Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:08:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37650
  • Latest: rovipa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773277
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 302
Total: 304

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Stopping Truvada because of osteoporosis  (Read 4520 times)

Offline Veritee

• Post Natal Illness Support
Stopping Truvada because of osteoporosis
« on: January 06, 2014, 10:57:20 am »
I have quite severe osteroporosis - might or might not be due to Truvada (emtricitabine and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate) which is a component of Atripla, but could also just be something I would have got anyway. I am 60.

I have been advised not to stop Atripla but to take meds to protect my bones and stop them getting worse.

I have tried taking once weekly Alendronate (Fosamax). It did not agree with me and anyway have just been told I need something more than this/

They want me to have zoledronic acid as an intravenous (IV) dose in hospital.
Has anyone had this and what were the effects, how did it go?

Should I also change my HIV med from Atripla.
What do you think?
I have a blog here, please do not judge me on what I say here- I need to offload and this is where I do it: http://hiv-and-us.blogspot.com/

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Stopping Truvada because of osteoporosis
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 11:05:47 am »
Hi Veritee, long time no see.

I removed your post from a nearly four-year-old thread where you posted it. This way you'll get answers to your own question instead of people talking to the original poster of the other thread, which would only confuse things. It's always better to start your own thread when you have specific treatment questions, rather than piggy-backing onto someone else's.

Can you take Ziagen (abacavir)? You'd need to have the sensitivity test first. If you can take it, you could switch out the Truvada portion of the Atripla for Kivexa and change the Sustiva portion out to something else as well.

Why does your doctor want to keep you on Atripla?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 11:18:48 am »
Hello

The drug in question that may be hurting your bones is tenofovir. So like Ann says perhaps you can just swap this for abacavir. There may be some caution on abacaviur for older folk becuase it seems to raise the risk of heart attack. But this said, you can construct a decent combination without tenofovir or abacavir, several these days.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline rocky48

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 12:45:44 pm »

Switching from Atripla

« on: December 17, 2013, 07:45:45 PM »

Wondering if anyone has had bone thinning while on Atripla.  I started on Atripla  April 23, 2011 and my bone density test shows some bone thinning as of Dec. 2, 2013. My PCP is thinking it maybe from the Atripla or my parathyroid. My id doctor said, Atripla can in a few cases cause this problem. So, he has now started me on Norvir, Epzicon and Reyataz. He also told me if the endocrinologist fines the problem to be from my thyroid I could which back to the Atripla. 

Anyone have opinion. By the way I am 65.
Started Atripla on 4/23/11
5/27/11   CD4 - 572 VL - 130
9/30/11   CD4 - 566 VL - UD
3/23/12   CD4 - 640 VL - UD
9/21/12   CD4 - 699 VL - UD
Switched to Triumeq its been a couple years now.
8/27/18   CD4 - 756  VL - UD

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 03:25:01 pm »
I was diagnosed with osteoporosis and I'm only in my 40's.  My doctor indicated that it was probably the tenofovir.  The preferred course of action would be a med change.  Due to severe resistance issues, I had to settle for taking Boniva.

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 04:12:28 pm »
How about Tivicay and Epzicom (kivexa),  then when the one pill combo is approved you could take that and you would still only have one pill to take each day.

Could also use this as an excuse to get off the Atripla,  seems to be the consensus these days as not many people are prescribed it as a new med  these days.   Seems to be a hold over from the past. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline alberche

• a distancia del mundo incierto, saludo mi suerte
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 06:59:10 pm »
Dear Veritee,

I had the same problem 4 years ago. My doc changed my meds from Truvada+Reyataz to Truvada+Intellence (Etravirine, an NNRTI). And, a year later, to Kivexa+Intellence.

It seemed to partially stop bone density loss. But I haven't recovered the density I lost in those first years on treatment. As my condition is not too severe so far, my doc is treating me with D vitamine supplements, tocopherol, and I am doing some exercise and taking sunbaths everytime the wheather permits it.

I am 47 years old right now.

Talk to your doc on the possibility of a medication change. Maybe this will help you to stop it or even improve your bone density.

I wish you will be better.

Regards,

8)
love is blindness...  a wonderful song!

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 11:24:23 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about the bone issues, but glad to hear it has been diagnosed, so appropriate changes and monitoring can be done. 

Before starting meds, particularly a tenovir-containing regimen, is it recommended to have a baseline bone scan done?  That way you can see where things were before the med, so you aren't wondering whether it was there all along?

Offline sfpvguy41

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 02:15:01 am »
I wrote this detailed post about my experience a while back, was told it was helpful by some so hope it helps you.

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=50523.msg605215#msg605215
Labs: (undetectable since 2005)
12/13: 634 cdr, 37.3%, 758 cd8, total chol 183, triglycerides 131
8/13: changed to Edurant from Reyataz
12/12: 828 cd4, 34.5%, 1078 cd8, total chol 192, tri 196
12/11: 787 cd4, 37%, 979 cd8.
9/11: 758 cd4, 38%, 944 cd8, und.
8/11 dropped norvir, incr reyataz to 400 mg
6/11: 621 CD4 CD4% 41, CD8 680! Undetectable. Creatinine and eGFR are ok now.
Switched from Truvada to Epzicom in late April 2011
AGT/AST and creatinine back to normal mid-April.
Cut Norvir from regimen.
Switched back to Reyataz/Norvir late Feb 2011
2/11: CD4 664 34%, CD8 963, diagnosed with osteoporosis, high AGT/AST and creatinine.
12/10: CD4: 676 CD4%: 34 CD8: 1012
Switched from Reyataz/norvir to Isentress 10/10
8/10: CD4: 731 CD4%: 40 CD8: 866
Diagnosed Sept. 2002 started meds May 2005.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.