on where to send them and they're yours.  Thinking of you tonight and keeping you in my prayers-
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mjmel

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 07:32:51 pm »
Mike, it is an informative and general overview of your situation and a damn good post. Thanks for taking the time to compose it as I realize you fatigue out easily. When you feel up to it we'd be happy to hear from you whether it's an update or just to say, "Hey gang!"
Again, my thoughts and prayers be with you. Hope you enjoy your grandkids and family during Christmas holiday.

Mike M

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 08:27:37 pm »
Mike,

My thoughts and prayers are with you.   I hope that a solution to this problem can be found.   

Love & hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 12:14:30 am »
Hey Mike,

I will have a supply of meds on hand shortly. If I can be of any help, let me know.

I will be sending copious positive energy to you.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 03:40:06 am »
Mike, I know how difficult it was for you to post this. Have a great Christmas. I'll be thinking of you.

Hey guys,

I will just say while it's still fresh in my mind, what I understood from talking with Mike. Most of it he has already said himself, or you have probably figured out, I guess:

Mike's main problem is that although he has Medicade, he has to pay a monthly copay for his meds but, much more alarmingly, once he spends over 2,500$, he has to pay 100% of their cost.

I asked him the "million dollar question" - can you decrease your benefits (money he recieves, I am not sure from where, I am guessing it's based on his former income the way it is here, like social security) in order to be able qualify for more aid with the health? He can't, they won't let him. These things are decided btw different beauros and they don't care that they block each other. He would have loved to give up some of his income to be elligable for med coverage, it's just not doable.

Right now, he has just got access to a month's supply of Invirase & kaletra, which is basically a donation from his doctor based on drug samples that he gets, on a monthly basis. This is not ideal because the combo is 1) missing one drug 2) based on 2 PIs and 3) has completely no backup in case he can't handle it or God forbid becomes resistant.

He said it would be best if he we could compile a list of all the different spare meds people may have, and their quantities. Then he can take it to his doc and see what they can build with that. He was actually concerned that people will send him drugs which he won't be able to use and that would be a waste cos they could use it elsewhere... so he prefers to OK everything with his doc before asking them to post for this reason.

His waiting till after Christmas is basically because he it so rundown already and he is afraid of massive sides that would scare his family I guess.

Asides from getting a stock of meds to pull him thru to minimal health, as Philly well pointed out, he needs to work on the larger issue and become elligable for meds, because donations will only last that long. Seeing as things have deteriorated so much, this "med collection" is a kind of last resort. Mike currently can't fight much with the establishment, he needs to get on the road to health first.

What can I say? You guys have touched me with your kindness,
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 03:57:29 am by Dragonette »
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline tnboy

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 07:40:45 am »
Hey Guys,

I want to say a "Very Heart Felt Thank You" again to each and everyone of you for your outpour of concern and kindness during this very difficult time.

A special Thanks to drangonette for seeing the need to call on you guys for input. When I spoke with her yesterday she was concerned that she had offended me or maybe some of you from her post so I hope that is not the case for I know she was acting out of much concern for my health. It was most generous of her to give of her time to act on my behalf and I do appreciate it Very much!

For all of you who have made offers to send meds please know that it is not going unnoticed. As drangonette explained, I will make a list of what everyone has to offer and let my doctors advise me of which ones I would be able to take and I will then let you know. This is so kind of all of you and I promise I do not take it lightly.

Thank You Matty and all others for your PM's I will be in touch with you as soon as I can but in the meantime Know that I am just so Thankful for your concern and show of Love and support.

I just wanted to share with you that the last time I saw my ID doctor he told me that he now has 5 other patients that are having the same problems with the cost of their meds and he is trying to help us all. I was the only one for a long time but now because of cuts, there are 5 of us just out of his office.

I wish Everyone a Great Holiday and I will keep you posted as I can.

"Merry Christmas All"
Mike

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 07:57:45 am »
Hi Mike,

Your situation regarding access to the meds is exactly why ACT UP has vigorously signed on to the PRIVATE HEALTH INSURANCE MUST GO COALTION and is working for Single Payer Coverage for all.

It's good to know you have a caring doctor who's working to get meds for you.

