Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:28:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 338
Total: 338

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Re: Oral sex hiv risk  (Read 22904 times)

Offline iScared

Re: Oral sex hiv risk
« on: November 01, 2011, 12:34:33 am »
I am in a same situation as wannalive .... in my case there was a girl who's status i don't know.. and she was trying to get too close to me, I have seen this girl hanging out with many different boys, two weeks back we both were alone and she went down and gave me blow job for around 2-3 min... I am in serious relationship with my girl friend and soon realized that I was doing wrong. I stopped and asked her to leave... she went away and I stopped any kind of relationship with her.
I was feeling so guilty and after half hour I realize that I might get infected with HIV.. so I washed my penis with soap..

1) Since then i started reading on internet about HIV infection through oral sex. And lots of site says that it is possible to get infected by HIV positive female who give oral sex(blow job) to a HIV negative male through the small hole on tip of penis. I was getting scarred.. I am having NO sex with my girl friend since that day, i do not want to infect her. Same weekend I went to doctor and did the HIV test. Doctor gave me Hep B vaccine and the HIV test results were negative. but then I read that HIV cannot be detected in its window period and its just 2 weeks now and I am getting more scarred day by day. I am not sure about the dental health of the girl who gave me the blow job. looks like there was a bruce on side of here lips( like a small crack due to cold weather). but there was no visible blood on my penis.. I had a burning sensation on my penis for 2 days after the blow job but there was no cuts or visible wounds. The question that I had was am I infected?

2) today is my second week after possible exposure and I came across your site and you guys are saying that insertive oral ( getting blow job) is not low risk but its NO Risk.. You guys have given me such a great relief.
I have one question.. how can you guys be so sure that insertive sex is NO risk? when many other sites says that its a low risk.. though theoretical risk..
This small margin of doubt is still scarring me... just because there  is no documented case we cannot say that its not possible. I might become the first case. These thoughts are bothering me alot.
I would like to thank god that I came across your site. I read all the questions on your forum and by your replies I am getting more sure that insertive oral sex is No risk. at least I am able to sleep.

3) Should I test my self after 3 month? I know you will say not required.. but i love my girl friend so much that I am always scared that I might pass the virus to her.. already I am feeling so guilty for betraying her... that 2 mins blow job has screwed my life..I am not able to face my girl friend.

4) My other problems is since that day, even if i get any pain, I think that its HIV symptom.
I have some throat pain on second day after a blow job...
my  back side of leg joins were paining on 7th day i though it as symptoms.(swollen lymph)..

I will post my results..
GOD BLESS you all..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 09:24:07 am »
I've split your entry from where you posted it in another member's thread. It is a rule of the site that only those who are authorized to do so can write in other member threads. You should keep your entries only in this thread in the future.

Getting oral is one of the most common of sexual activities. In the entire history of the epidemic there has never been a single confirmed case of transmission of HIV to a guy in that manner. Not one. You are not going to make history by becoming the first.

There is no need for testing nor for further concern on your part. You were not at risk. The only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. Use condoms everytime for those activities and you will be well protected. It really is that simple.
Andy Velez

Offline iScared

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 06:31:44 pm »
Thanks Andy,

Based on all yours and Ann's replies to all the similar posts, I am considering that I am safe from HIV virus.
Only thing that bothers me is these small small health issues that i am getting after the incident. join pain, fever and today i am have minor throat infection, I will be going to doctor and will be treating as a normal illness.
Is it safe to say that these are NOT hiv symptoms ?
Also I am not sure how to stop my GF from having any sex with me before my 3 month test.
if this fear of getting infected do not go from my mind, do you think I should see psychiatrist ?

Thanks for your reply..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 06:56:51 pm »
Your symptoms are absolutely not suggestive of HIV in anyway and I repeat you did not have a risk for the virus.

Yes, it is safe for you to continue sexual relations with your girlfriend without worrying that you might pass HIV.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline iScared

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 11:16:09 pm »
Andy,

Thanks for your words.. Now I am feeling better..
Only thing that is bothering me is my guilt.. I have no courage to look into my girl friend eyes..
That 2 min of blow job had big impact on my head... I think as time passes I should feel better...
Andy..Thanks from bottom of my heart... you have really made me feel better..

You do not answer one of my question... Should I see psychiatrist, if this fear of getting infected do not go from my mind?? I am trying my best to get this out of my mind but I am still afraid.. or should I give some more time to my self...

Thanks Andy.. Thank you very much...

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Re: Oral sex hiv risk
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 11:39:03 pm »
If you cannot shake this fear, if the fact and science do not stop you from obsessing over HIV, then yes you should talk to a professional.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline iScared

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2011, 10:49:43 pm »
Hi Andy, Ann and jkinati2,

For long time I was feeling better when you replied me last that I am not at risk with HIV.
whenever I feel scared I read your replies for oral sex and use to relax, but some days back the 'Wanana' put the post that oral sex can transmit HIV and I lost all my control. 'Wanana' post again scared me..
Just to put my mind back in peace and to reconfirm my situation I am write back to you guys.
I just received a Blow Job from a girl ( unknown status) for 2- 3 mins. I do not know if she had any wound or bleeding in her mouth, but her tongue was pierced. I do not see any blood on my penis or anywhere around penis.(I checked my penis after half hour) she just had a small crack on side of her lips due to winter and she applied lots of saliva to my penis before giving blow job... can this infect me with HIV?

