Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:04:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 349
Total: 350

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Zimmerman Not Guilty  (Read 31387 times)

Offline tednlou2

Zimmerman Not Guilty
« on: July 13, 2013, 10:06:44 pm »
Perhaps he and Casey Anthony can get a place together.

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline tednlou2

Re: Zimmerman Not Guilty
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 03:18:54 am »
How does one reconcile this case (see link below), with the verdict that came tonight?  This is the case of a black, Florida resident.  She fired a warning shot into the wall, after being threatened by her husband.  She was sentenced to 20 (20!) years in prison.  The Stand Your Ground law didn't help her.  She didn't kill anyone.  Her bullet didn't hit anyone. 

For those who say race played no part in the Zimmerman case, how do they explain this?  Is it merely that she probably had a public defender, while Zimmerman had a very good legal team?  Would she have been found not guilty, if she had star legal representation?  Of course, we don't know.  It would be hard to find a case (except for O.J.), where an accused black person got a star legal team wanting to handle their case.  The same is true for poor, white people.  Well, unless you're attractive and get a lot of media attention.  I suspect Casey Anthony would have been found guilty, if she had a public defender.  Having said that, I still think white jurors would have had more trouble convicting her, then they would a black Casey.  If this case had not gotten so much attention, which I am actually surprised a black shooting victim got all this attention, I suppose Zimmerman would have had to settle for a public defender.  But, again, I think jurors would have wanted to side with him, even if subconsciously.

I have no doubt if Treyvon was white "Trevor Martin" (remember, it helps for a white person to also be attractive), we would have seen a guilty verdict.  FOX News would have a totally different take.  They would be the ones saying we need justice for little "Trevor."  Zimmerman wouldn't have been following little "Trevor" in the first place.  The evidence, that 100% of the police calls Zimmerman made were about black men, was not allowed to be entered in the trial.  He was instructed to stay in his car and wait for police.  He was not in danger.  He is now a free man, while this woman has a 20 year sentence for firing a warning shot.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-57434757-504083/fla-woman-marissa-alexander-gets-20-years-for-warning-shot-did-she-stand-her-ground/

Offline poz91

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 03:47:13 am »
Just a little food for thought...

Moments before Trayvon punched Zimmerman, knocked him to the ground, and began repeatedly beating his skull into the concrete sidewalk, he was on the phone with his friend Rachel Jeantel (who testified at trial) making homophobic slurs and jokes about Zimmerman... calling him an ass cracker, a pervert, a gay rapist. He was not scared of Zimmerman.

When he confronted Zimmerman, Zimmerman thought he said, "Do you have a f%$#ing problem, homie." Given the nature of the comments Rachel acknowledged Trayvon used, Zimmerman may have mistaken 'homo' for 'homie.'

The prosecution even subtly used the 'gay panic' defense in its closing arguments... stating that Zimmerman (aka the ass cracker gay rapist pervert) was every child's worst fear, and essentially argued that Trayvon had every right to beat him.

Interestingly, Zimmerman shares many characteristics with his brother Robert... who is an openly gay man.

George Zimmerman was found not guilty because he was the victim of an assault.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 04:55:40 am »
I was surprised.  I thought when the jury asked for a definition of "manslaughter" that Zimmerman may have been found guilty of that. 

The poor and minorities do not do well in court.  That's not news.  I read that Sharpton is going to Florida tomorrow and am sure this will not be the end of the situation. 

I really think Zimmerman should have been found guilty of at least manslaughter.  He didn't listen to police (staying in his car), and Martin was not armed. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 05:21:29 am »
Just a little food for thought...

Moments before Trayvon punched Zimmerman, knocked him to the ground, and began repeatedly beating his skull into the concrete sidewalk, he was on the phone with his friend Rachel Jeantel (who testified at trial) making homophobic slurs and jokes about Zimmerman... calling him an ass cracker, a pervert, a gay rapist. He was not scared of Zimmerman.

When he confronted Zimmerman, Zimmerman thought he said, "Do you have a f%$#ing problem, homie." Given the nature of the comments Rachel acknowledged Trayvon used, Zimmerman may have mistaken 'homo' for 'homie.'

The prosecution even subtly used the 'gay panic' defense in its closing arguments... stating that Zimmerman (aka the ass cracker gay rapist pervert) was every child's worst fear, and essentially argued that Trayvon had every right to beat him.

Interestingly, Zimmerman shares many characteristics with his brother Robert... who is an openly gay man.

George Zimmerman was found not guilty because he was the victim of an assault.

I had the luxury of listening to the testimony from day one.  You conveniently added a little bit there, and that's fine.  Rachal Jeantel said she told Trayvon "that he probably wants to rape you" and his reply was, "girl don't be playing with me like that".

The guy was watching him from his vehicle, and then followed him.  I would also wonder why someone was following me.  As an adult, if someone was following me, I would probably think they were going to rob me.  As a kid, I might think something worse.

