Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:20:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 224
Total: 225

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Superinfection! Is it real and what causes it?  (Read 78661 times)

Offline Grinch

Re: Superinfection! Is it real and what causes it?
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2007, 12:12:45 pm »
I'm of the opinion the whole argument stems from the question: What is a super-infection?
I understand that people want to hear: "It's ok to bareback someone thats HIV+"
The argument is always "There are no real documented cases of Super-infection"

Newt I kinda like your definition. 
People will always hear what they want to hear, and refuse to hear what they don't want to hear.
Bottom line is no one wants to hear adding a different mutation into the mix can be bad.

Maybe someone should coin the phrase "Mutated-Infection" or even, Additional - infection.
I personally don't believe a super-infection is some ultra resistant mutation.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2007, 12:26:54 pm »
Forget Keisha, where is SD Girl, Aidsmeds own reigning queen of mean.  I suspect she might be flying on her broom somewhere over San Diego as we speak, or should I say, type.

She is always good at chewing someone a new one whenever that person stands up against the group think so prevalent on this website. 

Some of you sound like a bunch of trash talking seventh grade girls, trying to sound so hard core, when in fact you are merely insecure children hiding from your own boogeymen.

I love when the crew of Aupoint and Silly Philly strap on board.  You girls don't have a lot going on in your personal life do you, that is, to have so much time to troll this website.  Many of us are growing bored with your rantings.

SDGirl is NOT the queen of mean and please take care not to attack her or anyone on this site.  I admittedly have no powers to do anything about it but I do know SD girl and she is an extremely beautiful person inside and out.  She stands up for what she believes in as do others.  I for one would LOVE to have her back and she is slowly getting there, for those of you in the know, she has a new blog up.  I got your back SD, get your ass back here!  Also Koi and Scott, please remember....

« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 12:47:42 pm by ACinKC »
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2007, 12:33:30 pm »
Again, it's a question of statistics and probabilities, but the result of "super-infection" would be the same:  you acquire and persist virus with a genetic profile different from the bugs you have.  The only way that happens is if the new bugs are resistant to meds you are taking.

While sensational alarms over "super-virus" have caused many to be suspicious of super-infection claims, I would venture that treatment failures over the last ten years have been more due to super-infection, rather than the course of a subject's own bugs.  That a clinician would not not think this to be the case suggests that s/he has either not seen treatment failures or thought much about the sex lives of the people s/he treats.

So, my questions are as follows.

If one has contracted two strains of HIV that are both not resistant to any meds, is that still super-infection?

And is contracting just one strain of resistant HIV as bad or worse as contracting two that aren't resistant?
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2007, 12:44:07 pm »
So, my questions are as follows.

If one has contracted two strains of HIV that are both not resistant to any meds, is that still super-infection?

And is contracting just one strain of resistant HIV as bad or worse as contracting two that aren't resistant?

1.  Yes. though the concern from a treatment perspective for any disease is drug resistance.

2.  Yes, because you have lost at least one class of weapons agains the virus...assuming the non-resiistant strains are not endowed with super powers that let them avoid any attempts at extermination with or without drugs.  Virus that can bend time and space is a real bitch to deal with, and so is the stuff spliced with Dalek DNA!
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2007, 12:52:18 pm »
1.  Yes. though the concern from a treatment perspective for any disease is drug resistance.

2.  Yes, because you have lost at least one class of weapons agains the virus...assuming the non-resiistant strains are not endowed with super powers that let them avoid any attempts at extermination with or without drugs.  Virus that can bend time and space is a real bitch to deal with, and so is the stuff spliced with Dalek DNA!

Stupid flux-capacitor equipped virus!

OK... so if someone is hypothetically infected with two non-resistant strains of HIV... what's so bad about that?

