Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:33:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 543
Total: 543

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Protein  (Read 8749 times)

Offline Force1

Protein
« on: January 12, 2007, 04:18:04 pm »
I am using Carnation instant milk for protein suppliment.

Anyone else using any kind of added suppliments?

I want to gain weight darn it, and im gonna do it come hell or high water!

Offline bear60

Re: Protein
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 04:39:57 pm »
I dont know Force.  Seems to me Carnation Instant Milk would be a calcium supplement. But what do I know.
I think a protein supplement is peanut butter and ?
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Force1

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 04:51:58 pm »
Protein 8g

Calcium 30%

there is a formula for multiplying weigh to find out what protien you need to intake, I dont know if I can find that formula.

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 11:02:39 am »
I would caution you to not OVER consume protien... make sure you are also getting lots of fresh fruits, whole grains and veggies in your diet.  Nuts have more calories.  Maybe doing some weight training?

Drew

High-Protein Diets Associated With Increased Cancer Risk

A new study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that high protein intakes are associated with an increased cancer risk. Washington University researchers evaluated the relationship between diet and certain plasma growth factors and hormones that are linked to cancer. The study's “low-protein” group, who consumed the recommended amount of protein from plant sources (approximately 10 percent of calories), had significantly lower blood levels of IGF-1 (hormone substances associated with premenopausal breast and prostate cancer) than two high-protein groups consuming 17 percent of calories as protein from mostly meat and dairy products.

Fontana L, Klein S, Holloszy JO. Long-term low-protein, low-calorie diet and endurance exercise modulate metabolic factors associated with cancer risk. Am J Clin Nutr 2006;84:1456-1462.

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 11:46:12 am »
Hey Force....
BALANCE is the key.....and that can be different for each one of us.   I take my Sustiva in the morning (3 doses of 200mg each spaced about 3 hours apart) so I make sure my morning diet is low fat (fat intake increases the weird effects of sustiva) while my "late day" diet can be higher in fat.  In the morning I do a shake which is high in protein and carbs since I am active throughout the day and my body can use that extra protein and carb intake.  So evaluate YOUR needs and consume accordingly.

Be Well....

Craig

PS....If you want to have more direct control over protein specifically try using a protein powder available at any vitamin store...they are available in flavors to mix with water or you can make a shake with fruit and juice etc.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 12:02:13 pm by mrtallguy »
I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline Force1

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 01:25:24 pm »
I am very active, that stick im holing weigh's in at about 100lbs.

I actively lift 3 or 4 days a week.

I take 2 or 3 diffrent events and practice days im not lifiting.

Events consist of,

stone,shot put

light and heavy weight for distance 28 and 42lb weights

cabers, practice with cabers that are from 80lbs to 120lbs

hammers practice hammer and 16lb hammer

weight for height=42lbs

Yea the secreat is to take in more calories than you burn, toss in a few suppliments and some instant milk for extra, and WHERE IS THE WEIGHT I WANT TO GAIN?

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 05:21:55 pm »
I AM NO NUTRITIONAL EXPERT BUT I DO KNOW THAT 8gm OF PROTEIN IS NOT MUCH OF A SUPPLEMENT. YOU MAY WANT TO CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR ABOUT HOW TO GAIN MUSCLE MASS CONSIDERING ALL OF THAT ACTIVITIY YOU ARE ENGAGING IN.....OR BETTER YET CONSULT A SPORTS TRAINER AND THEN TAKE HIS RECOMMENDATIONS TO YOUR DOC TO MAKE SURE IT IS MEDICALLY SOUND....GOOD LUCK!

BE WELL....

CRAIG
I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 10:15:00 pm »
My two cents ..

Protein is very hard on the kidneys !  Lot's of protein in the diet is a modern invention so as with all things, do it in moderation.  Most dieticians recommend no more than 4-6 oz of protein per meal so take it from there.  Most people have more than enough protein in their diet.
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline bear60

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 12:18:42 pm »
http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/nutrition/a/aa060101a.htm
Force: I found this interesting maybe you will find it helpful too.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Force1

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 02:46:25 pm »
Thanks,

" while a 150lb bodybuilder would need 61g protein. "

I just sprinkled about two teaspoons of instant milk in with a big bowl of mac-n-cheese

im gaining, kinda glad for bad weather it will allow me to eat a bit more and not work it off as fast.

Offline egello

• cb
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2007, 12:57:07 am »
if you can tolerate dairy, maybe lots of good quality milk products, such as Stoney Field kind.

Milk, from reading its content to specific mineral level, is very very close to being a perfect food.

I wouldn't personally go with power stuff since its processed to death to get it to that level.

NDREW

btw, you look hot, anyhoo, those studies never mention what kind of protein they were eating nor how they were cooked. Often protein rich food has tons of cholestrol and when cholestrol is highly heated or oxidized before consuming, you are basically consuming poison. However, good quality all natural protein cooked certain safe way, I just don't see anything wrong with it.
1/29/07 14 T, 300 k V, 1.8 %
2/22/07 197 T, 247 V, 6.8 %
3/27/07 164 T, <50 V, 5.4 %
5/28/07 177 T, <50 V, 8.2 %
7/28/07 214 T, <50 V, 9.6 %
10/3/07 380 T, <50 V, 10 %

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.