Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:38:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 645
Total: 646

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The Co$t of Living With HIV  (Read 4738 times)

Offline ChaplinGuy

• Eat my left foot
The Co$t of Living With HIV
« on: November 02, 2006, 05:08:22 pm »

I thought this was worth a read for folks, as it's often a topic of conversation. Now real, hard data on the average lifetime cost of treating this disease:

http://www.webmd.com/content/article/129/117376

Offline Life

• Member 2005
Re: The Co$t of Living With HIV
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 05:12:13 pm »
I don't think i wana click that link... ;)

Offline Blixer

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 06:49:43 pm »
A very interesting article!  Lots of statistics in there that should make a lot of people stop and think.  I thought one of the most interesting points was that treating HIV is expensive, but getting a "late start" on treatement is even more expensive.  The point that meds make up about 70% of the cost is quite interesting.  Hopefully that is one area that we can see some reduction in costs as time goes on.
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline Eldon

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 07:14:04 pm »
Hey Chaplinguy,

As quoted: "Unfortunately, one in four people with HIV don't know they're infected. They find out only when their immune system collapses"

This is a true statement. Also, the government should step in to place some sort of regulation with the associated costs of the HIV medicines.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline Cliff

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 07:34:13 pm »
...and we're worth every penny.

Offline SoSadTooBad

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 09:05:51 pm »
May sound stupid, but I thought it would be more.  A decent sized car accident can cost $100,000 in medical expenses.  Smoking and other lifestyle related diseases like obesity probably have similar profiles in terms of expense. 

I sure wish I was not in this boat, but at this point, I am not so sure a lifetime of HIV treatment is so different from many other chronic illnesses. 

As patents expire, the introduction of generic drugs will drastically reduce the cost of medication over the next 10-20 years - even as new medications are introduced, generic versions of today's old standbys will offer a less expensive alternative for many.

Funny how much less of a stigma it would be to have cancer from a lifetime of smoking, or traumatic injury from a motorcycle accident.  We all just got 'lucky', I guess.

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 09:27:02 pm »
hrmmm

People with HIV can get 24 extra years of life from modern treatments -- at a total cost of $618,900 in 2004 dollars.

32+24=56

nice to have a death date.  So much easier in planning then.

Offline Esquare

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 11:27:17 pm »
hrmmm

32+24=56

nice to have a death date.  So much easier in planning then.

Yeah that is nice to know now.  :-\ :( 8)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 11:32:20 pm »
When first introduced in 1996, a combination of then-new HIV drugs increased life expectancy by four years.

I knew there was a reason I don't like to sit still. I missed my death date by six years!  ::)

HUGS,

Mark

(Who, despite the statistics, is still kicking.)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 11:35:24 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Eldon

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 11:36:25 pm »
Hey Mark,

You remind me of the Energizer Bunny, you know the pink rabbit with the drum? He keeps going and going....lol!

Right On The Mark!!!

Make the BEST of each and every Day!

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 05:58:22 am »
What caught my eye is the years expectancy.  Since I seroconverted in 1984, I will have reached the 24 something years in 2008.  Of course back in the dark ages, it took 2 years for me to get a diagnosis and I didn't start meds until the mid-1990's.  It wasn't that I was resisting treatments so much as the then available mono treatment didn't make any sense to me until my cd4's had reached a critical number at which point I did start and, fortunately, the cocktail had just been invented.  Not factored into this that I can recall are the medications and medical care which 'normal' people need as they age.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 06:32:52 am »
40,000 new cases annually. I find that unacceptable. I guess people just accept that as  a given. How complacent we all have become. So much more needs to be done in prevention and education. The lack of leadership in this area makes my head hurt.

I can't wait to vote ALL incumbents out of office on Tuesday. The USA is a floating piece of driftwood with no direction. We are falling apart as a nation.
Positive since 1985

Offline Maestro

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 09:21:01 am »
How on earth do they come up with this 24 year number?  If the article states that combo drug therapy started in 1996, then that was just 10 years ago.  Are they guessing another 14 years are coming?  The article clearly seems to state that the 24yrs are due to combo therapy. 

Offline ChaplinGuy

• Eat my left foot
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2006, 10:31:19 am »

Agree that the most jarring part of that article in the 24 year life expectancy claim. But the doctor quoted clearly states "at least" when speculating about the added years given current treatments.

And as many people here pointed out, many who are celebrating the quarter century HIV+ mark are still going strong! I think that the medical profession likes to have quantifiable data to champion, but it's important to remember that data is only as good as yesterday's results. For people who start HAART tomorrow, who catch it early ... I don't think they yet know how long you can survive infection today.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.