Trayvon was guilty of no crime when Zimmerman chose to follow him.  Video time stamp from the 7-11 (convenience store) proved he was in route to his father's house. 

Today, I have to admit, it's pretty apparent that Trayvon started beating Zimmerman down once they reached the middle courtyard.  Truth to how exactly that transpired is only known by those two people.  One witness said he saw Trayvon on top of Zimmerman hitting him, and even he said he didn't know what started it. 

Like I said, I have no doubt Trayvon got the upper hand in the physical altercation that ensued.  You can clearly see that in the photos of George Zimmerman after the incident had occurred.  At that point, and under the stand your ground law, one is allowed to use deadly force.

When I look at this though I see a bigger problem.  Why was Zimmerman following him in the first place?  It's true the area had suffered recent burglaries, stolen property, etc... which had nothing to do with Trayvon.  Why was he targeted as being a "suspicious male"?  Is it safe to assume that Trayvon might have felt he was in danger?   Where is his right to stand his ground and take actions to defend himself from a perceived threat?

Guess what, the guy with the gun wins.

After I learned more about this situation, I kept thinking to myself how just a little communication from one or both parties could have kept one from getting killed.  But in my opinion, that's where the mistrust from both kept this from happening.

It's tragic when a 17 year old is killed when initially he was doing nothing wrong.   
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 09:11:01 am »
I wasn't shocked by the verdict .  The prosecution was not able to prove beyond reasonable doubt.  Legally they had no choice but to rule the way they did.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline weasel

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 09:45:15 am »
I wasn't shocked by the verdict .  The prosecution was not able to prove beyond reasonable doubt.  Legally they had no choice but to rule the way they did.

I agree !

As the law states ,   Zimmerman  was within the law !   

Nothing to do with   Race   if we look at the law they made the right choice !

Weasel

P.S.   Now is the time for people to change laws they dis-like ! 
             I believe Missouri has the same law as Florida ...
" Live and let Live "

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 10:44:12 am »
began repeatedly beating his skull into the concrete sidewalk
Zimmerman's wounds did not corrobarate that verison of the events. The wounds (to the back of his head and to his nose) only give evidence that there was a physical altercation. Witnesses only testified to punches thrown. The wounds to the back of Zimmerman's head were few, mild and required no treatment, bandages or stitches.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 01:57:17 pm »
George zimmerman's brother is quite sexy, he's annoying listening to him talk, but sexy nonetheless.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 04:04:20 pm »
George zimmerman's brother is quite sexy, he's annoying listening to him talk, but sexy nonetheless.

I'd hit it.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 05:10:08 pm »
Stay classy.

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 06:24:07 pm »
Perhaps he and Casey Anthony can get a place together.

Did you hear that Obama is pressing charges on Zimmerman?

I think if Obama does continues it proves he is racist. Why? He did not press charges on Casey.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 06:32:30 pm »
I'm going to go ahead and warn people now - this thread has the potential to be a powder-keg, like gun control threads end up being.

Any nasty comments, racist comments, personal attacks or other unacceptable behaviour will be dealt with - by time outs if necessary - and this thread locked.

Please feel free to discuss the case, but keep it civil and within the bounds of our posting rules.

I won't give this warning out again.

Thank you everyone for your cooperation.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 08:43:56 pm »
Did you hear that Obama is pressing charges on Zimmerman?

I think if Obama does continues it proves he is racist. Why? He did not press charges on Casey.

Obama doesn't press charges, the DOJ does.  The Casey Anthony case did not involve any racial overtones, so how does that even compare to the Zimmerman case?  It is also not racist to charge someone, when it is believed they violated another persons civil rights.  What IS racist, is accusing Obama of being racist, simply for doing his job.

Joe

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 02:32:45 am »
I have found it very interesting how most come down on this case, depending on our political persuasions.  MSNBC hosts were almost crying, but also discussing the case in an intelligent way.  I turned over to FOX and they were so happy.  They were ecstatic. They had Geraldo live from Sanford.  Lord, he is a joke.  He was skirting on sounding racist, imho.  He said how Trayvon's parents were so articulate.  Would he have said that about a white family?  He asked the black people standing behind their live shot, whether they would get violent over this verdict.  He referred to Trayvon as a thug, while not qualifying whether that's how some viewed him.  It sounded like he was saying that about Trayvon. 

We had a family pool party at my partner's parents' house today.  Except for the younger family members (18-22), everyone else is a republican.  Well, his mother voted for Obama.  I hoped they wouldn't discuss the case, because discussing politics often turns bad.  So, this would be the same.  Well, everyone kept their cool, but they were all happy about the verdict.  They all admit that they rarely watch or read news.  I have noticed that with repub friends.  The ones I know aren't intellectually curious, and just get info from FOX.  For any repub members here, I am talking about people I know.  The race issue really eats at them.  None of them even knew much about the case, but automatically sided with Zimmerman.  You can't avoid the fact that all the republicans saw this as a just verdict, while we liberals had issues with it.   

