Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:54:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 232
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bad reaction to insect bites-HIV related?  (Read 38095 times)

Offline gonzo

Bad reaction to insect bites-HIV related?
« on: June 05, 2010, 04:34:00 am »
The weathers getting nicer, and it seems the insects are out to get me, my body isn't dealing with them the way it use to,
my whole arm and/or leg have swollen up where I've been bit, and the flesh feels very warm almost feverish like, can this be caused by HIV?
Anyone have similar reaction?, any feed back would be appreciated!

Thanks!
gonzo
diagnosed in 1990, current Meds: Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Bad reaction to insect bites-HIV related?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 05:56:43 am »
I don't know if it's strictly HIV related, but it sounds nasty.

If the reaction hasn't subsided soon, you should seek medical attention. Perhaps an anti-histamine will help relieve the pain and swelling.

MtD

Offline averagejoe1977

• Viral Load Warrior: HIV & Me
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 06:10:40 am »
I think this sounds like a general bad reaction to an insect bite -- sounds painful. I'd speak to a doctor about it. Not sure if it is related to HIV, but I do know HIV neg people who have this kind of reaction too.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 11:11:58 am »
I've alway had bad reactions to mosquito bites. I get huge welts and if I have multiple bite the whole area is swollen and warm to the touch. I don't think it is HIV related because It has always been like that.

Actually, now that I think of it, when my CD4 was low I don't remember having as severe of a reaction.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 11:18:00 am »
I have to wear repellent when outdoors because the bugs really go for me for some reason .

I got bit by a tick last week right on my ass , when that happens it takes months to heal and itches like crazy . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 03:35:10 pm »
I got bit by a tick last week right on my ass , when that happens it takes months to heal and itches like crazy . 

This tick, did he buy you a drink? Has he called since?

MtD

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 04:27:35 pm »
This tick, did he buy you a drink? Has he called since?

MtD

No drinks or calls yet . It figures since he likes to hang out with an asshole .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 02:28:59 am »
I was in Florida one time and got bitten all over.  They swelled up the size of silver dollars.  I had never experienced anything like that before.  It scared me.  I'm not sure if the bites were from some weird bug or what.  They went down within a few hours.  This was back before I had HIV. 

Have you moved to an area with new kinds of insects?

Offline gonzo

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 03:07:47 am »
 I've suffered from allergic reactions to meds in the past, but not to insect bites, this is how I react to them now that I'm undetectable, prior when I was a real mess health wise, I never had such severe reactions.
 I guess I worded my thread wrong-maybe I should have written: bad reaction to insect bites hiv reconstitution syndrome related?, or something similar.
The swelling has gone down some, but the itch is driving me crazy especially at night when I'm trying to sleep, and I didn't get good sleep to begin with, now the lack of sleep is making me a real cranky s-o-b!
 Sorry for ranting...

tednlou2: the thing is, the whole arm/ or leg is swollen, not just at the bite site, and no I haven't moved anywhere, the last reaction I had like this took almost a week for my arm to go back to normal, and stop itching.
MtD: I've tried Benadryl anti-itch spray that helps for about an hour or so, going to buy the pills later today.
jg1962 & GSOgymrat: what do you guys use to help alleviate the problem?
averagejoe1977:am going to make an appt with derm, but he's usually booked, so by the time he does see me, I'm not going to look like this, but hopefully he can shed some light as to why suddenly I'm an insect magnet.

Thanks for your input guys!

« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 03:44:58 am by gonzo »

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 03:23:08 am »
Hey Gonz,

Perhaps you need the tablet/liquid version of Benadryl? It will make you drowsy but it should give you relief for more than an hour or so.

MtD

Offline Nashvegas

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 07:42:13 am »
Hey Gonzo --

Just make very, very sure that you don't have a staff infection. 

