Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 07:29:30 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 185
Total: 186

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: PMMA long term safety and results.... Anyone had it longterm?  (Read 14152 times)

Offline curious1here

PMMA long term safety and results.... Anyone had it longterm?
« on: February 05, 2013, 08:17:31 am »
Hi, I am curious to hear from people who have has PMMA, preferable had it for years. I am loosing facial volume quickly it's like it's dissolving. I have used HA fillers but the cost of constantly having it done is a lot of money. I am aware of other fillers but want to focus on PMMA in this thread.

I just want to know if anyone has had any serious side effects after year of having it done. Plus, what are the results like after years....Is it still holding together and looking good?

Also considering getting it done and buttocks as lost a lot of volume there. Anyone who had it done there, would like to hear your results and opinions.

Thanks everyone x

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:33:32 am by curious1here »

Offline curious1here

Re: PMMA long term safety and results.... Anyone had it longterm?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 04:36:07 am »
wow...I really thought I would have had more responses. Does a forum that deals with this issue?

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 02:40:04 am »
I've had liquid silicone for about four years with no side-effects and seems to be holding up... face is just showing signs of normal aging now.  Sorry, no experience with PMMA, but liquid silicone might be something to consider instead.  You'll need to be absolutely sure you're dealing with an experienced physician because once it goes in, it doesn't come out... and it can migrate if too much is put in at one time. It would only be applicable for the face.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 02:42:38 am by MitchMiller »

Offline hoosier69

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 06:19:21 pm »
I had PMMA twice in 2010.  Which isn't exactly long term but it's still holding up nicely.

Offline curious1here

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 08:36:33 am »
Thanks for your responses x

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 07:30:56 am »
I had PMMA injections in face and buttocks in 2006. I have not experienced any complications and it still holding up.

Offline curious1here

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 05:12:56 am »
Great to hear the success stories, also asked on yahoo's poz board and no one had  issues, some going back to 2002. I wonder why USA doctors are giving it a bad rap. I know there are people getting stuff they think is PMMA getting injected in them but that another story.

Offline lindogatito2004

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 03:04:07 pm »
I had 2 times silicone in phoenix, az, about 10 yrs ago. looks pretty nice,  but i need more treatments, but is expensive to me.. i am under ryan white program, and my doctor referrer me to some dermatologist to get it done... I don't know what the doctor is gonna use to fill my face...

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 03:26:07 pm »
If you are on Ryan White and, assumably, have a financial situation that is not obviously large, you should look into the patient assistance program for Sculptra (although not PMMA so will always need touch ups). The company that manufactures this product changed several years ago and is now owned by Valeant (used to be through Dermik), but as far as I know they still maintained the patient assistance program for those of us that qualify financially.

However, this assistance is for the medical material only and doesn't cover the doctor's time/expense.

http://www.valeant.com/about/us-assistance-programs/patient-assistance

I'm not sure, but I think there is an assistance program for Radiesse as well.

ps: I had issues renewing through Valeant after my last treatment which was from the old Dermik company, so much so that at this point while I should have been qualified for new treatment in 2012 they were telling me, no not until 2014 -- ridiculous as the majority of my initial treatments were at the end of 2010. Frankly at this point I'm considering just foregoing the entire process, because it usually takes me four treatments over a two year period, and while I get the product free I must pay $50 per treatment session which is a discounted rate for the doctor's time making the injections. While I am grateful for the doctor's discount and he does a marvelous job, that still comes to $200 and I must consider that I also routinely pay cash for prescription glasses and custom molded orthotics, which in the end are more crucial. Oh, and let's not forget ~$2400 in medical insurance premiums annually.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:28:41 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline lindogatito2004

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 08:47:54 pm »
Thanks Miss Philicia. I found a doctor who take ryan white, is doctor sabata at harvey's clinic in Los Angeles, i might do it, next week.. My cheek are ok. it's not so deep like a used to be. thanks for the silicon.. I upload photos before and after...

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 01:44:54 am »
I think you mean Dr. Sabat at Wilshire Aesthetics (where Harvey Abrams practices).  That's where I got my silicone injections.  Dr. Abrams did a very good job.  I would like to get back there for more botox if I could ever get a day off from work.   I've tried three different doctors for botox and he was by far the best.  I swear one of the three injected me with saline.

Offline wolfthorn

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 11:07:12 pm »
PMMA implants have been used safely in people's eyes since the 70s with no bad side effects. It should hold up just fine.
7/10/13: Oraquick at Home (+)
7/11/13: CD4 <20, VL 286,000
7/26/13: Start Stribild, Bactrim, Azithromycin
8/13/13: CD4 64, VL 1194
9/11/13: CD4 87, VL 511
10/14/13: CD4 164, VL 34
10/15/13: Stop Azithromycin!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.