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2007, 12:53:31 pm »
I have been thinking...if you have unprotected sex with an HIV partner and you are both undetectable and on the same meds...and still get reinfected....That means that the virus you have passed to or received from your partner is resistant to those meds you are both taking. If not, it would have been totally suppressed or weakended and unable to cause reinfection. In that case you would have a new strain resistant to the meds you are taking and therefore less treatment options. Isn´t it?
My Dr. warned me about reinfection.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2007, 12:56:11 pm »
I would think that if one were to have 2 non resistent viruses that they could mutate differently at diff times.  I would think that would be a BITCH to control.

Imagine having one red headed step child.....now add a second.  Body surely would lose (notice the spelling of lose not LOOSE, sorry just a pet peeve) this battle quicker than if it was just taking on one at a time.
RIDE!!!

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2007, 12:57:29 pm »
Again, it's a question of statistics and probabilities, but the result of "super-infection" would be the same:  you acquire and persist virus with a genetic profile different from the bugs you have.  The only way that happens is if the new bugs are resistant to meds you are taking.

Well not quite I think.

For one, possibly, most of the treatment failures over the last 10 years have been because the understanding of the importance of resistance and adherence was poor back in the 1990s, or monotherapy, sub-triple therapy etc led to resistance that compromised treatment, rather than acquired secondary infection. Yes? No? Possible? possible...

For two, everyone's HIV is a mix to start and the balance, well it can change, does change, and careful analysis shows this is at least as likely if not more likely, or indeed the provable, actual cause of sudden viraemia and immune decline rather than bonus bugs from barebacking.

I  do not say reinfection can't happen, or more importantly, reinfection with a new type of HIV that affects your treatment/health can't happen, but people who present it as a real and present danger without qualifying this in terms of viral load, regular v irregular partner, anal v vaginal sex, treatment v no treatment,  age of HIV infection etc, are basically fudging a real explanation (by lying to their patients usually) of the risk. Or lack of it.

Same HIV subtype, same resistance profile, same treatment history = zero risk. It seems possible you can find this out about your number 1 man/woman but perhaps not in a steam room.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline newt

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2007, 01:00:40 pm »
I have been thinking...if you have unprotected sex with an HIV partner and you are both undetectable and on the same meds...and still get reinfected....That means that the virus you have passed to or received from your partner is resistant to those meds you are both taking. If not, it would have been totally suppressed or weakended and unable to cause reinfection. In that case you would have a new strain resistant to the meds you are taking and therefore less treatment options. Isn´t it?
My Dr. warned me about reinfection.

That's just dumb! If you're both on the same meds and undetectable you can't create a resistant strain to pass on out of thin air......   

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2007, 01:02:19 pm »
"super-infection" means infection over the top of the original one(s), not resistant or stronger, like super-structure (not super-size...).

I just got a really funny mental image... of a fast food McAIDS restaurant....

"I'll have the HIV... and I'd like to super-size it."

"Super-infection" is a bit misleading... it's like an infection... only super?  Is there "Super-Duper Infection?"

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2007, 01:04:44 pm »
Well, clearly this topic is controversial.   I've learned a lot already and I see all the usual drama queens and attention whores couldn't even derail the discussion.

I think the fact that all of us have different views on this is interesting.   Even down to different definitions.   Perhaps I should have titled the thread differently, but I know we've all heard this term tossed around a lot.

With all of the information I've read so far I think it would be interesting if we could have some couples weigh in on the situation?

Seems to me that this whole superinfection topic covers a broad range of issues and concerns.  

Minus the bitchfest, I've learned a lot.  
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2007, 01:05:48 pm »

Please excuse this off-topic post...

Correction,

William and Mary is ranked among regional schools not national schools.  Regional schools represent the educational minor league, whereas nationally ranked schools represent the educational major league.  Nuance, my friend, nuance.

Literacy, my friend, literacy.  The link provided http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/college/rankings/brief/t1natudoc_brief.php) is to U.S. News TOP NATIONAL UNIVERSITIES, not regional:

"National Universities: Top Schools

1.    Princeton University(NJ)

31.    College of William and Mary(VA) *"

If you're going to correct someone you should at least check his source before you make another factual error.

