Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:10:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 219
Total: 219

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Giving up things for HIV's sake  (Read 10029 times)

Offline krakerjm

Giving up things for HIV's sake
« on: June 17, 2006, 03:32:20 pm »
The bbq man is accross the cornoer from me every Satudary cooking ribs and chicken and gives me samples sometimes.  I was told early on cause I love grilling in the summer(this is Florida) that grilled foods weren't good for me.  As  pets and  gardening(digging in the dirt, which we southerners live for).  What quality of life does anyone have if they have to give up everything they enjoy, no life?  My health is closely monitored and I have learned: moderation, moderation and how to take care of myself.  But yet, when my poz health care nurse was here this month(for her annual visit), as we went thru the lenghty questionaire about what I was and wasn't doing, the same cautions kept coming up, "well you might want to rethink that(etc)"  My answer was each time, "what quality of life do you want or expect me to have?"  I can't just give up everything...have no enjoyment whatsoever day to day.
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop
"I swear there ain't no heaven, pray ther ain't no hell"

Offline Oceanbeach

Re: Giving up things for HIV's sake
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 04:31:15 pm »
Dear Jim,

In all these years, I have given up running because of PN, I was told early on not to get a cat because of the bacteria in the cat box, (I got a dog), I gave up Sushi because raw shell fish is all of a sudden not good for me, I gave up adult beverages.  My great job was taken from me, the former employer sells my product lines, while I live on disability.  The L.A. beach house was turned into a  rent subsidized mountain cabin (after 9 years of waiting lists), the Porche became an MG (with 3 years of bus passes in between).  Shopping at the supermarket became "shopping" at the food bank.  I have had many conversations with healthcare professionals about "quality" of life and it not being loaded into a van to be taken to the medical facility once per month.

In all these years (12),  no one ever said to give up BBQ, if they did, sorry did not hear that!  I am still a charming dinner guest and when my grilling genius friends prepare something special, I do enjoy.

Granted, we have to give up things we enjoy for health or monetary reasons, I have given up my fair share and I draw the line on giving up BBQ with close friends.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 04:59:05 pm »
Jim I'll give up BBQ when they pry that rib bone from my cold dead hand. Livin' in Memphis ain't easy...but livin' without Q,that's a different story. I don't over-indulge...but my guilty pleasure? Slow roast me a little "Porky the Pig" and don't spare the sauce. Live a little...what's it gonna do kill ya?

Pass the pig please!
Hal  ;D
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 05:00:36 pm by Dachshund »

Offline krakerjm

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 05:12:32 pm »
It's something to do with smoke and chared foods, of course I haven't completely given up smoking cigs either( damn do I constantly hear about that!).  I have PN also and the main reason I recieve disability; believe me, I hate PN worse than HIV. Giving up things to PN are numerous, but I will not give up things I don't need to...
When the health care nurse left, she  thanked me for being candid and more forth coming than many she interviews.  WHy not?  why would I lie?  I don't know what they do with all that seemingly useless info, but if it helps someone?; just don't dictate to me, I am reasonably intellegent.
Guess it's sometimes 'they' talk down to us like we are igrnorant or children.  Let me ask them a million guestions about their personal lives and habits and tell them what I think, LOL!
GWM, 63, PN w/footdrop
"I swear there ain't no heaven, pray ther ain't no hell"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 05:31:15 pm »
Jim I would not be the least bit surprised if your nurse was the first one in and the last one out at your local "all you can eat" buffet. I have been around quite a few nurses (not you guys) and they ALL seem to smoke and are overweight. I know they are doing their job...but that is all it is,a job.

You are a smart man who knows his body. I have no doubt that in most cases you make choices that are right for you. My motto "moderation".

Now pass me a piece of that pie!
Hal ;D

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 05:39:00 pm »
Jim,

It is a hot day outside, why don't we get out our blenders, Jose Cuervo (Gold), some maggie mix and a side shot of Gran Marnier, while we smoke some marijuana cigarettes and roast a pig?  Have the best day
Michael
(who will drive to the liquor store)

I believe Hal will bring a pie!

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 06:00:39 pm »
Poor Baby....sounds like you've got Nurse Ratchet. 
Does she remind you of an icicle? 
Quality of Life is everything to me....  that's not to say I can't give up some things.
But digging in the dirt and BBQ...Get Outta Town :o

It just ain't fittin...it just ain't
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 07:45:46 pm »
I'll give up BBQ when they pry that rib bone from my cold dead hand.

:D that's priceless!

