Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:03:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 361
Total: 363

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: DFW support group straight men/women  (Read 9059 times)

Offline jtgymguy

DFW support group straight men/women
« on: October 28, 2012, 02:52:50 pm »
Check out my support group...everyone is welcome

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StraightPozDFW/

Offline wolfter

Re: DFW support group straight men/women
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 03:02:14 pm »
Why is the group indicate that it's for straight men and women if everyone is welcomed?  How generous to indicate that we queers are welcomed as an after thought.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 03:02:57 pm »
JTgym,

Hi. I have a question and I mean no offense by asking it. A few weeks ago, I found myself confused that you were posting in one place you were infected by a "he" and in others looking to date a positive "she".

Now, you've put together an on-line support group for straight men and women who are positive. BUT, if I go by what you've written, then you are bi-sexual. If that is so, what don't you add that category, openly, to your support group site?

There are plenty of other bi-sexual HIV positive folks in the world and if you're among them, why not welcome others in?

If you're not, then why are all of your posts so muddled?

Thank you.
Em

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 03:03:44 pm »
Why is the group indicate that it's for straight men and women if everyone is welcomed?  How generous to indicate that we queers are welcomed as an after thought.

I believe he means everyone who's straight. Yes, JT?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 03:07:20 pm »
I believe he means everyone who's straight. Yes, JT?

I clicked on his support group link and it says we are all welcome regardless of sexual orientation.  I'm just too dang confused and I've not had a glass of wine to muddle through it all.  I'm also not sure of his/her gender and sexual orientation.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 03:12:06 pm »
I clicked on his support group link and it says we are all welcome regardless of sexual orientation.  I'm just too dang confused and I've not had a glass of wine to muddle through it all.  I'm also not sure of his/her gender and sexual orientation.

Ah thanks, Wolfie. I opted not to look too closely as he's not in my geographic range. He's posting in the Women's forum now which is a no-no.

Offline jtgymguy

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2012, 03:14:43 pm »
There is no groups for straight people

however Its a HIV support group, everyone who has HIV is welcome..period

I posted in living w/ hiv general, spanish and women just because its a support group and it those forums are all emcompassing.

No one should be turned away

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 03:19:12 pm »
As a moderator will soon straighten you out by weeding your welcoming post in Positive Women -- YOU, as a male, are NOT permitted to post there.

Further, you're confusing a batch of us as to who you are and what you're about. I would not ever join your support group if I lived in DFW because you have been so transparent about the goal being to meet poz women or men or both that I've begun to wonder in your non-informative batch of posts to date whether or not you are positive.

I'm being honest with you. Things are so not adding up that this causes me to go into German Shepherd mode. Don't mind being proven wrong, but when it smells wrong, reads wrong, etc. I can't help but call it as I see it. In a word -- CONFUSING!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:07:38 pm by emeraldize »

Offline jtgymguy

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2012, 04:07:01 pm »
Haha im not looking for romance
Just friends thats why i didnt say im looking or a man or women
Cmon people

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 04:09:37 pm »
So can you tell us a little more about yourself, it's always best to be honest if you are looking for friends, I have to agree with Em your post was rather confusing.

Haha im not looking for romance
Just friends thats why i didnt say im looking or a man or women
Cmon people

Some people like to know who they are making friends with, a male or a female.

Jan
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:12:49 pm by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 04:11:27 pm »
On August 17th, you wrote the following: "What are ways i can meet woman. I think its gonna be hard to find a hiv - who would want to be exposed to hiv"

Several of us are confused. Can you see why?

So the next logical question to the above is how hard have you tried to find a negative female, male or both? And not just for friendship as the word "exposed" indicates sexual intent.

Muchos gracias.

Offline jtgymguy

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2012, 04:32:45 pm »
I think you guy are reflecting your stories on me

When i posted that i had not dated since i was diagnozed
So i was just starting to date
So yes i had questions .. Notice nothing i my post said i wanted to hook up w anyone
I want to find a wife and have kids
And now i am posting for a support group that i created for people in my situation

Cmon people
You are telling me you guys didnt go through the stage after diagnozis where you wondered who will have me?
And do you guys go to support groups as a place for hook ups?
I dont.. I want to meet other people who share my experiences and talk about things i cant w my friends who thank god dont have hiv

Please dont assume my posts are about sex
Frankly i find that insulting

Offline jtgymguy

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2012, 04:35:39 pm »
Oh and im sorry
I thought my profile shiwed all my info?
Male from tx 28yrs old

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 04:38:03 pm »

Some people like to know who they are making friends with, a male or a female.

