Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:39:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 301
Total: 301

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Blipping Crazy  (Read 4115 times)

Offline rainydaysandmondays

Blipping Crazy
« on: March 28, 2016, 08:04:55 pm »
Hi All! Well I've been positive for about 4 years now and have never really dealt with it head on!  My husband has recently left me and my latest labs smacked in face again with the reminder.  I have been undetectable for almost four years ago, but a year and half ago I had a viral load blip of 95, after three months went back to UD.  6 months ago I was still UD, then today I look at my labs and my viral load is at 34, but my cd4 went from 619 to 956 and %from 34 to 35! Since my husband left me, I engaged in destructive behavior and had a couple risky sexual encounters! I know it was dumb on my part, but now I'm worried current increase could be reinfection or superinfection!  Just need some thoughts to calm me down! Alone with my status here...

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
Re: Blipping Crazy
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 08:11:08 pm »
Your latest VL 'blip' shouldn't worry you. Aside from being very small, in some quarters it would still be classified as UD (ie. < 50 copies).

Looking at your other numbers, you have seen a big rise in CD4 and a rise in your CD4%, which is all good. I'm not really sure why this has worried you
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 08:20:21 pm »
the ARV meds you take act as both PrEP and PEP

i seriously doubt you need to be concerned with superinfection

but you do need to get hold of the self destructive behavior, knock it off

two small blips in four years, fantastic increase in CD4 count

you're letting fears get the better of you, everything is ok

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 08:42:29 pm »
Thank you Zach and Caveyuk, just no support system makes it difficult sometimes

Offline MahmoudK

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 04:48:14 pm »

Is this actually proven to be right?

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 05:59:27 pm »

If the op is on Truvada then yes, it is proven. That is why doctors are prescribing it for PeP and PreP. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 10:48:46 pm »
Hi,
Where i live, UD is anything under a VL of 40 since the tests can`t detect less than that. So based on that, you have not had a "blip" - Hurray!! :-)
I am similar to you, and get really paranoid over anything that is not perfect. Even though my VL is UD and my CD4 over 1200, i always stress over the smallest condition. This time i have noticed a rash/bites and am so stressed - what is this from? is it cancer? Syphilis? Super-infection??

I recently asked my doc re Super-infection and he told me,as BT65 and Zach mentioned, that the pills I take (Truvada and Edurant aka Complera) act as PreP and PeP. He said that only in a case where the partner had a strain that is resistant to BOTH pills, would there be a chance of getting super-infected, AND, according to him, it is so rare that practically i should not be concerned with. He said, if anything,  i should be much more concerned of getting other STD`s which are so much more common and easier to get.
I guess that our mind plays tricks on us and stresses us out for now reason. The best thing to do i guess in a case like that, is get support (this forum is great for that!) and if that does not help, go see a doctor and get their professional opinion. That always seems to help me. Good luck!

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 07:16:24 pm »
Thanks, had doctors appointment yesterday, and he said that there is nothing to worry about, that he isn't concerned, because of my numbers and trend.  I let my mind go places and I tell myself to stop, but I start googling every last scenario...and it's over from there.  I really appreciate the advice on this site....it has gotten me through many lonely scared nights....

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 05:36:26 am »
Hi Again,
Don`t feel like you are the only one that goes through that. I too freak out every time i have the slightest "thing" - all the worst case scenarios run through my mind. In fact, i am going through a weird episode right now and am POSITIVE it is all HIV related... :-)

Offline EUINAU

• New to This
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 08:35:12 pm »
I just want to say, stop worrying about what you have no control of. I do not know your situation but I want to share a little story to just say love yourself more ;)

I was infected and diagnosed 3 years ago, my ex partner is still negative. We've split up 12 months ago.

I didn't go through any issues after finding out as I was diagnosed during seroconversion and hospitalised for a week and I had the best nurse and doc to put my mind in ease.

I have however lost my job and my partner decided to call it a day at the same time.

I decided to travel and have been on the road for the past 13 months now.

I found that self love and living in the moment, i.e. Power of NOW is very important.

I am single and I am happiest I have ever been. I am currently setting up my own Life Coaching Practice and writing a book about my past 12 months and path to Freedom in me ;)

Love yourself first, enjoy the moment, enjoy the sunrise and sunset and the day in between. Thats all we know we have.

I have learnt most things we worry about never happen, so why waste the energy?

Have a beautiful day, love yourself first and keep smiling! ;)

Offline timmm55

• Unapologetically HIV Undetectable
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 04:02:03 pm »

I've never heard it quite put that way, but yes it is.
It's the other way around in reality,  as antiviral drugs were established first, and the drugs in PrEP were taken from that. PrEP is ART minus one drug for Negative people.

In discordant couples  it's been proven time and again for TasP studies (Treatment as Prevention) in the Partners Study, the Swiss Statement, Opposites Attract and many others.

Similar results for PrEP studies. But if a Negative person develops HIV (in the window period for example) they then need to take ART in it's full form.

Still, if a partner is HIV POZ and on anti-virals it doesn't confer any protection to their NEG partner above and beyond their activity. The negative partner is still at risk to any outside source. There were 4 people in the Partners Study who acquired HIV, but not from their partner! That was determined genetically.
I wondered about that! Did they (the Negative person) think they had acquired protection also???

Offline timmm55

• Unapologetically HIV Undetectable
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 04:16:40 pm »
Hi All! Well I've been positive for about 4 years now and have never really dealt with it head on!  My husband has recently left me and my latest labs smacked in face again with the reminder.  I have been undetectable for almost four years ago, but a year and half ago I had a viral load blip of 95, after three months went back to UD.  6 months ago I was still UD, then today I look at my labs and my viral load is at 34, but my cd4 went from 619 to 956 and %from 34 to 35! Since my husband left me, I engaged in destructive behavior and had a couple risky sexual encounters! I know it was dumb on my part, but now I'm worried current increase could be reinfection or superinfection!  Just need some thoughts to calm me down! Alone with my status here...

None of your spikes and blips could have caused HIV transmission.

Back in 2012 undetectable was <200 and no transmissions occurred at that level (see Partners Study).

https://www.poz.com/article/transmission-zero-25241-4476

I've seen/heard negative people throw out blips and spikes as a reason not to trust Undetectable people. As if the spikes could go to 500 VL. They use the same logic for semen and other bodily fluids....they too many not be exactly the same as their blood VL yet it follows closely.

Kaiser Permanente tests to <40. I've had a <48. So I guess it was a blip! I have 1232 T-cells, 1300 prior to that. Usually around 1200 with a high of 1600.

Based on that I don't sex is "risky" at all, without a condom. In terms of STDs yes, but not HIV.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 04:37:37 pm by timmm55 »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.