Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:38:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 491
Total: 491

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Health care worker risk  (Read 2731 times)

Offline wetferret

Health care worker risk
« on: August 02, 2012, 05:50:49 pm »
Hi,

First of all, what a fantastic website you guys have built, and what an amazing forum community. Keep it up!

About two weeks ago, I returned from a two week work-cation in Haiti. I'm an EMT, and I was working at a hospital in Port-au-Prince. Obviously, I followed universal precautions when touching patients who had any indication of blood or infectious disease. However, there were two instances that have me a little worried (I'm a good EMT, but I'm even better at worrying).

1) After assisting with placing an IV on a patient (the IV bled quite a bit as we collected a blood sample) who was later diagnosed with gonorrhea, I helped take another patient to X-ray. While sitting outside, I scratched the side of my nose just underneath my eye. I noticed a second later that the tip of my finger had a small bit of dried blood on it, just enough to cover the tip. I don't know why I hadn't changed gloves, but it had been at least 5-10 min since I came into contact with the blood. I immediately tore off my glove, cleaned my hands with hand sanitizer, and used the hand sanitizer to wipe away anything that could've gotten on my face. I've read a little on HIV infection through mucous membranes like that in your eye, but I'm just wondering whether there really is any risk here at all, even if we pretend that I got wet blood on my finger and rubbed the hell out of my eye. But like I said, I'm 99% sure the blood was dry and it was a small amount.

2) Another patient came in will severe skull and facial trauma. He was bleeding pretty severely on the right side of his face. I was holding his neck in place for a while before another EMT took over for me. When I stepped away and removed my gloves, I noticed a significant amount of blood on my left ring finger. I'm a habitual nail-biter, and I had a small cut on that finger next to the cuticle from biting that nail earlier. I went white as a ghost, until another EMT told me that if it was the patient's blood, it would've been on my right hand, and that it was almost certainly my own blood; I just hadn't noticed that I was bleeding a little. While I had my gloves on, I didn't notice a major tear in either of them. But again, please humor me and pretend that I did get enough of the patient's blood to cover half of my finger and it got into the small (obviously superficial) cut. Any risk at all?

I should also mention that I did not know the HIV status of either of the two patients who gave me little scares.

I'm planning on taking an antibody test 10 weeks from now just for complete peace of mind. I just feel that if someone on the forum can tell me that, even in the worst case scenarios that I described, there is no to a very low HIV risk, I can put it out of my mind until I get tested.

Thank you in advance for your help and your patience. I promise I will not bombard you with additional irrational questions ad nauseum.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Health care worker risk
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 06:07:24 pm »
Even in the worst case scenarios that you described, there is no HIV risk in the events you report.

It does worry me that you seem to have had inadequate training insofar as HIV infection is concerned, along with what appears to be a bit of HIV phobia.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline wetferret

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 06:37:58 pm »
Thank you for your prompt reply.

The HIV phobia you detected is actually a touch of generalized anxiety. I have it under control enough that it doesn't affect me day-to-day, and I seek professional help when I need it. Thank you for your insight and your concern.

As to the "inadequate training insofar as HIV infection," could you please elaborate?

If you mean my freaking out over the slightest possibility of contracting HIV or other bloodbourne pathogens, then I can assure you I'm not alone. Many health care professionals I've worked with share the same fear. A nurse who was in Haiti with me got a needle stick, and none of us could do enough to assure her that she was most likely fine. I think it's because we all hear the CDC's cover-your-ass risk assessments and follow them blindly. Yes, I agree it's ridiculous.

If you mean that I seem poorly trained in using personal protective equipment, then I wholeheartedly agree that in the scenarios I described I was more careless and less focused than I usually am.

If you mean something else entirely, like you think my education and training in HIV infection specifically is lacking, then I would love to hear any suggestions you might have or resources you can refer to (assuming you have the time and patience). I am always eager to improve my practice and educate my peers.

Thank you again for your reply. Keep up the great work that you're doing!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 02:50:12 am »
wet,

You need to keep in mind that universal precautions are designed to protect the patient first and foremost and the health care provider second. I would be appalled if I discovered I'd been taken into an A&E and the EMT had not been changing his or her gloves. Haven't you ever heard of MRSA? Forget hiv. Jeeze. Worry about the pathogens you're more likely to be spreading around yourself.

You haven't had a risk for hiv infection, regardless of what your emotions are telling you.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.