Boo 

String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2007, 01:06:11 pm »
Why not? I think it is unlikely to pass a strain to another person if you are undetectable, but if you do pass it it might be because those few virons have mutated and are the adan and eve of a new strain that is developing in the host before the host is showing evident signs of resistance by an increased viral load. Maybe I am developing today a resistant starin and I am still undetectable but can pass it to my partner...before knowing I have it.
I think the onnly concer about reinfection is acquiring a resistant strain. I you have 200 different strains abut all of them have no resistance to meds, there is nothing to worry about.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 01:09:27 pm by blondbeauty »
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2007, 01:10:33 pm »
Why not? I think it is unlikely to pass a strain to another person if you are undetectable, but if you do pass it it might be because those few virons have mutated and are the adan and eve of a new strain that is developing in the host before the host is showing evident signs of resistance by an increased viral load. Maybe I am developing today a resistant starin and I am still undetectable but can pass it to my partner...before knowing I have it.

But wouldn't that strain have to be present enough in your body for you to be infectious?  And furthermore... having HIV antibodies already provides HIV+ people with a certain level of protection from new infections.

I'm getting the feeling that this is a really theoretical discussion... super-infection has happened... but shouldn't it be happening more if it's so easy to get? 

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2007, 01:13:52 pm »
Maybe...but HIv is not so easy to pass and look were we are today. We have got it and most of the people don´t. maybe if we made a study of how many people have unpriotected sex and how many get HIV we would also say it is an infection unlikely to happen.

Offline redhotmuslbear

« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2007, 01:16:05 pm »

Same HIV subtype, same resistance profile, same treatment history = zero risk.

Only if both treatments are working and containing the virus such that no further mutations are lurking in the shared body fluid, not the blood.  Personally, I find negotiating a condom based on other STIs much easier than sequencing virus genes when I hook up with anyone.
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2007, 01:16:29 pm »
I would have unprotected sex with my partner if we are both HIV+, undetectable and in a monogamous relationship. But I would not recommend it

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2007, 01:18:12 pm »
Maybe...but HIv is not so easy to pass and look were we are today. We have got it and most of the people don´t. maybe if we made a study of how many people have unpriotected sex and how many get HIV we would also say it is an infection unlikely to happen.

Right... I mean... exposure doesn't equal infection necessarily. 

I'm wondering if there are too many variables in this for anyone to speak authoritatively on it.  I mean, two people.  Are the poz?  Are they on meds?  Is anyone's virus resistant?  How contagious are each of them?  How susceptible are they to picking up another strain?  How well are their immune systems functioning?

A lot of these things can change from day to day or hour to hour...

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2007, 01:20:47 pm »
Only if both treatments are working and containing the virus such that no further mutations are lurking in the shared body fluid, not the blood.  Personally, I find negotiating a condom based on other STIs much easier than sequencing virus genes when I hook up with anyone.

I brought a picture of MY HIV to see if it matches YOUR HIV!  Does yours look like THIS?

RIDE!!!

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2007, 01:21:14 pm »
Only if both treatments are working and containing the virus such that no further mutations are lurking in the shared body fluid, not the blood.  Personally, I find negotiating a condom based on other STIs much easier than sequencing virus genes when I hook up with anyone.

Ultimately, I think you're right.

What's easier?  Putting on a condom or pulling out a DNA sequencer?

"OK... you've got a mutation at K103N... so..."

By that point, the guy you took home the night before is cooking you lunch.

However, if in a monogamous relationship with another poz guy... I wouldn't use protection.  But I wouldn't say to other people "you'll be fine" either.

Offline redhotmuslbear

« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2007, 01:28:19 pm »
I brought a picture of MY HIV to see if it matches YOUR HIV!  Does yours look like THIS?

