Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:28:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 503
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 446
Total: 447

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Took double dose of ATRIPLA last night.  (Read 14539 times)

Offline blondbeauty

Took double dose of ATRIPLA last night.
« on: March 17, 2010, 11:33:13 am »
I realized it after taking the second pill. Today my entire body feels numb, specialy my hands and it is like watching reality from outside my body. Funny feeling.
Tonight I am going to miss a dose on purpose (it is the first time since I started treatment) but I feel so intoxicated...I think my body needs a rest for tomorrow.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline David_CA

Re: Took double dose of ATRIPLA last night.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 12:04:11 pm »
I realized it after taking the second pill. Today my entire body feels numb, specialy my hands and it is like watching reality from outside my body. Funny feeling.
Tonight I am going to miss a dose on purpose (it is the first time since I started treatment) but I feel so intoxicated...I think my body needs a rest for tomorrow.

I don't know that I'd skip a dose.  Before doing so, I'd certainly check with a medical professional.  I took a double dose a couple years ago.  It was weird, but I took the next dose as scheduled.  I'd rather err on the side of 100% compliance (what I've managed, so far).
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline dhivpol

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 12:34:16 pm »
Do not skip the dose. Even though you took twice the amount last time, you still need to take Atripla due to the Sustevia. If not, you do have a chance of resisting against Atripla.
Live, Love, and be Happy.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 12:34:53 pm »

Was there atleast some time in between the doses?  I've done this myself a couple of times and I did skip my next dose, but I didn't allow myself a full 48 hrs between doses.  I cut that day in half and took it in the afternoon, so it was about 36 hrs between doses.  Then I slowly bled my dosage time by a hour each day till I was back to my original dosage time.  Like you, I figured my body could use a break after my mistake.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 01:22:58 pm »
Yes I took them almost at the same time (before and after brushing my teeth) by mistake. I dont thing ONE gap of 48 hours in four years of treatment will make any difference...
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 05:25:21 pm »
To be honest, I wouldn't worry about (just) 1 day off the meds under the circumstances.

Soz you were numbed and spaced out, not a nice feeling.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline MarkB

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 08:09:03 pm »
Newt is the expert on these matters, but I did exactly the same thing a few months ago and when I rang, the London clinic told me (a) not to worry; and (b) not to miss the next dose. But then again, I've only been on Atripla since September and it might be different for someone in my circumstances.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 08:10:35 pm by MarkB »

Offline blackwingbear

• Hello, all you happy people....
    • THE DARK MIND OF BLACKWINGBEAR
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 11:15:15 pm »

I wouldn't skip a dose.... You might risk resistance..
It's all a sham. Politics is a big game, same as the media - and same as religion. The point is to distract & control. If we're looking at what they tell us is the "big issue", we're not looking at what they are doing. In time, there will be different causes and different minorities to pick-on. All in the name of keeping the system going, and the people distracted.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 11:37:48 pm »
skipping one dose has not been proven to cause resistance. The resistance mutation happens when too low a level of med is in the patient's system for an amount of time allowing the virus to mutate against the weakened attack of the med.

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Resistance_4740.shtml
Poor treatment adherence: In order for HIV drugs to work correctly, they must be taken exactly as prescribed. Skipping doses or not taking your medication correctly can cause the amount of an HIV drug to decrease in the bloodstream. If the drug level becomes too low, HIV can reproduce more freely and accumulate additional mutations.

http://ukpmc.ac.uk/articlerender.cgi?tool=pubmed&pubmedid=18728842
Providers strive to enhance adherence in HIV patients and view a 95% adherence rate to the treatment regimen as capable of producing the greatest treatment effect and diminishing the likelihood of resistant strains from developing (Vervoort et al 2006).

In this case the OP does not have too little med in his system but an overdose. Taking the one day off to allow himself to get back onto schedule and to REDUCE the amount of med in his system sounds reasonable, especially if his vl is under control and if he has not had other adherence issues.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline blackwingbear

• Hello, all you happy people....
    • THE DARK MIND OF BLACKWINGBEAR
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 11:43:39 pm »
skipping one dose has not been proven to cause resistance. The resistance mutation happens when too low a level of med is in the patient's system for an amount of time allowing the virus to mutate against the weakened attack of the med. In this case the OP does not have too little med in his system but an overdose. Taking the one day off to allow himself to get back onto schedule and to REDUCE the amount of med in his system sounds reasonable, especially if his vl is under control and if he has not had other adherence issues.

Right on. I didn't think about that!
It's all a sham. Politics is a big game, same as the media - and same as religion. The point is to distract & control. If we're looking at what they tell us is the "big issue", we're not looking at what they are doing. In time, there will be different causes and different minorities to pick-on. All in the name of keeping the system going, and the people distracted.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 11:53:19 pm »
Doesn't Atripla, or the Sustiva, have a long half-life?  I was reading how some now believe they can do 5 days on and 2 days off.  I don't think many professionals are okay with this thinking.  I know I've read questions to the docs on thebody about missing a dose.  They've all said it shouldn't be a big deal.  I believe they all said they wouldn't make a habit of it.

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 08:18:52 am »
Thank you all for your reasonable opinions. I finally skipped the dose and just woke up feeling good and fresh. The sensation of intense heat on my face has also gone. Tonight I will take my meds as usual. Even if my levels of medication are below the normal levels for today I am sure my cells are charged with enough medication to stop the virus from replicating after 4 years on meds and being undetectable. People that stop treatment usually need two weeks or so to become detectable again...

