Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:02:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 194
Total: 194

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Am I seroconverting? Do I have hope of testing negative sto  (Read 7931 times)

Offline stillhoping

Am I seroconverting? Do I have hope of testing negative sto
« on: February 20, 2007, 03:43:26 pm »
I am so scared right now.This is by far the toughest week of my life.I have so many questions, mostly out of fear.But first my story.

Before I was exposed to the disease 6 weeks ago, I was certain of my negative status as I had taken a test 6 months prior to that and became celibate.I met a nice girl, and we had sex 13 times.3 of those times the condom broke and I only noticed after I climaxed inside her.The sessions were very long and quite when the tip of ismy penis became exposed I cant tell.We talked about our sexual background and she was honest enough to say she had been very promiscuous and often engaged in unprotected sex.She said with 15 different guys.Further, her very latest boyfriend before me was  a South African, which is a high risk area. My last encounter with her was on the 13th of january 2007, and then thing started going hey wire from there.She does not know her status yet, but the pessimist in me knows she is positive, though she seems very nonchalant about the possibility.She is from Latvia and I am in london.

this is my timeline.

13 jan 07...last risky encounter

18 jan...first symptoms of benign cold..sore throat, slight fever and tonsils.

21 jan...symptoms disappear.

3rd feb...ulcer in mouth,absess around wisdom tooth,painful tonsil
4th feb...tonsil heals on one side and shifts to the other, painful nerve in my bigtoe..

psychological state still intact, not too worried yet.all syptoms subside except a tonsil now and then.

14th  ...all goes loose, slight fever and tonsils.I get worried and dont sleep at night.
15th-20th....wake up with sore throught, high fever, tonsils, and lethargy, feels like flu, but its not reaching its pick as ussual.I can feel my lymph nodes under my chin, not sure they are swollen but they hurt.I check the internet, such as this forum, and everything points to ars, which increases my enxiety, i get very tired, slightly confused, hot and chilly.now i start to fell weird pain where glands aught to be, my armpits and and groin.I cant sleep for days now, I am so worried of losing my girlfriend(she is not at risk, we dont have sex).I cant eat but I take painkillers for the fever, nothing happens.Early morning today I had running stomach, but it hasnt been back since.I decided to Skip work and go to a GUM clinic, where I had cousselling and took tests for all the STI including HIV.The Dr was disappointed to see me back and she tried to be encouraging but I could tell from her eyes that things didnt look good.All she could say was that these are also very common symptoms of other ailments, but I am not sure, its just too coincedental, the timing, the severity, its all clogging my mind and leaving at teether ends.

I am picking up the results tomorrow afternood, but I need something to hang onto for now.Do I have a chance, or is this a classical case of positive diagnosis?What Am I expected to feel when I test positive?I know what I'd feel if its negative.I am trying to be strong but I cant, I went to church for the first time in years last sunday.I need hope, something I can hang on to till around 6pm UK time tomorrow, I am not suicidal but my mind is running berseck, I cant sleep, eat, think, or even talk to anyone.

Please help...what I promise is ..no matter what the score is, I will post here tomorrow, either as a broken man or a reborn man.

I love you all.Awaiting your thoughts,

Offline RapidRod

Re: Am I seroconverting? Do I have hope of testing negative sto
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 03:53:31 pm »
ARS, does not come on like you have mentioned. They come on 2-4 after infection and all come at once and leave all at once. They don't come one day, then another one in a week. etc. No one can tell you about your test until after you receive your results. This is not a guessing game.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 03:54:52 pm »
Hoping, HIV is not an easy virus to transmit. It's significantly more difficult to accomplish from female to male. The condoms which broke would have protected you until they broke. That would reduce even further the possibility of transmission IF she is even HIV+, which you are only sumissing.

You're about about 6 weeks from the most recent broken condom incident. The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus.

So assuming you test negative on your current test that will be very encouraging. You should confirm that result with another test at 13 weeks.

There's absolutely nothing in the symptoms which you are reporting which is in any way HIV specific. If your symptoms persist you should discuss them with your doctor. By the way, neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms is ever the way to know about HIV status. ONLY an HIV test can give you a reliable answer about that.

You might also make sure you are wearing condoms which fit you properly. 3 breaks within such a short time makes me wonder if you are wearing the right size.

Good luck with your test result. The odds are in your favor.

Cheers,

Andy Velez

Offline stillhoping

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 04:06:47 pm »
I appreciate your input very much.

Indeed in all those instances, it was at her place and we used her condoms, which were the only ones available and seemed to be too tight.To this day I still regret not packing my own.What scares me is that the sessions were really really long.

I know its not a guessing game but I took the first step to finding out my statys, I suppose its common to feel this way while waiting for the results.I am struggling with the waiting period while trying to assess the level of my risk and the relevance of my symptoms.How scared should I be?

