Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:45:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 316
Total: 317

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Is this A Risk  (Read 16784 times)

Offline thatguy559

Is this A Risk
« on: July 02, 2008, 03:57:41 pm »
Okay Im a little worried i had sex with a girl about 6 times with condoms but one time i was inside for about 20 seconds with out.  She performed oral on me with out a condom for about 30 seconds.

This all happen from the time period from May 10th to May22nd

Around June 5th i had a white coated tongue and sore throat that still is the same but not as bad. The doctor said its from all the acid reflux
I lost about 12 pounds
had diarrhea for about 5 days and then followed by constipation for about 7 days.
for about a 4 days all i did was lay in bed thinking i caught something. I had no energy to get up out of bed.
I felt like the lymph nodes by my jaw were swollen but not really sure how i was suppose to check them.

June 9th I tested negative but i dont think that was enough time so tomorrow i get tested using the rapid oral testvwhich is about 41 days from my last sexual act with her. Is that enough time?

Also she got tested and got her results recently she is negative. Am i worrying too much was my acts even risky. Im so scared, i dont even want to go alone to the Dr. tomorrow 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: I get tested tomorrow.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 05:27:22 pm »
OK. Your symptoms are not in any way HVI-specific, which is not a suirprise because that very, very brief period without a condom hardly even amounts to a risk. The incidents in which you wore a condom are not of concern. Condoms provide very effective protection so those were not risky.

HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It's significantly harder to accomplish from female to male. Given this was a single and very brief happening I expect you will test negative.

In your case I would consider testing to be strictly a formality.

If your symptoms persist I suggest you discuss them with your doctor. I don't even remotely see this as an HIV situation.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline thatguy559

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 08:25:15 pm »
Okay thanks Andy you calmed me down a bit

Well the thing that scares me the most is that i had a sore throat since about June 5th

Offline thatguy559

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 04:28:07 pm »
My results were negative

I talked to the doctor and he explained the whole window period to me which confused me. I thought i had read here the avg person develops antibodies within 22 days. He gave me a chart that said 90 to 95% of the antibodies show up at 3 months. He pretty much told me todays results had no significance.

and also I didnt know window periods can start all over with a positive person if they just infected their partner and they have sex and it just goes back and fourth.

So does that mean if someone who has been positive for a few years gets infected from another positive person and gets tested it wont show up?

Hopefully im making some type of sense

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 06:19:45 pm »
That,

The window period for hiv testing is three months. That means when there has been a risk, the only conclusive negative result is one at three months.

However. It's unlikely for you to have been infected from being unprotected in a positive vagina for 20 seconds.

I really do not expect your negative result to change at the three month point.

I don't get what you're going on about concerning positive people being reinfected. You're not positive nor are you likely to be from the incident you're worried about. It's a moot point where you're concerned.

Again, I do not expect your negative result to change at the three month point.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is as simple as that.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline thatguy559

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 03:21:54 pm »
Okay im a little confused on when the antibodies show up. I am very sure i read the average is about 22 days on here somewhere and its not conclusive but past the 22 days period is reliable. In my case 41 days is a good testing time period right???

Ann let me try to explain what the doctor had told me again.

He said lets say someone is positive and they infected someone through sex. The window period starts after they had sex. 3 weeks later they have sex a few more times and the window period starts all over again, at the last time they had sex.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 04:30:17 pm »
You never read on this forum that any test after 22 days is conclusive. What you read is most people will test positive at 6-8 weeks post exposure but you will need to take a 3 month conclusive test.

Offline thatguy559

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 05:14:50 pm »
#5 If you insist on testing for piece of mind do it at 6 weeks after the most recent sexual incident you are concerned about. For future reference, the average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus. An exposure which I hasten to add you didn't have.   
\

This is what i must of read, so what exactly does this mean. seroconvert?

i tested at about 41 days thats within 4-6 weeks. 

Sorry guys im just afraid like everyone else. The last  coupls of days my whole jaw and neck area feel swollen.
I know everyone says i wasnt at risk but i keep thinking what if the condom broke and we didnt notice.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 05:25:20 pm »
Seroconversion is where one goes from negative to positive.

If the condom failed? Had the condom failed you would have damn sure known it failed.

Offline thatguy559

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2008, 05:31:32 pm »
Thanks Rod,

so when you say Seroconversion from negative to positive doesn't mean the test can detect it right? So my test at about 41 days meant nothing?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2008, 06:37:15 pm »
Most people test positive by 6-8 weeks. For a conclusive negative result it's 3 months post exposure.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 07:54:54 pm »
The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the very smallest numbers of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the virus. (I think Rod probably meant to say 4-6 weeks as well.) 

A negative result  at 41 days is actually a very good indication that a test result at 13 weeks is going to be negative again.
Andy Velez

Offline thatguy559

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2008, 02:02:06 am »
Thanks to the both of you.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 08:18:24 am »
You're welcome. Glad you found the exchanges to be helpful.
Andy Velez

Offline thatguy559

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 10:07:26 pm »
Just another question should I test again before the 13th week?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 11:03:12 pm »
No. The test at 13 weeks will be sufficient.

MtD

Offline pleasehelp2431

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2008, 12:18:42 pm »
very brief period without a condom hardly even amounts to a risk.

why if penetration occurs for short amount of time it is much less a risk than say penetration which has been on going for half hour say when say bodily fluids from both sexes have come incontact with one another?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 12:35:19 pm »
pleasehelp2431, DO NOT post in any thread other than your own. Take the time to read the posting guidelines of this forum. 

Offline thatguy559

How come?
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 03:11:36 pm »
I was thinking and now i have a question. How come the 4 different times I went to get tested for HIV in my life time. They always say to be tested at 3 months and 6 months for a conclusive test and they were all different doctors who told me the information.

