Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:42:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 375
Total: 377

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Zyban = depression ?  (Read 6180 times)

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
Zyban = depression ?
« on: February 21, 2008, 11:57:19 am »
Hi,

since few days, I don't feel to love my girlfriend anymore, and I'm even considering to broke up.
But I will wait few days more doing so.
I'm wondering if this miss of happiness (never happen before) is related to a depression.
As I never got one before and I have no ideas how to detect it.

Do we know if we are depressed ? Or is it a something subtle feeling ?

Since I started the Zyban, the life is tasting like the water, and I'm even wondering what love is !
Zyban.. ?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 12:26:52 pm by John2038 »

Offline John2038

Re: What is depression ?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 12:24:26 pm »
Well, find a website with a lot of comments about the side effects of the Zyban.
Among them, depression is often mentioned.

It is say that the side effects normally disappears after 2 weeks.

Strange, cause thought Zyban was initially an anti-depressant.

But most of people says that they have stop smoke. Most of them after 8 days.
But not the first days.

Good luck if you try this way to stop smoke. I'll personally continue. The benefits seems higher than the side effects for me.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: What is depression ?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 12:28:03 pm »
Good luck if you try this way to stop smoke. I'll personally continue. The benefits seems higher than the side effects for me.

John, I have to say that I love you at this moment for that comment.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Zyban = depression ?
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 12:32:18 pm »
John, any drug in the SSRI class like Zyban aka Wellbutrin you must allocate 4-8 weeks to acclimate, in my experience, before making the decision of whether or not it's working for you.  So "man up" and be prepared to twirl.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 12:40:35 pm »
All my crazy friends who smoke have tried Wellbutrin and all have failed. I remember my ID doc telling me I had bigger fish to fry when i told him I needed to quit smoking. :D I did it on my own with the help of some Commit lozenges three years ago.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 12:44:37 pm »
All my crazy friends who smoke have tried Wellbutrin and all have failed. I remember my ID doc telling me I had bigger fish to fry when i told him I needed to quit smoking. :D I did it on my own with the help of some Commit lozenges three years ago.

Actually, I have to say that Wellbutrin worked for me on that end.  It did (and still does) take away my urges to smoke.  I don't have nicotine cravings.  My dumb ass flat out smokes when I do because I enjoy it.  End of story.   
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 12:48:00 pm »
Actually, I have to say that Wellbutrin worked for me on that end.  It did (and still does) take away my urges to smoke.  I don't have nicotine cravings.  My dumb ass flat out smokes when I do because I enjoy it.  End of story.   

you're still nutz :P

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 12:49:15 pm »

great ad. wellbutrin works but i still smoke, whose crazy now?

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 12:56:45 pm »
great ad. wellbutrin works but i still smoke, whose crazy now?

Fair enough, but I know nicotine cravings.  And I know that I don't have them now.  I go days...weeks even between cigs, and then sometimes I smoke up a storm - just cuz.  I do all sorts of dumbass, unhealthy behaviors without a logical foundation to support them.

I'm fun like that.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 12:59:36 pm »

I'm fun like that.

Truer words were never spoken baby. ;)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 01:02:01 pm »

Since I started the Zyban, the life is tasting like the water, and I'm even wondering what love is !

John,

Sometimes antidepressants can make a person feel "flat" or emotionless. They can take away the lows but also can take away the highs. Your comment above about life tasting like water makes me wonder if a lack of emotion, good or bad, isn't what you're experiencing, rather than actual depression.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Florida69

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 01:21:01 pm »
It is very hard to stop smoking, a college professor used to tell me if you want to quit and keep trying that eventually you will succeed..  I stopped many years ago, and I smoked a pack and a half a day for over 13 years.  After reading your question, although this article has nothing really to do with depression I wanted to share.  I hope you find it useful...  Take care, D

A Smoking Slip-Up?
No matter how long you have been smoking, quitting will lessen your chances of developing heart disease.

Print This Page   Send to a Friend 

There is nothing easy about giving up cigarettes. Most smokers attempt to quit more than once. In fact, many try three to five times before they can quit for good. If you slip, here are some tips to get back on the nonsmoking track:

Don't be discouraged. Having a cigarette or two doesn't mean you can't quit smoking. A slip happens to many, many people who successfully quit. Keep thinking of yourself as a nonsmoker. You are one.
Learn from experience. What was the trigger that made you light up? Were you driving home from work, having a glass of wine at a party, feeling angry with your boss? Think back on the day's events until you remember what the trigger was.
Take charge. Write a list of things you will do the next time you face that "trigger" situation — and other tempting situations as well. Sign a new contract with your support person to show yourself how determined you are to kick the habit.
It takes determination to stop any type of addiction, but the struggle is well worth it. Your heart will thank you someday.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/publicsite/index.aspx?puid=9067ec3e-4070-4034-8f50-a88937fd9232&p=4&xid=nl_EverydayHealthHealthyLiving_20080220
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Offline John2038

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 01:11:09 pm »
Thanks for your replies.

Florida69, this is something I was wondering:
do we need to force us to stop smoking or can we wait the meds to work ?

I know, its a stupid question, but i have read also that the Zyban allow to quit smoking without forcing (but should force ourselves afterward once the treatment is over).

Ann you right, "emotionless" is the right term.

This morning I was worrying about having serious trouble when I saw, while shaving, that I haven't rinse my hairs from the shampoo after the bath. Never happen before.

Well, it look stupid again, but with the vertigo, I was a bit scared if something was going wrong.

But the good news is that I feel much better since, no more vertigo, and got some emotions back.

Offline John2038

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 12:32:15 am »
Woo wwoww

I dreamt that night of an unreal mathematical problem that I could not solve.
And the dream was repeating repeating until finally I wake up.
When I opened my eyes, I was panicked.
And just to rethink the problem of math was increasing my panic level.
Like not being able to breathe.

I think it's a Zyban side effect, as I took my second caplet of Zyban just before going to bed.
I try to control myself this night. Thinking, its a side effect. Not easy to cool down, believe me !
But I was fine again after 15 minutes.

It is the first time ever I'm experiencing such panic. Woow wwowww
However, I still haven't stop smoking (4th day). But it seems that it people usually stop between the 8th and the 15th day.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.