I am not saying everyone, who thought the verdict was right, is a racist.  There were problems with the case.  I think they probably overcharged the case.  The people I know, who were happy with the case, have made comments that verged on racist, in the past.  And, many of them circulated a bogus story about Trayvon.  I have included that link below.  They posted how the media was showing pics of Trayvon as a 12 year-old.  They posted this bogus story, showing Trayvon with a very muscular physique and looking "thuggish."  As soon as I saw it, I immediately knew it was bull.  The man in the photo was obviously much older.  What would be the motivation of this bogus story and photo?  I have to believe it was out of racism.  The media photos showed a cute, young, black boy.  They needed to depict him scarier.  And, would it make it more acceptable to kill the rapper in the photo?  Trayvon was too cute, so you need a black man, who looked like he deserved it?  I can't figure out any other motivation.

I just don't think they would have been so willing to believe the story about a white kid.  As I've said, I think if Trayvon was white, the people I know would be on the opposite side.  They would be questioning whether Zimmerman was here legally.  If this was their kid, they would want justice.  They would not care about the complexities of the case.  So for them, I do think racism was at play.  I think it is perfectly acceptable to debate the case.  Thinking the verdict was right does not make one racist.  But, for those who are obviously viewing this from a racist prism, I just can't take them seriously that race has zero to do with their views.  They wouldn't have been so willing to believe the photo was real and wouldn't have been circulating it. 

Here is the story about the bogus story and photo.  There is a link to view the pic.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2013/07/02/fake-photo-of-trayvon-martin-still-making-the-rounds/

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 07:54:54 am »
While I am sure that racism is a huge part of the reaction to this verdict, I'm not convinced it was part of the verdict.  I think 2 things went "wrong":

1.  The prosecution was, basically, inept.  They overcharged when you consider Florida's self-defense laws and they did a horrible job during the trial (at least the little bits I read about in the press).

2.  From what I read, the judge instructed the jury that they needed to consider whether Zimmerman's life was in danger OR IF HE THOUGHT IT WAS.  If those instructions were, in fact, given to the jury, it would have been difficult to find him guilty.

While I do think that Zimmerman deserved some punishment for getting out of his car and following Trayvon, despite being told not to do so, apparently, Florida's law made convicting him of murder or manslaughter a bridge to far.

The whole mess is a fine example of how where you live in the U.S. determines so many things.........

M

Offline poz91

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 01:51:17 pm »
If you didn't catch Rachel Jeantel on Piers Morgan last night, she repeated the 'gay panic' excuse... she admits that Trayvon beat George Zimmerman because he thought he was gay.

"Yes... definitely I say he thought he might be a rapist. For every boy, for every man... every... who's not that kinda way, see a grown man following them, would they not be creep out."

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 02:18:49 pm »

So Rachel Jeantel's testimony is discredited concerning George Zimmerman, but she is  a reliable witness against Trayvon?   Let's be honest, it was Trayvon who was on trial all along. 

Oh by the way, I saw the interview with Morgan.... you're still adding.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 02:29:58 pm by skeebo1969 »

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 02:32:23 pm »

I saw this the other day.  I thought it was pretty interesting.

http://youtu.be/ge7i60GuNRg

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 05:31:54 pm »
If you didn't catch Rachel Jeantel on Piers Morgan last night, she repeated the 'gay panic' excuse... she admits that Trayvon beat George Zimmerman because he thought he was gay.

"Yes... definitely I say he thought he might be a rapist. For every boy, for every man... every... who's not that kinda way, see a grown man following them, would they not be creep out."

Here is an article reporting on what poz91 states.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2013/07/new-talking-point-trayvon-martin-was-real-bigot-because-he-thought-zimmerman-was-gay/67235/

I admit this topic is something I feel pretty passionate about.  I use to argue with my own family about these issues and it was never a win situation.  It's a view held as deeply as a person's religious beliefs, and it won't be swayed. 

I'm not saying this is the case on the forums, but I acknowledge from my past experiences that my own feelings on this matter may be clouded as well.   I should stay out of this discussion.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 12:02:10 am »

I saw this the other day.  I thought it was pretty interesting.

http://youtu.be/ge7i60GuNRg

I remember seeing this, when it originally aired.  They've had other scenarios, where a black man or woman was treated differently.  I remember one was about retail stores.  They hired black actors, dressed in business attire, to shop in stores.  The black shoppers were followed, and even accused of being up to something.  And, these were black shoppers dressed in business attire.  Whenever you discuss this, many always say how whites are profiled, too.  And, that is true.  I've been followed in stores by security.  But, always when I was dressed down.  Black people are profiled much, much more.  You just can't compare the two.   