A couple of years before I became poz, I had what I thought was a spider bite on my leg (it was January, and nothing else seemed the likely culprit).  It started out just as a little bite mark, and then continued to swell.  The area around the "bite" got very warm and hard, and very painful, and I started having a very high temperature.  A trip to the emergency room the next day revealed that what I had was not, in fact, an insect bite at all but rather was a staff infection.  (It may have started out with a bite or a scratch, but then it took on a life of its own).  I ended up on IV antibiotics for the next 11 days (while my condition improved somewhat but did not resolve) before my doctor did a culture and discovered that I had a methicillin- resistant staph infection (MRSA), which meant that I had been treated with the wrong antibiotics all along.  It took several weeks of taking the correct high-powered antibiotics before I fully recovered. 

Anyway, your comment that the flesh around your bites was very swollen and warm and feverish set off major alarms for me.  If your condition has not improved since you first posted this topic, go to en emergency room immediately to get checked out and make sure it's not staph.  A staph infection is nothing to mess around with -- it literally can kill you.  Don't wait until tomorrow to go to your doctor. 

If, on the other hand, your swelling has gone down, it's probably not MRSA, because MRSA doesn't easily resolve on its own without strong antibiotics. 

Let us know how you're doing. 
8/12/06 - sero-conversion
9/14/06 -- Positive Test results confirmed
9/21/06 -- CD4 - 586; viral load 8,000; 29%
12/25/06 -- CD4 - 373; VL 2,800; 23%
2/10/07 - CD4 - 228; VL 865; 25%
3/15/07 -  CD4 - 365 (no viral load test)
5/1/07 = CD4 - 341; VL 4,358; 27%
8/1/07 - CD4 - 315; VL - 2,300; 25%
9/20/07 - CD4 - 378
11/22/07 - CD4 - 257; VL 7,300;
2/27/08 - CD4 231 (16.5 %), VL 5,960
5/20/08 - CD4 229 (18.3%), VL 11,100
6/17/08 - CD4 166 (14.5%), VL 9,030
6/17/08 - STARTED VIRAMUNE + TRUVADA
7/2/08 - CD4 272 (20%), VL 113  :-)
7/16/08 - CD4 -217 (21.1 %), VL - Undetectable
7/30/08 - CD4 - 220 (20.4%). VL - 92
8/14/08 - CD4 - 280 (22%) VL-undetectable
1/04/09 - CD4 - 250 (28%) VL-UD
5/15/09 - CD4 -393 (28%) VL-UD
8/15/09 - CD4-346, (26%) VL-UD
11/15/09 - CD4-373 (28%)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 12:05:07 pm »
Matty is correct. A Benadryl cap will help the symptoms, at least it does for me.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 06:48:29 pm »
Just make very, very sure that you don't have a staff infection. 

This is good advice.  Scratch your insect bites too much, and they could get infected.  A staph infection would be particularly nasty.

I don't think gonzo's reactions to insect bites are HIV-related.   I know I've always been sensitive to mosquito bites, and develop big welts when I get bitten.  Last weekend I had a nasty encounter with chiggers, and now have welts around both of my ankles, and my waist.  I *hate* chiggers.

Benadryl (both topical and oral) could help relieve your symptoms.

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 07:23:33 pm »
I have to wear repellent when outdoors because the bugs really go for me for some reason .

One good thing I can say about the winters in the North is that below zero weather kills off a lot of bugs. Unlike the "winter" here in SC that barely even went below 30, and has left us with a zillion bugs.

I use Deep Woods Off anytime I go outside, if not whatever small portion of exposed, unsprayed skin becomes a buffet for the skitters. The bugs are actually attracted to your cardon dioxide and lactic acid output. http://www.newsweek.com/2008/07/02/are-some-people-mosquito-magnets.html Rite Aid has their generic-version clear (calamine) anti-itch lotion that I used when the bugs do bite and leave an itchy welt.

was this the dude that bit your ass and didn't call back? LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2010, 07:42:45 pm »
That's him alright LOL .