Hope you enjoy the holidays with your family and the New Year brings you the meds you need and better health.

Cheers and best regards to you,

Andy Velez

Offline tnboy

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 07:59:34 am »
I just wanted to add a "Thank You" to Peter and his staff for making this wonderful site possible and all the hard work they contribute to giving all of us, from all over the world, a place to communicate with one another. There are times of discord but when a need is presented everyone pulls together and does the right thing.

This little old backwards country boy is amazed by all this and Really does Appreciate it very Much!!

Thanks Guys, you are changing and saving Lives! :-*

Offline komnaes

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 10:23:45 am »
Hi Mike

I cannot offer much except to wish you the best and a big cyberhug.

And a happy X'mas to you

Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Dan J.

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 11:19:43 am »
Mike,
 I have extra Invirase & Kaletra 2 full bottles of each that have never been opened. Is that all that you need?  I also have 3 months of Viramune if you need it. I can bring it to you since we live very close to one another.

Let me know.

Love,

Dan

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 11:45:03 am »
I have two months worth of Fuzeon but I can't imagine you'd want it.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Robert

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 12:24:03 pm »
Merry chritmas Mike

And to you too, dragonlady.   this thread really gives meaning to christmas and the season of sharing. 

Put down Truvada, Reyataz and Norvir.  I have about a 6 week back-up on all three.  If the Dr says  you can use them, let me know.

robert

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 12:36:06 pm »
Mike I have extra Norvir and Truvada to throw in the pot if needed.

Hal

Offline Lakis

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 12:44:17 pm »
Hi tnboy,
I know how it is to be without meds....now I'm in a county with great covering and I dot enough meds to be able to share it with you...got videx,norvir,viread,telzir....some other meds too(Imodium,ibuprofen,tramal,zovirax,..) just let me know what u need.
Lakis

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 02:41:48 pm »
Mike---

Glad you had enough energy to post a few lines. I wish there was something I could do to help. I am a bit confused on the co-pay thing. I use to have to pay a co-pay for my Atripla and Ziagen. For some strange reason I can only get scripts for 23 days of Atripla instead of 30. But I think since I changed insurance I no longer have a co-pay.

But then I don't really understand how these programs work. I will be keeping you in my prayers. Don't ya love how this place comes together for someone in need. I think it is great. Enjoy your holidays..
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 06:05:05 pm »
Hang in there Mike, I have 30 days each of Sustiva and Truvada, unopened.  I am hoping that somehow we can pull together and help you to feel better soon!

~ Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 07:34:38 pm »
Mike,

Because my insurance allows me to order my 90 day supply a month early -- I've built up a bit of a supply (just in case...).  I could definately send a month or two of Atripla, Reyataz and Norvir.

Hang in there.

Mike

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 07:35:47 pm »
Mike,

I could get you two months of Epzicom, Viramune ann Viread.
I will have to lie and tell them my suitcase got lost, with two months worth of meds,  but i will do that with a smile if it can help you.
Let me know as I can send it back with Dan when he returns to the US at the end of January.

love

Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 11:08:12 pm »
Hello Mike,

It would help to know which meds you've been on that gave you bad side effects that you could not tolerate, which ones you could tolerate, and which one, if any, you've had resistance to if a previous test had been performed.  Perhaps we can help suggest a possible combo out of the ones mentioned here that you may be able to discuss with your doc.

Kaletra/Invirase has been used in the past as an unconventional combo in treatment-experienced patients who have had multiple resistance to NRTI's/NNRTI's.  But with the advent of newer classes of drugs, and the newer PI's, the practice of double-PI boosting has decreased because there is no evidence that it is better than just one potent, boosted PI.  However, it has been used and there is good drug combination data out there on how to dose it. 

Gerry

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2007, 08:40:09 am »
Hi Gerry & everyone,

I know that Mike didn't take meds for 3 years already and he had some bad reactions previously. I think he doesn't know much about the meds, esp with all the new ones available. He is also extremely exauhsted, I really felt that even posting here is difficult for him... so just in case he doesn't come back with an answer to your question, I am compiling a list summarizing everyone's potential donations including their amounts so he can print it and take it to his doc immediatly after the holidays. If we have more people with spare meds, please post them here or PM me.