I was watching the interview with the juror, who has come forward (in shadow).  She referred to Zimmerman as George, but referred to Trayvon as "that boy."  It could be the jury just could not find him guilty, based on the evidence and instructions.  The juror said the jury was initially split, with some wanting to convict on 2nd degree and some on manslaughter.  She said it was listening to the 911 call that changed things.  The jury of 5 whites and one Hispanic was questionable.  I still can't figure out why the prosecution went along with that.  I think it was the initial investigation that needs scrutiny.  He just killed a teen, and they weren't going to arrest him.  They didn't talk to witnesses for a few months. 

The bottom line is Zimmerman had no authority to ask what Trayvon was doing.  He was a self-appointed neighborhood watchman.  It was not his business to confront someone walking through a neighborhood.  Trayvon was definitely profiled.  The gay comments are ridiculous.  Kids are taught about "stranger danger" from a young age.  They are taught to be concerned about strange men following them.  I would be worried about a stranger following me-- mostly to rob me, especially at night.   

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2013, 12:45:43 am »
Certain folks are now circulating this on Facebook.  They bring up the case of a young, white 17 year-old, who was murdered.  They complain he didn't get media attention, outside local media.

This article explains the key differences.

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/TheBattery/archives/2013/07/16/naacp-leaders-respond-to-marley-liontrayvon-martin-comparison

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2013, 02:33:37 pm »
President Obama, just gave a very powerful speech ( about 40 minutes ago) in regards to the Zimmerman acquittal  and Trayvon Martin :

Video and transcript:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/president-obamas-remarks-on-trayvon-martin-full-transcript/2013/07/19/5e33ebea-f09a-11e2-a1f9-ea873b7e0424_story.html
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 08:01:33 pm »
I had the luxury of listening to the testimony from day one.  You conveniently added a little bit there, and that's fine.  Rachal Jeantel said she told Trayvon "that he probably wants to rape you" and his reply was, "girl don't be playing with me like that".

The guy was watching him from his vehicle, and then followed him.  I would also wonder why someone was following me.  As an adult, if someone was following me, I would probably think they were going to rob me.  As a kid, I might think something worse.

Trayvon was guilty of no crime when Zimmerman chose to follow him.  Video time stamp from the 7-11 (convenience store) proved he was in route to his father's house. 

Today, I have to admit, it's pretty apparent that Trayvon started beating Zimmerman down once they reached the middle courtyard.  Truth to how exactly that transpired is only known by those two people.  One witness said he saw Trayvon on top of Zimmerman hitting him, and even he said he didn't know what started it. 

Like I said, I have no doubt Trayvon got the upper hand in the physical altercation that ensued.  You can clearly see that in the photos of George Zimmerman after the incident had occurred.  At that point, and under the stand your ground law, one is allowed to use deadly force.

When I look at this though I see a bigger problem.  Why was Zimmerman following him in the first place?  It's true the area had suffered recent burglaries, stolen property, etc... which had nothing to do with Trayvon.  Why was he targeted as being a "suspicious male"?  Is it safe to assume that Trayvon might have felt he was in danger?   Where is his right to stand his ground and take actions to defend himself from a perceived threat?

Guess what, the guy with the gun wins.

After I learned more about this situation, I kept thinking to myself how just a little communication from one or both parties could have kept one from getting killed.  But in my opinion, that's where the mistrust from both kept this from happening.

It's tragic when a 17 year old is killed when initially he was doing nothing wrong.

Great analysis.  Why do we let loser dudes carry guns and "play" cop, and reward them for it!!!  The mind boggles.   

What a pathetic emasculated dumbass this Zimmerman, bullying a teenager when asked not to, on false libido emanating from a cold gun in his pocket.  What immoral stupid racist schmuck.  I hope his life is RUINED... 

And bad kharma on all Americans who don't understand how this was an individual's racial profiling and bad and probably racist law conspiring to bring a black teenager down. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline wolfter

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 08:58:35 pm »

And bad kharma on all Americans who don't understand how this was an individual's racial profiling and bad and probably racist law conspiring to bring a black teenager down.

REALLY?  I thought we were all warned about how this thread would go.  I've stood silent with my own opinions here and elsewhere but to wish bad karma if people don't feel this is a racist issue?
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 09:17:48 pm »
a bloody nose? a couple scratches on the back of his head? no blood on the "assailant's" hands? no medical attention required? Not much of an "upper hand" and surely, one would think, not reaching the heights of needing deadly force as Zimmerman was no where near being killed or receiving great bodily harm.

This "stand your ground" law (which the defense did NOT invoke; although the judge did erroneously use the phrase in the jury instructions about basic self defense claim) definitely needs some correcting
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline mecch

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2013, 10:29:03 pm »
I think it makes sense under Florida law and the way Zimmerman was charged, that he was acquitted. 
I also think, IMO, that Zimmerman racially profiled the young man, teenager, and foolishly got involved when he was explicitly told to back off. Zimmerman didn't follow with the intent to kill.  Martin didn't know what was happening to him or why, but clearly felt threatened by Zimmerman, NOT A COP, following him.  Zimmerman could have waited in his car, with his gun, and felt no threat whatsoever. 