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 10:42:41 am »
Even if my levels of medication are below the normal levels for today I am sure my cells are charged with enough medication to stop the virus from replicating after 4 years on meds and being undetectable. People that stop treatment usually need two weeks or so to become detectable again...

That's the important thing to consider in this particular case: that you are undetectable and have been on meds for a while.

Skipping even one dose would be more of a concern if a person is not yet undetectable and/or had only been a meds a short time.

Offline clsoca

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 06:57:36 pm »
My ID Doc advised me to be at least 95% compliant while undetectable. If detectable, you must be 100% compliant.
10/07 Infected
11/07 Seroconversion
07/08 Tested Poz
07/08 VL 487  CD4 658  (No Meds)
10/08 VL 286  CD4 724  (No Meds)
01/24/09 VL 30,100   CD4 329 CD4 30% (No Meds)
02/06/09 VL 44,000   CD4 367 CD4 36%  Blood Work @ UCLA (No Meds)
02/06/09 VL 44,000   CD4 317 CD4 35% Blood Work @ USC (No Meds)
02/12/09 VL 52,000   CD4 297 CD4 29%
02/12/09  Started Atripla
04/01/09 VL 60  CD4 667   CD4 48%
06-05-09  VL UD CD4 427   CD4 39%

Offline Esquare

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 05:46:47 pm »
I screwed up and took two Atripla on one day also.  I felt really weird the next day.  From then on I invested in a pill box to make sure I didn't make this mistake again.  My doc laughed at me about it, it was kind of funny I guess.

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 08:47:35 pm »
I think missing one pill in 3 years and 7 months is more than 95% adherence, isn´t it?

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Resistance/Current/Q189786.html
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 09:08:28 pm by blondbeauty »

Offline kev72

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2010, 03:13:04 pm »
Hello Gang,

I went through a brain fog this morning and could not remember if I took my Atripla or not. I remember saying to myself "Oh its time to take my pills" then went I went to the bottle I seemed to remember taking them. I am also taking Flucozinol and started that the same day as Atripla so I counted both pills. Go figure I was 1 short on the Atripla and 1 extra Flucozinol based on the calender days and what I had left.

I called my pharmacist who is pretty educated with the HIV meds and he said I should just take one to be on the safe side and take one tomorrow at my normal time. He said taking it twice can not hurt.

As far as side effects, I am sure I doubled the dose now because 3 hours later, I am much more dizzier than normal. Like when I first started the medication. It is not a bad feeling, just a spaced out feeling.
I am lucky I do not have to work until later tonight, so its not so bad laying around.

For what its worth, I should have put my meds into daily cases. My parents who are supplement fanatics gave me some large pill boxes (7 day) which lock and hold a massive amount to pills so I am going to use them from now on. I believe they purchased the boxes at AC More or Michael's where they sell them for craft stuff.

Offline BrotherDavid

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2010, 07:06:50 pm »
I went through a brain fog this morning and could not remember if I took my Atripla or not. I remember saying to myself "Oh its time to take my pills" then went I went to the bottle I seemed to remember taking them. I am also taking Flucozinol and started that the same day as Atripla so I counted both pills. Go figure I was 1 short on the Atripla and 1 extra Flucozinol based on the calender days and what I had left.

For what its worth, I should have put my meds into daily cases. My parents who are supplement fanatics gave me some large pill boxes (7 day) which lock and hold a massive amount to pills so I am going to use them from now on. I believe they purchased the boxes at AC More or Michael's where they sell them for craft stuff.

Hello Kev,

It is good that you posted the above information. It may help others who may make this common mistake. Please let us know if you have any other side effects tomorrow after you take you're next scheduled dose.

The Pill boxes are a good idea. Since I take a load of supplements daily also, I am always looking for larger pill boxes. I never thought of the craft shops for these. Thank You for the heads up.

Offline kev72

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2010, 08:10:47 pm »
Hello Kev,

Please let us know if you have any other side effects tomorrow after you take you're next scheduled dose.

Thanks David,

Funny you asked if I have gotten any other side effects later from the double dose. I am sitting here at work, and I feel a third eye growing out of the side of my head... Kidding, I actually feel no different than usual.

I do hope that this means I have adjusted to Atripla with minimal side effects and can continue taking it. I get my first lab results this coming Wednesday.

Kev

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 08:35:55 am »
your dizziness sounds alot like my first time taking Atripla.  I felt outside my body and worried that this was how I was going to be for the rest of my life.  luckily, it was the worst for the first day and gone back to normal life after a week.  i do not feel that it will hurt you but mention to your doctor and make sure your number are ok.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 10:10:42 am »
Last night I dreamed I made a butter cake with butter cream icing and some kid in my dream asked for sprinkles and I only had peanut M&Ms.  But when I was half finished pressing the M&Ms into the frosting all over the cake, I realised they were truvada pills.  So I got a bag of M&Ms (they were pastel and multiculored - how would I have mistaken truvada for these, hmmm?) and then I refrosted the cake correctly but while i was frosting the cake, i started eating the m&ms absent mindedly, and again I realised after I had eaten a few, they were truvada pills from an open bottle on the table, not the m&ms.

hmmm
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline kev72

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 11:20:23 am »
Wow Mecch, funny how we become so conscious of our meds that they become part of our dreams...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.