If anyone who already posted that they can donate realizes that something changed and you are not able to spare them - or if you have posted not stating which meds or the amount - please fill in these details either here or via PM to me, so I can make this list as complete & acccurate as possible.

I'll make the list Thus morning (US time), after which will post it here for corrections, and PM it to Mike late Thus night (again your time). I you have any changes or additions pls PM him afterwards. I only come back on 7.1 so I do it now so he can catch his doc after the new year. If someone wants to do it again later, feel free to take over with copying the list and making adjustments and PMing Mike.

Sorry if it sounds a bit tedious, me listing what you all have listed already, but I am just trying to make things as easy as possible for Mike, since I have the feeling that even summarizing up all the info here or typing is difficult for him right now.
Hope you understand, just trying to organize it a little bit for him in his situation right now. Maybe he will come back here and post a response detailing his options like Gerry suggested and we can work from there -this is the plan in case he is not up for that.

Many many thanks to all of you. I could write a whole emotional post about that, but I will spare you for now  ;)

PS
I also have spares, Viramune 3 months and Viread & Epivir - 6. I have to see if I can get them to the US without posting them, as that is illegal and they can be destroyed.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 08:46:04 am by Dragonette »
"If you keep one foot in yesterday, and one in tomorrow, you piss all over today". Betty Tacy

Offline tnboy

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2007, 12:55:27 pm »
Thank You Dragonette so much for doing this for me. It will be a Great help to me for I am not feeling well at all today.
I have been having much pain in my right eye for a couple days making it difficult for me to even read.

I cannot express enough how much I do appreciate what everyone is doing on my behalf. I just hate that I do not feel up to responding as I should but I know you guys understand.Many of you have been there or have seen it so you probably understand what is going on better than I do. This is all new to me and I have no ideal what to expect so your support is very much appreciated!

Gerry, I will try to find out that information and let you know. To everyone that has sent PM's and have posted in this thread Please know that I am not ignoring you and I will do my best to make proper responces as soon as I can.

Love to All,
Mike

Offline Jnm594

• Fight! Fight! Fight the Good Fight!
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2007, 01:23:39 pm »

I just hate that I do not feel up to responding as I should but I know you guys understand

Don't worry about others feelings, the important thing as that you get the help you need and have a wonderful holiday with your family!

I'd be happy to help if I can.

Jeffrey

When it gets hard I always listen to my favorite song of all time..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJEYu3KgWCE

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2007, 02:19:54 pm »
Mike---

I understand that you are not well enough to respond. I really am surprised that you have as often as you have. I will stay tuned into this thread for further developments. You do what you can to try to feel better, if that means staying in the bed and relaying messages through Dragonette or Matty that is fine by me. I think my ASO sends meds to Africa or something, I will see if there is anything they might be able to do. Not sure since we're in different places but they might be able to give me some leads I could share.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline JBN727

• me in october picking pumpkins
    • My myspace
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 01:23:33 pm »
mike,

first of all..... happy holidays....enjoy your children and grandchildren while they are here for the holidays.... also.... i know you've been offered some meds by people.... i have an entire bottle of atripla never opened, and i have extra norvir and reyataz was curious what i could do with it.... would much rather give it to someone that needs it. im very fortunate that here in ohio im currently able to recieve meds for free... i'd love to send them to you if you can have them.....

john

let me know please
Im not giving up!....If this thing wants me, it better plan on a long ass foot race.

8/07 CD4 233 18% VL 30,700
9/07 started Atripla
9/07 Stopped Atripla Severe Allergic reaction
11/07 Started Truvada
11/07 Started Reyataz and Norvir
12/07

Offline Dragonette

• Spring symptoms
    • NotPerfectAtAll
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 06:40:32 pm »
This is a list of the people in the 2 threads who have spare meds for Mike. I would like to pass this list to him tomorrow before I go away for 2 weeks, hopefully he can show it to his doc before I come back. If you see yourself and some data is missing please update so Mike knows exactly what is available and for HOW LONG.

If you update after tomorrow, pls post here and also let Mike know by PM which meds and their exact amount that you can send. I am afraid that due to the state of his health he will miss or confuse some posts, hence my being so anal about this...