I got caught at wallmart scratching my ass tick spot by some people when I thought no one was looking . I was digging away and turned to see a whole family grinning from ear to ear .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 09:45:47 pm »
The weathers getting nicer, and it seems the insects are out to get me, my body isn't dealing with them the way it use to,
my whole arm and/or leg have swollen up where I've been bit, and the flesh feels very warm almost feverish like, can this be caused by HIV?
Anyone have similar reaction?, any feed back would be appreciated!

Thanks!
gonzo

Hi Gonzo,
I've always been an attractant for mosquitoes and certain skin types are zeroed in on more than others. I saw a piece on TV about mosquitoes and they have incredible tracking skills and I seem to recall there's something having to do with cholesterol, too (I'll try to look that up and add to this post).

What I've noticed since becoming positive is the bite sites swell ENORMOUSLY and subside somewhat faster than before, but do get hot to the touch and sometimes rather hard.

I wondered if it's just a by-product of being older. Don't know the reason, but it definitely became markedly different after becoming pozitive.
Em

added: this article contains much of what the TV item did...and the cholesterol reference is in there. http://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/are-you-mosquito-magnet  
one more add: my cholesterol profile has always been excellent, unusual, but sum total excellent
final add: most important, the article gives some good repellent advice for those of us so unlucky as to attract 'em
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 09:54:02 pm by emeraldize »

Offline gonzo

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2010, 05:16:14 am »
I've applied neosporin, used the anti-itch spray, as well as popped 2 allergy tabs, the swellings gone down, hoping the itching subsides some, that's really driving me up the wall.
I invested in one of those Off clip-on things-I hope it works!

Thanks again for all the feed back-greatly appreciated!
 gonzo

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2010, 07:57:54 am »
Gonzo,

I would not use neosporin were I you (unless you've itched to the point of opening your skin and even then, very sparingly), but some calamine lotion (they now have clear not just the old style of chalky pink) may give you some additional relief.

Em

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2010, 09:22:53 am »
I invested in one of those Off clip-on things-I hope it works!
hey G! I keep seeing the commercials about those and was reading about them too (deet, Avon skin so soft, something else and the metofluthrin in the cli-on are the chemicals that work against being bit). let us know what you think of that clip-on. Though that means you'll have to go play outside again and risk getting bit. LOL

I've been lucky and found that I can burn a couple citronella candles around the pool area (next to some woods) and not become a buffet for all the bugs when I'm out swimming.

Thanks for that link Em, very informative. ;) and your right about the lotion. Like I mentioned, Rite Aid carries their own generic brands (that work just as good IMHO) of the calamine/anti-itch lotion in pink or clear at about half the price of the "Calamine" brand
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline weasel

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2010, 05:06:10 pm »

Hey Gonzo ,
                      I think it is the meds .

I went for years being HIV +   ,Never had an issue with bites !

Now after being on meds for 6 years   Mosquitoes make me blow up !

I get Volcanic  eruptions  :o

I use   OXY  pads , like Strydex !

Works like a charm !  No itching and the bumps go away quick  :)

I use   " OFF  Dry and ? , Not the spray like PAM  ::)

good luck , Carl

PS : Missouri = mosquitoes  :o
" Live and let Live "

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2010, 06:12:05 pm »
Actually, now that I think of it, when my CD4 was low I don't remember having as severe of a reaction.

OK tell me if I put my foot in my mouth - my "I am not a doctor" mouth.

I thought a lot of allergies were the result of an overactive immune response to an "allergen".  Thus it would be natural to have less allergies if your immune system is weakened or sidelined with the HIV fight.

The summer of my seroconversion, my hay fever disappeared.  Oh, rats, its back this summer.... Must be a good sign ironically.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Just John

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2010, 07:17:31 pm »
Hi Gonzo,
I've always been an attractant for mosquitoes and certain skin types are zeroed in on more than others.