They never mentioned the 4-6 weeks is when most people will test positive.  Just curious

Offline RapidRod

Re: How come?
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 03:14:09 pm »
Keep all your questions and concerns in your ORGINAL thread. Your question will not be answered until it is posted in your ORGINAL thread.

Offline thatguy559

Re: How come?
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2008, 03:30:58 pm »
sorry

Offline thatguy559

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2008, 03:31:46 pm »
I was thinking and now i have a question. How come the 4 different times I went to get tested for HIV in my life time. They always say to be tested at 3 months and 6 months for a conclusive test and they were all different doctors who told me the information.

They never mentioned the 4-6 weeks is when most people will test positive.  Just curious

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2008, 03:46:15 pm »
6 months is the old guidelines. 3 months is conclusive.

Offline thatguy559

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 03:55:10 pm »
is it because of better test?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2008, 04:14:20 pm »
Yes, tests are more accurate now at an earlier date. At 13 weeks any approved test will give yoi a reliable result.

Please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread. I've merged your threads here.
Andy Velez

Offline thatguy559

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2008, 04:21:20 pm »
Sorry guys about the extra post. Thanks for answering my questions.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2008, 04:27:35 pm »
You're welcome. Glad you found the responses to be helpful.
Andy Velez

Offline thatguy559

Is this A Risk
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2008, 01:50:48 pm »
Ok on Wednesday i poked the tip of my finger with a needle and a bleed a little bit. I totally forget all about it until this morning.

Last night i was with a girl and there was four play involved. I was rubbing her and fingering her. Am i at risk?  I didnt have a huge open gash but do u think that little mark from the needle healed?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Is this A Risk
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2008, 02:56:17 pm »
That,

Yet again, your threads have been merged. Get with the program already.

No, you didn't have a risk.

No, you don't need to test over fingering.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple. REALLY! Read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them with confidence.

NO RISK IN FINGERING, regardless of cuts, hangnails, needle punctures etc.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline thatguy559

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2008, 04:42:46 pm »
Thank you  for the information Ann,

sorry for creating  another thread.

Offline thatguy559

« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2008, 04:29:01 am »
Sorry guys but tonight i cant sleep I just keep on sweating. Is this a sign after about 60 to 75 days after my sex act?

Im scared i tested at 9 weeks and about 6 weeks both negative.

I swear i feel like i need to go test again its hard to wait 3 more weeks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2008, 05:03:36 am »
that,

Sweating at night is a sign of... sweating at night. It's nothing to do with hiv.

Your nine week negative result is NOT going to change. Stay productively busy - and off internet hiv websites - while you wait to take your confirmatory three month test.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline thatguy559

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2008, 05:14:49 am »
Thanks

I Just found it odd that i was sweating because i have the AC going and a fan.

Another question how long does it take to detect gonorrhea, chlamydia, etc. All I can  find is the time the symptoms are most likely to appear.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2008, 05:30:15 am »
That,

You can test for most other STIs ten to fourteen days after having an unprotected incident. A notable exception is syphilis, which shares a three month window for a conclusive negative result. Also like hiv, syphilis can be detected by around six weeks, but only three months is conclusive for a negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline thatguy559

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2008, 03:40:37 pm »
Just another question

Is the Rapid Orasure test, i think thats what its called would it be the same as them drawling blood from my arm? Like the same results as in detecting antibodies. I hope that make sense

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2008, 04:36:00 pm »
that,

The OraSure Rapid test also tests for hiv antibodies. If you've read the Welcome Thread like you're supposed to, you will have seen the link to our Testing Lesson. If you read it you won't have to ask us these questions.

As I've told you, your nine week negative result is not going to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline thatguy559

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2008, 01:19:58 am »
is a running nose a sign of ars

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2008, 01:24:18 am »
No, but it's a good sign of contracting a cold, sinus infection or an allergy.

Offline thatguy559

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2008, 02:37:08 pm »
I'm stressing all over again

Ok I had sex and received oral sex about 20 days ago both with a condom on.

A few days later i noticed the head of penis was very red like irritated. Little red spots which the doctor said they were not herpes.  They went away and now they are back again. Now i think i got herpes and did the condom fail and what if i got something else. All my test came out negative. So my 11th week hiv test came out negative from my last exposure now i got to do it again because the protected sex acts i did about 20 days ago

I know i used a condom. Maybe the red spots are like an allergic reaction i dunno. Im just stressing, i think i may have to seek help because i dont think i will ever be the same with sex. Ill try to stay away from posting here. i just need to get this off my mind

Offline thatguy559

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2008, 03:54:03 pm »
should i be worried

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2008, 04:05:02 pm »
that,

No, you shouldn't be worried where hiv is concerned. If you are worried in general, go back to your doctor, show him the spots again and tell him you want diagnostic investigation.

Whatever is going on with you has nothing to do with hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline thatguy559

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2008, 09:21:39 pm »
One of the symptoms during ars says weight loss

After all of that is done does the person gain their weight back?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2008, 10:10:49 pm »
Guy, you have been coming here long enough and ought to be familiar enough with transmission information through our lesson and responses you have received. You do seem to want a lot of handholding about any little thought about HIV that comes into your head.

Please re-read things that have been said to you and re-read the lesson on transmission and transfer that information to ongoing situations.
Andy Velez

Offline thatguy559

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2008, 10:22:00 pm »
Sorry its just this week i was going to go test for my conclusive test about 14 weeks... and just thinking

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2008, 02:08:05 am »
I hope you are also re-reading this thread. There was NO RISK insofar as HIV is concerned.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.