Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:21:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773275
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 451
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 373
Total: 374

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Who and Where is the best doc?  (Read 3980 times)

Offline FiercenBed

Who and Where is the best doc?
« on: December 22, 2006, 05:25:17 pm »
if ya read my previous post "Jesus....Kaletra Truvada & Now Sustiva" ull c what my doc has called me an oddity. After 7 months of Kaletra and Truvda my CD4 are up in the 400's, but my vl will not suppress. The doc dosnt understand y and sez therz no reason for it.

So @ the end of the day he wants to add Sustiva <devil's posion from what i read around here> to the mix. So the Sustiva arrived today and im sitting here looking at the bottle and thinking about some options. after a suicidal aclamation period w/ the kaletra im finally feeling pretty well. i really dont wanna take this sh*t.

In my opinion i just need a little push but he wants to drop the whole dam building on top of me. So y not get a 2nd oppinion. What can it hurt? My doc is a 'hot head' so itz kinda hard to discuss options w/ him.

Iv always bn the kinda of person who starts @ the top. So who and where would i go to get the best treatment? I know we all have docs here who we think are great or bad. But im talking top of the line. im an airline employee so i can travel anywhere in the world. y be restrained by american health care? rock hudson went to paris. didnt work out to well. that gallo dude is suppose to be here in baltimore somewhere. iv bn to johns hopkins and wasnt impressed for the $300.00 bill and still waiting out the 4 months to see the dermatologist.

Iv even thought about calling Abbot and saying hey whatz the deal here with this snake oil ur selling.

"best hiv doctor" google search dosnt return much. so if anybody has some suggestions or some links or emails to provide it would be greatly appreciated.

im gonna hold off on this sustiva stuff till after new years.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 05:32:29 pm by FiercenBed »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: Who and Where is the best doc?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2006, 05:34:37 pm »
Well, from one who doesn't have the whole of the world at his medical disposal, I'm envious of the breadth of your options & ability to accept 'only the best'.  Having found out my staus when I had been laid off and without insurance, my options weren't nearly as wide-open.

I agree about the waiting with the Sustiva, though.  It took me several, several months to get my VL down to undetectable.  And even with my limited options, I would request a boot be given to any doc that was 'hot head' enough to make me feel unable to freely discuss options.  No thanks to that!  Good luck.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 05:06:32 pm »
Sustiva isn't the witch's brew everyone makes it out to be.  It depends on the person and you may find that after the initial drunkiness you'll do fine with the drug.  I have been on Sustiva since I started my meds in November and other than the initial bout of dizziness the first couple of nights, it's been great for me. 

The best doc is the one who'll listen and will ask questions of other docs when he doesn't know.  A "know-it-all" is dangerous and as Tim says should be booted!  Ask around in your area, I am sure there is a doctor other Poz people will refer you to.

Good luck on the search.
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 07:02:01 pm »
If you fly American .. then here in the Dallas area ( American Hdqtrs) there are several "best" HIV Drs.......I use Dr N. Bellos...he runs clinical trials ..is out front with the latest info and is very easy to talk to ....of course that means he is busy..takes about a month for new patient to get appointment....there are two or three others..one at the VA hospital ...  he may take private patients as well  and one at Baylor Medical center.....All of them have been written up in the DALLAS magazine as "best" at one time or another recently...DR Bellos has been "best" two or three times... I am sure there are others around the country.........
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 03:25:35 am »
LOL, Poz send him to Baylor, he'll get lost in there and we won't hear from him for a year. They do have damn good doctors there.

This is just a very small look at Baylor.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 08:59:23 pm by RapidRod »

Offline kentb

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 02:02:48 pm »
are you taking two kaletra in the AM and two in the PM?  This is how I started and my doc increased it to three and three and that helped me achieve Viral Suppression.  I also take Trizivir.

Just a thought,

kent

Offline JasonintheOC

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 02:39:34 pm »
If you want to visit Laguna Beach I could suggest my doc who's known in our area as the "best"!  Dr. Tom Lochner is an excellent doc :)

See my post about Sustiva - I understand the suicidal thoughts.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.