I also asked Cindy (moonlight) to keep an eye on this thread in case there any new posts show up in the future, and if so update the list and PM it to Mike in a more organized way. Cindy - thank you...  :-*

Asides from a huge thanks, just want to say Happy Holidays.

Grinch - Viread, Epivir, Kaletra (how much?)

Lis - some meds (which? How much?)

Ademas - Combivir - 3 months supply

Betty (bettytacy) - Truvada & Lexiva - 4-5 months

Cindy (Moonlight) - Truvada & Sustiva - 1 month

Mark (Aztecan)  - some meds (which? how much?)

Dragonette - Viramune – 3.5 months; viread + epivir: 6 months
[depending if I can send them to the US or not]

Philly - Fuzeon - 2 months

Dan (Dan J.) - Invirase & Kaletra - 2 months; viramune - 3 months

Robert - Truvada, Reyataz, Norvir - 1.5 months

Hal (Dachshund) – Norvir & truvada (how much?)

Lakis - Videx, Norvir, Viread, Telzir (how much?) & other meds (Imodium, ibuprofen ,tramal, zovirax & more)

Mike (Bocker3) – Atripla, Reyataz, Norvir - 1-2 months (can you please check if it's 1 or 2?)

Herman (heartforyou) - Epzicom, Viramune, Viread – 2 months

Alex (allopathicoslistic) – Norvir - 1 week

John (JBN727) – Atripla - 1 month; some Norvir, Reyetaz (how much?)

« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 06:43:05 pm by Dragonette »

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2007, 08:59:15 pm »
You got it, Drag.  *Reporting for duty!*

I will check in many times a day for any updates.  Enjoy your travels and I will email you if need be.   :-*

~ Cindy
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline bocker3

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2007, 09:24:50 pm »

Mike (Bocker3) – Atripla, Reyataz, Norvir - 1-2 months (can you please check if it's 1 or 2?)

As I am taking this from personal supply (I currently take these drugs myself), I can do up to 2 months, as Mike requires.  I have built up a cushion of a little over 2 months, as my insurance company lets me order my 90 day supply every 2 months. 

Hope that helps.

Mike

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2007, 10:21:30 pm »
As I am taking this from personal supply (I currently take these drugs myself), I can do up to 2 months, as Mike requires.  I have built up a cushion of a little over 2 months, as my insurance company lets me order my 90 day supply every 2 months.

OK.

It might be time for a little review of the situation.

Matty the Damned admires, but is not surprised by, the outstanding generosity of AIDSmeders in this case. It does the heart wonders to see, but I doubt that Mikey would want people to dip into their personal supplies of HIV meds.

I acknowledge, however, that people are grownups and can make their own decisions about what they do with their medications.

Mikey has told us that the combo he's going to start after christmas will be Invirase/Kaletra and that he will have a limited supply thereof. If people in the States have spare Invirase/Kaletra supplies and Mikey still requires those in the New Year I'm sure arrangements can be made to get them to him.

For people with other surplus medications, Lisa (Sweetieweasel) in NC runs a meds-bank and collects and distributes surplus to those in need. For more information about that, contact her by PM.

MtD

Offline bocker3

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2007, 07:36:39 am »

OK.

It might be time for a little review of the situation.

Matty the Damned admires, but is not surprised by, the outstanding generosity of AIDSmeders in this case. It does the heart wonders to see, but I doubt that Mikey would want people to dip into their personal supplies of HIV meds.

I acknowledge, however, that people are grownups and can make their own decisions about what they do with their medications.

Mikey has told us that the combo he's going to start after christmas will be Invirase/Kaletra and that he will have a limited supply thereof. If people in the States have spare Invirase/Kaletra supplies and Mikey still requires those in the New Year I'm sure arrangements can be made to get them to him.

For people with other surplus medications, Lisa (Sweetieweasel) in NC runs a meds-bank and collects and distributes surplus to those in need. For more information about that, contact her by PM.

MtD

I appreciate your take on this -- and are probably quite correct.  I would certainly not do anything that might jeopardize my well being - and would never give away my entire surplus.  However, given that Mike is in a very precarious situation and I am in a very fortunate situation, I have no problem dipping into my surplus.  My job (and therefore insurance) is not in jeopardy at the moment and I can replenish a two month surplus in four months time (I can place my next order in early Feb).  So, if Mike were in need of my drugs, I would gladly send them.

