Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:51:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 661
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 661
Total: 661

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Favourite Foods/ Cuisines and least favourite cuisines.  (Read 64235 times)

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
Favourite Foods/ Cuisines and least favourite cuisines.
« on: August 29, 2011, 03:56:30 pm »
It's 1.19 am here- and as usual I can't fall asleep. So to amuse myself, and also cos I am food-obsessive I am starting this thread.  ;D

What foods are your favourite and which is your favourite cuisine?

Mine:-

1. Italian- Nothing beats an aunthentic pasta or wood-fired oven pizza with melting Mozarella

2. Indian- Butter Chicken  :) Orgasmic.

3. American Junk Food. McDonalds and all its hybrid varieties. Yummy.

4. Chinese (leaving out the extra weird stuff).

5. European Continental food. Roasts/ baguettes/ Pates and such.

Not nice :-

Thai food- It just tastes like a mixture of coconuts,  lemongrass and soapwater.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 04:15:01 pm by spacebarsux »
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Favourite Foods/ Cuisines and least favourite cuisines.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 04:43:45 pm »
Yes, I'm quite big on Italian food -- but NOT the red sauce Italian-American stuff. Think more like Mario Batali, and since my best friend owns three restaurants with him I've eaten in almost all of his restaurants, as well as Lidia Bastianich (her son is Mario's business partner).

I love French food, and I went to France the first time when I was just 14 so it's been a long affair. However, I'd say French food hasn't been "in" for US diners (well, with the exception of overly dear 4-star places). Though there was that brief bistro phase in NYC -- and damn if I wasn't at Balthazar all of the time, and Pastis. I love Keith McNally restaurants, just for the over-the-top see-and-be-seen crowd. I went to Minetta Tavern when it opened two years ago and it was great - it completely exemplifies a NYC steak house from 100 years ago, and the food was completely up to par.

Now, if you want really fierce food you need to try the Asian-Southern US fusion that Chef David Chang does -- he's been the bomb in NYC for the past seven years, starting with Momofuku Noodle in the East Village. He's gone on to open up much pricier places, and I'm dying to try out má pêche, his first uptown place. Next NYC visit perhaps.

I love Sichuan and have been going religiously to this place in Old City Philadelphia where all of the mainland Chinese grad students from the Wharton School of Business/U-Penn go when they're homesick. Twice a month they do this massive 20-course meal and it takes 2 months to obtain a reservation, and I just scored one for November! I'm very happy about that.

Oh, and I'm very, very huge on coffee -- not just any kind (Jan will be my witness). I only buy light roast beans, which I grind with my Baratza burr grinder, then brew in a Chemex glass pot by hand. I also am fortunate to live only a few blocks from the best pastry shop in the city, run by a Vietnamese family.

Ah yes, and my best friend I mentioned one of her restaurants is all Spanish, and when it opened it won "best Spanish wine list" by Wine Spectator. All the food there is incredible, and one of the few US places where you can get jamon iberico. Any New Yorkers reading this you really must try it out:  http://www.casamononyc.com/
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 04:44:39 pm »
Aren't all cultures capable of delicious food when attention is paid to taste?

Conversely I've had vile dishes from around the world.   >:(

On the Thai remark, there are those who get with soap tastes and those who don't, I think its genetic?  I could live on coriander/cilantro.  

Indian, Vietnamese, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, look at these  :D

Most tripe preparations make me want to vomit but I'll occassionally choke it down to fake that I have a "sophisticated" palette.  Ditto for some revolting Chinese soups no human should go near.  Never had a truly savory paella even though my dining companions have assured me one or the other we were served was fantastic, they always make me gag.  Most gefilte fish.  Bad cheap eye-talian restaurants (tasteless cheese, salty, bland).  Bad restaurant pastries or pies.  Anything with fake cream.  Farmed shrimp.  

The Swiss have made a huge industry out of dried food with manufacturers like Knorr - its an extremely acquired taste because it is savory and seemingly delicious, for its high salt and MSG content and perfect food chemistry combinations, but absolutely revolting at the same time.

Lunch restaurants for average folks, with typical cuisine of the nation, are disappearing in Switzerland, Netherlands, Germany, Austria.   Real German lunch restaurants are great.  

I am watching Twin Peaks these days.  Now, what could be better than real American diner food.  (If its real, that is!)

I went to McDo yesterday for the first time this year.  I had those potato fries.  They were delicious and tasted real.  Are they real?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 05:19:36 pm »
Favorite would be good quality grilled steak and a fresh garden salad (yea I know... cholesterol city) and least favorite would be anything with pasta and tomato sauce.  Cold pasta salad in the summer is ok with a few cherry tomatoes though. 

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 05:56:46 pm »
... and a fresh garden salad (yea I know... cholesterol city) ...

Ranch dressing ...
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 06:17:22 pm »
Fave:  good Indian food.

Least:  German (it's the wurst)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline mecch

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 06:29:10 pm »
Fave:  good Indian food.

Least:  German (it's the wurst)

You've never been to a northern German fish salad deli I bet.  One amazing salad after another.  

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 06:30:53 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Since2005

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 06:29:25 pm »
Well we do have our differences which is good more varieties :)

Thai – Is my favorite food in the world especially ‘Pad Thai’. Every city I go and visit, I would go to Thai restaurants, I will go and order ‘Pad Thai’/ ‘Phat Thai’ without even looking at the menu. I would usually order ‘high to very high’ on the spice level. I like it spicy!

Indian – I live on this everyday. No matter how detached I feel sometimes from my ethnicity, culture, morals and values that was raised with (I have mentioned in one of my threads that I am way more westernized culturally now than how I was before) foods is one thing I could not ever live without. Once you go for Indian foods you can never go back. Noted, when I say Indian, I meant mostly South Asian foods which is various types of curry, rice, bread, Samosa, Chicken Tikka (yummy), Kabab, Biriyani, etc as you may know Indian foods have a huge selection.

Chinese – I love Chinese foods a lot, all kinds. I need to mention American Chinese is way different than ‘South Asian Chinese/Indian Chinese foods. My guess is wherever Chinese go they kind of mix their recipe up with their foods and makes it a bit more local. Chinese foods in China (authentic) are not same as Chinese foods anywhere else. I also like authentic Taiwanese foods.

I am very Asian when it comes to foods. However, I do love different others foods like African, middle eastern, Greek, Italian (especially pizza and pasta), German, French (I haven't tried a whole lot, though I love their bread). Oh, I love South American foods like Spanish/Mexican foods and I love Cuban foods they are so tasty..yum yum..and I love a good American Cheese burger, steaks, grilled foods ( what am I leaving off..nothing.. cuz I love all kinds of foods). So, I would go and eat anything at least once. I am into exotic foods. I am yet to try snake (I would love to try the soup of it), crocodile, and other exotic foods at least once. I would never say ‘no’ to anything ( except of course with few exceptions...lol..). I also heard that in China, they prepare tiger penis as food and I would love to try that also. I won't try some special animal's foods that I call my pets (dogs and cats and etc.. see I am not that bad...I can't believe that I just wrote that..just to set the record straight.. :)). Oh. I forgot. I love seafood!!!!!

Well, I guess, I have started out wrong. What I don't like? Nothing.. I love eating everything... its very true...I am a food fanatic, I am not much of  good cook ( and I mean it!!), but I love to eat different types of foods!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 06:45:16 pm by Since2005 »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 07:40:58 pm »

Faves:
Beef, Beef and more Beef. Preferably Prime Us Corn Fed Beef Filet (Ruths Chris is utterly orgasmic)

Seafood
Atlantic Scallops. Preferably hand harvested from Maine.

I adore Thai food, Especially Pad Thai with a Cantalope Bubble Tea.

Mexican Food of course (real stuff not that crap from Philadelphia)

There is not much I will not eat and enjoy, so I cant really pin down any dislikes. German (yum sauerkraut)  Italian, Indian, Greek, Chinese all thumbs up. Including Texas Calf fries (deep fried bull testes).

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 07:58:18 pm »

Jamaican aki and saltfish, stew fish, brown chicken...  Bahamian crack conch is to die for along with a glass of Sky Juice(gin and fresh coconut water), then fiinished off with guava duff (desert).

I can almost see the beach!

All Cuban food is great and I really miss going to Romeu's for some of the best Cuban food around, to hell with La Carreta-- some here may disagree.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline klouny

• ~ can you see me now~
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 08:51:11 pm »
I like food treads. I need to learn to cook, my grandma says I'm a shame for not
knowing how * sulks in a dark corner*

but yeah :). I haven't had the chance to eat many different foods yet, so my experiences
and taste palate is limited.
but I like

1. Spanish food ( duh, but real Spanish food. mostly Southwest food from the coast in my country )
2. Italian food
3. Chinese food

I don't like creole food though. . . :-[. . . it scares me
~Strange ideas are Superfluous and unoriginal~

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 09:15:41 pm »
(Ruths Chris is utterly orgasmic)

So tragically plebeian. You need to go here:  http://www.peterluger.com/

ps: Miss P can make the most incredible steak -- grilled rib eye, sea salt and drizzled Modena balsamic vinegar is the key.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:26:33 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 09:49:08 pm »

ps: Miss P can make the most incredible steak -- grilled rib eye, sea salt and drizzled Modena balsamic vinegar is the key.

please, do they even allow you to grill in that tenement of yours? and dont come at me with your George Foreman.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 10:48:29 pm »
please, do they even allow you to grill in that tenement of yours? and dont come at me with your George Foreman.

