Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:28:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 361
Total: 363

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla vs. Complera  (Read 40382 times)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Atripla vs. Complera
« Reply #50 on: January 23, 2013, 05:43:19 pm »
It's a real shame that the people who complain most about the lack of forum unity are notably absent whenever a discussion on that topic is introduced. It's as if they WANT to feel unhappy, and vilify others instead of contributing in a helpful way to the forums.

Valid point, Jk.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #51 on: January 23, 2013, 06:30:32 pm »
Being an Atripla veteran, and having tried Complera for a time due to some sleep problems, I found that for me the Complera actually caused whole other problems that caused me MAJOR mood changes and depressive thoughts. And it killed my appetite. I was surprised at this, because most think Complera is more benign than Atripla. But as far as my sleep problems, they actually did not improve at all while I was on Complera, I had terrible insomnia on it. So I said fuck it, and went back to Atripla, which is the devil I already knew so to speak. I now am on the brink of totally change regimens, maybe trying a PI, or another combo, just to try and alleviate my sleep problems. But everyone is different, for some, ditching the sustiva in Atripla for Complera might be a good option.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2013, 09:42:02 am »
Ack. I just realised this thread is in the Living forum, instead of the Treatment forum where it belongs. Moved, with apologies for how long it took me to notice. :-\
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Homopoz

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2013, 11:10:13 am »
Can the administrator remove the whole thread of the bitter exchanges? I thought, we are here to support each other. I was hoping to find some info on the message as I am to see my doctor next monday to discuss my treatment but found the quarrel of bitter people.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2013, 11:52:20 am »
Can the administrator remove the whole thread of the bitter exchanges? I thought, we are here to support each other. I was hoping to find some info on the message as I am to see my doctor next monday to discuss my treatment but found the quarrel of bitter people.

There is lots of good information in this thread that many people might find helpful and it would be a real shame to remove it because of some minor differences of opinion .

Its rare a thread is ever removed anyway , especially one you didn't start or participate in . Am I missing something here ?  :(
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 12:13:33 pm by jg1962 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline beentheredoneit

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2013, 11:07:20 am »
Atripla and Complera are the same thing, the only thing I noticed different was some days Complera caused dizziness on top of all the same side effects (dreams, anxiety, feeling down).  I'd say Complera is marginally better when it comes to sleep regimen.  However, they are not much different.

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2013, 08:03:10 pm »
When I tried Complera briefly, I felt like I was having withdrawals form my Atripla, and it made me feel worse, instead of better. I got really tired after the first few days, with terrible nausea and fatigue, and even some depression. One wouldn't think such a regimen so similar as atripla would cause this, but I guess everyone is different. I quit Complera because it gave me awful insomnia. I'm back on atripla now, for the time being. Feel pretty decent.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline newone

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2013, 08:05:40 pm »
I am planning to switch my Atripla regimen to Complera in about 5 weeks time, can you take Complera at different times with meals or is it recommended to take it at the same time everyday?
The only thing I like about Atripla is the possibility of taking the daily dosage at slightly different times and of course the good numbers that I am enjoying at the present time but for sure I wont miss the daily regular 2 hours of dizziness, depression etc etc..
Sustiva, Atripla, Complera, Stribild, Genvoya. Odefsey, Dovato.

Offline Matts

« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2013, 05:22:39 pm »
The FDA has released new  Warnings and Precautions for hepatotoxicity for Eviplera (Complera).
Every HIV Doc got the info, so there will be no problem:)

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ByAudience/ForPatientAdvocates/HIVandAIDSActivities/ucm337007.htm

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 07:43:48 am by Matts »
Dovato

Offline texaninnyc87

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2013, 01:11:21 pm »
My boyfriend takes complera and says he has about a three hour window where he can take it. i think this is the norm with most meds. hope this helps!
Dxd: 9/11/12
Blot confirmed: 11/12
12/12 cd4: 280 (20%) vl: 129,000
1/13 $tribild
2/13 cd4: 350 (26%) vl: 80
4/13 cd4: 510 (29%) vl:: 35
6/13cd4 350 (31%) vl: 21
9/13 cd4 492 (30%) vl: ud
12/13 cd4 846 (36%) vl: 100
1/14 cd4 480 (31%) vl: UD
3/14 cd4 650 (33%) vl: UD
6/14 cd4 410 (35%) vl: UD
9/14 cd4 439 (38%) vl: UD
12/14 cd4 551 (37%) vl: UD

Offline Horizon

• EMBARK, EMBRACE, EXPLORE, EMPOWER, ENJOY
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2013, 04:04:28 pm »
Not judging you. But it would be dismissive and condescending not to point out the elephant in your posts.