I am sorry to repost but just that I read 'Wanana' post and I again got scared.

Thanks a lot.....

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2011, 11:06:00 pm »
Then please reread that thread. Look at my replies, at Rod's, at Ann's.

Look at the very distinct difference between the Original Poster's "research" and my own. S/he simply quoted people's individual assertions. I back up my facts with first tiered peer-reviewed science, complete with footnotes.

In case you missed it, here is a significant chunk of the science I and others use in our assertions:

No incident HIV infections among MSM who practice exclusively oral sex.
Int Conf AIDS 2004 Jul 11-16; 15:(abstract no. WePpC2072)??Balls JE, Evans JL, Dilley J, Osmond D, Shiboski S, Shiboski C, Klausner J, McFarland W, Greenspan D, Page-Shafer K?University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, United States

Oral Dis.   2006   May   ;12   (3):219-28 16700731   
Oral transmission of HIV, reality or fiction? An update.
J   Campo , M A   Perea , J   Del Romero , J   Cano , V   Hernando , A   Bascones
Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and many other viruses can be isolated in blood and body fluids, including saliva, and can be transmitted by genital-genital and especially anal-genital sexual activity. The risk of transmission of HIV via oral sexual practices is very low. Unlike other mucosal areas of the body, the oral cavity appears to be an extremely uncommon transmission route for HIV. We present a review of available evidence on the oral-genital transmission of HIV and analyse the factors that act to protect oral tissues from infection, thereby reducing the risk of HIV transmission by oral sex. Among these factors we highlight the levels of HIV RNA in saliva, presence of fewer CD4+ target cells, presence of IgA antibodies in saliva, presence of other infections in the oral cavity and the endogenous salivary antiviral factors lysozyme, defensins, thrombospondin and secretory leucocyte protease inhibitor (SLPI). Oral Diseases (2006) 12, 219-228.

http://www.aidsmap.com/en/news/2AF5DF5C-ECEF-4854-80BA-09F86B483A02.asp

http://gateway.nlm.nih.gov/MeetingAbstracts/102255339.html

AIDS:  Volume 16(17)  22 November 2002  pp 2350-2352
Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men

Page-Shafer, Kimberlya,b; Shiboski, Caroline Hb; Osmond, Dennis Hc; Dilley, Jamesd; McFarland, Willie; Shiboski, Steve Cc; Klausner, Jeffrey De; Balls, Joycea; Greenspan, Deborahb; Greenspan

Page-Shafer K, Veugelers PJ, Moss AR, Strathdee S, Kaldor JM, van Griensven GJ. Sexual risk behavior and risk factors for HIV-1 seroconversion in homosexual men participating in the Tricontinental Seroconverter Study, 1982-1994 [published erratum appears in Am J Epidemiol 1997 15 Dec; 146(12):1076]. Am J Epidemiol 1997, 146:531-542.

The Romero study used male/female relationships almost exclusively, with either male or female partner positive. The viral loads varied widely, as did the treatment options (or lack thereof) during the ten years of the study.

The Page-Shafer "HOT" study used homosexual males with different partners, studied both receptive and insertive oral sex.

The abstract of the study is also here:

http://www.aegis.com/conferences/iac/2002/TuPeC4872.html

An updated abstract of the Romero study is in:

Oral Dis.   2006 May   ;12   (3):219-28 16700731

An earlier Page-Shafer study regarding oral HIv transmission:

Risk of HIV infection attributable to oral sex among men who have sex with men and in the population of men who have sex with men.
AIDS. 16(17):2350-2352, November 22, 2002.
Page-Shafer, Kimberly a,b; Shiboski, Caroline H b; Osmond, Dennis H c; Dilley, James d; McFarland, Willi e; Shiboski, Steve C c; Klausner, Jeffrey D e; Balls, Joyce a; Greenspan, Deborah b; Greenspan, John S b

Other relevant studies, many of which reference either/both Romero and/or Page-Shafer, among others:

http://www.aidsonline.com/pt/re/aids/fulltext.00002030-199904160-00021.htm;jsessionid=G1nGq7PY37yynzdYy7CHvpqRwHKzNFS7J3gPvGYzGKp6Tz2nvFdx!1330140564!181195629!8091!-1?nav=search&searchid=1&index=21&results=1&count=10

Note the methodology for the Page-Shafer and Romero studies, and how they differ significantly from earlier studies which relied on post-infection patient report. In my opinion, that methodology dramatically increases the validity of the report.

