Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:41:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 357
Total: 359

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Stuff To Do in D. C.  (Read 86810 times)

Offline Basquo

Re: Stuff To Do in D. C.
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2012, 12:20:26 pm »
It's my roomie from Montreal!! Good to see you! Thanks for the tip on The Addams Family...I think I would like to see that. I've been all over DC but never to the Kennedy Center.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2012, 09:06:06 pm »
Don't forget to plan a trip to Arlington National Cemetery - the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is really something to see (especially when they change the guard), also the Challenger astronaut burial site, and the JFK and RFK grave sites - check out the list of burial sites, memorials, and monuments:

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/VisitorInformation/MonumentMemorials.aspx

Everything at the Tomb of the Unknowns is paced at 21 seconds and timed meticulously.

I used to jog through Arlington National every evening after work when stationed at Fort Myer VA, which borders the cemetery.

Really something to see. Iowa Jima Memorial is also close by

September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2012, 03:52:33 pm »
Don't forget to plan a trip to Arlington National Cemetery - the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier is really something to see (especially when they change the guard), also the Challenger astronaut burial site, and the JFK and RFK grave sites - check out the list of burial sites, memorials, and monuments:

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.mil/VisitorInformation/MonumentMemorials.aspx

Everything at the Tomb of the Unknowns is paced at 21 seconds and timed meticulously.

I used to jog through Arlington National every evening after work when stationed at Fort Myer VA, which borders the cemetery.

Really something to see. Iowa Jima Memorial is also close by

Phil,  both Hubby Bob & I would love to go see this, let's see if we can get a few people ( those who would like to see this) @ AMG D.C. 2012, if not we'd be more than happy to accompany you @ the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier  ;) I think all US service Vets past & present , as well as anyone else should see this  :)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2012, 05:40:16 pm »
Phil,  both Hubby Bob & I would love to go see this, let's see if we can get a few people ( those who would like to see this) @ AMG D.C. 2012, if not we'd be more than happy to accompany you @ the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier  ;) I think all US service Vets past & present , as well as anyone else should see this  :)

No problem Dennis -
We can probably let people know a day and time we will be going - the Metro actually has a stop at Arlington Cemetery.

Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2012, 05:46:01 pm »
I grew up there and don't even remember ever going to ANC, but then I hate America.  I'm sure my parents took me as a kid and I just don't remember it.

If the weather is nice you can probably just as easily walk from your hotel instead of taking the subway -- you'd only be taking the subway one stop anyway and then still have to walk a ways to get to the eternal flame location. The walk from the hotel to the eternal flame is probably 1.25 miles. Plus by walking you'll get to see the Iwo Jima Memorial.

fyi: Robert E. Lee's mansion is located there, as originally this was his family estate. I know some of our Southern members that still cling to the Lost Cause might find some masturbatory satisfaction in making a pilgrimage. But just remember the view across the river looks North.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 05:51:48 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2012, 05:56:03 pm »
Don't know if this has been mentioned but it might be a fun day outing:

http://potomacriverboatco.com/mount-vernon-cruise.php

There are also nice mule-drawn boat rides that (I think) depart from Georgetown and go up the old Chesapeake & Ohio Canal. Period costumes are optional.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 05:59:07 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline Jody

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2012, 06:53:20 pm »
I think riding on the river is a great idea by Miss Philly...Being on the water on ferries or boats in such places as Seattle and San Francisco and the river ride in Mexico City were all a lot of fun and a great, interesting way to see all the sites.  I'll also never forget the boat ride to Greenwich on the River Thames when visiting London.  So that is one thing I'd like to do in Washington.

Jody :) 
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2012, 07:11:29 pm »
Here's something else -- for a non-touristy thing to do, go to the Fish Market for fresh crabs w/Old Bay seasoning (if you don't know what that is look it up -- very Chesapeake/Mid-Atlantic region culinary item). You can get them by the bag and just eat them there at an outdoor table -- you order them by gender and though the females are pricier you should try some of both as females have some shad in the innards. This is the kind of thing that if you don't eat it you've not really experienced the local food:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maine_Avenue_Fish_Market

This is a doable walk from the Smithsonian Castle on the south side of The Mall, just go south down 10th St and when you get to the little park where the street ends you'll see the market on the other side of the road on the water.