I don't over-indulge 

there ya go! that's the secret

i have given up booze and processed food. the booze i gave up in 1995 just because i kinda knew i had to (i was neg back then)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 07:52:10 pm »
Jim,

It is a hot day outside, why don't we get out our blenders, Jose Cuervo (Gold), some maggie mix and a side shot of Gran Marnier, while we smoke some marijuana cigarettes and roast a pig?  Have the best day
Michael
(who will drive to the liquor store)

I believe Hal will bring a pie!

You describe the perfect day for me :)

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Robert

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 07:57:49 pm »
I'll bring the salt.. ;D

robt

Offline Basquo

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 08:53:27 pm »
I am so there...but i have never heard about the smoke-and-charred-food thing!  Can someone enlighten me?  because I am charring some skirt steak right now... ???

Offline Jena

• To God Be The Glory!
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2006, 09:25:07 pm »
mmm.... I'll bring the corn on the cob,  oh and the lime too ;D

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2006, 09:47:15 pm »
Something else that can be given up without a fight is the Ben & Jerry's ice cream.  This week alone, I have discovered "Vermonty Python" and "The Gobfather".  Have the best day
Michael

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2006, 10:19:03 pm »
I just have to say...

nurse, with an arse, with a forghorn of a mouth out back perhaps

go BBQ

- matt "mine's a T bone with horseradish n Mrs Balls Pearch Chutney" the newt

Now playing - BBC World Service
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline USNRET

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2006, 11:21:15 pm »
Have not heard of that before (the barbeque).  I have not given up anything.  I live life the same except I enjoy it more.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2006, 12:53:07 am »
Okay so we are all in agreement...let's have a picnic! The coals are hot...the rump is roasting,let's all meet at the HIV Corral and have a great day. Life's too short...especially ours. I really LOVE you guys!

Yahoo,
Hal ;D

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2006, 12:54:14 am »
I see we're all very SERIOUS about our BBQ....  Is it just us southern boys who like to pot plants..or get our hands in the dirt?  Just curious....  

I'll bring the margarita's......... :o
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2006, 01:50:34 am »
I am from North Carolina. I like my BBQ with vinegar, not tomato. Same with my slaw :)

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2006, 02:27:37 am »
I have a time honored tradition on Easter... Tequilla Sunrise Services.  We have to meet at the base of a dormant volcano before sunrise on Easter Sunday.  As the bartender, I choose Mt. Konocti.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2006, 02:29:52 am »
Oh David,

In California we use pot plants too!  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Charlie

• uk-charlie.co.nr
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2006, 06:18:33 am »
Supposedly, the burnt areas of meat or bread / vegetables contain high levels of cancer causing chemicals, a bit like inhaling cigarette smoke, burnt particulates. But I think the key here is everything in moderation. one BBQ per week won't turn you into a cancerous wreck :-). Perhaps a healthier way would be to smoke food rather than BBQ / burning it.

Charlie

Offline Cliff

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2006, 06:31:30 am »
If you use marinades on your BBQ, that cuts down on the cancer causing agents, (which are more hype than substance, considering how infrequent people actually BBQ).

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2006, 08:46:48 am »
Supposedly, the burnt areas of meat or bread / vegetables contain high levels of cancer causing chemicals, a bit like inhaling cigarette smoke, burnt particulates. But I think the key here is everything in moderation. one BBQ per week won't turn you into a cancerous wreck  :-). Perhaps a healthier way would be to smoke food rather than BBQ / burning it.

I've heard the word carcinogens but anyway ... I myself often use a "clean plate" guideline. If xyz food doesn't easily wash off a plate, I then imagine my system will have a tough time with it. BBQ, lasagna, etc - i.e., food that "sticks to your ribs" (or in my mind, sticks to the plate, sticks to your cells)

Conversely (delving deeper into my food neuroses, sorry guys), I view foods that easily wash off of a plate as good for your cells e.g. salad, watermelon, corn kernels without butter ... although I find many exceptions to that guideline, e.g. hummus, oatmeal, rice ... Can I still come to the bbq? You guys can eat (and drink!) "the good stuff"
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 09:08:06 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2006, 09:32:57 am »
Al I tried to bbq hummus,oatmeal and rice once....but it kept falling through the grill.

Hal ::)

Offline jyngfilm

• AHH! I knew it, Betty had balls
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2006, 10:08:36 am »
I want to come too. To eat the bbq, to drink the margarita's.......and a little more somke''ll be ok. But mostly I want to come to meet all you wonderful wonderful people. I'd love to see it happen. ~jordon
munchausen by proxy is not an out in my case

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.