What I've noticed since becoming positive is the bite sites swell ENORMOUSLY and subside somewhat faster than before, but do get hot to the touch and sometimes rather hard.

Hi Gonzo.

Ditto to the above, I've always been a target for Midgies and Mozzies and other bitey things but the allergic reaction to them is definitely a lot worse since being on meds but my clinic can give only a guess as to the cause.

-John.
Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2010, 11:36:02 pm »
Speaking of bitey things ... Just got  call from my step sister , our brother is in the hospital with tick fever . He is improving but still has a bad rash and a temp of 102 .

Us pozzies better slather on the repellent when at risk , I don't think we need that headache .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline gonzo

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 03:48:43 am »
wow, more responses, Thank's for your posts!

From all of these responses I gather some of us do get a more intense reaction after being undetectable/ on meds.
I been HIV+ since the summer of '90, and I never had reactions like this to insect bites until recently, guess it's something else I'll have to adapt to.
The allergy tabs really helped with the itch, and knocked me out too-so I slept better than I usually do.
And the clear calamine lotion was a god send, thanks for the advice.

jg1962: Hope your brother gets well soon!
Just John: did your clinic blame it on "reconstitution syndrome", I have an appt. with my derm, but that isn't until end of the month, wondering if I should cancel it if it's not going to go anywhere.
weasel: going to have to try the OXY pads thanks for the tip, as for the off spray-I'm paranoid of putting that stuff on my skin so I'm using the Off Clip-On.
leatherman: the Off Clip-On is working for me, but this thing is going to run me a pretty penny by the time the summers over, it costs almost $10 for the Clip-On and it comes with 1 refill, a refill lasts 12 hours of continuous use, plus it runs on 2 AA batteries, and additional refills cost about $4 for 2 in a pack, at least that's what they go for here in NYC.
emeraldize: I did scratch hard is why I used the neo, but I did clip my fingernails short, last thing I want is any kind of infection.

thank you all for your input,
 gonzo

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 04:28:20 am »
Gonzo....

I recently got "bitten" by something and my hand became swollen.  I started getting itchy red bumbs on my leg and around my ankles.  I took benedryl and it seemed to help.  I like yourself am not reacting to insect bites like I once did....but then I only have 40 T-Cells.  Guess that's to be expected huh?  Don't forget the bug spray or skin so soft or whatever you use to keep the bugs off you....
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 08:08:11 am »
wow, more responses, Thank's for your posts!

From all of these responses I gather some of us do get a more intense reaction after being undetectable/ on meds.
I been HIV+ since the summer of '90, and I never had reactions like this to insect bites until recently, guess it's something else I'll have to adapt to.
The allergy tabs really helped with the itch, and knocked me out too-so I slept better than I usually do.
And the clear calamine lotion was a god send, thanks for the advice.

Gonzo,
You're welcome--I love the clear stuff. Since I'm just starting meds tonight, I have to add that my reactions to bites have been mounting during a treatment-naive period of years, but noticeable mostly within the last three. To say they reach the size of half a golf ball is not stretching it. Last feeding frenzy after some early evening weeding resulted in three huge welts all on the left arm. I am not going out again this summer without Off on.
Glad you're doing better. I do understand the Neosporin use---once the skin is raw, it's better spread thin than thick is what I wanted to pass along.
Em

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 03:27:53 pm »
Glad you're doing better. I do understand the Neosporin use---once the skin is raw, it's better spread thin than thick is what I wanted to pass along.
Em

MtD

Offline acerhound

• Happiness is not a goal, it is a by-product.
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2010, 06:02:17 pm »
I don't have an answer, but an observation. I, too, have had crazy reactions to bug bites. More to the point, bugs seem to seek me out like the dessert cart at a bar mitzvah. I get huge, hot, itchy welts from the bites. Not fun.