Afterwards, if you use google-maps on your phone to guide you or you will get slightly lost, you should be able to walk to the Jefferson Memorial if you wish to. The Holocaust Museum isn't that far away either.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 07:14:36 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2012, 03:15:49 pm »
Oh, this is also fun in that Jefferson Memorial/Tidal Basin area -- in fact it was one of my favorite things as a kid:

Tidal Basin Paddle Boats

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2012, 05:55:30 pm »
One thing I need to do is visit the Vietnam Memorial.

My brothers name is on that wall.  He was only 19, had served less than 6 months before he was killed.

I was in 5th grade at that time.  It was a warm autumn morning (Oct 2nd, 1967) when the doorbell rang.

I was on the couch cleaning my clarinet getting ready for school.  My mother was sitting across the room.

I went to the door and let the young soldier in.  He stood at attention and started to say:  "On behalf of the President of the United States".

He got no further.  My mom stopped him and said:  "Don't give me any speeches.  Just tell me if he's alright."

The soldiers shoulders sagged, he looked down to the floor, and then at my mother.

"No mam I'm sorry he's not.  He was shot by a sniper and didn't survive."

It was so many years ago, but to this day the memory is still very vivid in my mind.

Thank you for allowing me to put this out there.  It took me a couple of days to decide whether it was appropriate or not. 

I'm so looking forward to AMG and all of it's wonderful and positive memories.
But this is something I must do.

RAB   :'(

Offline Jody

« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2012, 07:29:35 pm »
 :'(

Grateful Dead

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2012, 08:31:35 pm »
"No mam I'm sorry he's not.  He was shot by a sniper and didn't survive."

It was so many years ago, but to this day the memory is still very vivid in my mind.

Thank you for allowing me to put this out there.  It took me a couple of days to decide whether it was appropriate or not. 

Very touching, and such a tragedy.

Yes. You will need to go and do an outline of his name on a piece of paper ( I forget what they call that).

I would like to see the wall also.

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2012, 09:51:58 pm »
RAB,

A sad story, indeed. 
I was amazed at the powerful emotions that the Vietnam Memorial brought out in me -- and I didn't lose anyone close in that war.  It brought me to tears during my first visit.
I'm sure that the Wall will be even more emotional and meaningful to you.

Hugs,
M

Offline wolfter

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2012, 09:58:19 pm »

Of course it's appropriate for this post.  I'll gladly accompany you as I would love to visit the memorial. 

Take care and best wishes.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2012, 01:13:27 pm »
Thanks everyone for your support.  This will be my 2nd visit to the memorial.  I sense my emotional response this time will not be so much about grieving but about disbelief/anger over what that war brought about. 

Now back to the bright side, there's so many things to do and see in DC.  Heck we could spend our entire time in the Smithsonian and still not see everything.

I think someone should email President Obama and see if he'd issue a proclamation that DC welcomes AMG.   ;)

RAB 

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2012, 06:19:38 pm »
Thanks everyone for your support.  This will be my 2nd visit to the memorial.  I sense my emotional response this time will not be so much about grieving but about disbelief/anger over what that war brought about. 

;)

RAB

I know exactly,  believe me. 

I would like to see the Vietnam Memorial also.  I only saw the miniature one, that travels around the country.

I was 19 years old, when I received my "Greetings, you are hereby ordered for induction" into the Armed Forces" from uncle Sam, Vietnam was still going on, And I was certain that I was going to end up there, but I was fortunate enough to go to Germany.

less than 5 months after I received this letter, I was officially in the Army.  And looking back now, with no regrets.

[/img]

Also, On a lighter note,  I would like to do the cruse in the Potomac !

Ray

« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 06:23:49 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline denb45

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2012, 09:35:37 pm »
I know exactly,  believe me. 