I use an All-Clad grill pan on a gas stove top.

Tonight we have lightly toasted Amoroso bread (actually baked in my neighborhood), rare roast beef thinly sliced, with Kelchner's horse-radish, Pennsylvanian naturally made by Amish virgins.  And a slice of the very best cheddar on the market, Montgomery from Somerset, England. Lovingly served on Finnish glassware. :-*

I'm also simultaneously watching Most Eligible Dallas on Bravo and thinking of you.

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 12:51:08 am »
Mecch- from Switzerland- Raclette and Fondue are delicious.

Spain- Tortilla de Patatas (Spanish Omlette) is awesome. I never quite liked Paella, but then I have a mental block in enjoying any rice dish that isn't Indian or Chinese. I can't even enjoy a good Risotto for that reason

German food that I have had was really good. Wurst sausages etc.

South Indian  food is tasty as hell too. (Quite different to the usual Naan, meat curries and lentils served in Indian restaurants In the US and Europe- which is North Indian)

I have no idea what cuban food is like.

And I love Chicken, chicken and more chicken and potatoes.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline leese43

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 04:56:50 am »
1. Thai food - love sate, LOVE chicken Penang, Pad Thai...I could go on and on.

2. Jamiaca, Jamaica - Oxtail Rice n peas..Yum! Saltfish fritters, Sat'day soup, Festival, Patties. My ex is Jamaican and the reason I'm on a diet now!

3. Spanish - Tapas, Paella.

4. English (yes I said it!) Can't beat a home cooked roast dinner. Food does not always have to be highly seasoned, it's all about the yorkshire puds, crisp roast potatoes and the gravy. If the gravy isn't good then the whole meal is spoilt!

I'm hungry now!   :D
Oct 04 - Neg
Aug 05 - infected
Oct 05 - cd4 780, vl 60k
Apr 08 - cd4 430, vl 243
Jul 08 - cd4 550, vl 896
Nov 08 - cd4 730, vl 1.8k
May 09 - cd4 590, vl 1.5k
Sep 09 - cd4 460 vl 34k
Dec 09 - cd4 470 vl 42k
April 10 - cd4 430 vl 88.5k
July 10 - cd4 330 vl 118k
Aug 10 - started reyataz/truvada/norvir
Aug 10 - cd4 380 vl 4k (12 days after starting meds :))
Sep 10 - cd4 520 vl 1.5k
Oct 10 - cd4 590 vl 44
Jan 11 -cd4 610 vl <40 cd4% 50
May 11 - cd4 780 vl UD

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 06:11:56 am »

4. English (yes I said it!) Can't beat a home cooked roast dinner. Food does not always have to be highly seasoned, it's all about the yorkshire puds, crisp roast potatoes and the gravy. If the gravy isn't good then the whole meal is spoilt!

yea :). Also there should be NO brussles sprouts.

Offline leese43

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 06:27:12 am »
yea :). Also there should be NO brussles sprouts.

Christmas would not be Christmas without sprouts!  ;D
Oct 04 - Neg
Aug 05 - infected
Oct 05 - cd4 780, vl 60k
Apr 08 - cd4 430, vl 243
Jul 08 - cd4 550, vl 896
Nov 08 - cd4 730, vl 1.8k
May 09 - cd4 590, vl 1.5k
Sep 09 - cd4 460 vl 34k
Dec 09 - cd4 470 vl 42k
April 10 - cd4 430 vl 88.5k
July 10 - cd4 330 vl 118k
Aug 10 - started reyataz/truvada/norvir
Aug 10 - cd4 380 vl 4k (12 days after starting meds :))
Sep 10 - cd4 520 vl 1.5k
Oct 10 - cd4 590 vl 44
Jan 11 -cd4 610 vl <40 cd4% 50
May 11 - cd4 780 vl UD

Offline wolfter

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 06:49:21 am »
Mediterranean Greek Salads are the best.  There are so many variations! 

Foods I don't eat;
anything that runs wild through the back woods. ;D
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 07:25:14 am »
I like a variety of different cuisines. I typically cook homestyle American dishes and go out for Indian, Greek, Italian,  etc. I could eat Chinese or Thai every day of the week and do stir-fry at home all the time. I love going to the local fondue restaurant. What I don't like has more to do with the ingredients than the way it is prepared. I stay away from organ meats, raw meat or strong tasting fish, like anchovies. I don't like the taste of coffee or beer. I don't like foods that are swimming in sauce, gravy or cheese to where you can't taste what you are eating. I don't think I have ever had a fruit or vegetable I didn't like.

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 07:27:51 am »
I don't like the taste of coffee or beer.
   :o

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 07:33:48 am »
   :o

I'm glad I don't like coffee or drink alcohol, it's expensive! Also I think my brain translates fermented as spoiled-- beer and wine  tastes like something has gone bad.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 07:51:11 am »
Also I think my brain translates fermented as spoiled-- beer and wine  tastes like something has gone bad.

So then you don't eat cheese either? Or if you do you stick to bland, American "cheese food" which isn't real cheese.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 08:02:18 am »
Oh, one thing I'm really huge on is cured meat -- is there anything more satisfying than a proper salumi plate before a meal? Speck, mortadella, coppa, bresaola, lardo, etc.... moving on to charcuterie.

I get this from being raised on the Southern US version of ham -- where it's salt cured in a smoke house. My grandfather cured his own pigs, and did one per month for his own personal use. They were never sold to other people. So there was always ham in the house, served with every meal as an "option" to the main dish when guests were present, which was rather often. So to this day I like any salt-cured meat product, and fortunately I live within walking distance of all these divine Italian shops. But it's just a special treat as eating these items is not particularly healthy.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 08:19:56 am »
So then you don't eat cheese either? Or if you do you stick to bland, American "cheese food" which isn't real cheese.

I like most cheeses. Some do have that "spoiled" flavor. Love baked Brie. I will eat American cheese but it is not my first choice. I just had queso blanco with toast and hot tea for breakfast.

Oh, I love breads, cakes, pastries, cereal, cookies, muffins...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 08:21:48 am by GSOgymrat »

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2011, 08:26:53 am »
I doubt I could give up coffee no matter what (enjoying freshly ground Tanzanian Peaberry this morning).  High-test too...dont like that decaf stuff.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2011, 09:47:17 am »
I'm making tuna melts for lunch. ;D with crinkle cut fries.

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 01:20:10 am »
I recently tried Tibetan Food (Nothing like chinese food or Indian food). Was interesting and nice.

They make these really tasty meat dumplings called MoMo's.  :)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:27:28 am by spacebarsux »

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 02:37:08 am »
Oh, how my palate is left wanting! I could eat Mexican food anytime. Enchiladas are my favorite, but they have to be corn tortillas dipped in oil and sauce. The sauce must be mole!

Can't go wrong with artichokes (the frost bitten ones taste best!) with a side of garlic butter. I wish I could eat them all the time but damn are they expensive.

One of my favorite salads was at a tapas place in Monterey, CA. Mandarin oranges, shallots, shaved Parmesan, black pepper and a sherry vinaigrette. Just amazing!!!

Love italian food too. Manicotti is my fave when the shell is a crepe, NOT pasta.

Indian curry is great. I just don't like Thai curry, ick!

Oh, and GARLIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Diagnosed  July 28th 2003

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

'Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?' -Frank Scully

'If your ship doesn't come, swim out to it.' - Jonathan Winters

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2011, 02:45:45 am »
Yea garlic is awesome. Some people can't stand it though.

Among African cuisines, I tried Ethiopian food once. Was better than ok. Has anyone else tried food from other parts of Africa? What's it like?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:47:48 am by spacebarsux »

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2011, 05:53:57 am »
I tried Ethiopian food once.

There are a few good Ethiopian restaurants in the Adams Morgan (aka Madam's Organ) section of Washington DC... the sponge like bread known as injera was interesting.  Moroccan food is also worth trying but I doubt the place where I had it in Savannah comes remotely close to what may be found in Marrakech. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2011, 10:56:41 am »

Among African cuisines, I tried Ethiopian food once. Was better than ok. Has anyone else tried food from other parts of Africa? What's it like?

I used to eat Ethiopian a lot -- started that way back in the 80's when I discovered a place in DC where Ethiopian diplomats ate. Then when I moved to NYC there was one in the lower part of Soho that suddenly became quietly hip.