Well, here's my observation. I've recently discovered that I've been walking around with thrush. If you have an allergy to funguses (like thrush), you'll be hypersensitive to bug bites. Might want to check to see if you have thrush. A simple thing for your doctor to check.

Regards,

Dan

Offline SoSadTooBad

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 06:46:12 pm »
yup - ever since I have been poz, I have been extermely sensitive to insect bites.  makes outdoor cruising in the summer a really bitch, lol.  seriously, even a few small mosquito bites turn into large, raised red bumps and they last for over a week.  one Benadryl usually takes care of it, but I agree, there has been a definite change in my response to insect bites since becoming poz. 

Offline Just John

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2010, 06:38:17 pm »
Just John: did your clinic blame it on "reconstitution syndrome"

They didn't blame it on anything; just a vague "It could be something in the drugs causing hypersensitivity or the virus itself causing changes to my allergic reactions".

It's certainly a nuisance though.

makes outdoor cruising in the summer a really bitch

Amen. ;)

Offline randym431

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2010, 11:35:11 am »
I once read and i do believe meds in the blood attracts mosquitoes. And the hits or bites really swell and itch. But.. I found a little solution (at least for me it works 100%) to knock the itch out of those mosquito bites. I put some Hydrogen Peroxide on a cotton ball, or just a piece of tp, and hold it firmly on the bite for 30 seconds or so. What happens, the bite stops itching and never itches again. And if I can apply some Hydrogen Peroxide before the bite starts itching, it never develops into an itch bite. I know its hard to believe, but this really works. I apply Hydrogen Peroxide to bites, new and old, all the time and never are bothered with the dam things again. Just give it a try. Hydrogen Peroxide is pretty cheap.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 11:40:24 am by randym431 »
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline newby05

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2010, 04:34:03 pm »
spraying listerine  on the body before you go outside really works!! Just put some in a spray bottle and spray yourself before you spend some time outside.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2010, 01:42:26 am »
A doc just talked about some HIVers having more of a bad response from allergies or insect bites.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SideEffects/Current/Q209182.html

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2010, 04:38:07 am »
A doc just talked about some HIVers having more of a bad response from allergies or insect bites.

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/SideEffects/Current/Q209182.html

O_o

You're kidding, right?

MtD

Offline Just John

« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2010, 07:54:28 pm »
I got bitten again on Wednesday, by Horse Flies this time, one on each arm.

I thought that one was going to turn nasty(er), my arm swelled and turned bright red for about 4" all around it, it only lasted a day though before fading gradually.

I'm now just left with two maddeningly itchy lumps, one about the same diameter as an AA battery, the other is still over 1" round and nothing stops the itching for long. :(

-John.

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 08:01:01 am »
Whenever we go to the Dutch Caribean on holiday, we use Humphreys anti-itch ointment for sunburn and mosquito bites. It contains 5% Benzocaine and Witch Hazel extracts. Gives good relief of itching.

Offline debbie9947

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2010, 09:03:49 am »
I Thought it was just me with the bug bites, i should have read this sooner.

I use to go camping and had to stop that about 4 years ago. i started getting bit like crazy and the reaction i had from it was scary. I would get big welts and they would itch like ,itch ,itch, i still have some scars on my legs as i could not help the itching, not just 1 bite but lots of them, no  one else we were camping with got bitten like this, i was off my meds at the time.... so it cant be that.

Now i live if Florida  and get bitten by bugs i cant even see. same reaction  as the mosquitoes up north, a little bite turns into a big half dollar size swollen circle.,they are  itchy, and seem to stay with me for awhile. I am guessing our immune system just isn't dealing well with whatever the insect is injectiing into us.. I hate bugs!

