Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:47:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 339
Total: 339

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Slightly unusual situation - need reassurance.  (Read 7576 times)

Offline iBlue

Slightly unusual situation - need reassurance.
« on: January 10, 2012, 08:33:01 am »
I recently gave oral to a guy without knowing I had a couple of small mouth ulcers near the groove inside my bottom lip. He came on my tongue as he was pulling out my mouth and I quickly spat it out and rinsed my mouth out with water. I washed the area with soap too.

The ulcers weren't bleeding (to my knowledge), but were slightly sore and had been caused by sharp food over the Christmas period.

Am I at risk of any BBV, specifically HIV? Do I need to enquire about PEP?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 05:16:13 am by iBlue »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Slightly unusual situation - need reassurance.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 08:55:46 am »
Blue, your saliva contains over a dozen elements and proteins which very effectively prevent the transmission of viable HIV. You are worrying needlessly. There is no need for testing and certainly not for PEP.

Sexually only unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse are confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV. Use condoms for those activities every time and you will be well protected.

Other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV, so we advise that anyone who is sexually active ought to at least annually have a full STD panel done.

There's no need for HIV testing this time.
Andy Velez

Offline iBlue

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 11:36:43 am »
I appreciate that. Thanks for your input. I have been taught to worry about these things though. Even if the cum made contact with the ulcer and it's crust or my tongue rubbed against it, I have nothing to worry about?

Thanks for your help and advice. Should I be worried about anything else following this individual, isolated incident (normally I have only 1 partner and we're both very careful)?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 02:11:38 pm »
HIV is a very fragile virus. It is not transmitted in the ways about which you are concerned. Let it go and get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline iBlue

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 02:14:20 pm »
So you don't think there is any need for an HIV test or PEP?

EDIT: I appreciate your help and understand you receive lots of these requests for information, but it is so conflicting out there. I just don't want to dice with my life when I have 24 hours remaining to seek PEP if necessary.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 02:22:03 pm »
There is no need for PEP nor for an HIV test. You are worrying needlessly.

Do yourself a favor and stop surfing the net. All you will find there is more junk to feed your worst fears and all to no good purpose.
Andy Velez

Offline iBlue

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 02:34:38 pm »
Ok Andy, I will trust your judgement on this, and hopefully won't regret it!

For what it's worth, I'm not panicking as a result of surfing the net, as I know that there is so many unverified sources. I'm worried as a result of the knowledge I have been taught by health professionals, that not only claim there is a risk of HIV transmission via oral sex, but that it is increased and more likely if you have cuts, sore gums, etc... This conflicts with what I have read on here. Obviously, I am hoping that you guys have it correct.

Thanks again for your contribution.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 02:52:13 pm »
You are welcome.

We are careful about what we put out. But ultimately you have to decide what you are comfortable with. That includes in relation to your making decisions about protecting your health in terms of sexuality.

As far as we are concerned here sexual risk for HIV is about unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse.
Andy Velez

Offline iBlue

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 02:59:22 pm »
I could say you've put a little bit of doubt in my mind now with that last comment, but I'll refrain!  :-\

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 03:02:44 pm »
As far as we are concerned here sexual risk for HIV is about unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse.

I repeat the above. Those are the only CONFIRMED risks for the sexual transmission of HIV.
Andy Velez

Offline iBlue

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 03:32:17 pm »
I completely understand that. If it wasn't for the small ulcers I had, I would have no doubt. I guess part of me just thinks it is possible that if the person was infected and some cum happened to reach the ulcerated area, it could cause an infection.

Obviously I am concerned about my health and as I am 24 hours away from the end of the PEP window, I'm worried I could make the biggest mistake of my life by forgetting about this and not going for PEP.

Thanks for your patience (which is no doubt wearing thin).

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 04:09:08 pm »
I don't see PEP as warranted in your situation.
Andy Velez

Offline iBlue

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 04:46:09 pm »
You don't see it as warranted or is it absolutely not necessary?

As I said, this is my life and I am terrified I've destroyed my future (having kids etc). Should I enquire about getting it? It is available free here.

Thank you for your time and patience.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 04:58:50 pm by iBlue »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 05:05:44 pm »
If I thought you had a real risk and PEP was warranted I would have said so.

Andy Velez

Offline iBlue

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 06:00:40 pm »
I appreciate that, but I'm terrified. Can't stop thinking about it. I feel sick and I'm making myself ill with worry.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 06:38:44 pm »
As Andy says, feelings are not facts. I would be suprised if any ER doctor would prescribe such expensive and potentially toxic medication over what is essentially a no risk situation.

Use a condom for penetrative anal and vaginal sex and you will avoid HIV. It really is that simple.

*modified for spelling
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 07:04:46 pm by jkinatl2 »
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline iBlue

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 01:45:49 am »
That's potentially why I feel so terrified. I contacted the clinic and they have said I am at risk and should go in for PEP.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 01:57:43 am »
Obviously it's your call.

I would not imagine suggesting PEP over he incident as you describe it.

Please be aware that this forum will not allow you to go on and on over a no risk situation, as yours most assuredly is.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline iBlue

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 02:40:05 am »
I realise it is my call, and that is why I am having the problem. I also realise you have certain rules in the forum, and I apologise.

I just don't know what to do. From the way yourself and Andy have phrased things, it hasn't left me feeling 100% confident that I am ok - which is partly why I am still here.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 02:45:14 am »
I am sorry. There is not a 100% certainty that HIV will not mutate to an airborne virus and deccimate the human race. Science simply does not deal with absolutes.

We base this site IN science. The ONLY 100% certainty of protection from STDs is sex with your own hand, And even then, I can think offhand of several theoretical means by which an STD can be transmitted, in the extremely odd and right situations.

I will say this. Any site, or any person, professional or otherwise, who gives any event a 100% chance of happening/not happening, is dumbing down science and condescending to you.

I try not to do that.

Welcome Thread

Offline iBlue

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2012, 03:21:52 am »
I'm really sorry, but that isn't helping. All I want to know is if I am at risk.

Does the fact that I have a non-bleeding ulcer inside my bottom lip put me at risk, based on the information I gave in my original post?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2012, 03:42:32 am »
Read the posting guidelines.

Offline iBlue

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2012, 03:50:05 am »
Rod,

I am close to tears. This really isn't helping. I just want someone to tell me I will not get HIV from my experience above.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 03:59:25 am »
You never had a risk, how many times to you have to be told?

Offline greeseboga

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2012, 04:19:57 am »
I am Greeseboga. I have posted my problem too.

I am not sure if I'm permitted to give my view, but I will anyway.

Why dont you do as your heart says (get PEP). After all, the side effects will only lasts until the course is over (28 days, I think). Nothing to loose. At least you will get peace of mind and the body will start to clear the toxins once the 28 days passes (I think).

Offline iBlue

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2012, 04:50:29 am »
You never had a risk, how many times to you have to be told?

Quite a few times to be honest. It is a completely serious matter. In any case, the clinic have told me there is very low risk and I wouldn't be a candidate for PEP.

I hope that very low risk = no risk!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2012, 08:49:58 am »
Greese, it is a rule of the site that members in this Forum can write only in their own threads and not comment in the threads of other members. If you had read the opening thread at the top of the Forum you would have known that.

However well intentioned, please don't do it again or you will find yourself getting banned.
Andy Velez

Offline greeseboga

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2012, 10:26:35 am »
Okay ... sorry ....... I was not aware of this.
Sorry once again!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2012, 11:24:14 am »
OK. Onward...
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.