Instead, it was a perfect storm of a very bad decision by Zimmerman and a very bad law, that if I read this thread correctly, didn't even need to be cited in Zimmerman's defense (!!!), to still cast it's immoral vigilante shadow over the injustice that has just been delivered to Martin and his family. 

Obama, the POTUS, says there's a racist element to this whole hideous perfect storm of sadness.  I agree.

It's hardly vulgar or aggressive to members in this forum for me to wish bad karma on Americans who can't see how race played a role in this event and very unsatisfying judicial result.

If the majority of black americans are telling us there was a race element to this affair, who are we, non-blacks, to disagree?  Please. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:32:40 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mitch777

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2013, 10:39:40 pm »
I think it makes sense under Florida law and the way Zimmerman was charged, that he was acquitted. 
I also think, IMO, that Zimmerman racially profiled the young man, teenager, and foolishly got involved when he was explicitly told to back off. Zimmerman didn't follow with the intent to kill.  Martin didn't know what was happening to him or why, but clearly felt threatened by Zimmerman, NOT A COP, following him.  Zimmerman could have waited in his car, with his gun, and felt no threat whatsoever. 

Instead, it was a perfect storm of a very bad decision by Zimmerman and a very bad law, that if I read this thread correctly, didn't even need to be cited in Zimmerman's defense (!!!), to still cast it's immoral vigilante shadow over the injustice that has just been delivered to Martin and his family. 

Obama, the POTUS, says there's a racist element to this whole hideous perfect storm of sadness.  I agree.

It's hardly vulgar or aggressive to members in this forum for me to wish bad karma on Americans who can't see how race played a role in this event and very unsatisfying judicial result.

If the majority of black americans are telling us there was a race element to this affair, who are we, non-blacks, to disagree?  Please.
One person's viewpoint of someone wishing another bad karma is up for debate but I do agree with the rest of your post entirely.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2013, 11:32:02 pm »

Really??  so we, "as non-blacks" can agree on something being racist, but we can't disagree??  Sounds a bit racist, doesn't it?  Oh wait, am I allowed to have that opinion??

For the record -- I DO agree that racism was in the Zimmerman / Martin altercation from the get-go, but I simply hate when someone says that one can't have a different opinion on something, like racism, because of --- wait for it --- your RACE.

Seems like some stupid logic, doesn't it??

M

Offline mecch

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2013, 11:49:48 pm »
As soon as public opinion took up the affair as having a racial element, it had one. Whether or not your and my opinion (which we share) is correct about the motivations of those two people involved.

And i did not wish bad karma on "white" Americans, I wished it on Americans. 

Then i said I'm not comfortable with white Americans denying the race factor. Its delusional, considering American history.  Counter productive and not forward looking.  Bad karma is a cheap bastardized sentiment which I used to express the wish of cause and effect, that what goes around, comes around, and eventually there could be an effect that wakes people out of what I consider a delusional view of American culture.

Two different pronouncements. 

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2013, 08:03:58 am »
Does anyone think for a second that Trayvon Martin would have been able to use the "stand your ground" defense if he had killed Zimmerman?

Oh and it's rich when white Europeans and ex-pats lecture Americans on race relations. People of color in Europe might have a different opinion.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2013, 09:07:11 am »

Does anyone think for a second that Trayvon Martin would have been able to use the "stand your ground" defense if he had killed Zimmerman?

Not in a million years, IMO. Trayvon felt threatened and look what happened when he "stood his ground".

Zimmerman should have stayed in his car as instructed by the police. I'm flabbergasted that he got away with this.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bocker3

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2013, 09:19:52 am »
Then i said I'm not comfortable with white Americans denying the race factor. Its delusional, considering American history. 

You really think that all blacks or "non-whites" are in agreement?  I know that they are not.
While I am of the opinion that race DID matter here -- in the altercation and in the trial, you continue to spread racism by USING RACE as a separator of what one should or should not think.  It is an asinine and counter-productive bit of "logic".

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2013, 05:53:58 pm »
almost  every  mention of the  situation  from day one was  " young black man  shot  by overeager white guy"        instead of " young  man  shot by  neighborhood patrol  volunteer"   presumption of  race issue was  inserted from the  first  report...  but  the  court proceedings/Jury   didnt see it that way  and  found him innocent...not  a just  verdict???/  maybe..... but if you prefer  trial by newspaper/TV  coverage/and  upset other persons...be  careful  what you wish for

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline buginme2

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2013, 07:00:28 pm »
almost  every  mention of the  situation  from day one was  " young black man  shot  by overeager white guy"        instead of " young  man  shot by  neighborhood patrol  volunteer"   presumption of  race issue was  inserted from the  first  report...  but  the  court proceedings/Jury   didnt see it that way  and  found him innocent...not  a just  verdict???/  maybe..... but if you prefer  trial by newspaper/TV  coverage/and  upset other persons...be  careful  what you wish for

Nick

Not to be a stickler but the US justice system does not find anyone "innocent."  We find people either guilty or not guilty.  Not guilty does not equal innocent.  It's a rather important part of the justice system.