I think he's a guy because if you pull his username apart, it reads as jt gym guy - guy being the operative word.... I think.

I'm also a bit mystified - he's billing his Yahoo group as a straight support group, (StraightPozDFW) but then he says "everyone is welcome regardless or [sic] sexual orientation, race or religion". Which is it? Colour me confuzzled too.

JT - I removed your thread from the Women's forum as well as the Spanish forum. Posting the same thread in multiple forums is considered spam and is not good netiquette. Also, you aren't permitted to post in the Women's forum regardless of what you might want to post about.

Ann

PS - jt, you posted your two posts above while I was busy deleting your extra threads and writing my own.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 04:39:46 pm by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline wolfter

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 04:38:46 pm »
Is this support group going to meet in person?  Otherwise, your group would serve the same purpose as this site.

Offline jtgymguy

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 04:44:56 pm »
Wolfter
Why do you think the group says dfw?
Ofcourse!
Id like to organize a small group and meet and talk
The first group i went to claimed o be private in a church but the entire congregation was there so i want something were we can meet possibly in an agreed place and all gather and talk

I found a group here in Dallas that gathered but they stopped meeting
Id like to do that again

Ann
Gay websites for hiv people welcome straights
So why shouldnt my group do the same? Its for straights but welcomes everyone

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 05:34:48 pm »
Hey JT

No insults were intended -- you used the word 'exposed', you posted in the women's forum and you shared you were infected by a man (the latter of which is no big deal at all until you start focusing on advertising a support group for straight people)

I think Wolfie's question was a good one. In terms of online support (and as we now learn 'friends') there's plenty of that here. In a large city like DFW, I find it hard to believe that one doesn't already exist and if not, then go through the largest ASO and start it there.

MOST people wouldn't start what's supposed to be a support group online with a stranger and then meet up with them at a church, coffee shop or whatever. Well, most women, for sure. HOWEVER, if there was an ASO or CBO that had essentially vetted it, and social workers and others could attest to its legitimacy, then it would have some street cred. More so, if they were sponsoring it which is what I would do were I you. PARTNER with an existing group.

Oh, and your statement about our stories reflecting on you -- I think I get what you're trying to say. Nope, that's not it at all. Your word choices have been unclear and now you've posted in error and to a degree, run counter to precisely what's offered here. Support.

That's supportive feedback, JT.

Ann was giving you good feedback. If you want it to be a straights only group, save everyone time and be specific. That seems to be your focus and typically there are few of the type and the support groups.

Make sense?

BTW - You're saying none of the following offer support groups for straight people?
AIDS Arms, Inc.
219 Sunset Avenue, Suite #116-A, Dallas, Texas 75208
Tel: (214) 521-5191
Fax: (214) 528-5879
www.aidsarms.org
Bryan's House
5940 Forest Park Road, Dallas, Texas 75235-6406
Tel: (214) 559-3946
www.bryanshouse.org
Parkland Health & Hospital System- Outpatient HIV Services
5201 Harry Hines Blvd, Dallas, Texas 75235-7708
Tel: (214) 590-8000
www.parklandhospital.com
Contact tel: (214) 590-4551
Welcome House, Inc.
4202 South Lancaster Road, Dallas, Texas 75216
Tel: (214) 421-3948
www.thewelcomehouse.org

AIDS Outreach Center
400 North Beach Street, Fort Worth, Texas 76111
Tel: (817) 335-1994
www.aoc.org
Preventive Medicine Clinic, Tarrant County
1101 South Main, Suite 1500 C, Fort Worth, Texas 76104
Tel: (817) 321-4808
www.tarrantcounty.com/ehealth
Tel: (817) 321-4813
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 05:41:15 pm by emeraldize »