Studies which show the fallacy of relying on anecdotal evidence as opposed to carefully controlled study insofar as HIV transmission risk is concerned:

Jenicek M. "Clinical Case Reporting" in Evidence-Based Medicine. Oxford: Butterworth–Heinemann; 1999:117

Saltzman SP, Stoddard AM, McCusker J, Moon MW, Mayer KH. Reliability of self-reported sexual behavior risk factors for HIV infection in homosexual men. Public Health Rep. 1987 102(6):692–697.Nov–Dec;

Catania JA, Gibson DR, Chitwood DD, Coates TJ. Methodological problems in AIDS behavioral research: influences on measurement error and participation bias in studies of sexual behavior. Psychol Bull. 1990 Nov;108(3):339–362.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline iScared

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2011, 11:40:20 pm »
Hi jkinatl2..

Thanks for your quick reply.. I read his complete post.. Just that I got scared from his first post.
I just wanted to get my situation clear that I am at no risk... I know you have already told me that but it was my fear after reading Wanana's comment, that made me repost.
Just on clarification, in some old post Ann said that receiving BJ is not 'Low Risk' but its a 'No Risk', is their any scientific reason behind what she is saying ? I am not questioning Ann's expertise but just wanted to understand that on many other sites it says that, it is theoretically possible to transmit HIV from the linen on the tip of the penis from the HIV positive person giving BJ. if the person giving BJ is having bleeding in her mouth then the blood can pass through the linen on the tip of penis and can infect the person receiving BJ.
my question is that, is this really possible scientifically or is it just the theory and cannot occur in reality?

jKinatl2, thanks once again.. you guys really make people like me feel better.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 12:48:33 am »
Well, like my above message stated, saliva contains over a dozen different elements that neutralize HIV. Mpreover, your exposure to saliva is the exposure you get from kissing, from blowjobs, from having someone lick your ass. And in NONE of these situations has HIV EVER been implicated as a transmission vector.

I cannot stress this enough.

You will NOT be infected with HIV from a blowjob. The science AND the statistics AND the epidemiology simply do not support it one iota.

You might as well think you can get HIV through a kiss, or drinking after an HIV positive person.

The scenario you propose still makes HIV infection impossible.

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 06:12:39 am »
Scared,

Look mate, you got your dick sucked, now get over it. You absolutely were NOT at risk for hiv infection.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE!!!!

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline iScared

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 11:51:05 pm »
Ann, jkinatl2, Andy,

Thanks a lot. You guys are the best.. I have no more questions for you..
Just reading your replies makes me feel better... I have stop going on other sites( that worries me a lot) as some site says the oral sex is "low risk"... even if this thought cross my mind, I read your reply, it make me feel better..
BIG THANKS guys.. In anyway if I can help you, your site or your organization, please please please let me know.

You all are doing such a great work.. you have got me out of my mental trauma..GOD BLESS YOU..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 08:16:33 am »
Yes, staying off of other sites is a very good idea. Otherwise all you will do is find fodder to feed your worst fears and all to no good purpose.

You had no risk. Just get on with your life.

Andy Velez

Offline iScared

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 08:16:18 pm »
Hi Ann, Andy and jk,

I regularly read all your posts. I appreciate the great work you all are doing.
This site helped me, keep me out of my stress, I got my sleep back.
I am reposting here to say BIG THANKS to you all..

I am have my next blood test on coming friday.. I know its not required in my case.. as Andy keep saying, this is just for my peace of mind..

You all are really doing great job.. THANKS once again..

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2011, 09:06:13 am »
You're welcome.

I continue to expect a happy result from your test on Friday.
Andy Velez

Offline iScared

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2012, 07:47:11 am »
Hi Andy,

I am back after long time. Actually I am have some health issues, like hyperacidity, diarrhea , headache, throat infection etc. due to this I lost almost 5 lb weight. I went to my doctor and with other test she asked me to take the HIV test again.
I did my test in 2nd month and 4th month all were negative, as you said my incident was NOT HIV concern, but as doctor said to test again I started worrying.
Its almost 9 months now after my incident and I never had any other incident after or before that.
Is there any chance of me getting infected ? should I stop worrying ?
As you guys say test after 4 weeks is conclusive, should i worry about change in result after 4th month test?
Or all my current symptoms are just by some other viral infection.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2012, 07:57:32 am »
Scared,

Unless you've been engaging in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse with someone of unknown or positive hiv status since your four month negative test result, you are not going to get anything other than another negative test result. You are already conclusively hiv negative.

You never had a risk in the first place. Getting a blowjob is not a risk, as you have been repeatedly told.

Keep working with your doctor to find out what, exactly, is going on with you. You have already ruled hiv out of the picture.

You do NOT have hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline iScared

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2012, 09:23:40 am »
Thanks Ann,
Doctor keeps scarring me.. Hope the HIV result is negative.
Also doctor is checking with some other blood reports and stomach xray to see what these symptoms are all about.
Thanks for confirming.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.