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2013, 08:46:57 pm »
  Not guilty does not equal innocent. 

Mmmmkay.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline bocker3

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2013, 11:07:06 pm »
Not to be a stickler but the US justice system does not find anyone "innocent."  We find people either guilty or not guilty.  Not guilty does not equal innocent.  It's a rather important part of the justice system.

Ummmm, that is because you are PRESUMED innocent, until found guilty.  Not sure how you think your "point" means anything at all.  If you are found not guilty, then, in the court's eyes, you were and are innocent.

M

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2013, 11:26:53 pm »
If you are found not guilty, then, in the court's eyes, you were and are innocent.
not really. a civil court found OJ guilty of murder even though the criminal court did not.
(I think we may see a similar outcome when/if the Martin family sues G Zimmerman in civil court.)

"Not Guilty" is a judicial term meaning "not proven" - as in the state has not proven it "beyond a reasonable doubt". Innocent, which is not a verdict used in a criminal case, however means a person did absolutely nothing. Not guilty may mean that you aren't guilty of the specific crime you are being charged with, but you may not be innocent.

a simple google of "not guilty vs. innocent" will get you all sorts of legal gobbledygook :D explaining the difference and how "not guilty" is the judicial term and that it does not mean "innocent"
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline bocker3

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2013, 11:55:16 pm »
not really. a civil court found OJ guilty of murder even though the criminal court did not.
(I think we may see a similar outcome when/if the Martin family sues G Zimmerman in civil court.)

"Not Guilty" is a judicial term meaning "not proven" - as in the state has not proven it "beyond a reasonable doubt". Innocent, which is not a verdict used in a criminal case, however means a person did absolutely nothing. Not guilty may mean that you aren't guilty of the specific crime you are being charged with, but you may not be innocent.

a simple google of "not guilty vs. innocent" will get you all sorts of legal gobbledygook :D explaining the difference and how "not guilty" is the judicial term and that it does not mean "innocent"

A.  We are not talking about a SUBSEQUENT civil trial.

B.  Courts do not find people innocent.  You are presumed innocent until found guilty.  So....  simple logic dictates that if you are not found guilty, you RETAIN your presumption of innocence.  A court's job is to find guilt -- not to find innocence.  At least not in this country.  The media and the public may have "found" him guilty, but that don't matter.  The jury did not find him guilty, beyond a reasonable doubt. 

C.  You can parse the terms anyway you want -- and you end up in the same place.  Zimmerman is a free man, legally anyway. (and Trayvon Martin is still dead).

Offline bill33

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2013, 02:49:29 am »
How many murders occur in America each year and how many begin with a physical beating? Unfortunately neither Zimmerman or Martin knew what the other was thinking. Each had to act according to personal perception of the situation. Zimmerman should not of followed Martin and Martin should not of attacked Zimmerman but, both did. There was nothing racial about this situation and only stupid mistakes were made by both people. Sadly one is dead and the other will live in constant fear of the next attack. I am happy Zimmerman was found not guilty.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2013, 03:27:48 am »
How many murders occur in America each year and how many begin with a physical beating? Unfortunately neither Zimmerman or Martin knew what the other was thinking. Each had to act according to personal perception of the situation. Zimmerman should not of followed Martin and Martin should not of attacked Zimmerman but, both did. There was nothing racial about this situation and only stupid mistakes were made by both people. Sadly one is dead and the other will live in constant fear of the next attack. I am happy Zimmerman was found not guilty.

Zimmerman will live in fear of the next attack?  We don't know what exactly happened.  We don't know whether he grabbed Trayvon or got in his way, so he couldn't keep walking where he was walking.  We do know Zimmerman stalked him, even when told not to do that.  By saying it that way (and maybe you phrased it wrong), it makes Trayvon the stalker and criminal, imho.  It makes it sound like he was the original aggressor. 

This reminds me of Zimmerman's brother's thinking.  He said George will now have to worry about people taking the law into their own hands.  It is so odd that he doesn't think that's what his brother did that night.  I don't understand that thinking that you can pursue someone, having zero authority to do so, and when you get into a fight with that person, you can kill them.

http://youtu.be/-ePcLS5f7jw

Offline bill33

« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2013, 04:02:29 am »
The next attack on Zimmerman will be from someone wanting to take the law into their own hands. Zimmerman will have to be vigilant and aware of his surroundings for some time because, he now has a target on his back. This is unfortunate for him but, we should all constantly be aware of what is going on around us anyway. Criminals are opportunistic and will pounce on an unsuspecting person in a heart beat.