When I moved to downtown Brooklyn in the mid-90's I lived down the street from a Senegalese restaurant, and I used to eat there frequently. Later my ex-partner was Nigerian and I remember insisting on being taken to a Nigerian restaurant in London, which involved this really long amount of travel as it was in some obscure neighborhood. I had this amazing soup as an appetizer which was one of the spiciest concoctions I've ever encountered, followed by some fish.

Can't think of any African restaurant in Philadelphia, but that's mostly because my current neighborhood, other than Italian, mostly has pockets of Vietnamese and Mexican, specifically from Puebla state.

Offline mecch

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2011, 11:03:08 am »
African food - yes Cairo.   Koshary restaurants serve the same need as pizza joints in the US.   Theres always one near and you usually like the food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kushari

Savory, seems quite healthy (unlike pizza usually?), and cheap.

Offline mecch

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2011, 11:07:39 am »
Libya.  Olive oil olive oil olive oil olive oil olive oil.  Did I mention the olive oil?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2011, 11:08:44 am »
I also used to live around the corner from a Jamaican restaurant that made the most phenomenal oxtail and beans -- I still get a plate whenever I'm back in Brooklyn.

I had great food at times when I went to the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico, but you have to find a place locals go. If you're ever in San Juan make sure you go to this place called La Casita Blanca where they keep live poultry in cages outside, which they slaughter for your dish -- fresh! Great goat dishes as well -- love goat.

Oh wow -- they're on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL-IfkPOptI

Yes, I forgot too they have very weird hours and are only open for lunch, and it took me several visits to figure out when to go.

For high end in San Juan locate where Chef Mario Pagan is working -- he used to run this legendary place called Chayote which I think is closed now, but he kind of was instrumental in the early Caribbean fusion/NuevaoLatino cooking, which you now find in so many places. Douglas Rodriguez does this well too -- I think he's credited with the term Nuevo Latino in the mid-90's, and I ate at his first restaurant Patria back then and was blown away by it. Hey Rev., have you been to his place in Miami? OLA?

http://www.olamiami.com/
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:16:27 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2011, 12:35:45 pm »
Douglas Rodriguez does this well too -- I think he's credited with the term Nuevo Latino in the mid-90's, and I ate at his first restaurant Patria back then and was blown away by it. Hey Rev., have you been to his place in Miami? OLA?

http://www.olamiami.com/

Yes, been there twice --early dinner, cause it gets rather packed later on.   Very good, pretty creative stuff.  I may go back next week now that you reminded me and try their "pescado a lo macho."  Their lobster empanadas are delish.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2011, 01:18:39 pm »
Later my ex-partner was Nigerian and I remember insisting on being taken to a Nigerian restaurant in London, which involved this really long amount of travel as it was in some obscure neighborhood.

Sounds like a stall in Camden Town  ;D

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2011, 02:07:58 pm »
Sounds like a stall in Camden Town  ;D

Uh, no -- I know where Camden Town is. This place wasn't a stall either, it was sit-down upscale for an African restaurant. My ex was no low-brow type and made a similar income to myself at that time. His family in Lagos was I'd say more upper middle class, very educated, etc.

It may have been this place:

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/venue/2%3A863/805-bar-restaurant

Of course, discussing "African cuisine" is silly -- it's a massive area, better to break it down to West African, East, North, etc. But compared to other cooking it's largely unexplored to Western palates, even if for example West African cuisine was imported by slaves to all of the Americas and vice versa with indigenous American foods going back to West Africa... triangle trade and all of that.

I always wanted him to take me to Lagos but he didn't seem to find that a wise idea. :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:14:06 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2011, 02:21:19 pm »
Oh I didn't mean to insinuate anything about your ex Miss P, so sorry if that's the way it came across.

I just love the Camden area  :)

London has some awesome restaurants and among the finest world-cuisine.

I once ate at this restaurant called "Medieval Banquet". It's really interesting and weird at the same time to be transported in a Medieval Britain Banquet. lol

http://www.medievalbanquet.com/index.html

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2011, 02:56:19 pm »
London does have great food places now -- but when I studied in the UK in the mid-80's I thought it rather sucked. When I began going back in the late 90's it was like night and day.

NYC is still better  :-X

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2011, 03:00:10 pm »

I always wanted him to take me to Lagos but he didn't seem to find that a wise idea. :)

Pity.  I however believe that you've been elsewhere in Africa, no?  At least Cape Town or Joburg?

As far as African food is concerned I have tried --and loved-- food from Ethiopia (we used to have a lovely place called Sheba in Miami, but they closed about a year ago or so), Algeria, Angola (love their groundnut stew), Morocco, and (of course) South Africa.  To this day I still go every month or so to Meal In A Pie (a tiny South African grocery and restaurant in Fort Lauderdale) to buy me a few groceries.  Nothing like cooking at home with a nice chutney.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2011, 03:10:38 pm »
Pity.  I however believe that you've been elsewhere in Africa, no?  At least Cape Town or Joburg?

Nope, never have been to Africa at all. Nor Asia (flights are too long!). Child you know I spent all of my time in the DR. And I would have only gone to somewhere like Lagos with a native chaperone -- my ex was upfront that all of my Prada would have made me an instant target exiting customs at the airport and I'd never make it downtown.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2011, 03:25:57 pm »
*BURRRRPP*

Here's what's left of my lunch...

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2011, 03:28:10 pm »
Nope, never have been to Africa at all. Nor Asia (flights are too long!). Child you know I spent all of my time in the DR. And I would have only gone to somewhere like Lagos with a native chaperone -- my ex was upfront that all of my Prada would have made me an instant target exiting customs at the airport and I'd never make it downtown.

Yup.  Your Prada ass wouldn't survive Lagos (mine wouldn't either--I find that city, and Dakar, rather overwhelming for some reason).

If all goes well I will be in Ghana next year doing some school work for about two months.  Pending on approval from the university and other matters.  Then in august I will go back to SA to stay at the ex-spouse's family farm for about 3 or 4 weeks.  I'd invite you to come along, but this is rural Limpopo, definitely not the most glamorous or lively of places.

Edited foe seplling
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:32:59 pm by Rev. Moon »

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2011, 03:29:42 pm »
my ex was upfront that all of my Prada would have made me an instant target exiting customs at the airport and I'd never make it downtown.

;D Ha ha ha. Come to India Miss P ...you'll easily survive. Only you might have little slumdog kids who'll run after you and might dirty your posh clothing lol.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:34:28 pm by spacebarsux »

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2011, 03:30:12 pm »
*BURRRRPP*

Here's what's left of my lunch...

That looks rather decadent, Guillermina.  And, of course, you did not eat the tomato or lettuce.

Was this from Whataburger or Wendy's?

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2011, 03:33:10 pm »
That looks rather decadent, Guillermina.  And, of course, you did not eat the tomato or lettuce.

Was this from Whataburger or Wendy's?

Neither Moonsy, twas Carl's Jr.

The lettuce and tomato just gets in the way of my meat and cheese. pisses me off.

How do you know about Whataburgers?

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2011, 03:33:36 pm »
Yup.  Your Prada ass wouldn't survive Lagos (mine wouldn't either--I find that city, and Dakkar, rather overwhelming for some reason).

If all goes well I will be in Ghana next year doing some school work for about two months.  Pending on approval from the university and other matters.  Then in august I will go back to SA to stay at the ex-spouse's family farm for about 3 or 4 weeks.  I'd invite you to come along, but this is rural Limpopo, definitely not the most glamorous or lively of places.

Don't know why people don't think I can't handle travel adversity -- once in the DR I was with my hustler companion/travel guide/chaffeur and the rental car had a tire blow out, and the spare was also fucked -- so he took me up to some family's house and had me sit on their porch for a couple hours in a downpour while he hitchhiked to some nearby town to sort out the tire. They didn't speak any English, and my Spanish is non-existent except for things like puta and pinga but I manage to get buy giving their children money to go buy candy. By the end of it all I was quite popular on that porch.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2011, 03:45:14 pm »
Quote from: WillyWump link=topic=39557.msg493988#msg

How do you know about Whataburgers?

Last year I spent a few months in Dallas and Austen.  Work related.  Oh, and they have one or two in dreadful Pensaculo, FL --another location where I was regularly shipped by my employer.

Their burgers are just ok, rather pedestrian in my opinion.  They hit the spot for a quick lunch.  Nothing like In-N-Out (which, if I'm not mistaken, will be opening a couple of locations in yer neck o'dawoods) or Five Guys.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2011, 03:52:44 pm »

Dont they have fresh maters down there in TX this time of year?  Its almost 4:00PM here and no lunch for me yet but perhaps something will find its way into my kitchen before sunset.  I sorta have a craving for a homemade Maryland style crabcake and if I can get to the fish market before 5:00 it just may happen.  (broilled of course since I gots to watch what I eat now-a-days)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2011, 04:02:27 pm »
I love creamed greens and jerk chicken.  I also like dark roast coffee with Bailey's creamer (has to be the nonalcoholic creamer, used to be the real thing). 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2011, 04:07:19 pm »
I thought Wumpy has a bad lipid panel and has recently blimped up -- should he be eating such things in the first place?

