Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:53:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 243
Total: 247

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: pcp  (Read 4833 times)

Offline angelgaby

pcp
« on: February 18, 2010, 04:49:37 pm »
anyone know beginning signs of pcp..doc told me starting meds it can happen..feeling a bit crappy and a little nervous

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
Re: pcp
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 05:08:15 pm »
If you feel crappy and you just started meds, please, call your doctor. 

That's not to say that you will need to live the whole rest of your life stepping on eggshells.  Once you have been on meds for a while and are stable and all you can go back to your normal routine with your doctor.  But your doc would probably appreciate it if you erred on the side of cautioun when you first start up.

That said, PCP doesn't seem like the most likely thing to rear its head when you start meds. Is your tcell count under 200?   If so, you should be on Bactrim or Dapsone to prevent pcp anyway.   And if you are above 200, PCP is pretty rare.

But do take care of yourself.  It is good to be cautious at the start.
A

5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 06:28:59 pm »
Pretty sure PCP starts with a terrible cough that won't go away.  Starting your meds would in no way incur the wrath of the PCP gods though.

Unless of course you're taking PCP (Angeldust) in which case who knows what could happen? Amirite?!

No, in all seriousness, any new medication may make you feel a little off while your body gets accustomed to having it in the system.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 06:31:28 pm »
Dry unproductive cough and an increasing level of breathlessness as the fluid filled cysts reduce your lung capacity.

MtD

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 07:07:56 pm »
i never had a cough. I felt I had the flu. On day #7 when I could barely lift my head from the pillow and had thrown up once an hour for 6 hours, I went to the ER and found out it was PCP. Two years later the same symptoms still without coughing (on day #5) sent me to the hospital to be diagnosed with "regular" pnuemonia. Flu-like symptoms still scare me still 10 years later ;)

increasing level of breathlessness
it was quite amazing how not having enough O2 in your blood will weaken you. Lifting my head or a hand was nearly more than I could accomplish.

Starting your meds would in no way incur the wrath of the PCP gods though.
the OP didn't post any numbers; but if he's starting meds because his tcells are below 200 (mine were only 5 when I had PCP), it's quite possible the doc warned that PCP might still be a possiblity until the OP's meds have had sufficient time to work. It's quite possible, if his counts were very low and viral load high, that the OP still could be in danger of an OI for several more weeks, until the prescribed meds begin to fight off the HIV and his immune system recovers sufficiently.

Keep taking your meds, Angel, and if you're feeling quite "flu-ish" (rather than feeling a possible side effect from the meds) then contact your doctor.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline angelgaby

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 07:31:06 pm »
my t cell count is around 50, that was about three weeks before starting meds.  im having horrible back pain and some heavy feeling in my chest.. i dont want to be dramatic an call dr if its somethng from meds..it didnt start until a few days ago. i tried ben gay, pain killers but nothing really doing trick. may just have to call doc, i dont need anymore bad news. :(

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 07:41:35 pm »
Angel,

It sounds like a call to the sawbones might be a wise decision.

MtD

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 07:49:06 pm »
my t cell count is around 50, that was about three weeks before starting meds.
with an immune system that damaged, you aren't being dramatic, you're just being cautious. There'll be plenty of times in the years ahead to debate on whether to contact the doctor or go to an ER. Less than a month from having a cd count that low is not the time to dicker, it's the time to take aggressive action against any illness so it doesn't end up being something you can't fight off.

best wishes! contact you doc tomorrow, or go to the ER. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 08:00:35 pm »
Hi Angel,

Are you currently  on Bactrim or Dapsone.  If not, you should be, if your t-cell count is below 200.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline LikeaRock

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 04:23:24 pm »
PCP?

THE COUGH FROM HELL![/b]\

Followed by shortness of breath when moving- AT ALL.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 07:18:14 pm »
my t cell count is around 50, that was about three weeks before starting meds.  im having horrible back pain and some heavy feeling in my chest.. i dont want to be dramatic an call dr if its somethng from meds..it didnt start until a few days ago. i tried ben gay, pain killers but nothing really doing trick. may just have to call doc, i dont need anymore bad news. :(

angel, with 50 tcells you are definitely not being dramatic.  call the doctor if you have any worries and definitely make sure you're on a propholactic (Bactrim is recommended most often but you'll be given Dapson if you, like me, are allergic to sulfa drugs.

as for pcp, I first had fever, night sweats, couldn't walk more than two blocks without almost passing out for lack of air.  the coughs came a little later for me but I didn have a heavy chest.

Good luck!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.