I would like to see the Vietnam Memorial also.  I only saw the miniature one, that travels around the country.

Also, On a lighter note,  I would like to do the cruse in the Potomac !

Ray

Something all Vets should see, and all you non-vets out there as well  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2012, 07:04:21 pm »
Has this been mentioned? If not, why not?  ;D

http://www.secretsdc.com/

"All nude men, all night long."

and it looks like Thursday is military night. 8)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2012, 08:17:48 pm »
There's a good reason they keep Ziegfield's a secret:

btw, that place has been there for over 30 years. That whole district in the SW quadrant was the gay zone until they tore most places down to build the new stadium.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:20:45 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline bocker3

« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2012, 06:31:22 pm »
Hey gang,

I have 6 Priority Entry passes to the Holocaust Museum in DC.  While the museum is a fairly "heavy" experience, it is a fantastic one.  These passes are available to anyone who wants them -- just let me know.

Mike

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2012, 06:49:36 pm »
Hey gang,

I have 6 Priority Entry passes to the Holocaust Museum in DC.  While the museum is a fairly "heavy" experience, it is a fantastic one.  These passes are available to anyone who wants them -- just let me know.

Mike

I'd be interested in seeing that.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2012, 07:19:10 pm »
BEEN THERE ALREADY

ps: it's really an exceptional place. I interviewed with the NYC firm that did all of the exhibition design though never ended up working for them directly. They worked with my previous office as a consultant hence the connection.

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2012, 08:36:02 pm »
Not sure which night I will be going... but, I plan on having at least one meal (probably a lunch as it is a bit on the pricey side) at The Monacle (mentioned previously in this thread).

It is a DC staple - near The Capital complex and is where many Congressmen and Senators mingle. It is on the Senate side of the Capital.

http://www.themonocle.com/index.html

Luncheon at the bar menu:
LUNCHEON
at the Bar ...

11:30 AM to 3 PM

TO SHARE
White Beans, tossed with pesto and tomatoes, crostini / $4
Atlantic Salmon Mousse served with flatbread crackers / 7.5
Mediterranean Salad, feta, Euro cucumbers, Kalamata olives / 6
Roasted Blue Point Oysters, curried chardonnay sauce, three for / 7
French Fries with spicy mayo / 3.5

LUNCH PLATES
Twin Angus Burgers with cheddar and bacon $6.5
Filet Mignon sliced, caramelized onions and peppers, red wine reduction $12
Gulf Shrimp seared, with rocket salad, roasted red pepper dressing $11
Chicken Caesar Salad, with shaved parmigiano reggiano $12
Panzanella Salad with fresh mozzarella, roasted peppers $8

The food is out of this world.
Dinner is doubly delicious.

If anyone is interested in joining me for lunch, let me know - we can work out a day to go. Maybe before or after walking through the Capital building - checking out the Rotunda - and maybe stopping by the office of a representative or two.

30 days from today, I will be in DC - Can't wait!
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline bocker3

« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2012, 10:18:35 pm »

I'd be interested in seeing that.

-Will

OK -- li'l Willy gets one of them......

M

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2012, 11:46:54 pm »
Hey gang,

Mike

Hi Mike, I sent you a PM.

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2012, 06:53:03 am »
Hey gang,

Mike

If I were going to DC, I'd get in on this for sure. I've been to the Holocaust museum in Amsterdam as well as Anne Frank's house. Both were experiences not to be missed. I got chills up my spine in Anne Frank's bedroom and I teared up too. Her diary was the first "serious" book I read as a child and I've re-read it many times since. To actually stand there in the physical space she occupied was moving beyond words. We must never forget.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Jody

« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2012, 11:53:29 am »
Thanks Mike, if I can get a ticket to the museum as well that would be good.

Jody

Grateful Dead

Offline bocker3

« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2012, 06:26:49 pm »
You got one Jody.

4 tickets gone so far.  2 remaining.