DISCUSS!

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 04:09:27 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2011, 04:11:28 pm »
Pick your poison:

http://www.fatcalories.com/

At least he did not go for the Wendy's Triple Everything Cheeseburger.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 04:13:44 pm by hope_for_a_cure »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2011, 04:17:26 pm »
Miss P, what's the name of the fab Chinese place in Philadelphia? I have to go down there for an ACT UP meeting in September and would love to gorge on some good eats.

Info, please!
Andy Velez

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2011, 04:22:54 pm »
Miss P, what's the name of the fab Chinese place in Philadelphia? I have to go down there for an ACT UP meeting in September and would love to gorge on some good eats.

Info, please!

http://www.handynasty.net/

You'll love it -- it's right off Front St on the waterfront, or also a block south of the 2nd St subway station (Market St Line). It's not over-priced but it's popular so you will want to call and reserve a table just to be safe.

Then go have dessert back up on Market St at this place:  

http://www.franklinfountain.com/

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2011, 05:16:01 pm »
Great! Thanks a lot. Report to follow. I am already salivating in anticipation of...

By the way, are you familiar with Tchin-Tchin here on E 49th St? Their shrimp in grand marnier are really something.

Thanks again.

Andy Velez

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2011, 06:00:47 pm »
Great! Thanks a lot. Report to follow. I am already salivating in anticipation of...

By the way, are you familiar with Tchin-Tchin here on E 49th St? Their shrimp in grand marnier are really something.

Thanks again.

No. When I lived in NYC I always went to this place called Sweet & Tart Cafe which was in a basement dive on Mott St. -- quite sure it's closed now but they still have a branch in Flushing. Speaking of Flushing, I've read that this new Asian multi-story mall just opened and has a bunch of great food places -- called New World Mall and I definitely want to go out there next time I'm in NYC:

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/2011/08/the_10_tastiest.php

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2011, 06:04:16 pm »
More good news. Salivating has turned to shameless slobbering here.

Reminds me to find someone who is into saliva.
Andy Velez

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2011, 06:18:07 pm »
Here ya go
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 06:20:47 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2011, 06:19:05 pm »
I thought Wumpy has a bad lipid panel and has recently blimped up -- should he be eating such things in the first place?

DISCUSS!

Please Dayba, I have the best Lipid panel of all you salad eating, fish oil drinking peeps.

And yes, I may have put on a few pounds since I gave up the cancer sticks 4 months ago, but I wouldnt call 5'11 and 165 "blimping up", are you aware who else is 5'11, 165? That's right, Brad Pitt. 8)

Suck it fatty.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2011, 06:28:55 pm »
may have put on a few pounds since I gave up the cancer sticks 4 months ago, but I wouldnt call 5'11 and 165 "blimping up", are you aware who else is 5'11, 165?

::cough::

Willy, boo.  Come on.  First you shave off 6 years from your age, and now 15 pounds from your weight?  ::)

You only have to worry about doing that on adam4adam.   :-*

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2011, 07:08:12 pm »

Willy, boo.  Come on.  First you shave off 6 years from your age, and now 15 pounds from your weight?  ::)

Oh ok, so now I am 49 and 180  ::)

In that case...

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2011, 07:26:16 pm »
Conch Fritters from Chef Creole's - I really don't eat seafood, but love their conch fritters:
http://chefcreole.com/chefcreole/home.php

Of course, Miller's Ale House for an ice cold Corona and a 20 oz. Porterhouse steak:
http://www.millersalehouse.com/HOME.htm

Great place for ribs - some of the best around and a great 2-4-1 Happy Hour, M-F from 4-7:
http://flanigans.net/

and for those real special occasions - if a Brazilian steakhouse - with every cut of meat and all you can eat is your style, you gotta try Chima (dinner for 2, with drinks and tip runs about $130, but so worth it:
http://chima.cc/

and I love most every kind of pizza --- of course, I am partial to the one with the most MEAT on it.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2011, 07:39:14 pm »
What do you guys do for takeout pizza? We had a Papa Murphy's open just down the road they have become our favorite. It is the take and bake kind. We are having it tonight!

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2011, 07:47:55 pm »
Good pizza, like good Chinese food, is hard to find here in South Florida -- I have only recently discovered a few worthwhile pizza places (and I have been living down here almost 14 years)

The best I have found and it is only a couple of blocks from my job -
Nino's - They don't have a website, but here is a Yelp review of them:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/ninos-pizza-miami

Another good one near my apartment is Mario's Pizza and Pasta - (they also have great philly steak hoagies):
http://mariopizzamiami.com/

Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline buginme2

« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2011, 08:23:22 pm »
My problem, as evidenced by my ever expanding waist line is that I like ALL kinds of food. 

I am a self-proclaimed pizza snob.  Like south florida, it is also hard to get a good pizza pie here in the pacific northwest.  I am currently performing a survey of all the pizza joints in the greater seattle area to find a thin crust new york style pie.  The search continues.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline mecch

« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2011, 08:43:00 pm »
What i also factor into appreciation is when I get delicious food at right price.  Tasty exotic food one doesnt often make at home, at the right price.  That's the genius of big American cities because there are so many delicious cuisines from around the world you can get for a reasonable price.  You can pay an arm and a leg for just about any cuisine in a big American city but there is always amazing cheap (or at least reasonable) eats, too.  

Switzerland utterly fails on this point,  It is improving at a snail pace.  The chinese restaurant down the street costs 120-160 bucks for dinner for two.  WTF?  Its good but about the same quality of any decent neighborhood chinese restaurant in NY.  Which I am sure you can get out of in 2011 for 50 bucks for 2.  Right?  

I have seen a dozen Indian restaurants open and close cause the immigrant owners couldn't figure out the price point to get in a crowd.   A very casual somali place is doing well, at about 100 bucks for 2.  Young people here seem to be able to deal with that but it yanks my chain.

You have heard of the Big Mac index as expanded by UBS (Union Banque Suisse).  Its the hours one must work at the average local wage to afford a Big Mac in that place.  Swiss Bank precision.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index

So if the average time in the world is 35 minutes of labour to buy a big mac, its only maybe 12 minutes for an American, and 100 minutes for a worker in some cities in Africa, South America.  (And they dont factor in the desperately poor - its about the same "middle class" occupations in every country.)

I doubt I could ever get used to 150 bucks for a chinese dinner having been spoilt in the US.
By contrast, you can have a delicious fondue for 2 for 60 bucks including wine.  

Germany has NO minimum wage and people dont have all that much money. Restaurants are cheap, for Europe!  And cheaper than NY too.

The other day i was in a small village and stopped in a little grocery and the guy made me a ham and cheese sandwhich for the standard 10 bucks.  I jumped for joy when i started eating it because it actually tasted like a generous and delicious American type of sandwich.
The standard one here is a smear of butter, 1 slice of ham, two tiny slices of cheese covering at best 1/2 the bread surface total, and if you are very lucky a miniscule sliver of pickle.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2011, 08:59:31 pm »
Good pizza, like good Chinese food, is hard to find here in South Florida -- I have only recently discovered a few worthwhile pizza places (and I have been living down here almost 14 years)

The best I have found and it is only a couple of blocks from my job -
Nino's - They don't have a website, but here is a Yelp review of them:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/ninos-pizza-miami

Another good one near my apartment is Mario's Pizza and Pasta - (they also have great philly steak hoagies):
http://mariopizzamiami.com/

Philippa my dear, I'm sure that you've eaten at Miami's Best in Coral Gables, across from our UM campus.  It is decadent, greasy, delicious, and cheap. if you haven't been there it's because you're still a Broward queen.

Another good place in Miami is Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza.  There is one nearby your house [in Aventura].

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #68 on: August 31, 2011, 11:28:37 pm »
::cough::

Willy, boo.  Come on.  First you shave off 6 years from your age, and now 15 pounds from your weight?  ::)

You only have to worry about doing that on adam4adam.   :-*

Not only that but she claims to have gained 20-25 lbs -- which means previously she was ~140 lbs. Now, since I'm the same height I can assure you, knowing I was 142 lbs during the lowest point of HIV waisting, that this look is not fetch. 140 lbs and 5'11" = Nazi concentration camp victim. Or a meth head.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2011, 11:31:56 pm »
What do you guys do for takeout pizza? We had a Papa Murphy's open just down the road they have become our favorite. It is the take and bake kind. We are having it tonight!

tsk tsk

http://www.francoandluigis.com/

Plus I can walk there. For more upscale this is the best I've had outside of NYC, and it recently won best in the state in Food & Wine:  http://www.osteriaphilly.com/

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #70 on: August 31, 2011, 11:37:34 pm »
ps: just got back from squid and eel sushi and maki at 1225 Raw. Delish, after a showing of Brighton Rock. How cute is Sam Riley? And he looks so great in a suit riding a Vespa.