Offline David_CA

« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2010, 09:35:31 am »
Insect bites have been hell on me the last few years.  It seems to somewhat correlate to my being HIV+, as I certainly don't recall having such reactions in the past.  Ant bites last weeks; mosquito bites take about a week to heal... if I can resist scratching.  Benadryl would help, but I can't take it while at work, though I do use Benadryl cream.  Other antihistamines (Allegra) that I take for allergies seem to help some, as does aspirin.  Mostly, I use antibiotic ointment and Benadryl cream, and suffer.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Zohar

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2010, 05:18:54 pm »
When I was in India, I got bitten by mosquitoes and the bites turned into huge liquid filled blisters that alarmed the locals. So I definitely think there is a correlation between HIV and  a more severe reaction to bug bites.
''Poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another.''

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2010, 08:00:06 pm »
I'm actually being absolutely swarmed when I step outside past 6 or 7pm now that it's summer time.  Considering I'm pretty sure I've been positive for at a minimum 3 years I tend to think it's not HIV but maybe the meds that are causing this.  Who knows.  Anyway my reaction to the bites is the same as usual, but with 15 minutes outdoors I can expect no less than 10+ mosquito bites.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2010, 08:25:01 pm »
but with 15 minutes outdoors I can expect no less than 10+ mosquito bites.
here in SC, wherever I miss spraying the Off-spray will be the place that gets bit within minutes - every time. I now have a bottle by every door and spray whenever I step outside. Surround the pool, I burn 4 tiki torches with citronella fuel and burn 2 citronella candles.

and last nite a damn skitter came in the doggie door as the cockers were going in and out, and it left me with 10 big ol' welts before I found and killed that sucker. Argh! :o
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2010, 09:12:09 pm »
I always imagine those poor skeeters trying desperately to wash they're little mouths out in the birdbath after tasting my tainted blood .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Vertice

« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2010, 08:13:47 pm »
Summer time is also hell for me, due to the bad reactions to mosquitoes bites.  It started only few years ago before Meds. One thing I always keep in mind is to differentiate between an allergic reaction response and an actual infection (cellulitis).  If one scratch, the broken skin can become infected needing oral or IV Antibiotics.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2010, 01:44:53 pm »
I just got two mosquito bites last night and today they've swollen to welts that are 2 inches in diameter.  One is on the top of my right foot and I dread putting on shoes.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline tommy246

• Standard
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2010, 04:51:14 pm »
I don't know if it's strictly HIV related, but it sounds nasty.

If the reaction hasn't subsided soon, you should seek medical attention. Perhaps an anti-histamine will help relieve the pain and swelling.

MtD
can i take anti histamine im on atripla and covered in mosquito bites
jan 06 neg
dec 08 pos cd4 505 ,16%, 1,500vl
april 09 cd4 635 ,16%,60,000
july 09 ,cd4 545,17%,80,000
aug 09,hosptal 18days pneumonia cd190,225,000,15%
1 week later cd4 415 20%
nov 09 cd4 591 ,vl 59,000,14%,started atripla
dec 09  cd4 787, vl 266, 16%
march 2010  cd4 720 vl non detectable -20  20%
june 2010  cd4  680, 21%, ND

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2010, 05:13:46 pm »
can i take anti histamine im on atripla and covered in mosquito bites
just not Hismanal

http://www.aidsmeds.com/archive/Atripla_1577.shtml
The following medications should not be taken while you are being treated with Atripla:
Antihistamines: Hismanal (astemizole)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2010, 11:01:27 pm »
Damn, one of my bites now has expanded to a 3 inch welt.  It's seriously the worst one I've ever encountered.  I hope I don't catch AIDS.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2010, 11:06:21 pm »
ROFLMAO Ms. P...

My ex, who I am still friends with, gets bit by mosquitoes the second he walks outside at night - he bought one of the clip on devices and it seems to help

I usually don't get bit - but if I do it is almost 99% always on my ankles.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2010, 11:08:58 pm »
This is my 13,000th post.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2010, 11:11:19 pm »
@ Ms. P - and to think that I helped you to get there by asking what a MILF was -- otherwise you would have had one more post to go to reach 13,000.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.