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 04:27:26 pm »
You want us to tell you how scared you should be?  Thats not right.  You had a risk as Andy pointed out.  You are waiting now.  Look at it this way, there is nothing you can do either way to change anything so might as well not fret about it.

Its easier said than done.  But not coming here every day is a good step in the right direction if you want my opinion.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline stillhoping

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 05:11:33 pm »
I have another question, do you get people who come on here, with similar definate exposure, and typical symptoms that happened within the said time period, and still come back negative after tests?

I noticed that my tougue has white and red spots and and my nose is running, this all ads up to the fear.Atleast I have tested.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 05:22:06 pm »
I have another question, do you get people who come on here, with similar definate exposure, and typical symptoms that happened within the said time period, and still come back negative after tests?

I noticed that my tougue has white and red spots and and my nose is running, this all ads up to the fear.Atleast I have tested.

ALL THE TIME!  99% of the people who come to this site with one risk or another test negative.
RIDE!!!

Offline stillhoping

Life expectancy, effect on heart patients
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 05:36:04 pm »
I  was exposed to the virus last jan 13 and today I took a test and expect the results tomorrow.I am very likely positive as my ARS symptoms were on point.I have these questions that I need to face,

1.what is the life expectancy of a newly diagnosed person in these era of modern drugs?

2.I have a heart condition, palpitation caused by SVT, and I take propranolol for these, does this shorten my life expectancy?

3.As a male, is it possible to have kids anymore?

4.How do I cope with the waiting period, as I am fretting and on the verge of a nervous break down.results out tomorrow 18pm u time

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Life expectancy, effect on heart patients
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 06:52:20 pm »
Hello

0. Wait for the test result please

1. 35 years.  If you think treatment won;t improve in 35 yars, think again

2. No

3. Yes, deffo

4. Drink a beer, really there is no way to say how, but wait for the test result (easier said than done eh...)

Take care

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 07:04:06 pm »
Still,

I removed the thread you posted in the Treatments forum and merged it here, with your original thread, which is the ONLY place you should be asking questions until such time as you have a CONFIRMED positive result.

Please read the Welcome Thread and pay close attention to our forum posting guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ACinKC

Re: Life expectancy, effect on heart patients
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 07:18:29 pm »
I  was exposed to the virus last jan 13 and today I took a test and expect the results tomorrow.I am very likely positive as my ARS symptoms were on point.I have these questions that I need to face,

1.what is the life expectancy of a newly diagnosed person in these era of modern drugs?

2.I have a heart condition, palpitation caused by SVT, and I take propranolol for these, does this shorten my life expectancy?

3.As a male, is it possible to have kids anymore?

4.How do I cope with the waiting period, as I am fretting and on the verge of a nervous break down.results out tomorrow 18pm u time

You dont know if you were exposed to the virus.  People come here with symptoms like yours almost every day and they test negative.  Try and follow my advice and quit hanging around an HIV site.  It's definitely not doing you any good.
RIDE!!!

Offline stillhoping

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2007, 05:49:23 pm »
It looks like my seroconversion started on 14 feb and before that it was just other flu.Today I called the doctor but instead of giving me the results over the phone as promised, he asked me to come in.I have had a strong high fever everyday and malaise for the last 6 days.I am going there tomorrow, still feel rough, and it looks like i am infected.I know you cant tell me its seroconversion for a fact, but you can atleast tell me its consistent with one.

Offline stillhoping

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2007, 05:55:17 pm »
How do I treat these symptoms?Fever,malaise, sore throught, tonsils, rush on tongue,swollen lymph nodes..atleast if i could feel like my old self

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 09:51:12 pm »
Rod had no symptoms when he seroconverted.  So yours are not consistent with that.  I was called in to the office for every one of my test results.  They don't generally give them over the phone.  I was negative 4 out of 5 times. 

Just go in and find out.  Nothing you can do until then.

And seroconversion does NOT start 1 day after exposure.  2-4 weeks.  Not 24 hours later. 
RIDE!!!

Offline stillhoping

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2007, 10:12:51 am »
Today 12 noon as promised I went to pick up my results.As you can imagine, I did not sleep a wink last night, my symptoms were so severe and I was so worried that by the time i picked the results up my brains were not functional, i could no longer percieve fear.So here in London bridge, Guy and St thomas GUm clinic, the nice lady doctor called me into the office, while I made a lazy attempt to assess her body laguage, but i was too tired.She smiled and said good news, you are negative, there is no HIV.I cried, asked if 6 weeks after exposure is long enough to make it conclusive, she said, she used 2 tests and she is 100% sure.I can test after a further 6 weeks if i want but there really is no need to.

I wanna thank everyone who helped me cope with the false alarm as well as the waiting period.This must be a really weird flu as its downed me for a week now, with other dodgy symptoms.I hope to get my life in order again and reclaim my life.

Offline stillhoping

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2007, 10:15:48 am »
I should also say that I am booking myself with a cognitive behaviour therapist, this Aids phobia has done enough damage to me.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.