I don't know for sure but, I don't think following someone is a crime. If I am correct then the only crime committed was when Martin attacked Zimmerman. Zimmerman never made contact with Martin but, Martin did attack Zimmerman. This was a tragic outcome for sure and could of been avoided but, the end results sends a clear message to violent people and criminals.

Offline mecch

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2013, 04:23:03 am »
I was a juror on a murder trial in Brooklyn. The murder happened at a drug deal gone wrong and there were at least 6 thugs there. There were many guns at the scene, several shots fired.

If I remember correctly, the only person we heard from the scene of the crime was the accused. Other witnesses weren't exactly there or weren't there at all. 

The way the judge charged us, we acquitted the accused because it hadn't been proven he was the one who fired the shot that killed the victim. I remember when we were discussing the case it took awhile for one or two jurors to get over the fact that such a bad guy was going free.  Because it was clear from the trial that he was a gangster up to no good in life, several alias, known drug dealer, accused of murder previously, was at the scene of the crime, maybe fired shots, and so on and so on.

It didn't take all that long to deliberate, after all, but we did need to have that conversation. That people can make bad choices or actions, or be what someone considers a good for nothing, or dangerous, or a gangster or whatever, generally, but finally he/she is being tried for something specific.  Thats the way it works and its a pretty good justice system.

I'm sure a lot of the controversy in this case is that people (myself included) can't reconcile general impressions - and much of that based on speculation - with a very specific accusation and trial and judge instruction.... 

When I was on that jury I had already been mugged 2 times at gunpoint, and after the acquittal which seemed straightforward to me intellectually, I did have dissonance, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles. 

I think a lot of people can't tolerate any dissonance and thats why politics, public opinion, etc, can so easily collapse into shrill binary shouting matches...

One time when I was at school in a college town, I got beat up by a group of black teenagers, while walking at dusk on the main drag for the college students with the restaurants and coffee houses, etc.  They came up from behind and it was over pretty quickly. Punched me, kicked me, and bashed my face in with huge plastic water rifles, while they were laughing. Never saw them before, and they said nothing to me, and got in a car and drove away.  I went to the hospital and was treated over night, then was home in bed for quite awhile. My face looked like a meatball grinder!

When I could move I was disappointed with the lack of police followup so went to the police station to see what was happening.  I had the car's plate no. after all.

I had already been discouraged because the cop who took me to the hospital was a campus police officer (but a real police officer with a gun) but then I had to go to the city police to pursue it. The campus police officer was black and driving me to the hospital, he was asking questions pretty casually and he said "Oh, I think I know one of those kids from a youth center where I volunteer. I'm going to have a talk with him."   I was like "A talk with him???"  but was too out of it really.

Anyway, days later, at the downtown police center, the case had gone nowhere, and nobody gave a shit, basically...

Well about a month later a professor invited us all down to NY to her brooklyn art studio.  It was in a sketchy neighborhood and I know all my NY neighborhoods, but I had been out of Brooklyn for a few years.  Well as soon as I got out of the subway i was surprised to discover that my back was up, and that I was extremely nervous whenever a few black teenagers were walking behind me.  Unfortunately, I had turned into a race profiler. I soon moved back to NY and this continued for about a year or two until finally, thank God, it faded away...  Previous to the crime, I had never been scared in any neighborhood or of any "type" of person.

I say all this because as regards Zimmerman and whether or not he is "racist", we know that he is ethnically mixed himself, white european and peruvian and the peruvian has been reported to be mixed Indian and African...  And that he spoke out against a white cop having committed brutality on a black victim...   So rather than seeing things in binaries, the psychology can be more complex. I don't think he was "a racist" in life but his myspace page was racist about mexicans and his calls about his neighborhood watch activities were tinged with profiling against young blacks... 

We don't need to make him into a living breathing KKK card carrying racist in general, to say that in some situations he could have been doing "racial" profiling. 
I know how that might happen....

« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 04:50:03 am by mecch »

Offline mitch777

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2013, 07:44:33 am »
A.  We are not talking about a SUBSEQUENT civil trial.

B.  Courts do not find people innocent.  You are presumed innocent until found guilty.  So....  simple logic dictates that if you are not found guilty, you RETAIN your presumption of innocence.  A court's job is to find guilt -- not to find innocence.  At least not in this country.  The media and the public may have "found" him guilty, but that don't matter.  The jury did not find him guilty, beyond a reasonable doubt. 

C.  You can parse the terms anyway you want -- and you end up in the same place.  Zimmerman is a free man, legally anyway. (and Trayvon Martin is still dead).

I see things a bit different on point "A".
Bugs initial comment did not exclude the bigger picture of a subsequent trial. Maybe your interpretation was different than mine.
I agree with points B and C.
The bottom line here is that one can be found not guilty in the eyes of the law for many reasons. It does NOT mean the person is innocent in reality.
In this case, lack of proof of the charges against Zimmerman set him free. Lack of proof doesn't make him an innocent human being.