Then I popped into that tragic establishment called Woody's and there was this queen with c. 1988 Catalina video hair wearing white cut off shorts and loads of botox. She was serving, but I'm not sure what exactly. I was dying to snap a pictar.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:40:11 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2011, 01:14:27 am »
I maintain that the traditional thin-crust/or doughy base wood-fired oven pizza's are the best and the ones in Italy are obviously the very best.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2011, 02:22:24 am »
As someone who once lived a block from the first pizzeria in the US I fail to understand what a resident of India knows about this subject.

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2011, 03:40:38 am »
As someone who once lived a block from the first pizzeria in the US I fail to understand what a resident of India knows about this subject.

I have lived in Europe and visited Italy a few times and the pizzas there left an indelible mark on my taste buds :).

Besides we have authentic pizzerias run by Italian expats, in this country too.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 07:50:56 am by spacebarsux »

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2011, 03:44:04 am »

Don't be so Amero-centric and I really tire of your rants against the brown man.

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2011, 03:47:01 am »

Don't be so Amero-centric and I really tire of your rants against the brown man.

Lol, you need to get off your Lousiana-centric horse too Hellraiser. (Joking ;))

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2011, 05:45:59 am »
Pizza is not my favorite but if I had to pick a place to have one it would be a little place in Bethesda MD (Geppetto's on Old Georgetown Road).  I remember the little pepperoni slices were crispy and curled up a bit and the crust was not too thick.  Thin and crispy crust IMHO is best.  If I have one slice of pizza every 3 years, thats enough for me.  Perhaps if I tried true NYC pizza I would change my mind but after years of it being served up to the masses in work meetings, its nothing I would venture out for.

http://geppettorestaurant.com/location.html

Offline mecch

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2011, 06:10:32 am »
"Pizza" is such a global word and has been for a long time.  There is great "pizza" all over the place.  There's a turkish kebab joint that serves a great "pizza".  I like classic "italian american" thick crust "sicilian" pizza (made by mexicans in my favorite NY joint) just as much as a pie in Sicily and they seem to be quite distant cousins, 3rd removed.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #78 on: September 01, 2011, 06:15:03 am »
There's a turkish kebab joint that serves a great "pizza". 

I would end up getting the kebabs there... maybe taste a piece of pizza if it was offered by the slice.

Offline mecch

« Reply #79 on: September 01, 2011, 06:37:19 am »
It does not come by the slice. It is a "pizza like" flat bread with tomatoes and meat and they roll it around kebaby fixings. and even the Kebab itself if you want.

I am a regular falafel eater if the joint can make it fresh tasting and its the sauce and salad that really makes 75% of the taste of the sandwich.   The Kebab meat is too often scary, even in a place that makes great fresh falafel.

I ordered a Kebab the other day in an unknown joint in another city and was enjoying the unusual richness for a few bites when it occurred to me, "that is not yogurt".  Sure enough the white sauce was mayonnaise.  A rather barfarific realisation.  The Swiss will also make a "curry chicken" sandwhich that is about 50% mayonnaise.  Add insult to injury, 50% of those include pineapple.  BARF.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: September 01, 2011, 06:49:10 am »
For pizza, Gino's East in Chicago is the best.

http://www.ginoseast.com/flash.html
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #81 on: September 01, 2011, 02:39:47 pm »
::raises Wumpy by five for lipid panel abuse::

Philly Cheesesteak, from legendary Geno's

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #82 on: September 01, 2011, 03:17:21 pm »
Although I enjoy the countless cuisines found in London I think I will pass on Icelandic, what follows is from

Arnaldur Indridason----Hypothermia---- after buying pickled liver sausage---" On the same shopping trip Erlendur had also bought some sour -lamb rolls , fatty Brest meat on the bone and a portion of sheep's head in jelly that he kept in a tub of pickling whey out on his balcony . "

The pickled liver sausage he eats with porridge.

I was served porridge and dried fish for breakfest on the Turkish Greek border it was vile.

Happy eating
theyer
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline denb45

« Reply #83 on: September 01, 2011, 03:21:20 pm »

AH YES  :P Love that place, best in Philly, like no other, there are copies all over the US, but I'm sorry they just aren't the same as Geno's  :P

Stop That Miss P, your making the big ole man HUNGRY  :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #84 on: September 01, 2011, 03:26:59 pm »
btw, I love when I see someone like this eating really fattening food

Oh, and you may recall this about Geno's -- see those signs in the window? This is that place that requires you to speak English only. Too bad Joey Vento, the nasty owner, croaked last week. Michelle Malkin pauses for some reflection.

I figured it was safe to eat there with him buried. I mostly avoided the place the last several years even though it's just five blocks away.

Offline denb45

« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2011, 03:34:50 pm »

Oh, and you may recall this about Geno's -- see those signs in the window? This is that place that requires you to speak English only. Too bad Joey Vento, the nasty owner, croaked last week. Michelle Malkin pauses for some reflection.

I figured it was safe to eat there with him buried. I mostly avoided the place the last several years even though it's just five blocks away.

I member that old man, @ at least what he looked like in 78/79, and that was ages ago way before most of you were in your teens  :D

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2011, 03:39:58 pm »
It's horribly over-priced and a tourist trap -- $9 for a cheesesteak. Add an order of fries and a coke (which is the size of a McD's small) and you come to $15.

Offline denb45

« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2011, 03:47:47 pm »
It's horribly over-priced and a tourist trap -- $9 for a cheesesteak. Add an order of fries and a coke (which is the size of a McD's small) and you come to $15.

Inflation @ it's best  :D

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2011, 04:39:34 pm »
Its toasted walnuts over fresh spinach tonight for me... with grapes, sliced mango, and fresh peaches as a side dish.  I will have a treat tomorrow when I go back to the Japanese place for a nice hibachi cooked STEAK!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2011, 06:02:08 pm »
OK, call me a slow learner as to food resources here. Now I DEFINITELY know that if I am traveling anywhere, this is where I should ask about where to eat.

I've already made note of the pizza place in Chicago for when I spend a week there in November for US Conference on AIDS.

And Ms. Phillicia, I am going to stick with HAN in Philadelphia later this month, although the Italian place ...well, that will have to be for another visit.
Andy Velez

Offline mecch

« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2011, 06:15:26 pm »
I have a hankering for fudge.

Little did I know its some kind of ancient preppy food conspiracy hatched in the Seven Sisters and probably the Masons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fudge

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2011, 06:19:33 pm »
Not only that but she claims to have gained 20-25 lbs -- which means previously she was ~140 lbs. Now, since I'm the same height I can assure you, knowing I was 142 lbs during the lowest point of HIV waisting, that this look is not fetch. 140 lbs and 5'11" = Nazi concentration camp victim. Or a meth head.

Lolwut. You queens are so funny.

::raises Wumpy by five for lipid panel abuse::

Philly Cheesesteak, from legendary Geno's

That looks amazing and it blows my lunch of 2 Arbys Beef n Cheddars out of the water (with large potato cakes of course).

-Will (who is currently making guacamole)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 06:32:26 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2011, 06:22:03 pm »

YUM!!  Lots of fresh garlic and hot sauce too no doubt.  Enjoy!

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2011, 06:33:16 pm »

In Florida we screw up the guacamole with sour cream.   I bet they do it right in Texas.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2011, 06:34:33 pm »
it blows my lunch of 2 Arbys Beef n Cheddars out of the water (with large potato cakes of course).

You had two Arbys Beef n Cheddars today after that lunch you had yesterday? ...there are no words

And while avocados have the "good" type of fat, they're still astronomically high in calories. You'd be OK if you'd had sushi for lunch, but alas you did not. (unlike me who had sushi for dinner last night)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 06:38:43 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2011, 06:35:46 pm »
You had two Arbys Beef n Cheddars today after that lunch you had yesterday? ...there are no words

At this rate La Guille is gonna be 280 pounds in no time.  Teh sex0r.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2011, 06:45:06 pm »
(with large potato cakes of course).
mmmmm I love those tater cakes at Arby's.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #97 on: September 01, 2011, 07:18:46 pm »
At this rate La Guille is gonna be 280 pounds in no time.  Teh sex0r.

At least once you're obese there's no longer any good reason to lie about your age. It's not like you can see your own cock at that point, much less a computer keyboard to peck out mancunt messages.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #98 on: September 01, 2011, 07:37:34 pm »
That looks amazing and it blows my lunch of 2 Arbys Beef n Cheddars out of the water (with large potato cakes of course).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vxQqdFOeoM

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2011, 08:20:30 pm »
Arby's fake meat gives me Explosive-D and as such I've not eaten at one since 2005.

