Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:09:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 209
Total: 210

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Oral Sex  (Read 4373 times)

Offline James7878

• Standard
Oral Sex
« on: February 25, 2013, 04:56:31 pm »
Hello two weeks ago I started to preform oral sex on a guy and just as he started to cum I pulled him out and said I couldn't keep going I then noticed some of his glands by the groin were large and hard he told me he was clean but then wanted to have anal with me I presume unprotected. Anyway I left and went straight to er since I didn't know him they gave me antibiotics and combiriv I started the pep about 16 hours later I have been so sick since I don't even feel alive anymore I have taken twice a day today is fourteenth day I have seen two additional drs just regular ones and they tell me there was risk and to keep taking pills. I hAve been reading and on medhelp some educators said it was no risk I am thinking of stopping combiriv and want to know what to expect and also if there is a risk is it better to keep on. Thank you for your time 

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Oral Sex
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 05:11:27 pm »
Nothing you did put you in any danger for HIV infection. I find it very irresponsible that an ER would prescribe PEP for a case of oral sex with a partner of unknown status. PEP is not only expensive, it is also a combination of very powerful drugs that can have harsh side effects.

Giving oral sex has NEVER been firmly documented as having transmitted HIV.

There have been no fewer than three long term studies of serodiscordant couples (where one partner is positive and one is negative) that lasted three, five and ten years. The couples used condoms for penetrative anal and vaginal sex, but chose not to use barrier protection for oral sex of any kind. At the end of these studies, not a single person seroconverted due to oral activity. Not one.

Also, referring to people who do not have HIV as "clean" is rather offensive. It implies that people with HIV are "dirty." I know the phrase has been around forever, but try to stop using it.

You can discontinue the PEP is you desire, as you had no risk.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline James7878

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 05:26:17 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I do agree about not liking the clean status. The Dr thought was that he appeared to have an infection of some kind since glands were hard and swollen on one side and that he wanted to penetrate me he was just shady although I was a part of the act as well. If he had been confirmed would that make a difference? I just can not take these pills any longer but I guess it's only two more weeks also my dr said to take thirty days I said online I read 28 he said do thirty so worried

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 06:32:42 pm »
Thanks for the reply. I do agree about not liking the clean status. The Dr thought was that he appeared to have an infection of some kind since glands were hard and swollen on one side and that he wanted to penetrate me he was just shady although I was a part of the act as well. If he had been confirmed would that make a difference? I just can not take these pills any longer but I guess it's only two more weeks also my dr said to take thirty days I said online I read 28 he said do thirty so worried

I have not heard of a protocol for non-occupational PEP prescription in an ER that deviates from unprotected anal or vaginal sex with someone. However, not all ER doctors are aware of or have not read the science supporting that protocol.

An awful lot of things can provide hard or swollen lymph nodes, from allergies to STDs. Nodes are really a terrible indicator of HIV infection, however. Newly infected people often have swollen nodes, but this is far from a certainty.

For the record, our risk assessment on these forums ALWAYS assumes that the partner in question is indeed HIV positive, with a high viral load. That sort of thinking prevents caveats which can be confusing on the site.

You had no risk over the incident as you described it, and should never have been prescribed PEP. Had you engaged in unprotected anal sex with the individual, even though he was not confirmed positive, I would better understand and even support your decision to engage in PEP. Now that you know how horrible the drugs can feel, please remember to wear a condom for penetrative sex.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline James7878

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 06:46:07 pm »
Thanks very much for your detailed response. I am going to stop tonight I hope I go back to feeling better soon. Even my heart is racing a mile minute.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 06:51:22 pm »
I have not heard of a protocol for non-occupational PEP prescription in an ER that deviates from unprotected anal or vaginal sex with someone. However, not all ER doctors are aware of or have not read the science supporting that protocol.

An awful lot of things can provide hard or swollen lymph nodes, from allergies to STDs. Nodes are really a terrible indicator of HIV infection, however. Newly infected people often have swollen nodes, but this is far from a certainty.

For the record, our risk assessment on these forums ALWAYS assumes that the partner in question is indeed HIV positive, with a high viral load. That sort of thinking prevents caveats which can be confusing on the site.

You had no risk over the incident as you described it, and should never have been prescribed PEP. Had you engaged in unprotected anal sex with the individual, even though he was not confirmed positive, I would better understand and even support your decision to engage in PEP. Now that you know how horrible the drugs can feel, please remember to wear a condom for penetrative sex.
Yes, there is Pep, nPEP and PrEP.

Pep is for occupational exposures
nPEP is for non-occupational exposures
PrEP is oral pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) for serodiscordant couples, men and transgender women who have sex with men at high risk of HIV.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 07:33:03 pm »
Sorry I did not parse the PEP/nPEP terminology correctly, RapidRod. Thank you for pointing that out.

Welcome Thread

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 07:48:17 pm »
LOL, can't keep all that useless trivia all archived in that brain.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.