Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:25:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 383
Total: 385

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: No Blood Tests Before Marriage??!!!!  (Read 12221 times)

Offline redbull

No Blood Tests Before Marriage??!!!!
« on: July 31, 2009, 03:31:44 am »
I am not sure where to post this but here it goes...

Here is a link to a chart of the states that do or do not require a blood test before marriage. I AM SHOCKED!!! I cannot believe in this day in time after AIDS and all the stds that are out there that every single last state does not require a blood test before marriage....this is absolutely ridiculous!!! WTF?

The only states that require a blood test before marriage are....CT, DC, GA, Indiana, Mass, Miss, Montana, OK. I just cant believe they are the only ones...what do you think?

http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/blood_test_requirements/index.shtml
If you wish to see the best in others, show the best of yourself.

5/20/09  tested poz
6/2/09  CD4-94    VL-380,000
8/09   Allergic reaction to bactrim
9/09/09  started Atripla
5/10    cd4 315  vl undetectable
3/11    cd4 400  undetectable
6/11.   Cd4 520. Undetectable
12/11. Cd4 450. Undetectable
6/12.   Cd4 600. UD
2/13.   Cd4 425. UD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: No Blood Tests Before Marriage??!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 02:21:13 pm »
Wow, that is surprising. It says "many states have recently eliminated blood tests". It does seem stupid. I got married in NYC in 1984 and we both had to have a syphilis blood test - but NY is one of the states that no longer has this requirement. It would seem to make sense to test for hiv nowdays.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline dixieman

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 02:49:46 pm »
I think the government knows more than their letting on... it makes one wonder how many people are truly infected with a blood disease... or sexually infectious disease that can be detected by the blood... its a thought?

Offline sdguyloveslife

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 02:58:48 pm »
Can you help me understand your post?  or your surprise that states do not require pre-marriage testing? 

I'm not sure I see the purpose of forcing couples to test before getting married?  Maybe it could be on a list of "suggested" tests for couples considering marriage, but I'm not sure "state-forced testing" is the way to go?  If you test positive - would they prohibit you from getting married?  Or does it just make your positive status a matter of public record on your marriage license?  So much for privacy? 

Maybe I'm reading too much into it?  Or maybe I'm missing the point entirely?  But, from the way I understand it now, I'd rather have medical privacy. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 03:00:28 pm by sdguyloveslife »
Do not condemn the judgment of another because it differs from your own. You may both be wrong.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 04:56:50 pm »
I think states are no longer requiring them because, from a public health standpoint they aren't very useful.  The requirement is antiquated because many (most??) couples getting married today have already had sex, so if they had an STD they now probably both have it.
Additionally, these screening tests where limited to syphilis in most states -- and they didn't pick up enough positives to warrant this expense. -- at least this was true when I work in a lab in the state of RI, when it was a required pre-marital test.
Why single out folks getting married for STD screening anyway -- seems somewhat arbitrary to me.  Screen all sexually active adults during routine physicals.

Mike

Offline md

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 02:30:42 am »
Actually I am shocked that there are any states that do require such a test.

Years ago, when I first heard that you had to get a blood test before you could get married in the US I thought that it must be a joke - I mean what civilized country would do something like that - and what business is it of the state anyway? I mean, what happens if one or both of the parties do test positive for something - do they not get the marriage license or what? While you might want to encourage couples to get tested and to share the results with each other who else gets to see the results?

Sorry, this is just one of those bizarre US things that I thought had died out by now but obviously it hasn't ...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 02:37:29 am by md »

Offline weasel

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 06:49:55 am »
Connecticut   DOES NOT  require a blood test !

Has NOT  for years !

Bob and I got married on July 11th  and asked if it was just for GAY  marriage  and the nice
woman  said they have not used it is years !

be good , Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 08:02:12 am »
I agree with sdguy and md.  I don't think people should be required to give blood tests before marriage.  Somehow, it just seems that goes against's someone's right to privacy.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline randym431

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 07:01:03 am »
In iOwa none is needed. And we have same sex marriage now (yeah).
I guess I dont get the point anyway. Or how marriage has anything to do with it.
Its not like many are virgins in white on wedding day.

But people, all people, should be tested.
I think any doctor visit for any reason, a cold, a cut, a sore back, anything, they should test
automatically every few years (at least). Old, young, babies thru seniors.
How could it hurt? Knoweldge is power...  ;)
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline TechBearSeattle

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 12:26:43 am »
As for Washington State, the law requires that a couple applying for a marriage license swear a jurat that they either have no STDs or, if they do, the condition is already know to the co-applicant. Falsely swearing is felony perjury. This has been the law since the early 1980s, if memory serves. There are occasional rumblings from the Legislature to change back to mandatory testing, but this policy seems to be working well enough.
Some days, it just comes down to whether you will laugh or cry. When possible, I chose to laugh.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.