Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:30:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 543
Total: 543

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: i want to get muscle , i need help please  (Read 9815 times)

Offline kool916

i want to get muscle , i need help please
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:40:23 am »
hi  im poz for the last 5 year and i have two years working out alot  gym, traying to build my body,  im taking multivitamins, aminoacid,omega, protein shakes, i eat really healthy,  3 complet meals, plus 2 or 3 snaks a day , but  i cant get muscle,
i been trying diferent  brands and nothing work any suggest??
actully i was under testosteron treatment cause my  level was little  low then regular but i stop using it,  pls  any info or any suggest????  thank u

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: i want to get muscle , i need help please
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 11:50:33 am »
If you want to build muscles you need to intake your calories -- protein shakes can supplement your diet but they are not a substitute. You need to greatly increase your food intake, assuming your on the think side and want to increase muscle while not increasing fat much. If you're an ectomorph type body then it's simply hardest to gain weight. Then add to that low testosterone and it's doubly difficult. Also, how old are you as I'm sure it's harder as we age.

What is your gym routine -- cardio type exercise is going to burn up a lot of calories without building mass. Stick to free weights for a while. Oh yeah, and construct your meal intake to be six meals a day as it's metabolized best to gain weight as opposed to three meals.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 12:03:21 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 11:56:34 am »
You have to keep @ it, I've been doing it for long time (always had jobs that required me to be fit)  :)

I have a home gym and I do 20 minutes of aerobics every other day ( on a recumbent bike for 5 miles), and strength training (on a Bowflex®) for 45 minutes,  make sure to throw in some yoga before you work out  ;)

I eat like a horse, but I also burn off most of my calories doing all of this
I'm 55 yrs old and my hubby says I have nice arms, shoulders & thighs  :D

it take a while to get the look you want, it's hard work so keep @ it .....unless you want some HGH or Steroids ,but good luck getting them form any doctor, they won't give hem, if you don't really need any  ;) I'm don't need any of them, so say my doctor(s)   good luck
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 12:22:29 pm »
What Miss P said. You might be a naturally thin type. Have you EVER been beefy or muscled? Or, have you ever been ripped?

Another factor - are you on HAART, or not?  Whats your immune status?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline kool916

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 12:59:43 am »
i was  kinda little  belly chubby  now i look good  but   my goal was to have a muscle body  i look thin but  at leats want to get some muscle on my chest

Offline mecch

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 06:48:20 am »
i was  kinda little  belly chubby  now i look good  but   my goal was to have a muscle body  i look thin but  at leats want to get some muscle on my chest

And the state of your immune system?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 01:41:15 am »
A lot of people that work out a lot don't push themselves hard enough to build muscle mass.  Not sure this is the case with you.  If you don't work out hard, you can eat more and you'll just gain fat instead of muscle.

If you REALLY want to build muscle mass, the best way to do it is supersets.  You must FULLY fatigue the muscle, start heavy and work down.  Try to do three exercises with supersets per muscle group.  (Example back:  overhand lat pull downs, bent over rows,  lat pull ups).  Be SURE to allow your sore muscles to heal.  DO NOT overwork and don't work out on an injured muscle.  If you're not feeling anything the next day after a workout, then you're not working out hard enough to build muscle mass.  Make sure to remember to target small supporting muscles... like the anterior rotator cuff muscles.  Otherwise, you could end up unbalanced, with the major muscle too large for the supporting muscles... which is a good way to rip something.  I would advise reading all you can about how to work out properly and safely.  I don't really think you should superset when targeting small muscles, otherwise you may risk overuse injuries and tendonitis (especially when doing wrist and forearm exercises).

Split your workout.  I gained the most mass when I did chest and back one day, arms and shoulders another day, legs, abs, lower back the third day.  Always work largest muscle groups first, smaller, supporting muscles last.  I see so many guys working out so randomly it's dangerous... like working triceps, then doing heavy bench presses. 

Some aerobic exercise each day to stay cut.  Ab crunches each day with multiple ab exercises on your leg day. 

My workouts were 1.5 to 2 hours each day (sometimes longer).  Try to work out six days/week, but listen to your body and rest it when it feels too tired.  If you work out when you're really tired, you're at much higher risk of injury.  Try to come up with six exercises per muscle group so you can mix them up, doing three one day of the week and the other three the other day.

With this workout, you should see results in six months.  In twelve months, your body will really begin to take on a new form.  I got stronger than I ever thought I could, but I was in my late twenties then.  I was 165lbs and able to bench 80lb dumpbells six to eight reps.  (LOL if only I had the time now to work out like that!)

I'd like to here what GSORAT's workouts are like.  He's in top form.

The type of workout I'm advocating should leave you well soaked in sweat and physically tired. 

Once you reach the point where you want to be, you can maintain working each muscle group just one day/week, so long as you still maintain your intensity.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 01:51:31 am by MitchMiller »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 09:08:33 am »

The type of workout I'm advocating should leave you well soaked in sweat and physically tired. 

I got tired and sweaty just reading your post. Does that count? ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline TheRoof

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 05:47:25 pm »
Hey I know the feeling of wanting to get muscle. I have been trying for a long time.

I have had trouble gaining muscle. BUT there are a few things I have noticed an improvement in. Less depression, slightly better focus, a bit more energy. (But muscle mass gain almost 0%.. this could be something a lot more internal. But I am not a doctor. So no theory is valid) Unless a specific blood test or MRI is  done.

The best advice I can give you is... lift with free weights. Stick mostly to compound exercises. Those tend to yield the most effect because you are working a lot more muscle groups. Eat a lot of good high protein foods and talk to your doctor and ask for a blood test to get your testosterone checked out maybe. This is advice that multiple doctors, trainers have given me.

(But of course it depends how hard you work) I personally follow this goal. If I am not sweating rain I am not training hard enough. Also CONTROL your movements. Form and control is a lot more important than momentum. (If you don't gain mass, you at the least can gain strength)
Also make sure to get a lot of sleep. Your body needs to recover.

Offline TNguy

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 02:21:05 am »
You didn't say how long you were on the testosterone or when you came off of it, but make sure your doctor is checking it regularly. When you're on testosterone replacement your body stops producing it itself, and some people when coming off don't resume at all, and others may only resume 50%

If you came off of it recently....or stopped abruptly, your body may not be producing it at full capacity yet.

Offline mecch

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2012, 05:44:12 am »
Still curious if the OP is on HAART, or not, and the state of his immune system.
I have known over the years many HIV+ guys who were not able to bulk up while living with viral loads, sometimes quite high.  On the other hand, I have known guys who WERE able to bulk up despite untreated HIV. 
Just keep in mind everyones genetic predisposition to bulk, or not, is unique, and that active HIV infection might throw extra challenges into achieving this goal of bulk..

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.