Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:01:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772951
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 461
Total: 463

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Scared I could be infected.  (Read 6464 times)

Offline scott

Scared I could be infected.
« on: August 23, 2006, 12:27:47 pm »
I am a 28 year old male from london uk, I went out 2 weeks ago to a pub and ended up flirting with a lady who claims she was 34 (and I have no reason to doubt her), we ended up back at my place where we attempted unprotected intercourse (I say attempted because I was too drunk and after 5 mins gave up, although it WAS still intercourse), that was basically it, now the next day I was very regretful and started thinking about the possibility of catching an STD so I started reading up on it, anyways, about 9 days later I noticed slight headaches and I checked my neck and noticed a slight lump on the right hand side (I can only assume its a lymph gland), I started worrying about the possibility of a hiv infection (although I have no reason to believe the lady had hiv), now today (12 days after the encounter) I feel nauseous after getting home from work, I did stop for a couple of pints of lager quite early at 12 noon (I finish work at 1pm), I started feeling nauseous soon after I left the pub so I don't know if that is the reason for the nausea, I had a 2 hour afternoon nap and woke up feeling alot more nauseous, no headaches and still a slight lump on my right side of my neck.

I am really paranoid now and convinced myself that I have caught hiv, any thoughts?

Offline RapidRod

Re: Scared I could be infected.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 03:23:22 pm »
I hope you are not going by symptoms because they don't mean squat. Your symptoms came on to early to be related to HIV. You should test at the appropriate time for other stds.

Offline scott

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 03:32:29 pm »
Thank you RapidRod for your reply.

I will get the neccesary STD tests asap, I just wanted to hear some opinions if the symptoms I am getting are possibly hiv related, although you say it's too early, I have read alot of different things on that subject, some say the first acute hiv symptoms are from 3 days to 3 weeks, some say 1 week to 1 month, and others say 1 month to 3 months, which is correct, it's all confusing with conflicting information available  :(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 04:09:48 pm »
OK, here are some bits which are not going to be confusing:

1. You need to get tested for HIV at 13 weeks after the most recent unprotected incident.

2. Anytime you have intercourse without a condom you are putting your life at risk. So keep that latex handy and use one everytime. No exceptions.

3. Mixing excessive drinking and casual/impulsive sex is a dangerous combination and has accounted for many, many infections.

4. HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It's significantly harder to accomplish from female to male. The odds against transmission via a single exposure are in your favor against it occuring. BUT, low risk is not the same as no risk so you need to learn from this experience and use condoms everytime.

5.  Symptoms mean zilch as a way of knowing your HIV status. ONLY an HIV test taken at the right time can give you a reliable answer about your HIV status.

Good luck with your test.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline scott

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2006, 12:17:08 am »
Thanks for the reply Andy Velez .

I am aware of most of what you said, but my initial concearn is still the symtoms I have had, I have just got up ready to go to work and I feel absolutely fine, no headache and no nausea, still swollen gland on right side (lower neck) .
RapidRod said that this is too early for the first acute hiv signs, is that a fact or not? I know you both say that symptoms mean nothing, but I am just trying to get my head around some of what I have read because as I said there is alot of conflicting information avaiable.

Regards
Scott
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 12:24:40 am by scott »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2006, 05:14:58 am »
Scott,

If you know symptoms - or the lack of symptoms - mean nothing, then why are you pursuing this line of questioning? Forget about symptoms and keep you hands off you glands. Touching them all the time will MAKE them swell and keep them swollen. One swollen gland has nothing to do with hiv, which is a systemic infection.

The more you read about symptoms and the more you search for them on your body, the more likely it is that your body will oblige your mind and start producing symptoms. The mind and the immune system are intimately linked. Stop worrying yourself sick. (that is a saying for a reason you know!)

As Andy said, the odds are significantly in your favour of testing negative. Hiv is not easy to transmit, especially from a woman to a man and especially under the flaccid, drunken circumstances you describe to us.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scott

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 08:50:27 am »
Thanks Anne, after reading back on all of the replies I feel alot more at ease now, I guess it is true that looking for symptoms are probably contributing to my paranoya, I will keep my hands away from my glands  ;D and when the 13 weeks are up I will take a hiv test and post the results hoping for a negative.

Thaks guys
Scott

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 09:02:52 am »
Scott,

I see I haven't given you my usual pep-talk, so here it is, just in case you've missed it in your travels through this forum. It contains the basic info you need to keep yourself hiv negative. Please also make sure you read through the Welcome Thread and follow the Lessons links.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms and avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scott

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 03:22:21 pm »
Yep, I already read all of the welcome page, I read alot of the lessons and threads on varoius of the sub boards on this site, they really helped me deal with some of my fears, I found it very helpful and informative, it gives me a great ease of mind to know that having a hiv poz status does not mean the end of life.

Another question I have which I have not quite found the answer to and sorry if I should have made a seperate thread for this, but in some of the threads I have read I see posters saying they have been classified as having AIDS (after having hiv for a long amount of time) but instead of getting worse they have in fact gotten better over time and they have less of the virus and a stronger immune system taking them out of the AIDS category (I mean no disrespect by saying AIDS is a category btw, just cant think of a more PC word to use), does this in fact mean that the virus can actually be stopped (not cured, I know there is no cure), by stopped I mean where it would stop progressing further thus stopping the condition from worsening? and is there any particular thread on this subject , I would be very interested in reading up on that, maybe I have misunderstood it, any links and replies would be helpful thanks.

Regards
Scott

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 04:03:40 pm »
Once you have been classified as having AIDS it never changes. Look back in the Welcome thread and look read about HAART.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.