Mike

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2012, 08:59:58 pm »
Boo. We are missing the AIDS quilt on the National Mall by one day :(

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2012, 09:51:47 pm »
Also the Larry Kramer play "The Normal Heart" will be at the Arena stage (Kennedy Center) through Sunday night of AMG week.  Extraordinary drama (rivals Angels in America) about AIDS in the early days.  I am seriously considering it on either Saturday or Sunday (there is a 2 pm matinee and an 8 pm evening performance both days.)

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline bocker3

« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2012, 10:12:53 pm »
Also the Larry Kramer play "The Normal Heart" will be at the Arena stage (Kennedy Center) through Sunday night of AMG week.  Extraordinary drama (rivals Angels in America) about AIDS in the early days.  I am seriously considering it on either Saturday or Sunday (there is a 2 pm matinee and an 8 pm evening performance both days.)

Gary

Hey Gary,

I'd be up for that -- never seen the show OR been to the Kennedy Center.  Of course, I'm still trying to figure out when / if Sid will be able to make it up.

Mike

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2012, 10:33:35 pm »

Gary
I would love to see that as well.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #82 on: June 27, 2012, 11:36:57 pm »
Unfortunately, we're going to miss the chance to see the AIDS Memorial Quilt, which will be on display until July 25 (dammit!).

http://www.aidsquilt.org/

Jan, since you'll be there for the IAC, if you get a chance to see the quilt, you should try to do so.  But be prepared and bring a tissue / handkerchief -- it's very moving.

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline denb45

« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2012, 08:31:26 pm »
Not sure which night I will be going... but, I plan on having at least one meal (probably a lunch as it is a bit on the pricey side) at The Monacle (mentioned previously in this thread).

It is a DC staple - near The Capital complex and is where many Congressmen and Senators mingle. It is on the Senate side of the Capital.

http://www.themonocle.com/index.html

30 days from today, I will be in DC - Can't wait!

Phil that sounds very good, but I want seafood with Old Bay Seasoning..........come now all you easterners take  me to where I can find some real good east-coast seafood, I'd be real happy  :D

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2012, 08:42:35 pm »
come now all you easterners take  me to where I can find some real good east-coast seafood, I'd be real happy  :D

It's a market, not a restaurant, but most stands also cook your product there with Old Bay. It's on the waterfront and there are picnic tables there where you can go and eat it.

It's also a walkable distance from the south side of The Mall. However, make sure to either use a map or write directions down in advance as you have to walk under or over a huge freeway, and then over another 4-lane parkway.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 08:47:59 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline denb45

« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2012, 08:53:50 pm »

It's a market, not a restaurant, but most stands also cook your product there with Old Bay. It's on the waterfront and there are picnic tables there where you can go and eat it.

It's also a walkable distance from the south side of The Mall. However, make sure to either use a map or write directions down in advance as you have to walk under or over a huge freeway, and then over another 4-lane parkway.

Thanks Miss P  I'm sure Bob & I will figure it out and find our way around.......He HATES seafood  :-\

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2012, 09:00:03 pm »

There is actually a Metro stop pretty close to it..... I think it is the Maine Avenue stop.... I used to work near there when I lived in DC....I worked in the SW quadrant, near DC Tracks (Trax) which was in SE quadrant.... at Buzzard's Point (which is gone now, as the stadium is in that area).

The Town Danceboutique is now DC's largest gay dance club....  I will be there, most definitely.
http://www.towndc.com/
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 09:05:40 pm by phildinftlaudy »
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline bocker3

« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2012, 09:22:56 pm »
Phil that sounds very good, but I want seafood with Old Bay Seasoning..........come now all you easterners take  me to where I can find some real good east-coast seafood, I'd be real happy  :D

Why on earth would you want to ruin perfectly good seafood with Old Bay??  Seafood should taste like seafood -- maybe with some melted butter, but not that horrid "seasoning".

Mike

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2012, 09:33:41 pm »
There is actually a Metro stop pretty close to it..... I think it is the Maine Avenue stop....

Yes, I know that stop but it's not that end of Maine, it's actually closer to the Smithsonian Metro by about 2 blocks.