No.  Mine is longer, thicker and uncut!   :P

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2007, 01:31:50 pm »

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2007, 01:32:06 pm »
I would have unprotected sex with my partner if we are both HIV+, undetectable and in a monogamous relationship. But I would not recommend it

I think this is one of the most honest statements I've read throughout this thread.

Who knows about that HIV prevention pill hyped up by the media last year?????   I found one link to a similar case study:

http://www.thebody.com/cdc/news_updates_archive/2006/may5_06/prep.html

If I recall correctly they were pushing some existing HIV med that was supposed to prevent a partner from getting HIV.  The reason I remember it is because at the time I was involved with my negative partner and we'd discussed it if it became an option.  Anyways, this pill was like 600/month and I'm not certain, but I thought it was on the market now???

It would seem to me that if they are using some HIV med as a prevention pill then most HIV meds must be acting as a sort of blocker?

Clearly, I see a bigger risk for me (not on meds) with a partner (on meds).  

Anyways, I'd be curious to hear more on this aspect.  

Offline Londonguy

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2007, 01:32:45 pm »
if someone picked up a second strain, would it show up in the resistance tests or is there a specific test you need to do for it?

Offline scotttt

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2007, 01:34:41 pm »
Boo,

U.S. News has different categories for ranking schools.  The ranking among Nationally ranked schools represents the "big leage" of higher education.  Local and regional schools are the "lminor leagues" of education.  If you look up the 2007 U.S. News ranking of nationally ranked schools you will see that WIlliam and Mary is not present among the top nationally ranked schools.  That is the only ranking that really matters, just as the major league in baseball is the only league that really matters.  Sure U.S. News throws a bone to smaller less significant schools, but schools such as Harvard, Yale, Stanford and all of the U.C. schools are listed among the major league or nationally ranked schools.  Some people in your local region might be impressed by a local school, but in the big city blue states such as California and New York, only nationally ranked schools has the chachet needed to truly impress people.  Sorry , that is just how it is.

It demonstrates what a small town girl Aupoint is by being impressed with such unimpressive credentials.  It shows your inabiility to distinguish between minor educational institutional rankings and nationally ranked educational institutions.  Your inability to comprehend this is funny, I thiink.  Go back and look at the list of U.S. News Nationally ranks schools, not the local or regionally ranked schools.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 01:37:00 pm by scotttt »

Offline redhotmuslbear

« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2007, 01:38:56 pm »
What's easier?  Putting on a condom or pulling out a DNA sequencer?

"OK... you've got a mutation at K103N... so..."

By that point, the guy you took home the night before is cooking you lunch.

However, if in a monogamous relationship with another poz guy... I wouldn't use protection.  But I wouldn't say to other people "you'll be fine" either.

1.  I am an alumnus of Rice, so the DNA sequencing is only a smidge more taxing. .....damn, what the joke about an Aggie putting on a condom?

2a.  Lunch???!!  Brunch!  And I'd be the one cooking while he's scheming ways to knock off my partner.

3.  How do we expect to be credible if we don't walk our talk?  Actions speak louder than words.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2007, 01:40:42 pm »
if someone picked up a second strain, would it show up in the resistance tests or is there a specific test you need to do for it?

I think it would show up on the resistance tests.

From what I understand, each strain has a fairly unique genetic profile... but I don't know if, let's say you did pick up a second strain, both profiles (hidden mutations and resistance mutations) would show up as one single profile or as two separate ones. 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2007, 01:44:19 pm »
Once again who starts with the personal attacks? "You never stop do you?" LOL

And by the way a lot of us are sick of your tweeked out nonesensical rambling. Post when you're sober!!!

Knock it off biotch!

If that wasn't the most cognitive dissonant hypocritical self-admitted Sustiva demented posting I've seen from you then I don't know how worse it can get. 

