Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:41:37 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 624
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 602
Total: 602

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Thinking of retiring to the Philippines  (Read 2679 times)

Offline DanL

Thinking of retiring to the Philippines
« on: October 06, 2015, 08:23:06 am »
I'm reaching that age when I can start to think about retirement.  Back when I first contracted this virus I never thought I'd never reach retirement.  Many of my friends from back then didn't.  Unfortunately for me I didn't plan well for something I didn't think I'd ever see so I face the option of continuing to work here until I either drop or can't work any longer or retiring to someplace outside the US that's cheaper.  I have a small SS retirement which should allow me to live in the Philippines somewhat comfortably if not frugally.  I can afford to buy my own meds there but I'm having a devil of a time trying to get information about how to buy meds there.  It seems that most people get them for free through something called ARV or AVR and if I understand correctly it sounds like the meds they get through that program are limited to certain ones.  I currently take Sustiva and Epzicom and would like to continue to do so since I've had no issues with them.  Can anyone shed some light on my research?  Can I buy there what I need from private pharmacies.  Can I buy from other places like India and have them shipped in?  Any help would be appreciated even if it's to point me in a direction that I can find appropriate answers.  Thanks

Offline MitchMiller

Re: Thinking of retiring to the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 04:42:49 am »
Are you sure you can emigrate to The Philippines?  Have you checked the current visa restrictions? 

This information is outdated, but they used to require you to be HIV negative.  I've read you can stay on a tourist visa so long as you leave the country periodically.  However, you might run the risk of being deported if you seek HIV medical care.

"No restrictions for short-term tourist stays lasting up to six months. Applicants for a permanent visa must undergo medical examination including an HIV test. This also applies to visitors who wish to extend an existing visa."

This member hasn't posted here recently, but he and his partner emigrated to Costa Rica and they are both HIV+.  That might be an option for you.  His moniker is Hoover.  http://forums.poz.com/index.php?action=profile;u=27977
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 04:58:33 am by MitchMiller »

Offline DanL

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 05:16:15 pm »
MitchMiller
You're the first and I hope not the last to reply to my query.  Thank you! In my research on retiring to the Philippines, I've not come across any medical testing requirements.  I did, however, see where Thailand requires a blood test which is too bad as I really like Thailand.  The Philippines on the other hand is very welcoming of retirees and has a whole department, the Philippine Retirement Authority, to help ease the way for foreigners who want to retire there.  The process is really quite liberal.  I do appreciate your mentioning Costa Rica as an alternate retirement destination.  I hadn't even give that a thought and it's a place I've always wanted to visit.  I've heard so many great things about it and I would think that Spanish would be easier to learn than Tagalog!  LOL - I hope!!!

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 11:05:44 pm »
Philippines HIV Travel, Entry, Stay, and Residence Link:

http://www.hivtravel.org/Default.aspx?PageId=143&CountryId=144
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.