I think dinner might just be 2 softly scrambled (organic) eggs on lightly toasted country white (from a real bakery, not the supermarket); then a bowl of sliced peaches
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 08:24:11 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2011, 08:25:46 pm »
At least once you're obese there's no longer any good reason to lie about your age. It's not like you can see your own cock at that point, much less a computer keyboard to peck out mancunt messages.

Ok, yall got me. I'm really 51, I weigh 210, oh and I am japanese    ::)

Just a bunch of trifling nancies all jealous and errthing. Dont hate me cause I'm beautiful. Now yall get back to your Lipid watching while I ahve myself a bowl of Rocky Road.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2011, 08:41:49 pm »
whatevs, Grandpa ;)

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2011, 08:52:09 pm »
So what do you all think about vegan dishes? I have had some delicious vegan meals at restaurants in Los Angeles but I have also tried some recipes that just didn't taste right or had weird texture. Veggie burgers are frequently hit or miss. I tried a natural foods restaurant that opened in Greensboro and it was not good. They closed within 6 months.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2011, 08:54:39 pm »
then a bowl of sliced peaches

The ones here really are good this year and I would guess its the same up there.  The hot and dry summer usually makes for a sweeter crop.  The pears should be better than average this year too.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2011, 08:58:40 pm »
The ones here really are good this year and I would guess its the same up there.  The hot and dry summer usually makes for a sweeter crop.  The pears should be better than average this year too.

yum, a good fresh peach is really heavenly. Is there anything better?

Fredericksburg Tx had a super sweet crop this year. It was delish, and after I brough a basket back the house had that sweet peach smell in it.  ;)

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2011, 09:01:17 pm »
My boss and work colleagues have a field day with me because I usually can't identify a lot of fruits or vegetables.  ::)
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline wolfter

« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2011, 09:05:07 pm »
So what do you all think about vegan dishes? I have had some delicious vegan meals at restaurants in Los Angeles but I have also tried some recipes that just didn't taste right or had weird texture. Veggie burgers are frequently hit or miss. I tried a natural foods restaurant that opened in Greensboro and it was not good. They closed within 6 months.

OK, now I can really join in.  There are some really awesome recipes that I have collected or created.  My favorite is a tofu/spinach lasagna that has fooled several people.  It is absolutely delicious.  I ate at my first Vietnamese vegetarian restaurant in Seattle and was quite disappointed.  Apparently they don't consider seafood to be meat.  My first bite of whatever I purchase found a slimy piece of shrimp.  Pretty much ruined the meal.  I still find Boga Burgers to be the best meat substitute to date.  

Baked eggplant over egg noodles without sauce is another favorite.  Oh, and a wilted lettuce salad with hot vinegar and oil dressing is extemely appealing.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2011, 09:15:29 pm »
hmmm, speaking of Vietnamese maybe I'll prance over for a bowl of phở tomorrow afternoon at "75" next to the Hung Vuong (indeed!) supermarket.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2011, 09:16:29 pm »
The peaches really are good this year.  Also been indulging in home grown fruits and veggies, tomatoes, cucumbers and watermelons, especially.

My neighbors brought me a cuke so big, I didn't know whether to eat it or date it.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline LM

« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2011, 09:19:28 pm »
Two places for pizza in the world: Naples, Italy and Sao Paulo, Brazil. Try them and you'll see.

I've tried many sorts of food and I generally like most. Italian food is top, followed by Japanese. Arab food is also excellent. And I just like any kind of meat, always willing to try a new one.

I have some problem with spicy food, though. So never really enjoyed Indian food. But I do like some things from Thai and Mexican cuisine.

One food I tried to like but couldn't after more than one try was Afghan food. Just didn't work.

Offline le_liseur

« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2011, 09:21:24 pm »

Is foie gras vegan ? Because I love it... ;)

Love fresh sea food and shells, love the portugese pork & clams with coriander, and I love the national fastfood plate we make here : poutine! Add some snails, it will be even better!

There's a small joint I love to go to and they make their poutine gravy sauce with chicken stock and red wine. It adds so much more to it!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2011, 09:21:35 pm »
Is it a good time to mention the squid sushi and eel maki I had for dinner last night? ::)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2011, 09:25:39 pm »
Is foie gras vegan ? Because I love it... ;)

That would be so nice!  I tried it as a youngster and really, really liked it until it was explained what it was.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2011, 09:33:08 pm »
I live for foie gras... followed by a plate of bone marrow.

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2011, 09:34:14 pm »
Damn Good Burger (DGB) in Miami has some great burgers - just opened a few months ago - close to the job - my boss and I have started making it a routine to visit at least once a week:

http://dgbmiami.com/

Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline le_liseur

« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2011, 09:41:18 pm »
I live for foie gras... followed by a plate of bone marrow.

What you said. Bone marrow... hmm!! I just ate and I'm hungry again...

There's a nice recipe for onion soup with bone marrow crisps on top. Delicious.

I'm going to the grocery, now. Bye!

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2011, 12:33:45 am »
I love food. Unfortunately, I restrict my intake of some of the foods listed below for the sake of my lipids and continued good health.

I love good New Mexican food. It's extra spicy, none of that sour cream crap, and is always served with frijoles, either whole or refried,  and corn tortillas (at least when I insist.)

Remember, green chile is a food group. It goes with everything, just like garlic. ;D

I also adore Thai food.

I love game meat. There is something about wild meat that is just yummy, and it is usually lower in cholesterol.

As far as meats go, I like a good steak, medium rare, but I adore pork. I even like head cheese (the luncheon meat, not the other). Lamb is yummy, especially medium rare.

I also like liver, calves liver is pretty good, but I prefer pork liver. I like it just a bit pink in the center.

I love seafood, just about all kinds. I eat lots of grilled trout.  I love fish with robust flavors, such as butterfish, sardines, anchovies and caviar (kind of a pre-fish.)

I love paella, and its distant cousin, the crab boil.

I am now developing a taste for vegetarian food. Of course, because it has to be gluten free, it makes it more interesting, and challenging at times. I have been exploring new and exciting recipes using tofu. Grilled marinated tofu is really quite tasty and makes a nice substitute for luncheon meat on a sandwich.

I have developed a real affinity for refritos, the vegetarian kind, made from fresh, locally grown pinto beans. I also like Anasazi beans.

Foods I dislike, hmmm . . .  

I can choke down most anything. ::)

Most of my dislikes stem from being gluten intolerant or in a fat-restricted lifestyle.

So . . .

I don't eat French or Italian food. I don't eat anything that is breaded, don't eat fast food, don't consume pastries, breads or rolls, and eschew most breakfast cereals and sandwiches. (Store bought gluten free bread is an acquired taste at best, but I make my own and it makes OK sandwiches.)

I like cheese, but don't eat it often. Too much fat. I did find some imitation cheese made from rice that tasted vaguely like Velveeta that I use on my gluten free sandwiches.

Chinese foods are yummy, but I am limited to what I can order because I cannot have regular soy sauce or teryaki sauce. Same goes for sushi. Some of it is OK, but none that contains imitation crab. I am exploring Indian food, but, it also can contain gluten, so I have to be alert.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 12:41:12 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2011, 03:40:59 am »
Speaking of vegetarian options, being the most vegetarian country on the planet (I think)- we have an enormous range of choices and really delicious ones too.

The concept of vegan food doesn't exist here though. Dairy products are an integral part of Indian diet.

Also, I think this whole notion of Indian food being really spicy is a myth. Indian food can be made spicy or not- it is not universally spicy (although there are parts of India where the food is really hot). The Indian food in the UK and in Europe is relatively mild and non-spicy.

Some of my favourite Indian veggie snacks:-

Samosa (Like a deep fried pastry with a filling of potatoes)

Chhole Bhature (Deep firied Indian bread with chick peas)

Masala Dosa (Something like a savoury crepe/pancake with a filling of potatoes served with lentil curry)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 03:50:44 am by spacebarsux »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2011, 04:45:36 am »
I also love a good buffalo roast.  One of my Native American friends gets buffalo from a taxidermist, and fixed a roast one time, with baby onions and brown rice. Mmmmm......

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #119 on: September 02, 2011, 04:58:53 am »
Also is anyone a Japanese food fan?

I love Udon noodles.

has anyone tried Korean food? (No, not the live squid)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 05:02:28 am by spacebarsux »

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #120 on: September 02, 2011, 06:12:27 am »
Also is anyone a Japanese food fan?
has anyone tried Korean food? (No, not the live squid)

YES!  Love hibachi cooked beef and veggies as well as most sushi.  Miso soup and their fresh ginger dressing over a nice salad are tasty as well. Korean food is good too... some of the best I ever had was in Annondale, VA. (where one has many options to choose from).   

There is actually a pretty good Japanese Steak House not far from here and I will make my way there later today for my meal for the day. 

Offline mecch

« Reply #121 on: September 02, 2011, 07:42:47 am »
Anything with chickpeas, thank you please, I'll have more!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2011, 08:53:05 am »
40-garlic roasted chicken with root vegetable puree -- one of my favorite meals.

