Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 04:49:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 226
Total: 226

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: bloodwork  (Read 3170 times)

Offline franfrog

bloodwork
« on: September 16, 2008, 12:37:49 pm »
I am hoping someone can help me.  As some of you know, when I was diagnosed a little over 4 years ago and I had a cd4 of 52, I thought that this was the end for me.  So many people have made me see that this is just the start of a new life. 

Well it is true my labs have been good.  Last week my cd4 was up to 829 and vl was 80.  Well, I seem to have a problem with cholesterol and triglycerides.  I have my cholesterol now at 225(which runs in the family).  My triglycerides are up to 499.  The were at 915 which they should be at 22's.  They went down to the 300's but are now back up to 499. 
I am currently on tricor and she has prescribed me crestor.  I am starting to learn what I can and can not eat like less red meat and more chicken and fish(which I do not really like)

Is there anything you think that may also help to bring those numbers down.  What else is not good for me to eat?  What else is good for me to eat?
Thanks
Fran
7/05 diagnosis cd4- 52 vl -?
08/05 cd4-299 vl-1900
10/05 cd4-249 vl-349
12/05 cd4-349 vl-52
03/06 cd4-454 vl-<50
06/06 cd4-508 vl-<50

Offline Florida69

Re: bloodwork
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 01:16:17 pm »
Hey my favorite sweet...  I know how you feel, albeit my doctor's appointment is on Monday.  My Triglycerides were up and my doctor put me on the the generic form of Lopid and that seems to have done the trick, so far anyways, I am still keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed.  My Cholesterol continues to run above normal, and that too runs in my family.  She suggested that if I eat eggs, ditch the yolk, and try and eat whole wheat bread and whole grain pastas if you must have pasta.. I hope that helps..   Know you are loved.. D
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 01:20:07 pm »
Fran:

I'm assuming your cholesterol level of 225 reflects your total cholesterol level -- a borderline-high level. The Crestor will help with this, as will the diet lower in saturated fat. But what about aerobic exercise? This is one of the best way to INCREASE your high density lipoprotein levels -- the good cholesterol that can help counteract the effects of bad (low densitiy lipoprotein) cholesterol.

As for the high triglycerides,the Tricor should help here... but so can dietary changes, such as careful consumption of simple carbohydrates (think white bread, white rice, and white flour-based pasta), sugary foods, and alcohol. If you haven't done so already, cut down on your carbohydrate intake and gravitate toward whole grains instead of refined flour and such.

And what antiretrovirals are you taking? Some are more lipid friendly than others and, if you and your health care provider think that it might be a good idea to switch, there are options that will likely be a bit more agreeable in this regard.

Do keep in mind that cardiovascular risk usually depends on a combination of factors -- yes, lipid levels are one of them, but so are things like smoking (a big one), body weight, family history, etc.

Tim Horn

« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 01:24:36 pm by Tim Horn »

Offline franfrog

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 01:28:43 pm »
Hey my favorite sweet...  I know how you feel, albeit my doctor's appointment is on Monday.  My Triglycerides were up and my doctor put me on the the generic form of Lopid and that seems to have done the trick, so far anyways, I am still keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed.  My Cholesterol continues to run above normal, and that too runs in my family.  She suggested that if I eat eggs, ditch the yolk, and try and eat whole wheat bread and whole grain pastas if you must have pasta.. I hope that helps..   Know you are loved.. D
Hi my love.  I do eat whole wheat bread when I eat it.  I have been trying to do whole wheat pasta(because I can not live without pasta) sometimes I have no choice but the regular. 
I try to eat the egg beaters instead of eggs at all. 
Much loveXOXOXOXO

Fran:

I'm assuming your cholesterol level of 225 reflects your total cholesterol level -- a borderline-high level. The Crestor will help with this, as will the diet lower in saturated fat. But what about aerobic exercise? This is one of the best way to INCREASE your high density lipoprotein levels -- the good cholesterol that can help counteract the effects of bad (low densitiy lipoprotein) cholesterol.

As for the high triglycerides,the Tricor should help here... but so can dietary changes, such as careful consumption of simple carbohydrates (think white bread, white rice, and white flour-based pasta), sugary foods, and alcohol. If you haven't done so already, cut down on your carbohydrate intake and gravitate toward whole grains instead of refined flour and such.

And what antiretrovirals are you taking? Some are more lipid friendly than others and, if you and your health care provider think that it might be a good idea to switch, there are options that will likely be a bit more agreeable in this regard.

Do keep in mind that cardiovascular risk usually depends on a combination of factors -- yes, lipid levels are one of them, but so are things like smoking (a big one), body weight, family history, etc.

Tim Horn

Thanks Tim,
She asked me to hold off on the crestor though because I am trying to switch my sustiva to mornings.  I am on the combivir and sustiva since the beginning and it is doing so well, I hate to change it.
I have been on the tricor for a while now and though it has brought it down, not enough.  That is why she added the crestor. 
I am not an alcohol drinker, at all.  I have been trying to switch the pasta but rice-ugh that is a tough one. 

Fran
7/05 diagnosis cd4- 52 vl -?
08/05 cd4-299 vl-1900
10/05 cd4-249 vl-349
12/05 cd4-349 vl-52
03/06 cd4-454 vl-<50
06/06 cd4-508 vl-<50

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 03:01:56 pm »
Hi

I'm working on the cholesterol / triglycerides issues too.  Here's a few other things you might want to look into:

1) My GP told me the easiest way to get the triglycerides back to where they should be was aerobic exercise and losing 20 pounds .  At 20 miles on the stepper per week and losing 10 pounds, half the problem went away ... so, he's doing pretty well, so far.

2) If you don't like eating fish, there's always fish oil capsules -- I'm sorta cringing at the idea of bringing up supplements, but (unlike most ) there is a fair amount of evidence that fish oil may be helpful in reducing cholesterol levels.  I talked to both my GP and ID doc about this and they both approved (the ID doc said, "What, no flax seed?"   :) )

There's a wide variety of low cholesterol cookbooks available -- even if you don't cook, a trip to Borders would give you the opportunity to browse a few to get menu ideas etc.

Good luck

Assurbanipal
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline #1 mom

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2008, 02:10:19 am »
I have a problem with my # also. My doctor recomended fish oil/omega 3 supplements as well as being on prevachol. Exercise is another thing she recomended. The final thing I did on my own. Plant sterals which can be found in fruits/vegtables or taken in a supplement like "Promise active shots". I haven't gotten in to an exercise routine with trying to keep up with Lucas but I did the others and my chol went from 305 to 205. I don't  remember my tryglycerides # but she said it was fine now. Hope that helps.
Amy

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.