Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:27:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 682
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 675
Total: 675

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The American Absolutely Fabulous  (Read 9245 times)

Offline Basquo

The American Absolutely Fabulous
« on: May 14, 2009, 08:43:25 pm »
I googled and found out some stuff…actress I don’t know playing Edina, actress I do know playing Patsy.  Kristen Johnston was one of the aliens on 3rd Rock From the Sun, and I think she  might be able to pull this off.  This isn’t the greatest picture, or even the best picture I found, but I’ve been an Ab Fab fan for 15 years this summer. I hope it does better than Coupling.

http://www.queerty.com/the-ab-fab-diary-on-the-remake-set-with-edina-and-patsy-20090315/

Cheers Darling!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: The American Absolutely Fabulous
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 08:49:16 pm »
Sorry sweetheart but there isn't anyone who can play Patsy and Edina like "our" Patsy and Edina...it's just not going to happen... ;)

Hugs
Jan :-*
( An Ab Fab Fan)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 09:14:22 pm »
Thanks for the dreamcrusher, Jan!  Just kidding...I know it cannot be redone, but I've had hope ever since Rosanne Barr (her name at the time) bought the rights, and then they said a movie was being made with Bette Midler and Goldie Hawn...that turned out to be The First Wive's Club...and then they said it would be on TV...and that was Cybill Shepard's show, funny but not the same...so maybe now it will at least be a decent go of it.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 09:40:55 pm »
This is such a tragic idea they're doing.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Texan38

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 09:50:16 pm »
I loved that show! I still do but America just doesn't have the sharp, British wit which makes the show soo much fun. Sadly, I think, Americans (at least TV censorship) are still way too conservative to do anything close to capturing the true essence that is the brilliance of 'AbFaB'.
I anticipate watching it, out of curiosity but I honestly believe it's going to be Absolutely Fabulous - Lite.
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 06:09:56 am »
The French version was HORRIBLE. 
Highly doubt that Americans can pull this off.
Also, the times have changed. Those characters in a movie/TVseries set in 2009 won't be so funny. And if it is a period project, why bother, we can watch the original.
I was surprised the sex and the city movie made money. Again, wrong characters, wrong plots, for the moment.
Well you never know
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Basquo

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 08:10:02 am »

Highly doubt that Americans can pull this off.

Keep in mind that Jennifer Saunders has her Eddie-Pie-Hands in on this production. One can hope, if one keeps a positive attitude.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 10:30:22 am »
At best the new Ab Fab would be like the remake of The Office-- similar characters and premise but evolved into a different show. Personally I think the idea is almost, but not quite, as bad as remaking The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Somehow I don't see NBC greenlighting Patsy advocating abortion with a knitting needle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbRFDcl2GIA

Offline Basquo

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 01:17:34 pm »

Somehow I don't see NBC greenlighting Patsy advocating abortion with a knitting needle.

I think Fox is producing it, so maybe she can can get away with it.

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 01:22:56 pm »
I believe Married with Children was produced at Fox Studios, and for that time period they got away with alot.  I agree with the others there are no replacements for Pats and Eds, see what happens, anyone who is a Joanna Lumley fan she is in Sweeny Todd playing on showtime this month.
Buzz ♥

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 02:13:46 pm »
NBC got away with Karen Walker's drinking and drugging and occasional smoking
Buzz ♥

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 06:39:30 pm »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 07:08:57 pm »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 08:14:37 pm »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 08:18:14 pm »
Cheer up sweetpea, happiness is just around the bend:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1181577/Kajagoogoo-Codger-googoo-reunite-tour-25-years.html

I cannot get "Too Shy" out of my brain now.  Talk about a flashback.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mecch

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2009, 08:35:43 pm »
we are mixing decades now, dears.
Kajagoogoo Flock of Seagulls and Spandau Ballet, not to mention Haircut 100. Culture Club.
saw them all live a few times.
But Ab Fab is terribly 90's
what is the relation between pretty boy 80's new wave and Ab Fab?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline sammolloy

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2009, 08:46:53 pm »
 8) I really don't think they can TOP the original... Why not just try something new?
Never Give Up

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2009, 09:15:41 pm »
we are mixing decades now, dears.
Kajagoogoo Flock of Seagulls and Spandau Ballet, not to mention Haircut 100. Culture Club.
saw them all live a few times.
But Ab Fab is terribly 90's
what is the relation between pretty boy 80's new wave and Ab Fab?

"full of fail" comment, Captain Obvious.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2009, 06:34:44 am »
Cheer up sweetpea, happiness is just around the bend:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1181577/Kajagoogoo-Codger-googoo-reunite-tour-25-years.html

~shudder~

Thankfully, I don't remember them the first  time around!

I do remember the other bands Mecch mentions though. But Kajagaga? googoo? Bleh!

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2009, 02:59:27 pm »
Ann, they were fluffy and fabulous!

Offline Cubwithaheart

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 02:49:51 am »
My favorite line from the whole show was by Patsy to Saffie.

Patsy: [to Saffie] Oh, you little bitch troll from hell! You mean, ungrateful, little bit of dirt! You think you've had it so hard. I never had the things you had when I was born.
Saffron: Oh, here we go.
Patsy: I never had friends or parties or presents. Ya know? The first few years of my life I was just locked in a room!
Patsy: [to Saffie] I resent you!
Edina: [trying to calm Patsy] No you don't.
Patsy: Yes I do. I hate you! Just when my life hit a good patch, along you came, you miserable piece of flesh. You should've ended up in the dust bin! The incinerator was too good for you! You know, when I heard that Eddie was pregnant, I told her to abort! ABORT, ABORT, ABORT! I said "Chuck it down the pan!". I said "Bring me..."
Saffron: [Interrupting] A knitting needle?
Patsy: [Fiercely] A knitting needle!
Saffron: [Saffie slaps Patsy's face]

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 08:13:53 am »
Cub thats one of my favorite episodes as well.  ;D
Buzz ♥

Offline Cubwithaheart

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2009, 11:20:08 am »
That and the one where they goto France and get drunk at the vineyard.. Now that's how I wanna spend my weekend !