Offline mecch

« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2011, 10:48:59 am »
What qualifies as a "natural foods restaurant" these days?
it's not the 80's.
If it ain't delicious nobody's gonna want it now, no matter how PC the resto and sanctimoniously fulfilling the fare.

Tell me, do cruise ships have good food?  Does it depend what class cabin you book?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2011, 11:12:41 am »
A large cruise ship has a variety of dining options that are built into the price, and the quality will vary from line to line. I've taken two cruises (with my parents, no less) and one was on Princess Cruises and other on some obscure Greek line in the Aegean. They all have buffet rooms that you can use for any meals, but then also have the option for formal dining with set times where you have to reserve a table. A large cruise ship will have additional options of "a la carte" separate restaurants as well.

I'd label most of it as "hotel food" but in a good, standard type of hotel. If you're used to eating at Applebee's the food will seem deliriously luxurious in comparison. If your taste standards are elevated you'll find it middling, but passable. If you like eating a lot of food and as much of it as you want, then you'll be a pig in shit. As I didn't pay for any of these trips I just ate a normal amount of food and focused on port-of-call sight seeing. I forced my parents into doing more of the formal dining than the buffet, though we always did the buffet for breakfast.

My parents have also done the Queen Mary 2 and, of course, that's a much higher step up than other lines.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2011, 11:32:57 am »
I enjoy what good Southern chef's are doing with soul food these days. Fusing it with cuisines from around the globe. Who knew grits (polenta) could be so versatile. I had a wonderful local peach shortcake made with grappa and topped with a chantilly cream. Yummers.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 11:36:14 am by Dachshund »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #126 on: September 14, 2011, 05:14:59 pm »
Thought I would share my drive-thru Pad Thai that I had about an hour ago. Extra hot, I told Ping that if my nose doesn't run while I'm eating it than I'm coming back and throwing it in his face. Needless to say he did good.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #127 on: September 14, 2011, 05:53:43 pm »
Is that your idea of exotic?

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #128 on: September 14, 2011, 06:03:02 pm »
Is that your idea of exotic?

hmm, did I say "Look at my freakin' exotic lunch?".

No. I did not.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 06:04:46 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #129 on: September 14, 2011, 06:08:18 pm »
Are those your jeans under the food container?  Do I see wood  ::)?

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #130 on: September 14, 2011, 06:19:30 pm »
Are those your jeans under the food container?  Do I see wood  ::)?

Yes, Balsa.  :o

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2011, 06:29:54 pm »
Are those your jeans under the food container?  Do I see wood  ::)?

Yup. it's possible you're seeing some bulge action there, the container was sitting in my lap I was careening down the highway, fork in one hand, camera in the other.

Is that exotic enough for ya P?

@Joe - Please Barbara. It's redwood.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 06:33:54 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2011, 09:20:28 am »
Thought I would share my drive-thru Pad Thai that I had about an hour ago.

I misread that as iPad Thai. Do they have an app for that?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2011, 09:47:03 am »

Moving from Sebring, Florida to a small town 10 minutes outside of South Boston has opened up many new options for me food wise.  No more Ruby Tuesday's for me, thank you!   I'm sure I won't have any problems finding a good Italian restaurant now. 

Offline denb45

« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2011, 10:52:49 am »
Thought I would share my drive-thru Pad Thai that I had about an hour ago. Extra hot, I told Ping that if my nose doesn't run while I'm eating it than I'm coming back and throwing it in his face. Needless to say he did good.

Willy......you better check the level of MSG & Sodium in the Thai food, you know that isn't good for your Kidneys, as we both have the same problem, next time try some baked-fish w/ lemon-juice, and white-rice, much better for your kidneys, and leave the proceed-foods alone, they already contain way too much sodium  :)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2011, 11:40:43 am »
Willy......you better check the level of MSG & Sodium in the Thai food, you know that isn't good for your Kidneys, as we both have the same problem, next time try some baked-fish w/ lemon-juice, and white-rice, much better for your kidneys, and leave the proceed-foods alone, they already contain way too much sodium  :)

Why you gotta go rainin' on my Pad Thai parade!!

Coincidentally my appt with a Nephrologist is at 1 today, and I am terrified he is going to slap a restricted diet on my ass. sigh.  :(

-Will

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2011, 11:44:03 am »
Isn't white rice considered a "processed" food?

Offline mecch

« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2011, 06:46:49 pm »
I love tuna salad sandwiches

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2011, 06:52:54 pm »
I love tuna salad sandwiches

I do too, and chicken salad. Love tuna melts as well but they're better if you use good bread from a bakery and have it run through a slicing machine and with a better caliber cheese. In addition to the normal mayo based tuna salad I also like the Italian version with olive oil and capers.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2011, 07:16:31 pm »
I do too, and chicken salad. Love tuna melts as well but they're better if you use good bread from a bakery and have it run through a slicing machine and with a better caliber cheese. In addition to the normal mayo based tuna salad I also like the Italian version with olive oil and capers.

Actually that is one thing I will not eat (surprise), Tuna Salad. All because of a babysitter that used to make me eat them until I threw up.. i've been scarred ever since. I do adore chicken Salad though.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #140 on: September 16, 2011, 07:25:38 pm »
Egg salad frightens me. So do deviled eggs.

Offline denb45

« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2011, 07:28:22 pm »
Isn't white rice considered a "processed" food?

YES, but only 16% is used in each of processed foods and beer,  you better NOT be tryin to call me a rice queen  :D

Offline denb45

« Reply #142 on: September 16, 2011, 07:32:46 pm »
Why you gotta go rainin' on my Pad Thai parade!!

Coincidentally my appt with a Nephrologist is at 1 today, and I am terrified he is going to slap a restricted diet on my ass. sigh.  :(

-Will

And you probably don't have anything to worry about, as you have not been on MEDS for  the last 22 yrs. like I have, also you are a lot younger than me, so you'll be ok, so don't worry too much about it  ;D

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #143 on: September 16, 2011, 07:37:30 pm »
also you are a lot younger than me

Actually nobody is really sure exactly what age La Wumpette is... I don't think even she knows since she's been fabricating the number for so long.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #144 on: September 16, 2011, 07:58:14 pm »
Actually nobody is really sure exactly what age La Wumpette is... I don't think even she knows since she's been fabricating the number for so long.

LOL. you're so fixated on me. It's clear you want me, but you dont know how to express it except by making up some mythical fabrication story and gunning for me because I am beautiful. This isnt my first rodeo, I've seen it all before.  :-*

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #145 on: September 16, 2011, 08:01:43 pm »
LOL. you're so fixated on me. It's clear you want me, but you dont know how to express it except by making up some mythical fabrication story and gunning for me because I am beautiful. This isnt my first rodeo, I've seen it all before.  :-*

Naw, that's just your cognitive dementia setting in now that you're a grandfather.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #146 on: September 16, 2011, 08:08:58 pm »
Naw, that's just your cognitive dementia setting in now that you're a grandfather.

you DO realize that you are old enough to be a Grandpa also.

So many great comebacks available, * must resist the urge. cannot break rules.*
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 08:11:25 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2011, 08:21:26 pm »
you DO realize that you are old enough to be a Grandpa also.

So many great comebacks available, * must resist the urge. cannot break rules.*

Oh please -- my straight brother is four years older then me and still has a kid in high school. My family members don't marry at 16 and when already pregnant. You think I grew up in a trailer park or something? Even my grandmother didn't have her first child until her late 20's.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 08:23:52 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #148 on: September 16, 2011, 08:23:41 pm »
Oh please -- my straight brother is four years older then me and still has a kid in high school. My family members don't marry at 16 and when already pregnant. You think I grew up in a trailer park or something?

all this blabbering about trailer parks still doesnt dismiss the fact that you ARE old enough to be a Grandpa.

We can call you "Peepaw P" or what about "Popo P"

:-*
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #149 on: September 16, 2011, 08:24:31 pm »
all this trailer park blabbering still doesnt dismiss the fact that you ARE old enough to be a Grandpa.

We can call you "Peepaw P" or what about "Popo P"

:-*

Honey, I knew I was gay when I was 12 -- unlike some of you late blooming cocksuckers.

ps: I'm watching Scarlett Johansson in Ghost World and wishing I had a vanilla milkshake right now.

Offline elf

« Reply #150 on: September 17, 2011, 04:00:03 am »
favorite: Mediterranean cuisine, Spanish cuisine, South Indian [=fish, fish and more fish]
least favorite: French (saturated fat), Brazilian (saturated fat and cholesterol), Italian (exploding with carbo)

I like Mexican and Thai food too, but nothing special. :)

Offline mecch

« Reply #151 on: September 17, 2011, 04:09:55 am »
Every culture has dishes that are "unhealthy".   ??? ???

