Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 07:16:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 164
Total: 165

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Infected or not?  (Read 3430 times)

Offline Pige89

• Standard
Infected or not?
« on: August 09, 2013, 07:47:33 am »
Hi,

I'm a guy of 24 years old.
The 1st of June I had protected sex with a guy with HIV, undetectable and on medications. Unfortunately during sex the condom broke. I went to sexual clinic to get the PEP inside the 24hours and I did the treatment for 28days.
Just a delay of 6hours the last day of treatment.

I did all the follow ups at the sex clinic and everything was fine. (I had some nausea and diarrhoea during the treatment and one day of high temperature)

The 23rd of July (so after 7/8 weeks from the possible infection) I had few days of high temperature and 4/5days of sore throat.
I was quite worried and I decided to do another test. I did the prick test at the sexual clinic that resulted negative.
How is this test accurate?
If those were seroconversion symptoms the test should have been positive, right?

At the moment I have some lymph nodes below my right hear bigger than usual  and i alternate days of normal feces to diarrhoea. I'm a bit worried.
What shall I do?

Please give me some advices and reassurance.

Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Infected or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 08:55:21 am »
Pig, none of the symptoms you are reporting are in any way HIV specific. And it would be highly unusual for you to be seroconverting at this point. You did the smart thing by doing PEP. If you were the insertive partner (which is not clear in what you wrote) then the risk would be even lower.

This is the calendar for testing post-PEP. You can test initially at 6 weeks after completing the PEP regimen. If your result is negative then it is very likely you will test negative at 3 months post-PEP and that result would be conclusively reliable.

Given what you have described I would say the odds are in your favor that your are going to come out of this HIV negative.

As for your symptoms, you should discuss them with your doctor if they persist. And please keep your hands off of your nodes. They are highly sensitive to touch and by bothering them you can create a problem. Again, they are something to discuss with your doctor.

Give all you have reported I expect this incident to end happily for you.
Andy Velez

Offline Pige89

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 03:22:49 pm »
Hi,

Thanks so much for your message.

I was receptive that night and unfortunately i can't tell how long we played with the broken condom before realise that was broken. We didn't realise it straight away.

When I went to the clinic for the test during the sore throat and the high temperature the doctor said that could have been just a tonsillitis.
My question is: if I do a test during seroconversion should the result be positive or negative? Is a prick test enough?

I know for sure that stress is not helping and I guess that some symptoms can be also related to this...

Thanks again

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 04:17:01 pm »
Yes, the test result would be positive if you were in the process of seroconverting.

You can use any approved HIV specific test. 
Andy Velez

Offline Pige89

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 11:07:05 am »
Hi,

I'm sorry if I bother again...few days ago, before writing on this forum I wrote to the clinic that is following me asking the same questions I asked here.

this is their message: The rapid HIV test is very sensitive but it does have a window period of 12 weeks. This means that if you have had an exposure less than 12 weeks before taking the test (as in your case), and you are seroconverting, it may not show up on the test.

I really don't understand who/what shall I trust...
I still have some diarrhoea and keep thinking about it it's just making things worst.

Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 11:28:58 am »
Pige,

You have to count your testing window from your last dose of PEP. This means that you tested at about three and a half weeks. If the discomfort you were experiencing when you did the test had anything to do with seroconversion, you would have tested indeterminate at the very least.

The illness associated with primary hiv infection that some (not all) people experience is not due to the virus itself. It is due to the process a the body goes through while producing antibodies. This is why hiv-related ARS (aka seroconversion illness) is no different to symptoms produced by the flu - both are simply signs that the body is producing some antibodies.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks (or six weeks post-PEP), with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days (or 22 days post-PEP). A six week (or six weeks post-PEP) or more negative must be confirmed at the three month (or three months post-PEP) point, but is highly unlikely to change.

You were unlikely to end up positive over this condom break, PEP or no PEP. Get busy with other things while you wait for the appropriate time to test again.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.