Offline jtgymguy

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 05:44:05 pm »
Its definetly not supportive feed back. Who said i was going to meet one on one w anyone from the group?
We would all talk online and eventually start scheduling groups
I AM SOOO SORRY OR MY FOLLOWING COMMENT
AND I SAY IT AGAIN!!
But i have met guys from here who were very helpful but so NEGATIVE and DISTRUSTFUL

I am positive because i got sick in an era of great medical advances where as older people w HIV dont even want to discuss the prospect of a cure

And distrustful because they say they have been taken advantage on poz siteS

I am only looking to create a group and OFCOURSE i wouldnt just meet point blank w anyone myself

Geesh

Every post ive put on here has been met w criticism and suspicion
I would strongly suggest you guys take a long hard look i the mirror every thing youve accused me off was just either a figment of your imagination or a past experience youve had

Its truly sad because i see you guys are the MODERATORS!

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 05:53:31 pm »
Hey, couching with phrases such as not wanting to offend, but wishing to reveal the truth seem to ultimately rattle you rather than be perceived in the way intended.

If you read your own posts, carefully, you will see what has confused, and continues to confuse those of us communicating with you.

And if "guys" are more helpful to you than women, well, good luck forming your well-rounded, two-sex support group -- because observe how you regard the simplest of inquiries to figure out what you are writing let alone intending.

Start with your posts, go slowly, and perhaps you'll see what we see.

I now have my answers.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 05:57:51 pm »
I think he's a guy because if you pull his username apart, it reads as jt gym guy - guy being the operative word.... I think.

Doh!!...I'm new to all this.. ;D

Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 06:05:32 pm »
BTW, JT, I think you misread one of my earlier posts. You've only received a post from one moderator and that is Ann.

One of my posts began "As a moderator..." but the construct of the sentence would have been clearer had I used "Since a moderator..." as I forewarned you one would move your post from PW.

Sorry to have confused you.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 06:10:22 pm »
I am positive because i got sick in an era of great medical advances where as older people w HIV dont even want to discuss the prospect of a cure

One other item, last I'll ask about.

You are positive BECAUSE you got sick in an era of great medical advances?  Huh?

And are you kidding that people who've lugged around the HIV for decades aren't interested in discussing a cure? Surely you cannot be serious. Whom do you think a doctor would give it to first young man -- one of our long-term survivors, or you?  Bank on it, "the older people" who've discussed a lot more and read a lot more than you have.

Spend some time looking through this site. You're going to need source material for your support group anyway.

Offline jtgymguy

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 06:44:53 pm »
Im talking about MY experience and every older person w HIV has told me that
They seem upset that i believe the cure is near but that wont dissuade me

And yes an era of great advances!
Stem cell is a new advance and from what i keep reading i the past yr somce ive been diagnosed scientists continuously find new weaknesses in the virus

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2012, 11:13:49 am »
Hi Jt . I'm responding to this thread as an older HIV positive guy who has been poz for a very long time . I don't mind discussing a cure for HIV but I think its very important to remember in the absence of a cure the benefits of focusing on living a healthy full life despite having HIV is something better not ignored .

I want to offer a bit of advice to you , since you are rather new to living with HIV I think that finding an established support group with experienced moderators would benefit you more than starting one of your own . Please consider this thought , owning a car doesn't make you a mechanic .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline jtgymguy

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 06:42:17 am »
Im not pretending to be a psychologist but id definetly rather go to a place where people wont judge me the way ive been judged here
And id want a support group in my demographic

Seems to me unless you say im gay & hiv poz then your not allowed to post

Very sad

That said i will cancel my profile here

Something positive was turned into a negative and i frankly find that disgusting

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 07:29:04 am »

Seems to me unless you say im gay & hiv poz then your not allowed to post

Very sad

That said i will cancel my profile here

Something positive was turned into a negative and i frankly find that disgusting

jt, nobody said or even inferred that unless you're gay, you're not permitted to post. (But you do have to be poz to post in the Living forum.) People just wanted some clarification as to what, exactly, you were wanting to do with your support group as it wasn't clear on your support group's main page.

However, if you wish to feel disgusted, that's your prerogative. Have at it.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.