Perhaps you should consider a break from the internet if you can't behave in a civil manner... or better yet go and invent another "Keisha" persona.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2007, 01:44:41 pm »
How do we expect to be credible if we don't walk our talk?  Actions speak louder than words.

I'm not sure as to what level of credibility I'd be attempting to prove.  I would still acknowledge that I very well might be playing with fire.

I would know it's risky... but it would still be my choice... I wouldn't try to convert other poz people in seroconcordant relationships to do the same. 

Offline newt

« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2007, 01:46:43 pm »
There is a good summary of the science on Medscape: HIV Superinfection: What Clinicians and Patients Should Know.

The British HIV Association has new guidelines on sexual health for HIV+ people, also have a long section on it (with references), alas a PDF.

Resistance tests look for mutations in a general mixed up viral population.  They can't tell if it's an acquired mutuation or one that's come from drug pressure etc, change in viral mix etc.  There are tests to do this but they are very complex, lab stuff, not really clinic tests.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 06:31:43 am by newt »

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2007, 01:47:11 pm »
Oh my..

Now girls, please behave. Especially you Aupo.

Al
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline newt

« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2007, 01:49:12 pm »
On a more human level note, no-one I know in a positive-positive relationship uses condoms (except to prevent babies), and neither do I, regardless of treatment/no treamtment.  Quite a few are on the same treatment by design.  NB: relationship, not steam room.

-matt

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2007, 01:52:19 pm »
There is a good summary of the science on Medscape: HIV Superinfection: What Clinicians and Patients Should Know - you have to register to read it (but it's secretly reprinted here).

The British HIV Association has new guidelines on sexual health for HIV+ people, also have a long section on it (with references), alas a PDF.

Resistance tests look for mutations in a general mixed up viral population.  They can't tell if it's an acquired mutuation or one that's come from drug pressure etc, change in viral mix etc.  There are tests to do this but they are very complex, lab stuff, not really clinic tests.

So, theoretically, one could be infected with eighteen or so strains, and if none of them are resistant to any medications... no one would really be able to tell if you're infected with however many strains you have?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2007, 01:55:27 pm »
(Benji's Pearl necklaces of wisdom)Once again who starts with the personal attacks? "You never stop do you?" LOL

You *DO* basically realize that you are a liar, don't you?  And you don't even hide it well in separate postings, so therefore I must conclude that other than a liar you're also a moron.

Why request a civil tone and then insult someone in the same post?  Boggles the mind.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 02:04:04 pm by philly267 »

Offline dixieman

« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2007, 01:56:07 pm »
Everyone makes a good point but, unfortunately is it worth the risK? A friend of mine who lived in NYC recently passed away from some horrible complications... he had contracted I think numerous diseases... KS... which disfigured his face, body etc... he contracted herpes... hpv... and had gonorrhea on more than one occassion... Note... herpes once contracted is with you for life... same as hpv... although treatable ...their not curable...so screw the Bare backing... also he contracted hep A-B... so I think the best scenerio is to practice safe as possible... Everyone on this forum did not practice safe sex at one time or another to contract hiv so why would anyone risk more exposure... even if its a small possibility?

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2007, 01:58:02 pm »
Oh my..

Now girls, please behave. Especially you Aupo.

Al

Aupo, (which sounds alot like Alpo so maybe he is kibble and bits for the gay men!) has been EXTREMELY restrained in this thread and I for one am proud of him for it.  It has been Koi and his partner Scott instigating at every turn.  (Boo has kept the embers burning occaisonally as well!)  These two have added NOTHING to this thread and offer little much to the forum as a whole.  I am sorry to veer off topic but Scott just did it again and man its got my panties in a bunch.  I hope the mods take note to scott and koi (although he has stopped for a bit) and have a little chat with them.  I am not for giving time outs as I genereally like everyones opinion on things, but they do need to be addressed.  

