Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:23:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 191
Total: 193

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Status of source became known - Is my PEP no longer enough?  (Read 5396 times)

Offline spirax88

• Standard
I made a huge error and had unprotected receptive intercourse with a man who said he was negative when under the influence of alcohol. He did not ejaculate inside me though I know it is still high risk activity. This is not normal for me. It didn't feel right and I went to see the doctor the next day and started PEP (Truvada only) approximately 19 hours after exposure.

I received a text message around 5 days later from the guy saying that he was showing symptoms of acute infection and sure enough he tested positive a few days later. This has stressed me to no end. I understand this will mean he had a high viral load and therefore will be more infectious. I contacted my doctor after doing some research to see if I could have a third drug added to my regimen but it was over a week at this point so I wasnt able to. I am really disappointed I wasnt started on 3 drugs to begin with. The doctor did try to assure me that 2 drugs is still thought to be very effective and it is a good sign that I started the medication within 24 hours. I am not sure if she is just trying to make me feel better, from what I have been able to read, most people get 3 drugs for far less risky exposure. Feeling like the odds are against me at this point and highly concerned my PEP regime is insufficient.

Anything suggestions on things I can do at this point or advice would be appreciated. I am quite frightened. Oh genuinely thanks for all the advice and time.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 05:08:10 am by spirax88 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Status became known - Is my PEP no longer enough?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 05:32:23 am »
Spirax,

Take a deep breath and calm down. The doctor wasn't blowing smoke up your ass - she's absolutely right in everything she told you.

You have quite a bit in your favour.

He didn't ejaculate in you.

You started PEP well within 24 hours - 72 is the maximum, but 24 is best.

Truvada on its own IS an approved PEP regimen, and it wouldn't be if it didn't work on its own.

It's also not necessarily true that he had a really high viral load. Not everyone does at that point. It can take up to ten days for it to even show up on viral load tests, and four or so weeks before it gets really high. Most people (who actually experience symptoms, not everyone does) will start getting them within two to three weeks, and the average time to seroconversion is only 22 days.

What's important now is that you make sure you take your Truvada every day, and try to take it around the same time everyday to maintain optimal levels of it in your body.

You will need to test at six weeks after your last dose of PEP, and if that is negative (which is what I fully expect), you will have to confirm that at the three month post-PEP point.

I really do expect you to come out of this ok. You've got everything in your favour.

But PLEASE, please learn from this mistake!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Status of source became known - Is my PEP no longer enough?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 07:27:09 am »
I only just realised I wasnt clear in my first post Ann. Sorry about that and thanks for the response. It was anal receptive intercourse (I realised you could have assumed otherwise). Do you still think the odds are in my favour?

Spirax, I've quoted your post above so I can delete it. You only get three free posts here before you have to take out a subscription and I didn't want you to use one up on this clarification.

I did understand that you were the receptive partner.

And I do think you have an excellent chance of ultimately testing hiv negative. You have everything going in your favour.

I already wrote this post out once, but we're having some sort of glitch in the software at the moment and it won't let me use more than one instance of code. I attempted to link you to some lessons you may find useful, but I used code instead of just posting the bare links. I'll try again....

If you want to read about the meds you're on, go to the treatments page: http://www.aidsmeds.com/list.shtml

You're not likely to experience any side-effects on Truvada, but you may experience some discomfort in the form of excess farting and it's slightly possible you may feel fatigue. Check out these two side-effect lessons if either of these things become problematic:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Fatigue_7533.shtml

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Nausea_7486.shtml

I'm going to go ahead and post this now while you're still online, but hang on because I have more to say. I'm going to post this and start writing again.

You have two more free posts left, please use them wisely.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 07:42:18 am »
Spirax,

Here's some additional information/thoughts that I lost when I got an error message when I initially tried to respond to you a second time.

Regarding being on Truvada alone, the only possible problem I can foresee is if you weren't given a rapid hiv test before you were prescribed PEP. If you weren't and there's a chance you were already poz, being on a two drug regimen can lead to drug resistance.

I trust you were given a rapid test; the health system of country you're in has a good track record of following proper PEP protocol. If you were tested, don't use up a post to tell me, I'll understand that you were tested prior to being prescribed PEP.

People who are poz and on meds must be on at least three meds, from at least two different classes of meds. The two drugs in Truvada are from one class and if you were poz before this unprotected incident occurred, you would need a third drug from a different class to avoid resistance.

If you were given a rapid test before initiating PEP, then you don't need to worry about resistance issues.

Ack. I said all this much more eloquently and succinctly the first time around. Sorry.

Again, you have two free posts left (unless you've posted again while I've been writing this) so please use them wisely. A subscription doesn't cost much though, and all you need is a pay-pal account.

Good luck. I really, really do expect you to come out of this hiv negative, provided you make sure you take your Truvada every day, and take it as close to 24 hours apart as humanly possible. An hour either way won't be a problem, but try to not let it stretch out much longer than that. You want to keep the optimal level of drugs in your body.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline spirax88

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 05:01:48 am »
Thanks for the info Ann. Yes there was a baseline test so all good there. He contacted me today to tell me that he had a very high viral load at the time we met (and that another partner he had sex with days before is now HIV+ too (this guy didn't take pep apparently). This is an aweful situation. He was clearly very infectious at the time we met. I am so frightened and I am worried that the PEP may not be adequate to cover his high viral load. Is there any research on this that you know of? I thought there was a chance that even without pep there would not be transmission but considering this other partner is now positive I am not sure of that

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 06:25:33 am »
Spirax,

Funny enough, I was just now reading the PEP guidelines from your country in order to give an accurate reply to another poster here. The issue of a two-drug regimen vs. a three-drug regimen is addressed in the guidelines:

"There is no direct evidence to support the greater or lesser efficacy of three over two drug preventive regimens."

Trust me hun, your doctor doesn't want you to end up poz any more than you (or we) do. Truvada is a very effective two-drug combo for the purpose of PEP, as well as PrEP.

PrEP is taking hiv meds as a pre-exposure prophylaxis and Truvada has been approved for this use. It must be taken every day, not just before a night out.

I thought there was a chance that even without pep there would not be transmission but considering this other partner is now positive I am not sure of that

What you thought prior to this experience was true. Exposure does NOT guarantee infection. Hiv is actually a finicky little beggar and the environment and circumstances need to be just right in order for transmission to take place. And remember, he didn't ejaculate in you.

You started PEP in a timely manner. Keep taking it every day, as close to 24 hours apart as humanly possible, and there is no reason to think you won't come out of this hiv negative.

Hang in there, ok?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline spirax88

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 09:44:31 pm »
Hi guys, thought I would give an update and hear your thoughts. So it is now 9.5 weeks post exposure (almost 6 weeks post PEP) and I went for a rapid HIV test which has come back negative or non-reactive. I didnt do so well on my exams recently, this was all I have been able to think about. How encouraging is a negative test at this point remembering I did take a full course of PEP (started 19 hours after exposure with excellent adherence)? I was hoping a negative test would give me some relief but I still feel as wound up and anxious as before, currently requiring sleeping medication from time to time.

By the way, thank you for your support on this forum. You all really are wonderful. Anns encouraging words provided me great comfort over the last 10 weeks or so.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.