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2009, 11:46:16 am »
Yeah, the France one is great.  That's probably a tie with the Morocco one for my favorite.

I own the box set DVD collection (the first one, I'm seeing a new one on amazon that comes in a quilted silver cover and has the Christmas specials as extras... how fabulous! plus I think the first box set was only seasons 1-3, and this has 1-5 damn it, I hate when they do this capitalist pigs) and now might have to spend the day with Patsy. 

Offline Basquo

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 11:59:16 am »
Miss P, the quilted boxed set is absolutely worth the money if you're a true fan.  There's a ton of extras, many of which I hadn't seen before, including a pilot for a totally different show utilizing much of the cast from Ab Fab.  I was so excited to get it I posted back in January!

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=25425.msg318274#msg318274

Offline Texan38

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 12:45:40 pm »
I had ordered the boxed set and when I received it in the mail I was soo excited, I think I peed a little.  :D
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 01:09:06 pm »
I originally had the 1st 5 seasons on VHS, have them on DVD now, then i bought the next new season, then bought the next new season after that, then bought White Box, and bought Saffie's wedding and Gay the Xmas one is in the 3rd new season this season is the one where Saffie is pregnant, now they have them altogether probably for a cheaper price.  When i say next new season, as they also would say the show was going off the air then they would turn around with a new set of episodes. So I just call them new seasons
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 01:12:39 pm by BUZZCUTT »
Buzz ♥

Offline BUZZCUTT

« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2009, 01:14:58 pm »
Anybody collect any of the French and Saunders episodes?  I have a couple.
Buzz ♥

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2009, 01:32:50 pm »
Miss P, the quilted boxed set is absolutely worth the money if you're a true fan.  There's a ton of extras, many of which I hadn't seen before, including a pilot for a totally different show utilizing much of the cast from Ab Fab.  I was so excited to get it I posted back in January!

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=25425.msg318274#msg318274

That's good to know.  I'm just sure I spent an equivalent amount on that first boxed set 6 years ago or so.  I guess I can give my current boxed set to someone as a gift.

Offline Basquo

« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2009, 02:16:46 pm »

Borders is closing out their music and videos and a month ago I found 4 DVDs of French and Saunders for $7.49 each.  I snapped them up faster than...I don't know what!  I've been wanting them for a while, so I was pleased to find 4 of them at that price. They are pretty funny, and have a few extras too.

Offline mecch

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2009, 04:58:10 pm »
On Dlisted.com on Friday, the news is that the Ab Fab pilot will be shelved and there will be no series.

http://www.dlisted.com/node?page=2

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2009, 05:08:19 pm »
This is such a tragic idea they're doing.

Yeah, and so was Kath & Kim, our american version of that show, on NBC-TV, just wasn't very good at all
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2009, 06:53:42 pm »
News flash:

It's a telly program. It's not real.

Seriously.

I would not kid you.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2009, 07:06:25 pm »
Sorry Ann but Kath and Kim are real..I lived next door to that family before I moved to NZ...I kid you not, and yes that is "Kel's" real hair style..(although I have always known him as Don) ..;)

As for "Patsy" she is a very good friend of mine and lives in Australia..in fact quite a few of you have met her.. ;D

Hugs

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2009, 07:28:38 pm »
Sorry Ann but Kath and Kim are real..I lived next door to that family before I moved to NZ...I kid you not, and yes that is "Kel's" real hair style..(although I have always known him as Don) ..;)

As for "Patsy" she is a very good friend of mine and lives in Australia..in fact quite a few of you have met her.. ;D

Hugs

Oh dear. I stand corrected.

Does this mean that Jack Duckworth really keeps pigeons?

Do tell.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline fearless

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2009, 09:54:41 pm »
Ann/Jan,

All Aussies have a bit of Kath and Kim in them, that's why they were so funny. And, well, what Aussie male doesn't like the thought of making his own 'gourmet' sausages.
And, Fountain Lakes Plaza does exist 'for real' in suburban Melbourne, Vic.

Philly,

As for the getting the DVD of the last two series of Ab Fab, personally I wouldn't bother. The last two series were nowhere near as funny as the earlier ones.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2009, 10:33:09 pm »

Philly,

As for the getting the DVD of the last two series of Ab Fab, personally I wouldn't bother. The last two series were nowhere near as funny as the earlier ones.

Yeah, I thought that's how I recalled it at the time.

Offline Robert

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2009, 11:04:48 pm »

Hugs

I have absolutely no idea what any of you are talking about.  I am totally in the dark.

But I know 'Pasty'.  I have met 'Patsy'.  'Patsy and I are friends.  And I've met 'Patsy's' husband.

The Lady is a Tramp ....oops I meant to say The Lady and the Tramp.....oops that's not right ....oh forget it.

Jan, please help me.  Tell them when push comes to shove 'Patsy' and I can make our own sausage.

robt

Offline Cubwithaheart

« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2009, 03:37:47 am »

I'm gonna start buying them once I get my part time job. I need something to watch on the weekends when I get my friends over for wine and movie night
« Last Edit: May 18, 2009, 12:44:11 pm by Cubwithaheart »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.