Oh and some of those unhealthy dishes are delicious.  :o ;D

I dont see many fat people in France. Have you never heard of the French Pardox?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #152 on: September 17, 2011, 11:18:27 am »

I dont see many fat people in France. Have you never heard of the French Pardox?

This is very true, you rarely see an obese person in France. Plus they really do walk a lot. When I've visited I was always in someone's home, rarely a hotel. Food in someone's daily life there isn't laden with "classic" sauces as in a fancy restaurant. And they're quite good with portion control.

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #153 on: September 17, 2011, 08:22:30 pm »
Just got back from a great dinner and drinks (2-4-1 Coronas) at Duffy's sports bar in North Miami -- about 3 miles from my place ---- great crowd, great food, great view --- and 600 large flat screen t.v.'s showing every sports event imaginable ---- the wings were great, the burgers were great and the Coronas - well, that goes without saying...

Oh, and they have a swimming pool and a large outside area --- so lots of men w/o shirts ----mmmm mmmm mmm      and there were women there too (:: yawn)

http://www.duffysmvp.com/NorthMiami/index.php

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 08:58:56 pm by phildinftlaudy »
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #154 on: September 17, 2011, 08:47:52 pm »
And they're quite good with portion control.

I think this is big difference with American restaurants compared to other countries. The portion size at most American restaurant chains is huge. The soft drinks alone with free refills or enormous size cups add lots of simple sugars to a meal. It adds up.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #155 on: September 17, 2011, 10:32:11 pm »
The soft drinks alone with free refills or enormous size cups add lots of simple sugars to a meal. It adds up.

Have yall seen the MASSIVE plastic insulated to-go cups at convenience stores now? They are the size of crockpots.

It's sad. and usually there is a 300 pound wall of fat hogging up the soda machine filling those things up.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #156 on: September 17, 2011, 10:44:31 pm »
Have yall seen the MASSIVE plastic insulated to-go cups at convenience stores now? They are the size of crockpots.

My brother came out of the gas station store with one of those and I told him I think he got the drink cups confused with a popcorn tubs. We dubbed it The Bladder Buster 3000.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #157 on: September 17, 2011, 11:47:14 pm »
My brother came out of the gas station store with one of those and I told him I think he got the drink cups confused with a popcorn tubs. We dubbed it The Bladder Buster 3000.

When it takes two hands to lift your drinking cup there's an issue there somewhere.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #158 on: September 17, 2011, 11:53:04 pm »
When it takes two hands to lift your drinking cup there's an issue there somewhere.

The issue is usually in their thighs and ass.  ;D
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #159 on: September 18, 2011, 12:28:51 am »
fyi: I lost 8 lbs. this month without trying

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #160 on: September 18, 2011, 03:01:38 am »
I think this is big difference with American restaurants compared to other countries. The portion size at most American restaurant chains is huge. The soft drinks alone with free refills or enormous size cups add lots of simple sugars to a meal. It adds up.

This was probably the only culture shock I had when I visited.

But Asia and Europe are starting to give you guys stiff competition now.

Offline mecch

« Reply #161 on: September 18, 2011, 07:39:18 am »
Where in Europe did you find big portions?
In Switzerland the portions are protestant "correct" e.g. never generous.  Though in a old fashioned Swiss corner restaurant you can sometimes ask and get a "second service" of certain dishes, after you have finished your first one.  Like in a Norman Rockwell family meal.  This might be an idea for American restaurants though it would add complications to the service.  I am sure most customers would just be content with the first helping and those who wanted more wouldn't feel gipped, and the restaurant would throw away less food.  

The above comments are mostly about portion control and that's on the national agenda now thanks to Michelle and the FDA experts.

However it strikes me as ironic that this restaurant has 600 flat screen TVs  - as this possibility seems to go hand in hand with a culture that has a unique sense of consumption - so tub size sodas are possible. 

I dont remember HUGE sodas when I was a boy, maybe as a teenager in the late 70's you could get a 24 oz "huge" soda at the movies??  Does anybody remember when things went supersize?? In the 80's I was in NYC and it was the inverse - everyone thought how exciting and clever and what a glamorous rip off nouvelle cuisine miniature portions were!  It was always 4 little objets d'art on a big plate with some meager swirl of liquid.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 07:46:51 am by mecch »

Offline mecch

« Reply #162 on: September 18, 2011, 07:51:39 am »
Also in the 70's and 80's I don't remember a lot of fat people.  These huge portions must have happened in the 80's and 90's? Sounds like it will be a tough battle for the US.

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #163 on: September 18, 2011, 09:01:22 am »
Where in Europe did you find big portions?

Some places in England but you're right its not really comparable. I haven't seen gigantic portions like I did in the States elsewhere...I kinda miss that though.  :)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #164 on: September 18, 2011, 10:46:49 am »

and there were women there too (:: yawn)

See, that's the great thing about being bi. Twice the amount of eye-candy to drool over. :)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #165 on: September 18, 2011, 12:30:20 pm »
See, that's the great thing about being bi. Twice the amount of eye-candy to drool over. :)
there were some good looking women -- but they just increase the competition factor ---  ::)

Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #166 on: September 18, 2011, 06:38:43 pm »
Ann and Phil, please do not sidetrack this thread. I don't want to have to give out Time Outs. LOL

Get back to discussing food.
Andy Velez

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #167 on: September 18, 2011, 06:44:15 pm »
Ann and Phil, please do not sidetrack this thread. I don't want to have to give out Time Outs. LOL

I think we need some bans up in here!!!
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #168 on: September 18, 2011, 06:56:53 pm »
I think we need some bans up in here!!!

Post a pic of Justin eating a hotdog and you might get one.

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #169 on: September 18, 2011, 09:15:25 pm »

LOL --- I thought we were discussing food --- and it definitely fit with the Favourite Foods / Cuisines and least favourite cuisines title   ;D
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline wolfter

« Reply #170 on: September 18, 2011, 09:28:00 pm »
Is appalachian beef a food?   ;D ;D  Self imposed TO til morning.  Had a great evening, night y'all.

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #171 on: September 19, 2011, 02:31:29 am »
I had Russian food for the first time yesterday.

I don't think I will try it again unless I move to some place with subzero temperature and gale force winds.

Offline Growler

« Reply #172 on: September 19, 2011, 03:59:26 am »
Reading through the thread, I feel positively neanderthal in my palate, which on the best of days doesn't get adventurous as 3 veg and meat. That said I  do have one major weakness, whipped cream in a can.....Nothing better than taking a bite of warm baked cheese cake then filling the rest of your mouth with whipped cream straight from the can!

Growler
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #173 on: September 19, 2011, 08:06:47 am »

OMG, I am so loving this place!  Even with the prospect of freezing my ass off in a few months.  We ate at some place called Bartucci's and I finally has some eggplant parmesan made the right way.  And I am making some shrimp fried rice tonight and get this-- I'm using fresh shrimp that hasn't been deep freezed.

After living in Sebring for the last 6 years this is a big change.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #174 on: September 19, 2011, 10:23:00 am »
I had Russian food for the first time yesterday.

I don't think I will try it again unless I move to some place with subzero temperature and gale force winds.

I guess yours aren't as fiercely mafia as our Russian restaurants:

http://www.mygoldengates.com/

You have to love a restaurant that blasts bad club music on their web site. Supposedly the food is great, and men and women in sequined outfits give performance/floor shows and lipsync GaGa songs (eek!) and Russian pop. Too bad it's at the entire other end of the city from me -- 20 miles away.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:28:05 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline mecch

« Reply #175 on: September 19, 2011, 10:31:09 am »
Favorite picture is the strip mall exterior of the restaurant, draped in white sheets for an elegant soiree, with the dingy parking lot and the big red marlboro ashtray.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #176 on: September 19, 2011, 10:42:22 am »
Favorite picture is the strip mall exterior of the restaurant, draped in white sheets for an elegant soiree, with the dingy parking lot and the big red marlboro ashtray.

The photo gallery is awesome indeed -- they're channeling that Ian Schrager feeling on a budget. The place is so tacky it's kitsch. Not that they intended it that way, of course.

Make sure you venture into the video gallery section! I may have to have my gay marriage reception at Golden Gates!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:45:41 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline mecch

« Reply #177 on: September 19, 2011, 12:33:22 pm »
It is so tacky it is wonderful, as many russian things are.  I am sure its a lot of fun and the food probably isnt that bad at all.  I would rather get married in a place like this than some soulless so-called tasteful upscale place.  Probably the right kind of hall for heavy drinking and shameless dancing.  The worst weddings I have been to have been the most pretentious affairs where people stay too uptight.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 12:35:46 pm by mecch »

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #178 on: September 19, 2011, 11:41:17 pm »
I guess yours aren't as fiercely mafia as our Russian restaurants:

The one I went to was more like Communist Russia type restaurant. The owner of the place are a Russian couple who themselves cook and serve, and have a helper. The place has only 4 tables capable of seating 16 people.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 11:47:29 pm by spacebarsux »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.