Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:38:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 235
Total: 236

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Found out about two months ago...starting meds tomorrow  (Read 3141 times)

Offline Koopahtroopah

Found out about two months ago...starting meds tomorrow
« on: December 06, 2013, 08:38:54 pm »
Hi all,

I've been wanting to post something on the forums for a while now but with the shock of finding out I'm HIV-positive, the doctor visits, the "what-the-fuck" moments, and trying to function normally at work and with friends, I'm only getting here now.

I'm a gay 26 y.o. male graduate student living in California and found out I am HIV-positive on October 16th, 2013.  I had been dating a guy (we'll call him Mark) for about two weeks prior to me finding out and to make a long story short, Mark and I got along really well and really liked each other, had sex, and decided we should get ourselves tested for the whole panel of STIs...just to make sure everything was in line.  Obviously, that didn't turn out as well as I would have hoped.  I went to my university's health center to get the STI panel (oral swabs, anal swabs, urine, blood) but because the results wouldn't be in for at least a week, I went to the free rapid testing clinic on campus...just so I could have a result in hand.

While waiting for the rapid test to incubate, the undergraduate volunteer who administered the test did her whole spiel about safe sex and transmission frequencies and modes of transmission, etc.  I was confident my test would come back negative, as it had previously.  But when she said the test was reactive, my whole world shifted.  I didn't believe her and made her do two more tests for me.  Poor girl, I'm pretty sure I was the first person she had to tell this sort of news to because she looked as scared as I felt.

The first thing I thought about was Mark.  How was I going to tell him, someone I was only starting to get to know and someone who I honestly cared about, that I may have exposed him to HIV?  I wasn't even thinking about the burden that my health was facing.  I ended up driving to his house later that night to break the news (after a lot of crying and talking to a nurse at my health center who had a good history of treating HIV patients...thank God for her words to me).  I honestly was preparing for the worst and half expected a punch in the face...but I couldn't have been more wrong.  Mark ended up staying with me for the night (nothing happened, don't worry) because he didn't want me to be alone...blew my mind and I am so amazed that happened.

I am starting Truvada and Tivicay tomorrow, December 7th 2013, and have the fullest intention/hope to make my viral load undetectable for the rest of my life.  Mark's tests came back negative (thank god) and we are still seeing each other for now.  He has been by my side through this entire process.  I'm very thankful for him and really owe him a lot...when I think about it, he really saved me.  We'll see how things work out.

Anyway, I'll be posting more about specific things later but just wanted to get my story on here.  I'm surprisingly hopeful.  Like I said, I have my what-the-fuck moments and I've been thinking about my future a lot...but there are a lot of good moments too...and I didn't get punched in the face.

KoopahTroopah
10/16/2013 - Oral Rapid Test rective
11/4/2013 - CD4 523 30%; VL 104,000
12/7/2013 (tomorrow) - Start Truvada and Tivicay

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Found out about two months ago...starting meds tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 08:46:51 pm »
Welcome to the Forum, sorry you need us but glad you found us . 

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.