Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:59:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 231
Total: 233

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: waiting for test results...  (Read 5458 times)

Offline hello

waiting for test results...
« on: June 16, 2010, 08:34:32 pm »
Hi everyone.  Not sure where to post this, or if someone else has already started a siimilar thread.  Anyone out there currently waiting for their HIV test results??  I took an oral test two days ago, and I should get the results within about a week.  I am pretty low-risk, but not no-risk, and that remote possibility of a positive result is wearing on my nerves.  I went to this place to get a free anonymous oral test, but it turns out their website was mistaken; it claimed they offered rapid result oral tests, but that isn't the case as they only offer standard oral tests which have to be sent in to the state health dept's lab.  Well, I guess since I took the test the worst is over, but damn this waiting period thing is torture.  i don't think I am infected, but if I was sure I wouldn't be taking the test.  Its been 4 years since my last HIV test and the reason its been so long is because I have been too much of a chicken to actually get tested.  I've even gone as far as making an appointment, letting friends know, then no-showing the appointment and telling everyone the results were negative.  I think I finally reached the point where I couldn't live with this in the back of my mind anymore and forced myself to get tested.  I even signed a waiver allowing the counselor to call me with the results.  She cannot disclose positive results over the phone, but if its negative she will tell me over the phone.  Basically, with her phone call, I will be able to deduce the results of the test.  I think perhaps a part of this nagging anxiety (in the back of my mind, doesn't bother me at work or school) has to do with guilt over poor decisions I made a long time ago (ie. getting drunk and having one-night-stands with random women using condoms only haphazardly, geting drunk and picking up prostitutes using protection haphazardly, getting drunk and experimenting with the same sex).  Very stupid decisions, I know, but I don't do those things anymore, and only experimented with the guy once (turns out I'm pretty straight, but that is irrelevant since HIV is indiscriminate), and was stupid enough to not use protection (very naive at that point about how HIV is transmitted).  Now I'm just hoping to hell that I didn't lose my game of sexual russian roulette now that I finally got the balls to go get tested.  Anyhow I was just looking for a place to vent where I could be totally honest for once (I wouldn't even tell my best friend about my previous risk factors) and not be judged.  Man, it feels so much better finally getting this off my chest (I even lied to the HIV counselor about my risk factors).  Is there anyone out there who is going through this same ordeal right now??
peace

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: waiting for test results...
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 08:42:56 pm »
The appropriate place for you to discuss your HIV testing issues is in our Am I Infected? forum, nowhere else.

Such a discussion is not appropriate for Off Topic. You might want to review the AMI Welcome Thread and familiarise yourself with the posting guidelines.

I have flagged this thread for Moderator review.

MtD

Offline hello

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 08:47:30 pm »
Ok, so how do I move this thread to the Am I Infected? area??
peace

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 08:48:44 pm »
Ok, so how do I move this thread to the Am I Infected? area??

A Moderator will attend to that directly.

MtD

Offline hello

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 08:52:50 pm »
Looks like Any moved it while I was sending him a PM asking him how to move it.
peace

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 08:54:13 pm »
Hi,

I have moved your thread into this Forum which is where it belongs. You did the not easy but smart thing by getting tested. HIV status is never something to guess about. It's harder to transmit HIV from female to male rather than the other way round, so that works in your favor for a negative result.

You need to learn from this experience. Hopefully you will test negative. In the future you need  to wear a condom every time you have vaginal or anal intercourse. No exceptions. No matter what you think you know about a person's history or how great they look, a condom is a must.

I notice you have been posting in the research section. Technically that is allowable but what is NOT allowable is telling other people "screw you." Leave all chips on your shoulder at the door, please, no matter which forum you are writing in.

Good luck with your test result. We'll be waiting to hear.
Andy Velez

Offline hello

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 09:01:05 pm »
Actually Andy, that was years ago and Ann and I have already discussed this issue.  I admitted that screw you is not appropriate and she admitted that RapidRod can be an abrasive jerk and she understands why I bit his head off.  She said she would be willing to look the other way on my research postings as long as I had no more spats like that.  BTW, as I discussed with Ann, I have been researching HIV in university classes for the last three years (mostly as a result of the guilt/anxiety regarding past behaviors, but at least it has enlightened me), which is why she said she didn't mind my research forum posting as long as I didn't make a stink.
peace

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 09:06:47 pm »
Actually Andy, that was years ago and Ann and I have already discussed this issue.  I admitted that screw you is not appropriate and she admitted that RapidRod can be an abrasive jerk and she understands why I bit his head off.  She said she would be willing to look the other way on my research postings as long as I had no more spats like that.  BTW, as I discussed with Ann, I have been researching HIV in university classes for the last three years (mostly as a result of the guilt/anxiety regarding past behaviors, but at least it has enlightened me), which is why she said she didn't mind my research forum posting as long as I didn't make a stink.

Andy has answered your question. You would do well to let those other matters go.

MtD

Offline hello

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 09:21:44 pm »
I have let them go; I only mentioned them because he did. 
peace

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 09:38:14 pm »

I never once said that Rodney was "an abrasive jerk". Never. I still have my PM to prove it. What I said to you was this:

Technically, you shouldn't really post in the Research Forum, but as you've never caused problems there (aside from the spat with Rodney - but he can be abrupt/rude at times, I get that), I'll continue to look the other way. And yes, I know it's been nearly two years since you posted there.

But now that you've misrepresented what I said to you to such an inflammatory extent, I've just changed my mind about allowing you to post anywhere but in this, the Am I Infected forum.

The only reason I PMd you in the first place, if you'll remember, is because I had to explain the posting guidelines of this forum to you after you made an unauthorised reply here that I had to delete.

Do not ever post outside your own thread in this forum again.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 10:08:28 pm »
OK. Let's just move on. And hopefully to your negative test result.

I had already written the above before seeing how you misrepresented Ann's comments. She has made herself quite clear, as she always does.

And I support everything she has said. 

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 10:10:11 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline hello

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 11:25:55 pm »
The results came back negative.  Its nice to finally be rid of that worry in the back of my mind.  Since I now know for a fact that I'm HIV-, there is no more reason for me to hang around these forums worrying about it.  Goodbye and good luck everyone.
peace

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 07:32:00 am »
That's happy news. Now all you have to do to protect yourself sexually from HIV is to always, with no exceptions, use condoms for vaginal and anal intercourse.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.