Off the soap box and with apologies to all others posting on the real discussion.  I'd LOVE to experience unprotected sex again!  One of you hotties call my wife and set it up will ya!?!?!?!?!  (edited to also say after reading Dixieman's post you fuckers better bring your STD panel ALL CLEAR with you as well!!!)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 01:59:37 pm by ACinKC »
RIDE!!!

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2007, 01:59:59 pm »
Aupo, (which sounds alot like Alpo so maybe he is kibble and bits for the gay men!) has been EXTREMELY restrained in this thread and I for one am proud of him for it.  It has been Koi and his partner Scott instigating at every turn.  (Boo has kept the embers burning occaisonally as well!)  These two have added NOTHING to this thread and offer little much to the forum as a whole.  I am sorry to veer off topic but Scott just did it again and man its got my panties in a bunch.  I hope the mods take note to scott and koi (although he has stopped for a bit) and have a little chat with them.  I am not for giving time outs as I genereally like everyones opinion on things, but they do need to be addressed.  

Off the soap box and with apologies to all others posting on the real discussion.  I'd LOVE to experience unprotected sex again!  One of you hotties call my wife and set it up will ya!?!?!?!?!

ACinKC, I was kididng about especially Aupo. Aupo has a sense of humor, just read all the replies and threads he has posted.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2007, 02:00:39 pm »
Everyone makes a good point but, unfortunately is it worth the risK? A friend of mine who lived in NYC recently passed away from some horrible complications... he had contracted I think numerous diseases... KS... which disfigured his face, body etc... he contracted herpes... hpv... and had gonorrhea on more than one occassion... Note... herpes once contracted is with you for life... same as hpv... although treatable ...their not curable...so screw the Bare backing... also he contracted hep A-B... so I think the best scenerio is to practice safe as possible... Everyone on this forum did not practice safe sex at one time or another to contract hiv so why would anyone risk more exposure... even if its a small possibility?

Right... which is why I use protection... except for in the case of a monogamous relationship with a poz guy.

Other STDs can't help... any especially now being poz, I think picking up a dose of the clap would be a bit beneath me.   ;)

But condoms aren't all that useful in preventing transmission of herpes and HPV.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2007, 02:00:51 pm »
DAMNIT and I am SOOOO good at detecting Sarcasm!  Oh well....
RIDE!!!

Offline Ihavehope

« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2007, 02:02:52 pm »
mmmm. ACinKC is sexy when he gets mad.. mmm..

Offline Boo Radley

• Not a "real man" and damn proud, mithter... FAB
    • Animal Rescue New Orleans
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2007, 02:04:04 pm »
...  It has been Koi and his partner Scott instigating at every turn.  (Boo has kept the embers burning occaisonally as well!) 

AC, you're absolutely right (especially in regard to aupoint's refusal to stoop to their level).   I apologize, and I moved the "off-topic debate" to Off Topic, which I should have done initially:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=8875.0

Boo
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 02:11:38 pm by Boo Radley »
String up every aristocrat!
Out with the priests and let them live on their fat!

Everything I do, say, think, excrete, secrete, exude, ooze, or write © 2007 Sweet Old Boo, Inc.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2007, 02:04:36 pm »
mmmm. ACinKC is sexy when he gets mad.. mmm..

I'm sexy all the time!  All the boys and girls want me!!  :-* ::)
RIDE!!!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2007, 02:10:03 pm »
It has been Koi and his partner Scott instigating at every turn.

And it's not the first time.

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2007, 02:13:32 pm »
I don't care to practice safer sex with someone else positive, because I flat out don't care about any possible risk because that supposed risk is virtually non-existant.   Can it happen?  Yes, but I can also get hit by a meteorite.  

On the scale of risk, it's nowhere near risky.   It's fear and those badgers, typically the newbies here, don't really understand nor do they seem to want to since they are coming from a perspective of trauma from being newly infected.   Blah blah blah.   Watching this thread is like being on a Sit & Spin™.   Keeps going round and round but you never get anywhere.