Living with HIV is still not a walk in the proverbial park. I suggest you grow a thicker skin as soon as you are able. If you think I'm an asshole then I submit your tenure on this forum will not be the coddling experience you appear to expect. I'm actually one of the nice guys. And with twenty years' experience there might actually be some stuff worth listening to - even, perhaps especially if it makes you defensive and uncomfortable.

I hardly every comment on this site, also because of posts like these. You will be surprised at how many people have stopped interacting on this site because of people like you, and oldies, ganging up on younger people that come here for advise. I think its pathetic that you guys behave this way, and it makes me wonder what pathetic lives your guys live that you get a kick off spending your time on here bashing and judging people that come for advice!

The days of taking 50 pills a day a long gone!!! Taking medication is not as scary as it was back in the days you started taking them. Its a completely different time now and if people want to live a normal life and have wine, then who the hell do you guys think you are to judge people!!

GET A LIFE!!!
Last negative result - September 2007

May 2008- Tested Positive
May 2008 CD4 280 (12%)          VL (unknown)
July 2008 CD4 370  (17%)          VL 9,800
Aug 2008 CD4 330 (17%)           VL10,000
Dec 2008 CD4 350                (Started Atripla)
Aug 2010 CD4 550                 Undetectable
Jan  2011 CD4 520

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2013, 05:21:14 pm »
I hardly every comment on this site, also because of posts like these. You will be surprised at how many people have stopped interacting on this site because of people like you, and oldies, ganging up on younger people that come here for advise. I think its pathetic that you guys behave this way, and it makes me wonder what pathetic lives your guys live that you get a kick off spending your time on here bashing and judging people that come for advice!

The days of taking 50 pills a day a long gone!!! Taking medication is not as scary as it was back in the days you started taking them. Its a completely different time now and if people want to live a normal life and have wine, then who the hell do you guys think you are to judge people!!

GET A LIFE!!!

This is the second time you have taken it upon yourself to come into a thread you didn't even start or contribute too except to offer a snarky comment or contempt for the board .

Do not post in this thread again , and yes this is a warning .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2013, 08:18:59 am »
The days of taking 50 pills a day a long gone!!! Taking medication is not as scary as it was back in the days you started taking them. Its a completely different time now (…)

Not stirring the pot, I swear!

I just wanted to acknowledge this statement. I'm newly (ish) positive. I find the 'harsher' attitudes of some of the 'older' (in HIV terms, not years) people in these forums kind of refreshing, to be honest. Even though I suspect a couple of them don't care for me very much (oops), I love coming here and reading through their advice to people even on threads that I'm not involved in.

I agree 100% that things aren't like they used to be. On another online forum, I was just the other day trying to help (I hope) a newly positive guy understand that even though his CD4 count is below 200, he wasn't about to keel over tomorrow and that I knew of plenty of people who were healthy for years at that level and below. (This guy is on meds and his doctor was involved and not worried about his levels.) My big point was that things are different than they used to be and that we all have a lot of baggage about HIV/AIDS from having lived through the 80s (some of us here) and 90s (most of us here). If you reached that level a long time ago without today's medicines, there were different implications than there are now.

BUT (coming up to my point, sorry long-winded), just because things are different, that doesn't mean we can just ignore the fact that we're HIV positive which has implications on our lives and the lives of people around us. Now, in my case, I practically chose for this to happen, so I can't really in good conscience continue to complain about any difficulties I might have, but I'm kind of surprised at the number people who've told me how easy it is now and how I shouldn't be having any side effects, etc. I push the idea that it's not really a big deal, but I mean that in the sense that it's no bigger a deal than most diseases which require massive amounts of powerful drugs for the rest of your life and are potentially fatal and contagious. ;) I do have an internal consistency. It just lives in the ambiguity of the particular situation. That is: what I say to one person to convince him not to jump off a ledge is not what I might say to another person who's about to push someone off a ledge.

I appreciate the 'old-timers' (lolz) here who smack people upside the head with reality every now and then. I'm incredibly thankful that we have the drugs we have now, and appreciative of the people who suffered so that we could have them, but I think it's a little foolish to act like there are no side effects with modern HAART and like we can do whatever we please now that AIDS is over. I was talking to a guy online recently who wanted to switch to Stribild from Atripla who was completely surprised to learn that he was taking three drugs and that Stribild would be 4. His doctor didn't think it was important to stress this and he learned it from some anonymous dude in a (I'll admit) rather murky neighborhood on the Internet? We don't need to scare people, but it's "a big fucking deal" (insert smiley of your choice). The one-a-day pills are giving a lot of people what I consider a false impression of what it's like to be HIV+. A culture of simplistic laissez-faire has grown up around HIV/AIDS, and I've participated in it myself. We don't have to think about HIV constantly, but it's kind of irresponsible for us to foster or endorse this idea that "AIDS is over".

