Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:47:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 350
Total: 350

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Lipoatrophy and leg pain  (Read 15686 times)

Offline robbie0517

Lipoatrophy and leg pain
« on: July 20, 2007, 11:29:17 pm »
Hello,

I am HIV- but my boyfriend of 8 years is HIV+ since 2001. He started Atripla about a year ago but was on Truvada + Sustiva before that, and Sustiva+Combivir+Viread before that.

I love him very much and have been worried about him the last couple of days. He is complaining of moderate to severe pain in his legs, mainly his thighs.

He suffers from lipoatrophy pretty bad. There is absolutely no fat on his body anywhere. His veins all appear to be on the outside of his body. He is really selfconsience and I wish I could just make it better but I can't.

He especially feels the pain after going up stairs. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on? He has a doctor's appt but not until July 30.

Any help is appreciated. I know you guys are great about helping people, maybe you can help us.

Thank You,
Robbie

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: Lipoatrophy and leg pain
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 09:17:05 pm »
Hey Robbie,

I've had lipoatrophy for years, but have never experienced pain as a result.

What sort of pain is your boyfriend experiencing? Is it in the joints, in the muscles?

I know my knees don't like it when I overdo, but that is a result of my getting older rather than the HIV or the meds.

Is your boyfriend on any statins like Lipitor? Sometimes they can cause muscle pain.

I think your boyfriend's doc needs to be alerted to this.  Far as I know, Atripla shouldn't be doing this, but who knows?

Keep us updated on what you find out and how your boyfriend is doing.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 11:59:35 am »
I've never experienced leg pain from lipoatrophy. I think there is something else going on.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 01:41:30 pm »
Not to hijack the thread, but GSO - your photo is really great.

Great smile!

WOOF!

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 03:27:41 pm »
Not to hijack the thread, but GSO - your photo is really great.

Great smile!

WOOF!

HUGS,

Mark

Us bald guys have to stick together!

Offline chm02

• id est
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 03:36:34 am »
It could be neuropathy...

Offline robbie0517

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 08:08:46 pm »
Well he went to the doctor yesterday and was told that It most likely is from muscle wasting.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 03:39:20 am »
If the pain is in the feet and perhaps the knees, this can be from loss of fat in the balls of the feet/behind the knees which makes walking painful, therefore perhaps from lipoatrophy.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 08:31:42 am »

Over the last couple months, I have been noticing more pain in the legs, Especially on the bottoms of the feet, when I have all my weight applied, and when I first stand up, or if I have been off my feet for a while. Feels like I am standing on bone, with no cushioning. Also noticing a lot of stiffness in the feet.
( toes )

As far as leg pain, mostly muscle fatigue, type of feeling, but, at the same time, I feel the need to walk more often. If I sit too  long, I will ache,( this is not the normal neuropathy ache) so its best I keep moving. I still enjoy riding the bike, and have no problem peddling.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline robbie0517

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 03:22:29 pm »
Well he went back to the doctor today and they are now suspecting diabetes. I hope this is not the case, I hate watching him suffer already from the HIV and hope this doesn't get compounded by diabetes.

Is diabetes a risk associated with HIV infection?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 03:42:31 pm »
hmmm... somehow I missed this the first go around.  I definitely have moderate pain the ole foot pads and knees which I've assumed is due to lipo.  The bottom of my feet are where I first noticed problems a decade ago, without of course knowing what as going on.  I always was one to walk barefoot when I was home in the house, and suddenly found it uncomfortable and started having to always at least wear socks.  Then it got worse and went to flip flops (I always was living in old houses with wood floors).  Then I began noticing it in my elbows -- yes elbows.  Even today if I rest my arms on the armrests of my desk chair it will begin to hurt if it's resting right on the bone.  Mind you, if I had a desk chair with padded arm rests I would not notice it, but minimalist Eames chairs do not have this and I refuse to get rid of this chair, so I just try and adjust.

And yes, it eventually got to where I would get tired going up (and maybe even down) stairs at times.  Not excruciating like athritis or anything but it was noticeable.  You know, when you're lab numbers have been in every range and you've been on every HIV med available since the early 90's you learn to just write some things off to the "whatever" category unless they're very bad.  I know for the longest time my fatigue was due to my unsuppressed viral load that went on for over a decade.  This has been controlled in the past year and my fatigue has gone way down.

I also have what I is more lower grade PN but I know what that feels like as opposed to the others.

Anyway robbie, aidsmap does indicated that type II diabetes is seen in 2-10% of HIV sufferers.

http://www.aidsmap.com/cms1032578.asp

Of course, now that I read that I start wondering if that's what I have.  Does this stuff not get checked in normal blood work?  I know nothing about diabetes really.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 03:44:58 pm by philly267 »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline SteveA

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2007, 03:44:59 pm »
Diabetes isn't a side effect of HIV, it's a side effect of the Lipodistrophy caused by PI's. All the excess fat around your internal organs causes the pancreas to over work itself due to insulin resistance. Eventually it reaches a point where it can no longer keep up with insulin production. How do I know this? Because I just got that diabetes diagnosis just under 4 months ago for the very reasons I've just listed.

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 04:50:11 pm »
Mini was diagnosed with diabetes in 2004 after being on her recent combo for about 18mths.  It was also 1 mth after she was dx with cp.  PID said it had to do w/ the way her body was reacting to her meds.  She also has leg pain and arm pain. She compensates by walking on her toes w/ her knees bent.  She takes dance classes and one of the dances is done w/ a tamborine.  She stopped half way through the dance and said her arm (holding the tamberine) and her hand (the one "hitting" the tamborine) were both hurting.  She was near tears.  We also got rid of all her cute shoes and she now has nice thick walking shoes w/ inserts in them.  That seems to help some, too, but she also gets tired very easily.

Mini's mom
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline SteveA

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2007, 05:10:49 pm »
I haven't experienced any leg or arm pain yet other than my developing arthritis which is just normal for my age.  :-X

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.