Hugs,
Mike

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2007, 11:05:20 am »
We have two and a half months of each. PM me your address.
Wish I had peeked in sooner.
I am thinking of you. Hoping you'll feel a little better soon.

{{{Mike}}}
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline tnboy

Re: A Message from tnboy. "Revisted"
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2008, 01:36:51 pm »
 Hey Guys,

First I apologize for not giving an update to this thread sooner but been having a rough start to the new year so far.
  As stated earlier in this thread, the plan was after the Holidays I would start treatment with Kaletra and Invirase.

I have been having problems with Thrush off and on for the last three years but usually a round of Fluconazole would clear it up for a while. Just before Christmas I developed a really bad case of thrush and again started taking the Fluconazole. It just did not seem to be working for me this time but I made it through the Holidays fairly well.

A couple weeks ago I started having pain in my chest and could not keep anything down and ended up in the hospital for 3 days because I was dehydrated. The Doctor ordered an endoscopy to be done and found that I had thrush in my Esophagus.

They gave me IV Fluconazole for a couple days and Ondansetron for the nausea and the plan was to see if I did well with that then my Doctor wanted to start me on the Kaletra and Invirase while I was in the hospital to see how my body was going to respond to the meds.

This all took place a week ago last Friday and my Doctor was not the Doctor on call over the weekend and the Doctor that did see me over the weekend did not seem to think my Doctors plan was necessary and sent me home on Sunday morning.

Of course I was glad to come home but feared I might not be really well enough and I did feel better about the ideal of starting the HIV Meds while still there but you have to do the boss says.

Last week was tough, I still have the thrush and throwing up some of the time in spite of the Ondansetron they gave me for the nausea.

Last Monday I did take it upon myself to start the Kaletra and Invirase and it has been horrible and I don't always keep it down but all I know to do is to keep trying and hope I am doing the right thing.

I am "VERY" tired, weak, and depressed and just really need a break but giving it all I got to fight. I just don't know how much fight I have left so keep me in your prayers and good thoughts.

Just wanted to update you guys a little of what has been going on and let all you know that I have not forgotten all your offers of meds but just trying to deal with all this one day at a time and not really sure what the best things to do are right now.

Thank You All So Much for your Concern and and I will try to keep you posted of any changes.

Love and Peace To All,
Mike

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2008, 06:09:32 pm »
Hey Mike, thanks for the update.  I am so sorry you're going through all this. {{{HUGS, BIG HUGS}}}
Peace-
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Dan J.

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2008, 06:26:14 pm »
The high quality care of Jackson-Madison County General Hospital. Soundsl like Dr. Sciosen sent you home. Our hiv doc is not on staff at the hospital and if this had gone on during the week while Dr. Guidi was in his office Mike more than likely would have not have gone home when he did.

Mike, I am sorry your still having a rough time of things. Hopefully the thrush will get better and you will be able to keep the meds down.  I wish I were home while all of this was going on I would have come & visted you in the hospital.

Let me know when you will be back to Dr. Guidi and I will meet you after your appointment. I live 1 mile from his office.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{MIKE}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Dan
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 06:28:21 pm by Dan J. »

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2008, 06:49:36 pm »
Oh, Mike!

You are in my thoughts!!

I hope the thrush clears soon...

{{{{{{{{{{{{Mike}}}}}}}}}}}}
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2008, 08:21:10 pm »
Hello Mike,

Sorry to hear about the problems you've been having. Yeah, thrush is a pain in the throat. Been there. Try to stick with the fluconazole, and take it on time. Thrush can sometimes be a bugger to get rid of.   

Your in my thoughts Mike------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2008, 08:55:54 pm »
Mike, if the fluconazole continues to fail have them put you on Sporanox it works really well for thrush.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2008, 11:11:42 am »
Mike,

I'm sorry to hear things have not gotten better.

Have you seen your regular doctor (or talked to him) since you were sent home from the Hospital?  I'm concerned about your reactions to the meds considering how weak you have been feeling for a while without some oversight with your regular doc.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.