Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:50:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 675
Total: 677

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Three med combos proposed  (Read 2905 times)

Offline LordBerners

Three med combos proposed
« on: December 11, 2007, 12:56:40 pm »
My doctor has proposed three possible medical combinations for me to consider:

1) Truvada + Efavirenz

2) Truvada + Ritonavir + Atazanavir

3) Truvada + Abacavir + Zidovudine

Can any of you gentlemen and ladies comment on good or bad aspects of these choices?
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline keyite

Re: Three med combos proposed
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 06:59:36 pm »
As I'm not on meds I don't have experience of any of these. However, the third and last combination you outline sounds very odd to me - they all belong to the same class (NRTIs) and I wouldn't have thought that would be a particularly effective combo. Normally you combine drugs from different classes.

Also, zidovudine (AZT) is no longer a recommended first-line drug. That's not least because it is linked to lipodistropy. A more common first-line combination might be Epzicom (abacavir + lamivudine) and Sustiva (efavirenz).

With abacavir it is important to know that a small number of people get a severe allergic reaction to it, but also that a simple lab test can predict very accurately if you are likely to be in this group. If abacavir is chosen then make sure this test is performed if it hasn't already been done.

Hope that helps.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 07:02:23 pm »
The first 2 options are standard and follow the formula for 1st time treatment of 2 nukes (Truvada) + either an NNRTI (Sustiva) or boosted PI (atazanavir + ritonavir booster). This fulfils the rule of thumb for making an effective combination of using 3+ drugs from 2 or more classes.

The third, being 4 nukes, is not recommended for 1st line treatment.  3 nuke only combinations have a high rate of failure. 4 is unlikely to be better. For me, this is not a well suggested option unless there is a particular reason that leads to it being on the table << I can't think of any that would make it better or equal to option 1 or 2 though.

Truvada is one of the 2 nuke pairings recommended in many guidelines (it's tenofovir + FTC). The other is Epzicom aka Kivexa (abacavir + 3TC). Both have pros and cons. Both effective and generally easy to take. Seems to fall to doctor preference more than anything, which one you use.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline trellium

• stArk raving Borg
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 02:57:20 am »
LordBerners,

Unless you are enrolling in the ALTAIR trial, I would go with well proven #1 or #2.
#3 is highly experimental and untested for treatment-naive patients.

http://clinicaltrial.gov/ct2/show/NCT00335322?term=hiv&intr=tenofovir%2C+abacavir%2C+atazanavir%2C+Zidovudine&rank=2

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.