But it is amusing to watch the turdburglars.  

As for schools, William & Mary is a prestigious school and probably alot damn harder to get into than those supposed 'top ten'.  Size does not equate to quality.  

Bush went to Yale didn't he?  Doesn't seem like they are too picky.  ::)

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2007, 02:14:51 pm »
Philly you're not so innocent in this either!  LOL  While I agree with you I should note you have baited them some as well.  Not unjustly but you have!

You know I love ya philly! Mmmmmmmm philly, Im hungry time for a Pepperjax run!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 02:16:35 pm by ACinKC »
RIDE!!!

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2007, 02:16:13 pm »
But it is amusing to watch the turdburglars.  

Ummmm... WOW.  UNCALLED FOR in EVERY way!
RIDE!!!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2007, 02:18:25 pm »

As for schools, William & Mary is a prestigious school and probably alot damn harder to get into than those supposed 'top ten'.  Size does not equate to quality.  

William & Mary, along with University of Virginia, are the most difficult schools to get into in Virginia.  They'd be private schools if Virginia had not had an early progressive attitude towards higher learning stemming from Thomas Jefferson.

And yes, I was accepted to both universities (though I declined and went elsewhere.)

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2007, 02:25:04 pm »

Matt mentioned no one he knows in a pos/pos relationship is using condoms.  Frankly, I don't know any either.  

This poster has come up with a scenario which is what would concern me the most, co infections of other STDs now called STI's or whatever.

For those who are having recreational sex with multiple partners I'd never advocate unsafe sex ever.   I also agree with Aupo on his statement about the issue of Walk the Talk.   Clearly, none of us are advocating unsafe sex, but I think it's an issue those of us already positive wonder about with the various ramifications and then some of these more outlandish theories and new stories.

I'm not gona comment further on the drama queens.   It's usually the same little clique of dysfunctional idiots who ruin every thread and I'd encourage the rest of you to report them to the moderators rather than fueling the fire of lunacy!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 02:31:47 pm by AustinWesley »

Offline newt

« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2007, 02:27:18 pm »
Austin, you said

Clearly, I see a bigger risk for me (not on meds) with a partner (on meds). 

The risks are different.

Not on meds: the risk here is that the person on meds has a resistant strain that goes unnoticed eg by routine monitoring, a giant blip (it would have to be a biggie), bad adherence, a strain in a large enough quantity  transmit, get a foothold and expand. 

On meds: the risk here is that the person not on meds has a strain in a large enough quantity to transmit, get a foothold and expand.

I think the key word here is quantity.  The virus needs to be one that can affect disease progression eg resistant type, and unless it's dominating the "senders" viral population it is already in competition with the dominant strain.  Which is by definition fitter.  So there's a bit a viral war going on for pole position, and getting enough virus up to the pole, and the the question of meds/pre-infection = defense, and all that stuff, plus host factors eg receptivity to infection, route of transmission, coinfections.  So....

It is really hard

(a) to put a decent sized number on the risk eg 1 per 500.  We're talking low %, if not a fraction of a fraction of a %.  As ever, viral load is important, cos more virus = greater risk. There is a point where treated virus becomes "real world" untransmissable, as is witnessed by many studies on transmission in straight couples in Europe and Africa (ie, no transmissions where the person on treatment has a consistently undetectable load).  Gay men in serodiscordant relationships are clearly unworthy of being studied, though (we need a gay men's study please).

(b) say which is the "worse" risk, the risk to someone on meds or off. They's just got different implications. One compromises future treatment perhaps, one current.

- matt

Offline Londonguy

« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2007, 02:45:55 pm »
So, theoretically, one could be infected with eighteen or so strains, and if none of them are resistant to any medications... no one would really be able to tell if you're infected with however many strains you have?

This is what I was wondering.....I mean, are we basically saying that there are a lot of people who could have been superinfected but we don't know because clinic tests can't distinguish between that and natural mutations? 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.