Offline mecch

« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2013, 09:45:47 am »
I pretty much agree with Bocker, and think Zimmerman is innocent of murder. I think we are debating the whole affair generally, between those two, Zimmerman and Martin, and society generally as well. Then it gets really contentious. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2013, 10:48:47 am »
I pretty much agree with Bocker, and think Zimmerman is innocent of murder. I think we are debating the whole affair generally, between those two, Zimmerman and Martin, and society generally as well. Then it gets really contentious.
I pretty much agree with both of you too. My post was about the part of this thread dealing with innocent vs. not guilty. There is a difference.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2013, 12:46:21 pm »
I pretty much agree with both of you too. My post was about the part of this thread dealing with innocent vs. not guilty. There is a difference.

I think I get that you are pointing out that there is a "legalese" difference -- certainly a "not guilty" verdict does not, in actuality, state that the person didn't do it -- it simply points out that the evidence did not lead to a guilty finding, beyond a reasonable doubt (for a criminal trial). 

However, from a practical standpoint -- there is no difference.  They can not be retried in a criminal court for that charge (double jeopardy) and if they are brought up on subsequent charges (like a Federal civil rights charge), they start that trial with a presumption of innocence (not a presumption of "not guilty).

Even a civil trial that might follow -- the defendant starts that with a presumption of innocence.  Of course, the burden to prove guilt here is lower, because we aren't looking at taking away their freedom.  So, instead of beyond a reasonable doubt, guilt is decided on a "more likely than not" sort of basis.

So - one can split hairs between the meaning of innocent vs. not guilty from a legal standpoint, but from a practical POV, there is no difference.  If you are "innocent until proven guilty", and you are not proven guilty, logic dictates you still retain your "innocent" standing.

Mike

Offline mitch777

« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2013, 01:54:58 pm »
I think I get that you are pointing out that there is a "legalese" difference -- certainly a "not guilty" verdict does not, in actuality, state that the person didn't do it -- it simply points out that the evidence did not lead to a guilty finding, beyond a reasonable doubt (for a criminal trial). 

However, from a practical standpoint -- there is no difference.  They can not be retried in a criminal court for that charge (double jeopardy) and if they are brought up on subsequent charges (like a Federal civil rights charge), they start that trial with a presumption of innocence (not a presumption of "not guilty).

Even a civil trial that might follow -- the defendant starts that with a presumption of innocence.  Of course, the burden to prove guilt here is lower, because we aren't looking at taking away their freedom.  So, instead of beyond a reasonable doubt, guilt is decided on a "more likely than not" sort of basis.

So - one can split hairs between the meaning of innocent vs. not guilty from a legal standpoint, but from a practical POV, there is no difference.  If you are "innocent until proven guilty", and you are not proven guilty, logic dictates you still retain your "innocent" standing.

Mike
I get where you are coming from and agree with your last post. I'm just going further than the legal system on the definition of innocence.
Even if he sails through any further trials and comes out without punishment or damages, in my eyes he is not guilty through the eyes of the law but is not innocent.
Example:
Let's say a guy really did commit 1st degree murder and got away with it in the legal system for one reason or another. Does that make him innocent? I think not. Therefor, one CAN be found "not guilty" AND "not innocent" at the same time.
I believe this relates back to what Bugs said. The legal system uses the specific words "not guilty" instead of "innocent" when a verdict is read for a reason.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/32989/is-there-a-difference-between-innocent-and-not-guilty

Offline bocker3

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2013, 02:18:40 pm »
I get where you are coming from and agree with your last post. I'm just going further than the legal system on the definition of innocence.
Even if he sails through any further trials and comes out without punishment or damages, in my eyes he is not guilty through the eyes of the law but is not innocent.
Example:
Let's say a guy really did commit 1st degree murder and got away with it in the legal system for one reason or another. Does that make him innocent? I think not. Therefor, one CAN be found "not guilty" AND "not innocent" at the same time.
I believe this relates back to what Bugs said. The legal system uses the specific words "not guilty" instead of "innocent" when a verdict is read for a reason.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/32989/is-there-a-difference-between-innocent-and-not-guilty

I agree.  Although we are talking about legality here, so what is the practical difference here, from a legal POV?  Whether "innocent" or "not guilty" -- he has no legal penalty to pay.

If our system were reversed and the burden of proof was on the defendant (i.e. prove your innocence, beyond a reasonable doubt) - would one still be pointing out that a verdict of "not innocent" does not equal "guilty"?  Either wording produces the same result -- you go to jail.

The only time I see folks bring up the "not guilty" does not mean "innocent" line is when they disagree with a verdict.  If you want to get real picky -- a "guilty" verdict doesn't mean one is NOT innocent - we read about people being released from prison because they, in fact, were NOT guilty.

So -- bottomline (and I'm not doing this to change anyone's mind -- just to ensure clarity of my point) -- there is no practical difference in this legal hair-splitting.  Hell, there really isn't any real "legal" difference when you get right down to it.

M

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.