I really hope I get my shit together soon, because I'd like to be out there doing something on this issue instead of designing the invitations for my pity parties all day. ;)
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline GChastain

« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2013, 06:00:19 am »
I was diagnosed + in November 2012 and started meds last December. First Viramune + Epzicom but I developed severe rash and I switched to Atripla. The First two months I had trouble to sleep and I felt quiet dizzy in the mornings. I also lost weight... but after three months everything is much better, I dont have trouble to sleep anymore, I dont feel dizziness, Im gaining weight again and I never had the vivid dreams.
So overall I feel great. I also believe that keeping a positive attitude is a key point to overcome the side effects and also give time to your body to adjust.
When you search on the internet you find more negative experiences than positive ones... Is important to post the positive experiences, not only the bad ones so I encourage people to please do so. Is tiring to see that is always the same people the ones that are posting comments on every single thread here, and some of them seem quiet bitter to me...

Offline oksikoko

• Writing the congressman again
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2013, 11:02:35 am »
I get tired of people saying things "some of you seem bitter". I'm sure I've done it too, but it's really irritating.

If you think someone is bitter, say it to them, or don't say anything. You're just casting aspersions at no one in particular which makes several people feel bad instead of addressing whatever it is you see as the problem and possibly making the forum better/more useful.

People come here and ask for advice on treatments. Maybe only the people with bad experiences are answering, but i's better than the post just sitting here getting no response. Peopl who answer also have no way of knowing if their response is normal. Yes, I comment on every Stribild post. If I say something wildly inaccurate, I'd love to know it so I won't go around thinking some side effect is normal. You may have a wonderful doctor. Great. Some of us are on our own and need other people here to answer.

If you're upset by other people's answers, I suggest you answer more -  ot ask others to answer less. If it's me you're addressing, please call me by name. I'm not bitter, and I'd like the chance to defend myself when called names. If it's not me, please call whoever it is you're talking to by name and they can ignore you or address you back.

Like a human being instead of an Internet troll.
Code: [Select]
2014-11-14: CD4 Wars Episode II: Return of the Stribild (released in Europe as Stribild II: Werewolf Bitch)
2014-11-06:                ☣ VL (→) 12,627      ☣ CD4 (→) 639
2014-??-??: off treatment  ☣ VL (?)              ☣ CD4 (?)
2013-10-03:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1105
2013-05-23:                ☣ VL (=) undetectable ☣ CD4 (-) 945
2013-02-25:                ☣ VL (-) undetectable ☣ CD4 (+) 1123
2012-12-16: Enter Stribild
2012-11-20: HIV+           ☣ VL (→) 132,683      ☣ CD4 (→) 920
2012-04-01: HIV-
Dates in this signature file conform to ISO 8601. ;-)

If no one complains, nothing will ever change.

Offline newone

« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2013, 01:51:19 pm »
First day on Complera, so far an improvement on Atripla, no foggy 2 hours which in itself it is a huge improvement and no other adverse symptoms (yet)..
Time will tell.

Offline Kevin_Toronto

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2013, 03:11:52 pm »
I am a new user on here and have a similar question about what to expect with the change from atripla to complera. I have had two years of debilitating side effects and my doctor recommended switching to complera.

On a side note, I am a bit disappointed at the responses in this forum. Not to discount the experiences of those of you who paved the way for us "newly infected" individuals, I'm shocked at how off topic people got this thread. The question was rarely addressed. In terms of nights of drinking that end up with occasional missed doses, rather than attack lifestyles, why not work towards finding a solution around the drinking? Perhaps taking your pill before you start drinking? Or maybe keeping your bottle next to your bed?

Offline newone

« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2013, 04:47:56 pm »
Day 5 from switching from Atripla to Complera, so far it is the best thing i have done since starting meds, I hope my cd numbers  (in 10 days time) will match my optimism for my new regime.

Offline frenchie

« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2013, 07:56:19 am »
here is my small experience with atripla and complera (called eviplera here in Europe):

when i started medication my viral load was about 200 000, and atripla was the only single tablet regimen available in my country.

As i had at the beginning a lot of side effects (i was very depressed: just been diagnosed, and my girlfriend who i was supposed to marry, dump me in a very very rude way), i wanted to switch to complera, i took another health insurance in a different country where complera was available and then switch to this one (my viral load at this time was not detectable thanks to atripla).