Offline denb45

« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2012, 09:39:38 pm »
Why on earth would you want to ruin perfectly good seafood with Old Bay??  Seafood should taste like seafood -- maybe with some melted butter, but not that horrid "seasoning".

Mike

Well I'm the real seafood fan ( Bob Hates it) so I'll take my Seafood - Catch of the day, however I can get it  ;)

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2012, 09:55:59 pm »
According to Quilt2012.org, we may have some locations where sections of the quilt will be available to be seen up until a couple of days past July 25th:

http://quilt2012.org/quilt-display-locations/

AIDS 2012 Global Village
Walter E. Washington Convention Center
801 Mount Vernon Place Northwest
Display Dates: July 22 – 27

Arena Stage
1101 6th Street SW
Display Dates: June 1 – July 26

First Congregational United Church
45 G Street NW.
Display dates: June 27 – July 26

The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
2700 F Street, NW
Display Dates: June 26 – July 26

The Mayflower Renaissance Washington, DC Hotel
1127 Connecticut Ave, NW
Display Dates: June 27 – July 26

Peace Corps
1111 20th St, NW
Display Dates: May 24 – July 26

Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2012, 09:58:31 pm »
If you guys hit DC and the weather is anything similar to what begins tomorrow and then lasts for four days expect to stay indoors ;D

Friday: 98F
Saturday: 98F
Sunday: 100F
Monday: 99F

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2012, 10:14:21 pm »

Gary

Tickets for the matinee showing of Normal Heart (some great seats) start at $45 + $7 tax/fees = $52

I'm thinking of going either Saturday or Sunday to the 2 pm performance.

Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2012, 11:05:51 pm »

I never even heard of Old Bay until I lived in Virginia, and Tina has promised me blue crabs with Old Bay when I head to Fredericksburg right after the AMG  ;D  Although I am starting to see OB in the stores more and more in San ANtonio over the past few years. But it's always like only 2 cans up on the top shelf. Isnt there a blue can and a red can?
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2012, 12:23:52 am »
Willywump, yes there is other cans.  There is a lemon flavor and I think a garlic flavor also, it's about the only spice I use.

Den,  Woody's in North East MD has great seafood, I know it's not DC.  I live closer to there, and since I go to school in North East I had to check it out.

Michelle 8)
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2012, 12:46:48 am »
Boo. We are missing the AIDS quilt on the National Mall by one day :(

I'll be going to see that, I wouldn't mis it for the world.

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline denb45

« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2012, 11:27:08 am »
Willywump, yes there is other cans.  There is a lemon flavor and I think a garlic flavor also, it's about the only spice I use.

Den,  Woody's in North East MD has great seafood, I know it's not DC.  I live closer to there, and since I go to school in North East I had to check it out.

Michelle 8)

Thanks Michelle..........I don't wanna speak out of turn here, and I know that most of you despise these chain eateries, but any body know where I can find a Joe's Crab Shack | Seafood Restaurants | Crab Restaurants  anywhere near where we'll all be, sorry didn't want to be tacky about the whole chain thingy, so please forgive me here  :-[

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2012, 11:33:53 am »
Thanks Michelle..........I don't wanna speak out of turn here, and I know that most of you despise these chain eateries, but any body know where I can find a Joe's Crab Shack | Seafood Restaurants | Crab Restaurants  anywhere near where we'll all be, sorry didn't want to be tacky about the whole chain thingy, so please forgive me here  :-[

The closest one to the hotel is 25 miles away in Gaithersburg, MD

Offline denb45

« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2012, 11:37:37 am »
The closest one to the hotel is 25 miles away in Gaithersburg, MD

Wow...I'd have to rent a car for @ least a day to go eat there  ??? kinda not really worth it  :o

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2012, 11:47:02 am »
Wow...I'd have to rent a car for @ least a day to go eat there  ??? kinda not really worth it  :o

Well, uh... yeah. But other than that I don't quite "get" why you think you're going to find a difficult time locating seafood in the first place by just winging it. Hello, it's on almost every menu on the east coast.

Do you eat sushi? This is your opportunity to take it raw.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.