Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:43:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 415
Total: 417

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A "things fall apart" phase.  (Read 6413 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
A "things fall apart" phase.
« on: October 20, 2012, 09:29:26 am »
Seem to be in the middle of one of these.
First it was the espresso maker, then the coffee grinder, then the Microwave oven,
then the bathroom sink is cracking again and the pipes below disintegrating,
then the doors to the balcony and a window in the bedroom
then my own bike, then the electronic card for the city's bike sharing
then my headphones, my i-phone charger
two of the last 5 hi-tech wifi photocopies at work while i was working on them
The last incandescent bulb in my office. (bittersweet!)
a tooth on my upper left side
my left cornea
etc etc etc

Well I'm backing up this computer daily.  Because - while a lot of that above is simply inconvenient, these days about the worse is to be without something essential, daily, like your PC, or your car if you need a car, etc etc.

Is there an esoteric reason for these "entropy-things fall apart" phases?  Astrological people, witches, Freudians, any insights, please?

Well, I don't get them very often, thank god.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: A "things fall apart" phase.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 09:44:25 am »
It is a dimensionless parameter that compares the time constant for decay of an oscillating physical system's amplitude to its oscillation period. Equivalently, it compares the frequency at which a system oscillates to the rate at which it dissipates its energy.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 09:56:02 am »
It is a dimensionless parameter that compares the time constant for decay of an oscillating physical system's amplitude to its oscillation period. Equivalently, it compares the frequency at which a system oscillates to the rate at which it dissipates its energy.

What Jeff said....

You can get a German Shephard puppy like I did and he'll make sure all those things go bad at one time... of course, while you're out.  They're sneaky like that.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 10:02:08 am »
I hear ya loud and clear.  This past year has been a dreadful dying experience for everything around the house.  New washer/dryer, new stove and fridge, new hot water heater and then finally the furnace.

Finally had to do a complete remodel of the bathroom and thought we were all set.  Then in the midst of be crippled, we had to hire a plumber to fix the kitchen drains.  Nothing else can possibly go wrong?

I grab Miss Lily and cuddle during those trying times.

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline intaglio

• Doesn't have to pay for vowels
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2012, 11:26:16 am »
Finally had to do a complete remodel of the bathroom and thought we were all set.  Then in the midst of be crippled, we had to hire a plumber to fix the kitchen drains. 

Read this and my first thought was "well if you weren't using your kitchen sink as a toilet during the remodel, ya wouldn'ta had that problem." :P

My parents called these phases "being under the sign of the ass" as the ass being a lesser-known sign of the zodiac.

An old acquaintance called these times as "mercury being in retrograde" again, referring to some astrological occurrence causing the problem.

I've gone through these phases with our stuff. First, all the vehicles need some kind of repair. Then they behave for a while. While the vehicles behave, all the electronics start being finicky. The phones see all the attention the electronics are getting and they start acting up. Then all the major appliances feel left out and demand some attention.

And all of them can sense when there's extra money sitting in the contingency account not being spent. "Oh, look there's like $50 sitting in there. Hey, you, garage door opener remote, that's your cue to fall apart in his hand. Go!"
Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Offline mecch

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 11:46:55 am »
I hear ya loud and clear.  This past year has been a dreadful dying experience for everything around the house.  New washer/dryer, new stove and fridge, new hot water heater and then finally the furnace.
Holy cow your list trumps mine!  As a renter I don't deal with some of that major stuff.  If I had to face your list it would bankrupt me or require a second mortgage!

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 11:54:09 am »
http://www.astro.com/astrology/in_dg_mercury_e.htm
To increase its capacity to listen, busy Mercury must be willing to slow down from time to time. And that to me is the primary benefit of Mercury's notorious retrograde period, the three times a year when Mercury slows and appears to be moving backward in the sky. [6] Even people who know nothing about astrology have heard about this time. Communications falter, machines break down, contracts are suspect, and schedules go awry. Mercury-ruled activities seem to fail because, during the retrograde, Mercury loses its usual efficiency. The consummate connector disconnects, which is as healthy for the mind as dream, though tricky if you're trying to keep a tight schedule or handle heavy machinery. If you pay attention a week or two before the retrograde, you can start to feel it when your mind begins drifting away. There's an invitation here, to release your Mercury burdens and allow your mind to relax and unwind, like letting the air out of a balloon. Or to use Howell's metaphor, the retrograde means your shoeslace will be untied for three weeks. If you insist on running, you just might stumble and fall.

The author of the above post says she is not afraid of retrogrades however, and seems to say they don't explain things falling apart. 

The next Mercury Retrograde starts Nov 6 and ends Nov 26.   hmmmm

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 03:07:50 pm »
An old acquaintance called these times as "mercury being in retrograde" again, referring to some astrological occurrence causing the problem.
that's what our friend hopey-curey is always telling me. ;)

Let's see: my ipod broke. one of the PC's fried. Two separate cars have stranded me by the side of I-77 and I have been towed 4 times now in the last 2 months. My camera tripod broke. One car that cost $900 has cost me an additional $1200 now in just 2 short months (thank god a lot of good friends pitched in with over half that cost!!). The Task Force didn't get my pamphlets printed and so I'm not at the SC Pride Festival today debuting our first-ever info booth - and that means I'm also missing Sheena Easton @6 and Shannon @9 which really bums me out. I had a blip (ie 1000's not 10's LOL) in my viral load. The doctor wants to schedule up a physical and my welcome-to-50 colonoscopy. Over the last 3 months, I've realized I have to wear my reading glasses ALL the time. My run of 3.5 good yrs is over and I've gone back to puking 6 times a month during the last 3 months. Oh and I think my boyfriend and I just broke up today. :(