And the side effects was even worse (i still had insomnia and a lot of stomach problems), i kept complera for a month or two but the side effects didn t go away.

So i went back to atripla and nowadays the only problem i have is sometimes a sleeping disorder, but nothing to bad, so i keep this medication.

As we all have different reaction with medication, I will recommend people who hesitate to try both of them if they can, and see which one suit them the best, my doctor told me there were not risk to switch from one regimen to another if you were not detectable.

About forgetting to take a pill, i have read than atripla stay longer in your body than complera, so maybe it is better to keep this one, specially if you don t have a lot of side effects. And you can still put your pill box next to your pillow, so you won't forget to take them.
 And if you wake up in the middle of the night stressing if you have taken your pill or not, you can check your pill box next to your bed.

Offline newone

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2013, 05:35:14 pm »
Latest results since starting Complera C4-875 u\d
..goodbye Atripla!!

Offline newone

« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2013, 04:55:46 am »
Now a month on Complera the only thing that I have noticed so far it is the feeling of tiredness, lethargy some two hours after taking the pill, I hope (as advised by my Dr) the tiredness will go some months later. 

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2013, 03:21:36 pm »
I swapped from Atripla to Complera a year ago.  Here's my take:

On Atripla I was exhausted pretty much all the time and I always felt mentally rattled.  I was anxious and kind of touchy.  Most of all however I would sleep and wake up feeling as if I hadn't slept at all.  For all of these reason I swapped to Complera.  On Complera my side effects are non existent.  I have trouble eating 400 calories each time I take it (right before bed) but otherwise it's fine.  One thing to note about Complera is that it's threshold for resistance is MUCH lower than Atripla's.  So if someone is saying they are missing doses of Atripla going onto Complera is a terrible idea.

Oh and my completely undetectable viral load has risen to 82-84 in my last two draws which is still "undetecable" but I suppose not as brutally effective as the atripla was in which I never went over UD even once.  However my CD4 is now 275 which is also a marked improvement.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2013, 04:22:28 pm »
I swapped from Atripla to Complera a year ago.  Here's my take:

On Atripla I was exhausted pretty much all the time and I always felt mentally rattled.  I was anxious and kind of touchy.  Most of all however I would sleep and wake up feeling as if I hadn't slept at all.  For all of these reason I swapped to Complera.  On Complera my side effects are non existent.  I have trouble eating 400 calories each time I take it (right before bed) but otherwise it's fine.  One thing to note about Complera is that it's threshold for resistance is MUCH lower than Atripla's.  So if someone is saying they are missing doses of Atripla going onto Complera is a terrible idea.

Oh and my completely undetectable viral load has risen to 82-84 in my last two draws which is still "undetecable" but I suppose not as brutally effective as the atripla was in which I never went over UD even once.  However my CD4 is now 275 which is also a marked improvement.

I also got switched off Atripla and started Complera a while ago.  Pretty much the same for me as far as side effects.  Atripla felt like it was a sledge hammer pounding away at the HIV.  Complera is like a paper weight holding it down.  No side effects but I am concerned about its "strength."

The low level viral load you are experiencing, has your doctor mentioned how he feels about this?  I know under 200 used to be considered ud but it still concerns me.  I think that would spark a long conversation with the doctor.  What did he say about that?

I still haven't gotten a viral load done since starting Complera.  My doctor only does them every six months unless there is some need to do them earlier.  I'm curious to see how it is. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2013, 04:24:41 pm »
I also got switched off Atripla and started Complera a while ago.  Pretty much the same for me as far as side effects.  Atripla felt like it was a sledge hammer pounding away at the HIV.  Complera is like a paper weight holding it down.  No side effects but I am concerned about its "strength."

The low level viral load you are experiencing, has your doctor mentioned how he feels about this?  I know under 200 used to be considered ud but it still concerns me.  I think that would spark a long conversation with the doctor.  What did he say about that?

I still haven't gotten a viral load done since starting Complera.  My doctor only does them every six months unless there is some need to do them earlier.  I'm curious to see how it is.

I was UD for the first draw after starting then 84 and this last time 82.  Doctor is unconcerned and I think in that time CD4 went from 150 to 275 so very happy with that.

Offline newone

« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2013, 06:09:55 pm »
Still happy with Complera, no dizziness, no wind...feeling less tired/lethargic, eating 400 calories is not a problem eating only 400 calories is a problem I usually (to make sure) I probably consume 1000 calories, weird/funny dreams still there but in general it is a huge improvement.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.