But I have gone back to my old sick-with-teh-aids motto from back in the day:
Any day I'm NOT in the hospital (even if it's a day I'm hanging over the toilet pucking) is a GREAT day! ;D
F*ck Mercury  ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline mecch

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 03:59:40 am »
that's what our friend hopey-curey is always telling me. ;)

Let's see: my ipod broke. one of the PC's fried. Two separate cars have stranded me by the side of I-77 and I have been towed 4 times now in the last 2 months. My camera tripod broke. One car that cost $900 has cost me an additional $1200 now in just 2 short months (thank god a lot of good friends pitched in with over half that cost!!). The Task Force didn't get my pamphlets printed and so I'm not at the SC Pride Festival today debuting our first-ever info booth - and that means I'm also missing Sheena Easton @6 and Shannon @9 which really bums me out. I had a blip (ie 1000's not 10's LOL) in my viral load. The doctor wants to schedule up a physical and my welcome-to-50 colonoscopy. Over the last 3 months, I've realized I have to wear my reading glasses ALL the time. My run of 3.5 good yrs is over and I've gone back to puking 6 times a month during the last 3 months. Oh and I think my boyfriend and I just broke up today. :(

But I have gone back to my old sick-with-teh-aids motto from back in the day:
Any day I'm NOT in the hospital (even if it's a day I'm hanging over the toilet pucking) is a GREAT day! ;D
F*ck Mercury  ;)

Oh my some of that health stuff is worrying.  And sorry to hear about the bf.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 12:33:56 pm »
things just keep falling apart too. I got a horrible headache as the evening went by last night and then spent all night battling a 101 fever. :o better this morning but still not feeling "right". ugh!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2012, 01:27:59 pm »
Holy cow your list trumps mine!  As a renter I don't deal with some of that major stuff.  If I had to face your list it would bankrupt me or require a second mortgage!

Yeah, I hope nothing else goes wrong.  I can't imagine what the bills are going to look like from the hospital and surgeon.   :(

Offline intaglio

• Doesn't have to pay for vowels
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 01:58:11 pm »
Oh and I think my boyfriend and I just broke up today. :(

Dayyyyamm. I'm sorry to hear that.

The doctor wants to schedule up a physical and my welcome-to-50 colonoscopy

Got to do my first one a couple of years ago. The procedure was a walk in the park. The prep was not fun. I had to get a couple bottles of bitter-tasting liquid and chug it. Then spend the next 48 hours near a bathroom.

I think the next time I'm just going to ask if I could eat Taco Bell and be done with it. Better taste, same result.  ;D
Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2012, 02:07:06 pm »
I have to begin my HalfLytely bowel prep tomorrow. >:( I am really looking forward to shitting my brain out for hours.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline buginme2

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 02:15:30 pm »

Ditto, Leatherman I hope you start feeling better. 

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 02:29:05 pm »
I have to begin my HalfLytely bowel prep tomorrow. >:( I am really looking forward to shitting my brain out for hours.

I expect to see lots of after pictures posted to this forum.
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 03:35:31 pm »
I expect to see lots of after pictures posted to this forum.

I passed a post sinus surgery blood clot today that made Miss P's pic look lovely in comparison .
If I had posted a pic of it with a coat hanger it would have made the Republicans cry .

It was a bit of heaven when that foul thing left my head . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2012, 03:42:28 pm »
I passed a post sinus surgery blood clot today that made Miss P's pic look lovely in comparison .
If I had posted a pic of it with a coat hanger it would have made the Republicans cry .

It was a bit of heaven when that foul thing left my head . 

Sometimes words alone are more than enough, mister Lovecraft :)
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline mecch

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2012, 04:39:42 pm »
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 04:44:43 pm by mecch »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2012, 04:45:50 pm »
As long as I'm not using a pocket catheter I figure life must be good.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2012, 05:01:30 pm »

My upper/lower is scheduled for 11/7/12 - already have the go litely powder here....
Will have to start taking it on 11/6/12 - and then the fun begins.... :-\
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline mitch777

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2012, 05:09:18 pm »
Wanted to wish you colonoscopy recipients the best.

I had 2 done in the last 3 years.
During the first one, I woke up before it was completed. NOT fun.
Made sure that I had enough anesthesia the second time around.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2012, 06:16:01 pm »
After reading all this, I finally see a bright side to have a busted up leg.  I was scheduled to have my follow colonoscopy last week following last year's ass reconstruction surgery.

He actually had no problem with me being in a cast, but I had an issue knowing where I'd be sitting for hours on end. ;D

Offline mecch

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2012, 06:21:32 pm »
Ass reconstruction?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2012, 07:11:33 pm »
Ass reconstruction?

Yep, that's what I jokingly refer to it.  I had several AIN 3 masses that were protruding and I had the most radical of the different types of procedures to remove it.  My stupidity for not staying on top of it since I had past issues with them. 

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2012, 09:10:48 pm »
"Oh look!  The Calla Lillies are in bloom again!"

How is that for a diversion tactic?

:D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:26:46 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.